• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Teh Future

Smash Master
lol best video ever.

Since MetalPubesMan isnt going to Milks tourney this saturday I think I should rides with steven if he is still going cause I dont wanna drive like an hour away with mah f' up coche

_Wolfy_

Smash Cadet
Oh wow...
Legan you shouldn't record your ancient rituals with your friends and post them on youtube with the legend of zelda music played to it.
oh and ****it it post your address on the boards so we can smash together.
well more or less me taking you out in some hardcore link battles.

Nunchukgun

Smash Rookie
Looking for Smashin's

So I just got back from school and I've got nothing to do for the summer, so I thought I'd try and find some people to Smash with. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and I want to try to get in on Melee a little more before it finally kicks the bucket. Does anyone know of any events nearby and/or soon?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This Saturday...

...at an otherwise unimportant tourney in St. Louis...

The top players from brackets will be invited to experience something unprecedented...

SMASH BROS. DRAFT FORMAT

8 players. 4 unique characters each. Who will you choose?

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE, BUT THEY MUST USE FOUR!

Official ruleset will be posted soon, until then, feel free to express your profound confusion.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
(Standard SBR rules where not otherwise specified.)

In draft format, everyone selects 4 unique characters at the start of the tourney in a draft. (Exact details on the draft procedure can be read below.) Players may not use any character more than once a set; in other words, they will use each character once. How?

All sets are best of FOUR. In case of a 2-2 tie, the final match is the tie breaker. (That means whenever a 4th match is required, winner takes all!) This number of matches makes stage counter-picking go like this:

Neutral
Counterpick A
Counterpick B
Neutral of the leader's choice

In other words, both players always get one stage counterpick. Whoever wins the first match gets to decide what order the players counterpick, and if the players split 2-1 the leader gets to decide the last stage from the neutrals.

After the stage for each game is determined, both players decide which of their characters they will use. They reveal at the same time.

Draft Procedure:
The 8 participants are randomly numbered 1-8. There are 36 characters to draft from; Sheik/Zelda and PT count as one character, but ZSS and Samus are seperate. (Samus is allowed to transform though.) Players pick in an ABBA pattern:

The four unchosen characters are the "sideboard". If a player is ever really unhappy with a matchup after they and their opponent reveal characters, the player may decide to instead play as one of the unchosen sideboard characters. The player still cannot play the original character they picked in that set again, and no player can use the same sideboard character more than once the entire tourney.

FULL EXAMPLE:

During the draft, I pick Ness first round since I think I'm good with Ness and know the other players are too. Second round future picks Jigglypuff before I can, but Snake wasn't picked yet so I gladly take him. Third round most the good characters are gone, so I decide to take Sheik/Zelda. Fourth round there are very few characters left, and the only one I'm decent with is Ganondorf.

First round I play future. I know I'm at a big disadvantage, since I picked Ganondorf and he has both ICs (no one else wanted to pick them first round) and Jigglypuff. He also has Bowser and Lucas, his third and fourth round picks.

I suspect future is going to save the ICs for last, so I figure I will save Snake to fight them. I predict he is going to lead with Jigglypuff, so I decide to go Ness. It turns out I was wrong, future goes ICs first, and beats me. He wants me to counter-pick first, so I counter-pick Green Greens. I figure there is no way he'll play Jigglypuff there, so I can get a win with Ganondorf.

Unfortunately, future saw through my plan and went Jigglypuff as I went Ganondorf. I decide that there is no way I want to play this matchup, and will play a sideboard character instead of Ganondorf. The characters no one picked were Yoshi, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Samus. I'm probably best with Falcon, but I might want to save him for a another set since I can only use each sideboard once, ever. I decide to play Yoshi, and use my matchup experience with JGALT along with the stage advantage to win.

Future's turn to counter-pick, so he picks Norfair to be ironic. He goes Bowser and I go Snake, and I barely win. Since I lead 2-1, I get to pick which neutral we play on for our final Lucas vs. Sheik showdown. I pick Battlefield hoping I'll get easier Sheik gimps on a smaller stage, but no luck. Future's Lucas manages to beat my Zelda, and he wins the set 2-2.

Got it? Sound awesome? Good.

Nunchukgun

Smash Rookie
I feel like a ******* asking this, but does anyone want to set up some small groupish Melee? I don't know where to go/how to do this because I'm new to SmashBoards

Teh Future

Smash Master
First round I play future. I know I'm at a big disadvantage, since I picked Ganondorf and he has both ICs (no one else wanted to pick them first round) and Jigglypuff. He also has Bowser and Lucas, his third and fourth round picks.

I suspect future is going to save the ICs for last, so I figure I will save Snake to fight them. I predict he is going to lead with Jigglypuff, so I decide to go Ness. It turns out I was wrong, future goes ICs first, and beats me. He wants me to counter-pick first, so I counter-pick Green Greens. I figure there is no way he'll play Jigglypuff there, so I can get a win with Ganondorf.

Unfortunately, future saw through my plan and went Jigglypuff as I went Ganondorf. I decide that there is no way I want to play this matchup, and will play a sideboard character instead of Ganondorf. The characters no one picked were Yoshi, Sonic, Captain Falcon, and Samus. I'm probably best with Falcon, but I might want to save him for a another set since I can only use each sideboard once, ever. I decide to play Yoshi, and use my matchup experience with JGALT along with the stage advantage to win.

Future's turn to counter-pick, so he picks Norfair to be ironic. He goes Bowser and I go Snake, and I barely win. Since I lead 2-1, I get to pick which neutral we play on for our final Lucas vs. Sheik showdown. I pick Battlefield hoping I'll get easier Sheik gimps on a smaller stage, but no luck. Future's Lucas manages to beat my Zelda, and he wins the set 2-2.

Got it? Sound awesome? Good.

:laugh: Are we still going to do singles pools/teams?

Edit: nunchukgun, here is the tournament thread, but it is only a brawl tourney.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220489

There are people in stl that play melee, they dont seem to play very much or at least not get on SWF often though.\

Rob Gambino and other people Im sure will play melee with you there, but there probably wont be enough setups to spare one for melee until after the tournament is over

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I feel like a ******* asking this, but does anyone want to set up some small groupish Melee? I don't know where to go/how to do this because I'm new to SmashBoards
I would suggest going to the next get together that "Geno" hosts, or alternatively playing with darkatma, dekuscrub, legan, toga, random, or myself. STL plays a ton of both melee and brawl.

Also, mm please.

_Wolfy_

Smash Cadet
Nunchukgun I'm all with you on melee i've been trying to get stuff together but my buddies and me (which only one other is on the boards his name is boss) play all the time up at his house your welcome to come along. Maybe when Legan gets on the boards he'll post back about getting together at his house cause otherwise geno's house only comes around once a blue moon (but it definitely is hella fun when it happens)

alt-F4

Smash Ace
David you should come and stay at the house on Friday night then I will drive you to the tourney the next day how does that sound??? I will try to check the internet a little more, but it is so hard when you don't have internet at your house :(

darkatma

Smash Hero
also i wouldn't mind smashing sometime saturday or sunday
you guys can come over
melee, of course. I'm getting rusty. I dont want to be rusty.

@ nunchukgun: I'm highly doubting you'll be able to keep up with most of the melee-er's skill levels unless you're actually secretly amazing. At this point I can basically beat anyone who's name I don't recognize pretty easy. And some that I do as well. Not so weak :p But come over anyways I didn't mean to talk down to you, I just want some challenge.

Teh Future

Smash Master
David you should come and stay at the house on Friday night then I will drive you to the tourney the next day how does that sound??? I will try to check the internet a little more, but it is so hard when you don't have internet at your house :(
lol I was gonna come on here and say something about how your house was terrible because you didnt have the internets. That sounds good for now although I might be doing something friday(Prob not though, too many people have work johns).

My numba is 636-345-1669 just gimmi a text or something so Ill have yours and then we can figure it out from dar. Also is it OK if I bring a setup with me(TV+Wii)

Im gettin kinda hyped for AR even though its low profile should be fun :D

Book!

Smash Journeyman
Don't be intimidated by darkatma. Just moonwalk a lot and you should be good.

Nunchukgun

Smash Rookie
So funny story about never learning super advanced technique. I main Ganon, and the best I've really got down is consistent L-Canceling and the occasional Wave-Scoot across the platforms on battlefield. I need to find new people so that I can learn the crazy ****.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So funny story about never learning super advanced technique. I main Ganon, and the best I've really got down is consistent L-Canceling and the occasional Wave-Scoot across the platforms on battlefield. I need to find new people so that I can learn the crazy ****.
We don't play with those YouTube tactics in St. Louis.

Top Bottom