• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Adult Link from Brawl isn't the same Adult Link from Melee either. In the end, it is quite clear that Toon Link replaced Young Link.
That's a different case. Link from Melee and Link from Brawl are designed after different Links, but are clearly the same Link in the Smash Bros. universe. Young Link and Toon Link are completely different characters. Otherwise, they would both be referred to as Young Link.

Eh in a sense, Toon Link is as much of a redesign from Young Link as the Twilight Princess designs of Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf are from their Ocarina of Time counterparts. The only reason Toon Link got a name change I assume is because it would no longer make sense to refer to him as the younger aged version of the default Link as he's a completely different character.

Though even with that said. Toon Link is still considered a Brawl newcomer and a replacement of Young Link despite that the Twilight Princess counterparts of the others aren't.

I think you can just refer to them as the child Link I suppose....
I respectfully disagree with Toon Link being a redesign of Young Link. I believe that it's more that Sakurai wanted a "child Link", but decided to create Toon Link rather than bringing back Young Link since Wind Waker had come out and was the counterpart to Twilight Princess. Hopefully, we'll get to see Young Link return in Smash 4 as each Link has their own unique properties.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, Toon Link was the more toon counterpart than the more detailed looking Twilight Princess Link, hence the nickname "Toon Link". Likewise Young Link was the younger counterpart of the adult Link, hence the nickname "Young Link".

I highly doubt we will be seeing Young Link as a playable character in this installment though.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Damn, the improvements are very noticeable, even for kirby :p.
I'd like to see more comparisons for other characters please.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I want to see Captain Falcon already.
Yeah, Captian Falcon's gonna look great. He and the other character that actually look human. Marth looks great, I wanna see Captain Falcon, Zamus and Ike. Little Mac may be a bit too realistic if you ask me.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Update on the Assist Trophies: Waluigi returns, but how does he look?

Waluigi looks a lot better too me. Out of all we've seen Waluigi seems to have been the most washed-out in Brawl in comparison. These brighter colors do him well. His "glued" fingers stay that way, but otherwise he looks better.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Update on the Assist Trophies: Waluigi returns, but how does he look?

Waluigi looks a lot better too me. Out of all we've seen Waluigi seems to have been the most washed-out in Brawl in comparison. These brighter colors do him well. His "glued" fingers stay that way, but otherwise he looks better.
It's still not too late in devolopment to seperate those fingers, though I need would have noticed unless someone pointed them out anyways.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think the two best improvements are Sonic and Dedede, Sonic just looks SO MUCH BETTER without his weird, mouth-in-the-middle Sonic 06' design, this one seems much closer to the Unleashed design. Also, lol @ Little Mac comparison, he looked so awkward before Punch-Out Wii.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I love how expressive the facial features are in the new Smash to go along with the bright colors.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It's still not too late in devolopment to seperate those fingers, though I need would have noticed unless someone pointed them out anyways.
Although modeling out his fingers can be done, instead of just of just applying a 2D texture of a hand to his 'nub', it is completely unnecessary.
Especially, since he is an assist trophy and they tend to look a lot lower in resolution than playable characters

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Although modeling out his fingers can be done, instead of just of just applying a 2D texture of a hand to his 'nub', it is completely unnecessary.
Especially, since he is an assist trophy and they tend to look a lot lower in resolution than playable characters
It is 2014, that **** is unacceptable.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It is 2014, that **** is unacceptable.
As much as I don't care for graphics as long as everything looks smooth, this is true, specially since the masses consider graphics as one of the most important aspects of any modern game. Smash 4 will need everything it can to move units, it can't afford to lag behind in any department; visuals are no exception.

That clipping, on the other hand........yeah, they seriously should do something about that.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
As much as I don't care for graphics as long as everything looks smooth, this is true, specially since the masses consider graphics as one of the most important aspects of any modern game. Smash 4 will need everything it can to move units, it can't afford to lag behind in any department; visuals are no exception.

That clipping, on the other hand........yeah, they seriously should do something about that.
I'm not asking for crisis levels here. Make hands actual hands and not drawn lines on a nub.

Didn't Arc Systems do something specifically with the engine to prevent clipping for Guilty Gear Xrd?

I can understand clipping through the opponent, but having Zelda's entire leg clipping out of her dress when she does a forward tilt is complete bs.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Didn't Arc Systems do something specifically with the engine to prevent clipping for Guilty Gear Xrd?

I can understand clipping through the opponent, but having Zelda's entire leg clipping out of her dress when she does a forward tilt is complete bs.

Couldn't agree more. Self clipping is unacceptable.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Or Dedede's coat clipping through just about every part of his body.

I'm not asking for crisis levels here. Make hands actual hands and not drawn lines on a nub.
I know. I was mostly referring to Waluigi's hands. Also, it's sad that Mother Brain's model is just a sphere with brain texture slapped onto it. They could have at least put some effort with actual, distinct circumvolutions.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yeah, Captian Falcon's gonna look great. He and the other character that actually look human. Marth looks great, I wanna see Captain Falcon, Zamus and Ike. Little Mac may be a bit too realistic if you ask me.
MEWTWO / C.Falcon/Ganon/PKMN Trainer/Wario are my most hyped vets too see in HD.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
The Pokeballs now have shiny reflections. This is going to look amazing if it really is native 1080p.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I love they made it look cartoony but still kept in little details like the stitching on the character's clothes. I am sure that this game is going to look so beautiful! I feel like I may even get distracted by the graphics when I'm playing.

R0Y

Smash Master
R
@ theboredone — pretty sure the Wii was a step-up from the Xbox, because the Wii U is definitely better than the 360. It's on par, if not slightly better than the PS3 even.
I'm really late but in the simplest of terms, PS3 has the worst GPU of all 3 and the 360 was in many ways more powerful than the PS3 despite lacking the Cell (which was extremely hard to take advantage of anyway) and being released a year earlier. It's complicated and confusing,

CPU: PS3 >, possibly 360 > Wii U

GPU: Wii U > 360 > PS3

RAM, in both type and total: Wii U > PS3/360

RAM clock: 360 (plus 256-bit bus) > PS3 (+ 128-bit bus) > Wii U (64-bit bus)

Wii U is a bit more powerful than both but it has some flaws, it's not an order of magnitude, and for a variety of reasons, particuarly CPU clock (which isn't everything) and memory bandwidth, 3rd parties have struggled with keeping ports to the PS3/360 standard.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Wario in HD... "Shudders"
Thankfully Wario will be kept less realistic than Little Mac. We don't need to see Wario that realistic. Keeping him cartoony like Mario and Luigi will be fine.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Poor Ness, his shorts clip through his shirt, while his shirt clips through his face. Don't even mention Yoshi, his tail gets completely lost in his body sometimes.

clipping.png

I don't expect anything less from the new Smash; clipping is practically a tradition.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Poor Ness, his shorts clip through his shirt, while his shirt clips through his face. Don't even mention Yoshi, his tail gets completely lost in his body sometimes.

View attachment 10004

I don't expect anything less from the new Smash; clipping is practically a tradition.
Do people actually care about clipping? I know I hardly notice is when I play.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Do people actually care about clipping? I know I hardly notice is when I play.
Some people above were complaining about it, but I don't mind it. It can actually create some pretty funny screenshots.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind clipping, but they should at least try to avoid it. Bowser is probably the best example of how bad they let it get.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Clipping's okay with me, as long as it isn't so blatantly bad that it has someone like Link's sword going through himself.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Thankfully Wario will be kept less realistic than Little Mac. We don't need to see Wario that realistic. Keeping him cartoony like Mario and Luigi will be fine.
Little Mac is heavily stylized to match his punch out wii incarnation, I don't see why other people are saying he is "too realistic" either. In terms of humanoid video game character he skews towards cartoony realism (like the exaggerated art style of team fortress for example- cartoony in terms of realism, but not super unrealistic.) Wario will look on key and probably be very close to how Waluigi and the Mario Brothers appear.

View attachment 10004

People were complaining about zelda's leg clipping through her dress, but it obviously is still in development. Like when peach holds a part of her dress the dress doesn't go up yet. This is all polishing stuff, not their first priority and some people don't get that (Some people complain for the sake of complaining.) Some slight clipping is unavoidable in some cases, but for the most part they have been pretty good with the final polish on the games. It is nice to see some realistic people pointing out that some clipping does happen.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Sonic looks great in the new game. I love the way they're doing his mouth, it makes him look like his old (best) self.
Yeah. The Sonic '06 design they went with in Brawl just wasn't fitting for him. Plus his mouth should be on the side of his face, as it always has been.

Top Bottom