• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

darkatma

Smash Hero
i knew you were gonna say the underwear comment.

naw the fire alarm stopped after a few minutes. turns out it was my suitemate lmao...
AGAIN. he takes the hottest showers ever, and then leaves the shower door open when he comes out, and the steam gets detected as smoke.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hey guys, WUGS Arcade is going on now. Everyone should come to Wash U and play video games, we'll be here all night. Bring $5, we have pizza.

And Geno, you still have my Melee disc.

Edit: Like no seriously, we have a ton of cool games here. Geno, if you come, I'll play SMRPG with you. Or something.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Scanning through this thread it looks like a lot of you guys just go over to eachother's houses and play. Sounds like something I'd want to be a part of (I can drive...sort of. Recently got my license).

In what general area are you guys? If you don't feel like giving me an address, counties work. I live in High Ridge, close to Cedar Hill. That's about 30 minutes from St. Louis itself.

MuBa

Smash Lord
If you're interested in Brawl -> MMM's place on Tuesday @ 5 PM
Washington University's Eliot dorm (Time varies)

If you're interested in Melee -> Same thing with the Wash U
GenoBlast's house (usually on Fridays but currently not available)

edit: Good times you guys. Hope to play Melee/Brawl again soon.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Melee? Pff, Melee is old news. =P

Tuesdays don't work for me, though. Argh. >_< Sports and homework. Weekends are all I can muster.

Teh Future

Smash Master
You'd be in for a bit of a drive if you went to Metal's anyways.

I would suggest you don't say melee is old news, the competitive scene is almost as large as Brawl's, not to mention the majority of people near St. Louis prefer playing it.

I'm off work on Tuesday if metal's hosting, and Thursday if anyone else wants to play I'm up for any game.

Edit: I've also been working on Bowser for Brawl. He's actually very fun to play with his jump canceling that makes him about twice as fast. I just wish you could short hop his aerials with it rather than full jump.

I also started playing that one game for SNES that everyone seems to like...

MuBa

Smash Lord
It seems like Future has defected to Melee...which is not a bad thing since that game too is great.

But I'm gonna be concentrating more on Brawl cuz of MLG (in case if they end up having a Circuit in the near future).

Also, hear the Mario Remix from my previous post you guys! It's epic as hell!

Teh Future

Smash Master
It seems like Future has defected to Melee...which is not a bad thing since that game too is great.

But I'm gonna be concentrating more on Brawl cuz of MLG (in case if they end up having a Circuit in the near future).

Also, hear the Mario Remix from my previous post you guys! It's epic as hell!
No, not at all. I still practice brawl more than any other game just because I did horrible last time I played with Will and his roomate and it made me mad(and wavedashing is ****ty and random). I don't think I really prefer playing any game over the others, I just think it's stupid when people bash one for no reason so I'm going to defend no matter which game it is.

Edit: **** that remix makes me want to main mario and use that in a combo vid olololol

ok is it really necessary to edit what beavers make

Last edit: muba watch ninja links snake it's so 1337.... except for the SDs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL2eTtfm0to

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace

Teh Future

Smash Master
EDIT: I don't like Melee. I have surprisingly slow fingers for a gamer, and Melee completely requires finger speed to be any good. Brawl relies more on the mindgames; thus why I prefer Brawl.
Yeah that's definitely the main thing I dislike about melee. but I don't know it also makes it extremely fast which in turn can make it more exciting sometimes. but yeah I hate having to make my fingers move waayy too fast in order to do something.

Edit: Pyro do you play ssb64?

darkatma

Smash Hero
lol pryo
-_-

brawl really doesn't rely on more ****games at all =[
i'll prove it to you when you play me brawl

at most i'd say they required the same amount of ****games

also, mindgames are obsolete(don't use that word it makes you look noob). that word has no meaning to it. More often, it's a combination of predicability, spontaneity, reading people, etc. melee tests reflex time, requires a certain amount of rote learning, but always gives you potential for improvement.

I like brawl; i won't spew a list of complaints against it, but saying brawl relies more on mindgames than melee is plain stupidity :p

also, i think i'll learn brawl now, just so i can be best at it, and then complain about how much it sucks. just like cort, and m2k, and pc.

Teh Future

Smash Master
m2k said he prefers playing brawl over melee.

also. Does anyone want to play tonight? I can't house, but I'm not doing anything.... so yeah.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Yeah that's definitely the main thing I dislike about melee. but I don't know it also makes it extremely fast which in turn can make it more exciting sometimes. but yeah I hate having to make my fingers move waayy too fast in order to do something.

Edit: Pyro do you play ssb64?
That's not true, you could just play Ganon or Jigglypuff. It doesn't take fast fingers (that's why I play Ganon), just fast thinking (that's why I stink with Ganon).

Also wavedashing is really not that hard. With a little practice it becomes just like c-sticking. You don't think "okay I need to push X/Y, then down-foward, then L/R", you just think "okay wavedash forwaqrd" and your fingers automatically execute that sequence of buttons. As far as muscle memory goes, I'm sure you do much more complex stuff movements than that every single day.

Not that wavedashing is all that important anyway.

Teh Future

Smash Master
wavedashing isn't important with certain characters I agree, but when there is platforms you need to know the same basic functions and it makes your mobility a lot better.

Also, I don't think you can really choose who you main, it's more of who fits your style. I enjoy comboing the crap out of people. But my fingers don't move so fast. my playstyle should be determined by what I want to do, not what I'm limited to because my fingers aren't fast.

plus falcon is sooooo manly, how can anyone not main him in melee?

Teh Future

Smash Master
What I'm trying to say is, I don't think how fast you move your fingers should relate to your skill level.

Anyways, someone play me in something, I'm soooooo bored and I got pissed at chrono trigger because I kept using heal and was wondering why it didn't increase my health

seriously why would you have something named heal if it doesn't heal you? logic ftl.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
If Brawl doesn't require as much "****games," then what DOES it require?

I could wavedash fine. I just didn't enjoy the fact that I was practically REQUIRED to wavedash all over the place and L-Cancel after EVERY attack.

EDIT: And no, I never really played SSB64. I've got an emulator and I HAVE played it, but not seriously.

darkatma

Smash Hero
i dunno pyrotek
play me in melee, i'll beat you with marth's fsmash only.

brawl requires more camping, and waiting, and spamming :p otherwise, it doesn't require more of anything else. it's not a terrible game though.

@ future
how fast your fingers move relate to skill level in all sorts of games. brawl for example. metaknight's downB infinite stall?

lets see... O2jam, gears of war, halo series, mario kart series with snaking, 64, melee, the list goes on. some amount of technical skill is always required. what you're saying is that you don't like melee's learning curve, which is incredibly steep.

also m2k didn't say he liked brawl better than melee, i dunno where you're getting that from. that's like gimpyfish saying he liked brawl way better, but then quitting.

edit:
nvm i don't support melee vs brawl arguements when someone is like "i'm too noob to play brawl" or "i'm too noob to play melee", the latter which is generally the case.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I could wavedash fine. I just didn't enjoy the fact that I was practically REQUIRED to wavedash all over the place and L-Cancel after EVERY attack.

on a side note, I don't enjoy the fact that zelda's grab release is a free kick on wario, or that dedede completely counters wario and donkey kong. I don't like how getting grabbed as ness or lucas means death, or how falcos are required to chain grab and learn how to reverse directions on the chain grab in order to be good. I don't like how very little skill is involved in nearly all of those things.

i admire people who can play jiggs and stuff though

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
don't forget starcraft.. probably the most successful competitive game ever requires extremely fast fingers...

OH AND BIG UPDATE!!!

i might not be able to go to KC? why you ask?

because i got two speeding tickets over the past 2 years and the state suspended my license!!! YESSSS

Lixivium

Smash Champion
If Brawl doesn't require as much "****games," then what DOES it require?

You don't enjoy having to L-cancel, I don't enjoy being REQUIRED to use aerials only at the start of my jump, and having to space it perfectly or abandon my approach and start over.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Edit: I'm too noob to play Brawl.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hay guys, I think we should compare the pros and cons of Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

That would be super.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
xD

Sorry about that, guys. I guess I'm just a noob.

Let's just leave it at this: I prefer Brawl over Melee because in Brawl I don't get dominated as hard.

Top Bottom