• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBM 2013 Top Rankings

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
This list is pretty whack from 100-20

Loads of region bias, etc

I mean DruggedFox isn't even in the top 100?
LMAO
He just beat Colbol at Tipped Off, getting 3rd behind PP and Hbox

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Idk I guess I'm shocked that literally 0 GA players made the list.

Like...yeah GA doesn't travel well but there's no way you can't put ANY of them in the top 100 (eg. XIF, Mike G, etc.)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hanky and abu are definitely underrated champs of ohio.
I don't think either of them are honestly on the level of VaNz (despite abu's upset against him) but they are both incredible players and definitely deserve to be on the list.
either way, it's irrelevant.

One person I'm surprised didn't make it is Jace, he's an incredible player and definitely one of the midwest allstars

SOLAR

Smash Ace
It was the twenty thirteen list, so if Armada and Wobbles don't play in twenty fourteen, then that will effect their placement on the next list, assuming one is made.

Armada

Smash Lord
We should not be on that list.
I should not even have been on this one either (Wobbles should because he did enter way more tournaments).

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I think we should continue to include Armada on these lists, but every year drop his placements til he decides to come back due to the disgust of being at rank 42 or something.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
you gotta start somewhere. ofc nubs who have never created anything -- lest even a half-decent resume of tournament caliber play -- are going to knock another's creation. throwing stones etc.

this is a great starting point and the communal feedback means this could provide a good jumping off point of further organization.

good job, good effort

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
I really like the top 15 or so. But the rest of the list has a lot of mistakes.

Metà

Smash Master
yoooo, p droppin those compliments

but seriously this was great 10/10 would read again. of course you can't have a completely accurate top 10, much of the decision process was subjective, but we already knew that.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
This list is pretty whack from 100-20

Loads of region bias, etc

I mean DruggedFox isn't even in the top 100?
LMAO
He just beat Colbol at Tipped Off, getting 3rd behind PP and Hbox
you mean the dude who lost to baka4moe?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Metà

Smash Master
Top 10 is probably the only section close to accurate.
even the top 10 has glaring inaccuracies though. i don't believe hax's position is warranted when some of the players below him (such as wobbles, shroomed, etc.) deserve the number 6 spot so much more. think about it, of all the players in the top 10, hax is pretty much the only one who has not yet defeated the top 5 recently. wobbles beat 3 of them. at one tournament.

i think hax is glorified because of his popularity, which is a result of his character choice and playstyle. just my two cents, if i'm wrong, please correct me

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I do believe it's Falcon bias. The order might be wrong, but it would be hard to argue that those 10 players don't belong there.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
wobbles has like next to no sample size

i have no prob putting hax 6th. lol @ accusing daniel lee of bias re: hax's popularity when i have no doubt that for him s2j is much more of a favorite than hax, and that in general your whole bias theory would suggest a WC bias FOR shroomed and wobbles, not for hax

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Nobody accused Tafo of being biased. I said I believed there was falcon bias from the entire community, which is the reason Hax was placed at 6th despite having no wins over the big 5.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Which is implicitly saying he's biased (and me, for that matter, since I also helped work on it)
It's based off of the votes from the community. The community is obviously biased towards people in their respective regions or players they enjoy watching. I personally think Hax deserves his placing because of his consistency, but the notion that some Falcon fanboys rated him higher than other people out of bias is virtually guaranteed...

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
isn't it based off trusted members from the community? i'm almost certain it wasn't an open poll, or i wouldn't of even bothered participating. like hugs, me, daniel. who else, daniel?

u also failed to hyperlink the rest of your OP @ TaFoKiNtS TaFoKiNtS

FluiD

Smash Apprentice
This is really awesome, Love that there was a good amount of players coming outta the Midwest region in this. Where did Mang0 move to in the midwest!?

Varist

Smash Lord
I thought this list was legit just because I overestimated how many people are actually good at this game.

I saw Ken in #100 (which obviously makes no sense and is just a novelty number) but I thought "okay, so going down this list I can expect the people I checke out to have better game sense or at least better character control than Ken"

So the very next person is someone named PKMVodka, who for some ****ing reason keeps changing his gamer tag making it hard for me to find his sets. But I look up multiple videos of this guy and I'm not saying he's absolute **** but I can name 2 people in my own city who have a better Marth than he does. He just looks awkward as **** on his characters, misses l cancels on stuff like dair and bair, misspaces shield pressure, can't sweetspot the ledge, misspaces grabs out of dash dance, accidentally full hops when you can tell he was trying to SH, gives up free punishes off of techs, does awkward combos like f tilt into whiffed jab, misses basic uthrow -> uptilt regrab, several failed dash dances where he just stands there and turns, trying to approach mindlessly with a nair into their running shield thrice in the same 30 seconds, and so on

Sure, it could be nervousness, but I watched plenty of his games and he just seems to not have an advanced idea of how to use his character and doesn't do things that make logical sense if he's trying to maximize his punishment game. He at least is not near the same level as Ken's marth. Why would you land in front of someone and start jabbing their shield? Why would you stand inside someone's floored character and then not at least hold shield for the getup attack?

Then he switched to Falco in a grand finals set and just got embarrassed. It's not even like he looked bad because his opponents were better, when the game was reset to neutral over and over again he would just do stupid things and misspace things and reap mediocre punishes that even to the noob falcos I know could have led into something big.

So the problem with this list is it seems like everything between top 15 and #99 is just a confused soup of people who are better and worse than other people and some people who are worse than people you might find in your local scene just because they have some videos on youtube or one of the voters knows them.

You probably will never get an even close-to-accurate top #100 with the tiny amount of inter-scene crossover we get right now.

And this isn't just #99, Frootloop, Sung, Bam, Redd. All of these names I didn't recognize so I checked out some of their sets and I see holes in their gameplay that even I was able to patch up already.

It's just bewildering that this amalgamation of "notable" players were even numbered to begin with. Trying to number them with such a limited amount of evidence for "does #XX really belong above #YY?" is not a valid approach. We don't have that evidence because most of these people are in their own isolated scenes for a majority of their career.

I don't expect the list to be absolutely accurate, but I did expect it not to be so presumptuous with its ordering. At least split the players into tiers of goodness. It's hard to categorize players on a quantifiable basis as strict as a numbered ranking for each player.

It's only moderately easier to do for the top 15 because they play each other so frequently.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wow.. Pkm beats me everytime and he also beat Vwins/Weon-X recently. You should seriously stfu when you have no idea what you are talking about. All the top 100 would body you so... ya.

Varist

Smash Lord
That's the thing, he probably just bodies you guys because you play him a lot.

He beats you because you play Ganon. Weon-X and Vwins don't even make me bat an eye. I've seen them play too and they're not the kind of players I would fear, they're just your average joe who happens to go to tournaments and perform decently against people they play a lot.

This is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. To me, he seriously doesn't look any better than the people I play on a daily basis. And his falco is garbage compared to mine.

How do you know all of the top 100 would body me?

That's the kind of statement that would fall under the category of "having no idea what you're talking about", especially if you've never even seen me play.

You underestimate the levels of other regions Kage. You think just because Pkm can beat Weon-X and Vwins he's suddenly great? There's a player in my city who can go toe to toe with Shroomed, and Shroomed is ranked way higher on this list than Weon-X and Vwins.

That's what I mean when I say that this list is so inaccurate. There's a guy on there whose spot you justify with "he beat weon-x and vwins and beats my ganondorf"

While the guy who is supposedly at the same level as Shroomed isn't even on it because he doesn't travel. There are people on this list who are only on it because of perceived repute instead of actual skill.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's the thing, he probably just bodies you guys because you play him a lot.

He beats you because you play Ganon. Weon-X and Vwins don't even make me bat an eye. I've seen them play too and they're not the kind of players I would fear, they're just your average joe who happens to go to tournaments and perform decently against people they play a lot.

This is exactly the mindset I'm talking about. To me, he seriously doesn't look any better than the people I play on a daily basis. And his falco is garbage compared to mine.

How do you know all of the top 100 would body me?

That's the kind of statement that would fall under the category of "having no idea what you're talking about", especially if you've never even seen me play.

You underestimate the levels of other regions Kage. You think just because Pkm can beat Weon-X and Vwins he's suddenly great? There's a player in my city who can go toe to toe with Shroomed, and Shroomed is ranked way higher on this list than Weon-X and Vwins.

That's what I mean when I say that this list is so inaccurate. There's a guy on there whose spot you justify with "he beat weon-x and vwins and beats my ganondorf"

While the guy who is supposedly at the same level as Shroomed isn't even on it because he doesn't travel. There are people on this list who are only on it because of perceived repute instead of actual skill.
How do I know? Easy! You never ranked beyond top 100 at international tournaments.. and if you did we'd probably know a little about it because you would need to defeat at least average or average+ players. Vwins also got 9th last Apex.. I give you facts however you seem to give baseless statements. Get your **** together because this is pretty bad lol.

Im going to guess you are talking about Lord right? I have seen him play, he's really good! While the list might be inaccurate, it's actually simply the order of the players that is wrong.. I can't see anybody that's a noob or up and coming that can even touch these guys which is what you are.

Varist

Smash Lord
How do I know? Easy! You never ranked beyond top 100 at international tournaments.. and if you did we'd probably know a little about it because you would need to defeat at least average or average+ players. Vwins also got 9th last Apex.. I give you facts however you seem to give baseless statements. Get your **** together because this is pretty bad lol.

Im going to guess you are talking about Lord right? I have seen him play, he's really good! While the list might be inaccurate, it's actually simply the order of the players that is wrong.. I can't see anybody that's a noob or up and coming that can even touch these guys which is what you are.
Not talking about lord, you live in canada and watch youtube videos and go to canadian tournaments + internationals, you are not an omnipresent force in the community, and that is why you can't see anybody that is up and coming, because you are not everywhere at once Kage.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
There are definitely a lot of people that are not on this list that are better than some people that are on this list, but that's because the list is only based on performance at major nationals and well-documented events (I'm not sure why PKMVodka is #99 when he has no national placings, but most of the rest of the list seems consistent with this). Consider people like Azusa (top norcal peach, ranked 7th on our local PR) or DruggedFox, people who are good but just don't have enough consistent placings to justify putting them on the list. For what it is, though, I think the list's really accurate.

Varist if you're talking about Shroomed I assume you're norcal? Who are you / which city are you located in?

Top Bottom