• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSBU Stagelist Discussion

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Question: why do so many people insist on having lylat be the final starter? It’s universally been the most controversial stage(at least in ssb4) and now people want it so badly to the point where it’s replacing FD as a starter stage in SnS??? I have to call bs. Someone please explain this **** to me
Ultimate Lylat isn't nearly as bad as Smash 4 Lylat, I'd even say it's a pretty good stage. Balance wise it's better as a starter than Final Destination, actually. Anyway, it's not really Lylat replacing FD as much as Town & City replacing FD, Town and FD are more similar than Lylat and FD.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
So, 3.1.0 came out, and it actually did change some stages. The spawn points of some stages have been adjusted to be more central and also more symmetrical. I know this at least affects Kalos Pokemon League and PictoChat 2. It's possible that there are others as well, but those are the only ones I can remember having weird spawn points, and both of them have been fixed. This makes these stages more balanced, although I doubt it will make a difference in stage viability in the long run.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There's also the usual claims of "Fountain of Dreams seems less laggy" but it likely meaning nothing even if it is proven true.
When 3.0 dropped someone confirmed me that FoD usually drops frames when it's on Docked and with 1080p resolution, but not when it's on Tabletop Mode (or Handheld I guess), or if resolution is lowered to 720p.
So weird.
:196:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Not a competitive player, but I'm kinda curious: what's the consensus on Spiral Mountain? in the trailer we see its Omega form with a strange spinning gimmick that seems purely cosmetic, and judging from this screenshot it might have a neutral layout similar to Kalos.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Not a competitive player, but I'm kinda curious: what's the consensus on Spiral Mountain? in the trailer we see its Omega form with a strange spinning gimmick that seems purely cosmetic, and judging from this screenshot it might have a neutral layout similar to Kalos.
We have literally 5 seconds or so of footage, none of which was particularly focused on showing details about the stage beyond the cosmetic. (e.g. the background, Gruntilda's Lair, Gruntilda herself) Not to mention it was almost certainly filmed with hazards on, which for our purposes makes it even less useful. There's no way anyone can form a reasonable opinion on the stage's legality at this point. There are simply too many unknowns.

Also, this is nitpicking, but Omega forms float over a void. Therefore what we did see wasn't the Omega form.

(That said, the music remix absolutely slaps.)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Sky Altar looks like FD, almost identical layout and size. I don't think it'll be legal unless I'm missing something.
Spiral Mountain looks like Kalos with a smaller stage. If it truly is smaller and those platforms work the way they look like they work, maybe it could replace Kalos?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
We have seen not enough to make any calls, yet.
But the visual design of both stages is gorgeous. Even if they aren't legal, I'M looking forward to play on them in private and online.

But as for competitive use: We have basically nothing.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Both look decently good but we need more info before we can judge.

If Spiral Mountain does not mess with hitboxes with its gimmick and it is just like Kalos (I have a gut hunch Gruntilda is a decoy like Dracula is and is gonna be a boss) I would love it. We need smaller stages in Ultimate, so if we get one that is not completely messy with it's blastzones I am down.

Sky Alter looks similar to FD, but knowing that unless it has some decent thing to it I see it getting banned. Shame it looks gorgeous. I personally would prefer it to FD since FD visually hurts my eyes a wee bit but whatever.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Both look decently good but we need more info before we can judge.

If Spiral Mountain does not mess with hitboxes with its gimmick and it is just like Kalos (I have a gut hunch Gruntilda is a decoy like Dracula is and is gonna be a boss) I would love it. We need smaller stages in Ultimate, so if we get one that is not completely messy with it's blastzones I am down.

Sky Alter looks similar to FD, but knowing that unless it has some decent thing to it I see it getting banned. Shame it looks gorgeous. I personally would prefer it to FD since FD visually hurts my eyes a wee bit but whatever.
Speaking of which, why do you guys ban all stages that look similar instead of just considering them reskins of the "original" legal stage like all Omega and Battlefield forms and have just the Smash 4 rule of "if Final Destination is vetoed on the stage pick, all Omega forms are vetoed as well"? I mean, come on, variety for the win.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Speaking of which, why do you guys ban all stages that look similar instead of just considering them reskins of the "original" legal stage like all Omega and Battlefield forms and have just the Smash 4 rule of "if Final Destination is vetoed on the stage pick, all Omega forms are vetoed as well"? I mean, come on, variety for the win.
Most rulesets allow a list of Omega/Battlefield forms as is. What issue are you referring to exactly?

Also, please note that many people in this thread share their own distinct opinions on what should and shouldn't be run for a stagelist and ruleset. It isn't as simple as asking "why do you guys do this" when it's more accurately "why do some people do this". Generally better to ask "Do you do this and why? Here's why I think we should/shouldn't." rather than assume everyone here does the same thing.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
you mean stuff like dreamland? well first off, most of those stages happen to have issues unique to them:
- dreamland has an imperceptibly-small slope on the ground, which makes jablocks not work when used toward the center of the stage
- midgar has copyright issues (also probably the DQ stage)
- fountain of dreams causes lag (to my knowledge it hasn't been fully patched), and also the ground isn't flat, similarly to dreamland
- pictochat's slanted edges are commonly seen as a negative rather than a positive, and are involved in documented cases of clipping (mainly one with squirtle's side b)
- umbra clock tower commonly causes motion sickness, and has uneven ground
- wily castle's blastzones are way too big

more broadly, though, having similar stages – even if a "grouping" rule is used for stage bans – presents issues. it adds complexity to the ruleset, since not only are there more stages, but also each stage ban no longer necessarily correlates to a single stage. it's a whole new "rule" that new players (and even veterans) would have to keep in mind, when our stage lists are already kind of big as far as striking goes

a group system also means there's ambiguity during striking. for example, say my character likes FD, but hates the DQ stage because of its greater stage width (maybe i play a heavyweight who can't easily cross wide areas of ground). if i want to ban DQ, i also have to ban FD under a "grouping" rule, which means i'm forced to ban a favorable stage in order to ban an unfavorable one. this messes with the balance of striking a lot, and the alternative – leaving the stages ungrouped, so you have to spend 2 (or more!) bans on very similar layouts – isn't much better

if the stages actually brought something to the table, maybe you could shrug these downsides off... but they kind of don't? like, from a competitive standpoint, the layouts are nearly the same, so strategies or gameplay wouldn't significantly change (aside from the aforementioned issues, or minor aspects of the stage such as walls). it's an awkward middle ground where you sacrifice consistency, but don't gain significant strategic depth in return. and from a visual / music standpoint, omega forms (and BF forms) make these stages obsolete

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
you mean stuff like dreamland? well first off, most of those stages happen to have issues unique to them:
- dreamland has an imperceptibly-small slope on the ground, which makes jablocks not work when used toward the center of the stage
- midgar has copyright issues (also probably the DQ stage)
- fountain of dreams causes lag (to my knowledge it hasn't been fully patched), and also the ground isn't flat, similarly to dreamland
- pictochat's slanted edges are commonly seen as a negative rather than a positive, and are involved in documented cases of clipping (mainly one with squirtle's side b)
- umbra clock tower commonly causes motion sickness, and has uneven ground
- wily castle's blastzones are way too big

more broadly, though, having similar stages – even if a "grouping" rule is used for stage bans – presents issues. it adds complexity to the ruleset, since not only are there more stages, but also each stage ban no longer necessarily correlates to a single stage. it's a whole new "rule" that new players (and even veterans) would have to keep in mind, when our stage lists are already kind of big as far as striking goes

a group system also means there's ambiguity during striking. for example, say my character likes FD, but hates the DQ stage because of its greater stage width (maybe i play a heavyweight who can't easily cross wide areas of ground). if i want to ban DQ, i also have to ban FD under a "grouping" rule, which means i'm forced to ban a favorable stage in order to ban an unfavorable one. this messes with the balance of striking a lot, and the alternative – leaving the stages ungrouped, so you have to spend 2 (or more!) bans on very similar layouts – isn't much better

if the stages actually brought something to the table, maybe you could shrug these downsides off... but they kind of don't? like, from a competitive standpoint, the layouts are nearly the same, so strategies or gameplay wouldn't significantly change (aside from the aforementioned issues, or minor aspects of the stage such as walls). it's an awkward middle ground where you sacrifice consistency, but don't gain significant strategic depth in return. and from a visual / music standpoint, omega forms (and BF forms) make these stages obsolete
Not to mention all of these problems are solved by simply using the standardized Battlefield/Omega forms of said stages. Of course some of them might have specific lighting issues, 2D properties, or other stage-specific problems, but that's why most people allow a specific list of the alternate forms.

If they're referring to alternatives for other stages, the only one I can think of is PS1 and PS2. There's several reasons you don't see tourneys let you decide this, because it actually has a pretty solid impact on the match.

I'm not going to list all of the differences between the two stages, but the main 3 that affect the match are:
  • Platform Height: A lot of characters can full-hop onto the platforms on PS1 but not PS2.
  • Background Screen: The screen is off for significantly more time on PS2. It's on much more on PS1. (This is distracting for lots of players.)
  • Stage Size: PS2 is larger by about 10 units total, while the blast zones remain the same. This means that horizontal killers will favor PS2, while characters with better recoveries will favor PS1.
These aspects genuinely make enough of an impact on a game that it can decide the last KO or who wins neutral.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I want to be hopeful for Spiral Mountain, but we'd have to see what they consider a hazard on that stage. What I'm assuming is the H+ stage seems to spin and change the terrain based on the spiral itself. AKA places you can go down to camp on like the rock form of PS1. It looks like at some points the stage would have a walkoff with the bridge to Grunty's lair, too

But I'm intrigued in this image:
1561044723815.png

It almost looks like Kalos with a much skinnier main platform. I didn't see these platforms in any part of the trailer. Could this possibly turn into the small stage we've been waiting for? Could we maybe have a replacement for a stage so we're not constantly playing on Pokemon stages?

I'm not getting my hopes up though, because Nintendo. They'd be mean enough to make the H- form the form with the bridge.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the hazards-on variant will be like a weird pseudo-traveling stage, with it starting static/flat and the rotation kicking in periodically, w/Gruntilda/NPCs being like Kamek on MKU (in that they have effects on the stage, possibly making the bridge/platforms appear).

If H- manages to not maintain the spinning effect (I figure it'd get disorienting for some even if it was purely cosmetic) while also not just being flat the whole time, it could work well enough. But that is being extremely optimistic (and assuming all these DLC stages won't have music/copyright issues).

Either way I doubt we'll find out more until we get another mini-Direct/video breaking down Hero/giving a window for release more specific than "Fall 2019."

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
There are simply too many unknowns about Spiral Mountain to make any definitive statements (wow talk about a lukewarm take) but there are just enough tantalizing hints to suggest that it's possible for it to end up legal. Maybe.

Ugh, the anticipation is killing me, especially since I never played a DQ game and thus am rather un-hyped for Hero beyond whatever his spell system is.

blackghost

Smash Champion
since we accepted the motion sickness as a reason to remove umbra clocktower, i don't see why spiral mountain would be allowed with its camera spinning. IMO that way worse than umbra.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
since we accepted the motion sickness as a reason to remove umbra clocktower, i don't see why spiral mountain would be allowed with its camera spinning. IMO that way worse than umbra.
From the earlier gameplay with Bottles, it does not look nearly that bad. That being sad, it is way too soon to make a judgement like that. Let us see the stage actually for more than 15 seconds to make a judgement.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
There are simply too many unknowns about Spiral Mountain to make any definitive statements (wow talk about a lukewarm take) but there are just enough tantalizing hints to suggest that it's possible for it to end up legal. Maybe.

Ugh, the anticipation is killing me, especially since I never played a DQ game and thus am rather un-hyped for Hero beyond whatever his spell system is.
At this point, speculating whether Spiral Mountain or the DQ stage are legal is pointless. Imagine speculating from those 20 second character trailers where a character was on the tier list. It's foolish because you don't have enough adequate information to say whether or not they should be legal.

Sure, you might be right on its legality, but that isn't because you analysed it, it's because you guessed correctly. We need to actually play the stage in order to see if it's legal, and sometimes we can tell right off the bat if we should allow it, or it might require testing.

Axioms

Smash Rookie
I'd like to present an argument for picking PS1 over PS2 as a starter stage in standard stage striking. I'm using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLX5CdLU8uk for reference, if there's something about these stages that the video doesn't cover please let me know, I've already done additional testing myself.
The differences between PS1 and PS2 are the following:

PS2's main-platform is wider than PS1's: This lets characters KO off the sides faster when standing on the edge of the stage

Wall-jumps do not work on the center-pillar of PS1, but do work on PS2: This gives characters with wall-jumps a slight advantage on PS2

The edge-slopes of PS1 continue further downwards than PS2's, giving PS1 a Y-shape and PS2 a T-shape: This can trap characters underneath the edges of PS2

The right-platform of PS1 has a slight downwards slope to the right: This can cause jab-locks not to work when hitting to the right due to being hit downhill, along with other potential effects(I am not aware of what these could be, I will list these if people present them)

The camera boundary of PS1 is lower than PS2's: This makes meteor-attacks KO earlier on PS2 than on PS1(if characters cross the camera boundary while in the launch-immobility of a meteor-attack they get KO'd, without having to cross the lower blastzone)

The blastzone of PS1 is lower than PS2: This lets characters go deeper off-stage on PS1

The platforms of PS2 are slightly wider than PS1's: I don't think this actually has any notable effect with how small of a difference it is

The platforms of PS2 are higher than PS1's: This makes it impossible to full-hop on the platforms on PS2 for these characters:
Kirby
Ganondorf
Ryu
Ken
Little Mac

It also makes it impossible to hit characters standing on the platforms on PS2 with the following moves:
Mario's Up-tilt
Dr. Mario's Up-tilt
Luigi's Up-tilt
Sheik's Up-tilt
Greninja's Up-tilt
Zelda's Up-tilt
Inkling's Up-tilt
Piranha Plant's Up-tilt
Palutena's Up-tilt's last hit
Mii Swordfighter's Up-tilt, Up-smash also combos more reliably into the 2nd hit on PS1
Lucario's Up-tilt(very inconsistent on PS1)
Roy's Up-tilt's sweetspot(very inconsistent on PS1)
Roy/Chrom's Forward-tilt(semi-consistent)
Lucas's first hit of Up-smash(not entirely sure though)
Megaman's multihits of Up-smash(semi-consistent)
Peach/Daisy's down&forward-angled Forward-smash(semi-consistent)
Falco's 1st-hit of Up-smash (semi-consistent)
Young Link's last hit of Up-smash(inconsistent, unless foe is lying down)
Toon Link's Up-smash(inconsistent, unless foe is lying down)

Pikachu's Up-smash(tip only)
Incineroar's Up-smash(tip only)
Meta Knight's last hit of Up-smash, the 1st and 2nd hits inconsistently as well
Diddy Kong's 2nd-hit of Up-smash
Ness' Up-smash
Ryu's Up-smash
Ken's Up-smash
Marth/Lucina's Forward-smash(semi-consistent), they also get an improvement to their Forward-tilt
Cloud's Side-special (first hit)

The following moves get improved on PS1:
Olimar's Up-tilt and Up-smash (they hit very inconsistently on PS2, aside from Up-smash Y-pikmin)
Mii Brawler's Up-tilt and Up-smash (they're much easier to hit with)
Pit/Dark Pit's Up-tilt's 1st hit (it combos more reliably into the 2nd hit on PS1, though it's still slightly inconsistent)
Joker's Up-tilt's multihits hit more consistently
Yoshi's Up-tilt (it's much easier to hit with)
Mewtwo's multihits of Up-smash hit more consistently
Sonic's multihits of Up-smash hit more consistently
Little Mac's Up-smash (it's much easier to hit with)
Fox's Up-smash (it's much easier to hit with)
Mii Gunner's Up-smash (it's slightly easier to hit with)

Duck Hunt's Up-smash (it's slightly easier to hit with)

It also makes these characters land on PS1's platforms after using these moves:
Kirby's Forward-throw
Mega Man's Up-tilt

Players will spawn on the main-platform of PS1, and on the floating-platforms on PS2: This might be advantageous for characters with higher air-speed/fast-fall-speed/ground-speed at the beginning of the match, but not that much probably?

The edges on PS1 obstruct the view more than PS2's

PS1's background screen is off at the start and changes every 10/15 seconds, then zooms in on one player for 10/15 seconds, then duplicates the main camera for 10/15 seconds, and then repeats this alternating between which character it zooms in on

PS2's background screen can start zoomed in on one player for 15/20 seconds, then zooms in on the other player for 15/20 seconds, and then turn off for 20/60 seconds

PS2's background screen zooms in further on players than PS1's

The differences in italic are visual differences and do not affect practical gameplay, so I don't think that these should be taken into consideration for as long as there are practical differences between the stages.

So to summarize:
Characters can KO off the sides sooner when standing on the edge of PS2
Characters can wall-jump on PS2's center-pillar
Characters can get trapped underneath the edges of PS2
Characters cannot be Jab-locked by attacks that send them to the right, on the right-platform of PS1
Meteor-attacks KO earlier on PS2
Characters can go deeper off-stage on PS1
Certain actions can or cannot be done due to the difference in platform height
Characters spawn in different positions at the start of a match

I'll now begin my argument for PS1>PS2.
Currently, PS1/PS2 is on pretty much every stagelist as a starter-pick.
Starter-pick stages are considered to be the most neutral stages in the game, i.e. the stages that give the least advantage to any character, regardless of which character is fighting who.
This means that the primary factor that determines whether PS1 or PS2 should be used is neutrality, i.e. which one is more neutral, i.e. which one is better suited to be a starter-stage.
The differences between the stages can either affect all characters equally or some individually.
Differences that affect characters equally do not actually matter in this case because they affect everyone, giving no character an advantage and are therefore neutral.
For example, the fact that characters cannot be jab-locked by attacks that send them to the right, on the right-platform of PS1, does not actually give an advantage to any individual character, because none of the characters can do it. It could be argued that characters who are highly dependent on getting jab-locks are put at a disadvantage, however I don't think that this is the case for any character that I know of (if this is the case for any character then let me know) as teching would do the same thing.
Characters spawning on the main-platform or on the floating-platforms also doesn't seem to have much effect as characters can get down before the opponent can get to them. Though characters that have charging moves(e.g. Samus' neutral-special) might be at a slight disadvantage due to not being able charge right away without giving advantageous positioning to the opponent.
The fact that some characters can wall-jump off the center-pillar on PS2 also doesn't seem to have much effect, as there really isn't any reason to go that far underneath the stage, and if a character gets there because they got launched they would be able to tech-jump which every character can do. Even with the wall-jump only characters like Pikachu could realistically make use of it and still make it back to the stage, and even then it would be largely inpractical in comparison to other options.
The fact that it's possible to get trapped underneath PS2 is disadvantageous for characters with linear recoveries, though I think most of the discussion on this has already been done in past discussions on Lylat cruise so I'm not going into much depth about this.
The fact that it's possible to go deeper off-stage on PS1 than on PS2 also doesn't make much difference; I think it's reasonable to say that characters who can go that deep and still recover would be able to make it back anyway, and aside from air-dodges I can't really think of any moves that would force characters that far down, so while it does give characters with really good recoveries a slight advantage I don't think it makes much difference.
Meteor-attacks KOing earlier(about 3%) on PS2 does give an advantage to characters with meteor-attacks, but characters would be pretty low at this point and I don't think most would be able to recover anyway.
Characters being able to KO earlier off the sides due to the edges of PS2 being closer to the blast-zone gives an advantage to characters that KO off the sides more, but it also makes it easier to recover due to the edges being further out, making it so that getting launched from the other end of the stage is easier to recover from.
The fact that some characters cannot reach the platforms on PS2 with a full-hop puts them at a fairly big disadvantage towards characters who can, and the fact that most of the match-time will be spend on-stage makes this a pretty significant difference.
The fact that quite a few attacks will not hit opponents on PS2's platforms puts these characters at a fairly big disadvantage.
There are 2 characters that can land on PS1's platforms but not on PS2's after using an attack, Megaman with up-tilt and Kirby with forward-throw.
For Megaman PS1 seems better as landing on the platform reduces Up-tilt's end-lag from 70-frames to 54-frames, but it's less safe to use on opponents who are standing on the platforms, so Megaman players will have to say which is better.
For Kirby PS2 seems better as PS1's platforms make it impossible to combo with Forward-throw, even though Kirby cannot full-hop onto PS2's platforms.
Going off all of this I think it's safe to assume that the following differences are mostly irrelevant when deciding which one to go to, as these do not give any significant advantage to any individual character:
-Characters spawn in different positions at the start of a match
-Characters can wall-jump on PS2's center-pillar
-Characters cannot be Jab-locked by attacks that send them to the right, on the right-platform of PS1
-Characters can get trapped underneath the edges of PS2

I would argue that this difference:
-Characters can KO off the sides sooner when standing on the edge of PS2
also belongs here because every character has attacks that would be affected by this, though some(e.g. Ness and Incineroar's Back-throw) might benefit more than others.

This leaves 3 differences that can affect characters individually:
+Characters can go deeper off-stage on PS1
+Meteor-attacks KO earlier on PS2
+Certain actions can or cannot be done due to the difference in platform height

Out of these I would argue that the first one is fairly insignificant for the following reasons:
The extra depth of PS1 is not enough to be beneficial for any characters with long-during moves(e.g. Ridley's Dair) as they cannot make it back to the stage, so while for example Ridley technically can use Dair off-stage from a shorthop on PS1 and survive, he would not be able to recover.
In the case of edge-guarding it doesn't make much difference either as most characters just can't go low enough to take advantage of the extra depth and still get back to the stage. The only time when this could make a difference is in matches where both characters have really good recoveries, but then they would both be able to take advantage of this.

After doing some testing it seems that Meteor-attacks KO about 3% earlier on PS2; in the video Bayonetta's Down-smash KO'd K.rool at 44.3% on PS2 while he lived on PS1 at 46.1%. From my own testing I've found that Ganondorf's Dair KO's Pichu hanging on the ledge from 8.2% but not at 8.1% on PS1, while on PS2 Pichu got KO'd at 5.3% but not at 5.1%, so almost exactly 3%. I also tested with Mario to see if he could make it back after getting Dair'd; he got KO'd at 13.8% but not at 11.3% on PS2, however he could not make it back on stage and would have needed an extra Jump to do so, which means that PS1's lower camera-boundary would not help him live any longer.
Something to keep in mind is that, out of the 78 currently playable characters, only 11 do not have Meteor-attacks, of which 6 would benefit from going to PS1 otherwise.

I did a lot of testing with every character to see which ones were affected by the platform height difference so here are some numbers:
There are 6 characters who are unaffected, who have no grounded options on either stage to hit opponents on platforms.
There are 30 characters who are unaffected, of which 4 do not have a Tilt-attack but do have a Smash-attack to hit opponents on platforms, the other 26 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms.
There are 5 characters who are affected, however these effects are insignificant to the point of being useless due to being inconsistent in practical application, or because they give no useful benefit.
There are 37 characters who are affected of which:
6 have no grounded options on PS2 to hit opponents on platforms, but gain a Smash-attack on PS1
3 have no grounded options on PS2 to hit opponents on platforms, but gain a Tilt-attack on PS1
3 have no Tilt-attack on PS2 to hit opponents on platforms but do have a Smash-attack to hit opponents on platforms, who get a significant improvement to their Smash-attacks on PS1
7 have no Tilt-attack on PS2 to hit opponents on platforms but do have a Smash-attack to hit opponents on platforms, who gain a Tilt-attack on PS1, and 1 gets an improvement to their Smash-attack
2 have a Tilt-attack on PS2 to hit opponents on platforms but do not have a Smash-attack to hit opponents on platforms, who gain a Smash-attack on PS1
4 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who get a significant improvement to their Smash-attacks on PS1
4 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who get a significant improvement to their Tilt-attacks PS1
2 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who get a significant improvement to both their Tilt-attacks and Smash-attacks on PS1
2 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who gain a Tilt-attack on PS1
2 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who gain a Smash-attack on PS1
2 have both Tilt and Smash-attacks to hit opponents on platforms, who gain a Smash-attack on PS1, and get a significant improvement to their Tilt-attack

The ability to platform-pressure from a grounded position, along with the ability to Jump onto platforms from a fullhop is very valuable and can affect the Neutral-game significantly; without these the opponent can run away and camp much more easily.
Keeping all of these differences in mind, I can think of the following reasons as to why you should pick either stage:
For PS2:
You are playing with a character that is unaffected by the platform height, against a character that is affected
You are playing with a character that has a Meteor-attack, against a character that has a really good recovery

For PS1:
You are playing with a character that has a really good recovery, against a character that has a Meteor-attack
You are playing with a character that is affected by the platform height

The only character that is at a disadvantage on both stages is Kirby who:
-Cannot fullhop onto PS2's platforms
-Cannot combo off Forward-throw underneath PS1's platforms
Though out of these 2 options, Kirby would likely prefer PS2 as this is the lesser of 2 evils.

Choosing PS2 instead of PS1 causes half the roster to lose an option; disregarding the viability of said option, it is important that all characters have the same amount of options, or are at least as close as possible to this ideal; from that point onward it is up to individual player-skill to determine when, where,
and how these options can be used to achieve victory over the opponent.
As PS1 gives the overall roster more options to use, bringing them closer to the ideal equal-state, PS1 is therefore more neutral.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hero and his stage, Yggdrasil's Altar, are due to release today per the video from Sakurai. The stage itself appears to be a sedate version of Umbra Clock Tower -- a single flying platform with platforms that come and go. The video only showed three layouts, two of which looked good and one of which looked not-so-good, but it's unclear if that's all of them or if there are more yet to be seen.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
unless H-'s only change is cutting the offstage platforms, yggdrasil is banned ._.
Given the similarities to Umbra, I'm expecting H- to simply be the base platform with nothing else going on. (In which case it's banned due to redundancy with FD.) We'll know soon-ish, though.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Given the similarities to Umbra, I'm expecting H- to simply be the base platform with nothing else going on. (In which case it's banned due to redundancy with FD.) We'll know soon-ish, though.
Unless the treasure chests don't appear each time the side platforms show up I think the first showing of the stage was with hazards off.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
One would think H- might be a static layout with no moving platforms. Best case scenario (if it's not literally Umbra), it's essentially T&C layout (swapping from Kalos with no walls/that weird tri-plat dropping down) that shifts into an awkward emphasis left side (possibly random?) dual platform layout.

Either way no one will be convinced until we see things like blast zones. Thankfully we'll know soon enough after the eShop crashes instantly

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
My observations of H- Yggdrasil's Altar:

* It's not an FD clone, to my surprise. The platforms still come and go.
* The solid offstage platforms, however, are completely absent. I haven't seen them appear even once with H-.
* Standing on a platform moving sideways off the stage will kill you, but standing on one that's moving up is safe -- you'll drop before reaching the blast zone.

This might actually be legal.

EDIT: A video (not mine) showing the layouts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yADHZQ1h9M

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
My thoughts on the new stage: it reminds me of Halberd, where the starting formation is not good but it transforms in the first few seconds and from there on has no major flaws. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the stage in tournaments, but I don't think it's likely, just because of that starting formation.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
YGGDRASIL IS GOOD AAAAAAA

this was like the one possibility i ruled out (hazardless removing only the low platforms) but they actually did it, i had no idea they were this aware lolol

the starting formation isn't an issue; it lasts for 10 seconds and isn't intrusive or likely to kill you (and was never the primary motivation for banning halberd)

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
The stage has some real counterpick potential but there's a few things that may snuff it, from least problematic to most:

- Platform formation can be asymmetrical, and at least one formation has a step-type layout that is very Duck Hunt-esque. Unlike Duck Hunt though, these are of course temporary, so camping isn't going to be that viable.
- The platforms can be sloped. Again, temporary, but will be a cause of concern for some.
- I can't really rigorously test this right now and I'm sure the stage comparison tool will update eventually, but based on similar testing to how I tried estimating Mementos' size a while back, this stage seems... quite big. Both its horizontal and vertical blast lines are pretty generous, and I'm pretty sure if the stage were legal, we'd be looking at the largest stage in the game. I think this may well be its biggest hurdle.

Things I do like about it:

- Despite being an animated stage, it's fairly easy going on the eyes, unlike Umbra Clocktower. No reason people that can handle FD won't be able to handle this.
- There's a unique BF formation with an extended middle platform up top. It's a nice twist and seems to allow for more actual exchanges up top rather than being a combo spot.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
The stage has some real counterpick potential but there's a few things that may snuff it, from least problematic to most:

- Platform formation can be asymmetrical, and at least one formation has a step-type layout that is very Duck Hunt-esque. Unlike Duck Hunt though, these are of course temporary, so camping isn't going to be that viable.
- The platforms can be sloped. Again, temporary, but will be a cause of concern for some.
- I can't really rigorously test this right now and I'm sure the stage comparison tool will update eventually, but based on similar testing to how I tried estimating Mementos' size a while back, this stage seems... quite big. Both its horizontal and vertical blast lines are pretty generous, and I'm pretty sure if the stage were legal, we'd be looking at the largest stage in the game. I think this may well be its biggest hurdle.

Things I do like about it:

- Despite being an animated stage, it's fairly easy going on the eyes, unlike Umbra Clocktower. No reason people that can handle FD won't be able to handle this.
- There's a unique BF formation with an extended middle platform up top. It's a nice twist and seems to allow for more actual exchanges up top rather than being a combo spot.
Slight nitpick, but the stage is only slightly larger than Battlefield and FD. It's about the same size as Town & City I think.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Haven't played too much on Yggdrasil, but so far it seems like it could be viable. Similar enough to other stages in terms of layouts but the cycling of platforms keeps it unique.

The omly things I think would stop it from being viable would be the starting form before it takes off (which I dont even see realistically causing any problems except maybe in doubles) and the angled platform which I know some people have issues with, but it's not there most of the time so idk. I guess we'll just have to play more and find out.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Slight nitpick, but the stage is only slightly larger than Battlefield and FD. It's about the same size as Town & City I think.
Battlefield is bigger than T&C actually, and it's a detail I keep forgetting about. If I'd have to hazard a guess, Yggdrasil's Altar has a similar blast zone layout but I'm hesitant to compare without knowing the stage width.

Top Bottom