• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
What you guys are asking for makes me laugh. Make Mario look different but the same. What could you possibly add to Mario to makehim look different besides what they've done? In game graphics are what we should focus on. Not renders.

Mario looks more comical in this game too me.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
What you guys are asking for makes me laugh. Make Mario look different but the same. What could you possibly add to Mario to makehim look different besides what they've done? In game graphics are what we should focus on. Not renders.

Mario looks more comical in this game too me.
Idk what did they do to Dedede? or Bowser? They changed them a little bit but they still look the same lol. I don't know how you can't imagine a simple way of changing him to make him look different while still retaining the same essence. Video games do this all the time. Mario looks exactly the same as in Brawl.... just re-skined with brighter colors. So I wouldn't say that he looks comical. He just has different colors.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Idk what did they do to Dedede? or Bowser? They changed them a little bit but they still look the same lol. I don't know how you can't imagine a simple way of changing him to make him look different while still retaining the same essence. Video games do this all the time. Mario looks exactly the same as in Brawl.... just re-skined with brighter colors. So I wouldn't say that he looks comical. He just has different colors.

Dude. No. dDD and bowser have several features and aspects they can change and alter. Mario overalls, gloves, a hat, and boots. That's it. They've already done what they can do.

You need to clearly say what you want changed, if you can think anything can actually be changed.

Like, Zelda for example. She has so many features they touched up. Its amazing. Bowser looks great, too. But Mario isn't gonna alter in appearance too much. Brawl achevied a pretty solid look for him.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Dude. No. dDD and bowser have several features and aspects they can change and alter. Mario overalls, gloves, a hat, and boots. That's it. They've already done what they can do.

You need to clearly say what you want changed, if you can think anything can actually be changed.

Like, Zelda for example. She has so many features they touched up. Its amazing. Bowser looks great, too. But Mario isn't gonna alter in appearance too much. Brawl achevied a pretty solid look for him.
There are plenty of different things they could slightly alter with Mario to make a big difference. DDD has about as many features as Mario that could've been changed. For one they could change Mario's eye's just slightly too make them a little bigger. Mario's eyebrows are always in an angry position but in his games they are almost never that way. Mario's head in Smash has always been bigger in proportion to his body than in his games. Also the art style they have been giving Mario lately in his games has been a little on the plasticy/shiny side. They could make him a little shiny lol. I think that'd be a little weird though but they could still change it. They could also just change his basic expression. He's always angry in Smash. Those are just a few things that could be changed to make it look more fresh. While the colors and expressions are notable the most notable change would be a little bit of a structure game.

Dairz

Smash Ace
There are plenty of different things they could slightly alter with Mario to make a big difference. DDD has about as many features as Mario that could've been changed. For one they could change Mario's eye's just slightly too make them a little bigger. Mario's eyebrows are always in an angry position but in his games they are almost never that way. Mario's head in Smash has always been bigger in proportion to his body than in his games. Also the art style they have been giving Mario lately in his games has been a little on the plasticy/shiny side. They could make him a little shiny lol. I think that'd be a little weird though but they could still change it. They could also just change his basic expression. He's always angry in Smash. Those are just a few things that could be changed to make it look more fresh. While the colors and expressions are notable the most notable change would be a little bit of a structure game.
How would anybody notice if his eyes were slightly bigger? I think the current size is fine, any bigger would look odd. And maybe its just me, but comparing 3D World to Smash, Mario looks exactly the same...

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
How would anybody notice if his eyes were slightly bigger? I think the current size is fine, any bigger would look odd. And maybe its just me, but comparing 3D World to Smash, Mario looks exactly the same...
DeDeDe had a slight change in his eyes. At first anything looks strange. Fox from Melee to Brawl looked strange the first time I saw it but then I got used to the change. I guess if he looks exactly the same to you then thats cool. But regardless of how he looks in his games or not they can still change how he looks.

Jackson

Smash Lord
DeDeDe had a slight change in his eyes. At first anything looks strange. Fox from Melee to Brawl looked strange the first time I saw it but then I got used to the change. I guess if he looks exactly the same to you then thats cool. But regardless of how he looks in his games or not they can still change how he looks.
Yep. We should be open and enjoy the new character art styles.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Mario isn't just a re-skinned brawl model, and the models are actually differently proportioned in the 3DS and Wii U versions- Mario has slightly larger hands in the 3DS version so you can see his fingers more clearly. Sakurai talked a bit about this in an Interview with a French Magazine. Also Mario is pretty Iconic so I really don't know how much they could change.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Yeah Mario's head in Brawl was massive too. I feel like it's resized perfectly in Smash 4.

I don't think any of the models are just cut and paste > re-textured. Pretty much all of them have some modification to their design from Brawl.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
The difference between Wii U and the N64 is just staggering. It amazes me that our hardware has come so far in such a short time. I absolutely LOVE Kirby's eyes, specifically the white glare at the top. Link also looks amazing, I like the brightness of his tunic this time around. I would like to see some close-up comparisons of Toon Link as well, right now he looks a little... derpy. I'm away from my Wii right now, but I'll try to get some shots of my own on Sunday, unless somebody else does it before I do.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Whats funny is, i didnt even realize how drastically fox changed until P:m got the melee skins in. Its cool to see how updated he is c: hes much more.. Humanized? Like the head and ears look soo different.

Looking forward to seeing how any other characters will change c:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I got the screens for Toon Link, here you go:

First I would like to say that those pics are quite impressive, you pretty much got all the right comparison shots.

Anyway the biggest change appearance wise has to be the brighter colors and simpler textures but other than that nothing too new.
I do also notice they added more facial expressions to him. I also like he he is getting his own set of effects like how his up B looks more like his hurricane spin.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
First I would like to say that those pics are quite impressive, you pretty much got all the right comparison shots.

Anyway the biggest change appearance wise has to be the brighter colors and simpler textures but other than that nothing too new.
I do also notice they added more facial expressions to him. I also like he he is getting his own set of effects like how his up B looks more like his hurricane spin.
I agree, in Brawl he only seemed to have like, two or three facial expressions.

Also, I decided to do Link as well:

Little disappointed you can't see his face in this one...

Pit's bow looks a LOT bigger.

I'm thinking I may do requests if you guys want as well.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
one thing i am noticing though... the cloth effects don't seem to be as... "flowy" as they appeared in Brawl. Now this may just be the early development, but a lot of the clothing of the characters looks really jagged in comparison, noticeably the Pit/Link comparison picture BHF posted.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I agree, in Brawl he only seemed to have like, two or three facial expressions.

Also, I decided to do Link as well:

Little disappointed you can't see his face in this one...

Pit's bow looks a LOT bigger.

I'm thinking I may do requests if you guys want as well.
Is it possible to get some Mario, Luigi, and Pit comparisons action shots?

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Awesome work on these man. I'd be delighted if you made more, whatever the character. Awesome comparison pics. Imo they should all be updated to the OP or you should make your own thread for these. I'd follow it in a heart beat!

ps: Love Links new chain-mail(?) thingy. You even see through the bottom rings when he is in the air. They are real rings! Nice details in this game.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Alright, I have decided to start up my own thread for my comparison shots. You can find it here. I plan on doing a character every day or two, likely excluding weekends. It'll depend on when I have some time to kill, but that's pretty often, so check up daily. Planning on getting Marth up by tonight!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Last edited:

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
This game looks some much better than Brawl. The characters and stages appear more alive and I'm especially loving the spectacular lighting.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Charizard sure has come along way.
This may just be me, but I don't think it's fair to compare two character models to two pieces of concept art. Don't get me wrong, Charizard definitely looks better, but oftentimes artwork looks leagues better than in-game models.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I absolutely love the color palette. Everything looks so crisp and vibrant. Some of the worse models got cleaned up a bit (though I still think I saw Zamus dislocate her spine). I cannot wait to see it on our mega screen we have at home.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think they may have made Charizard's head smaller for Smash 4, which I like.
Or his neck's just thicker.
I don't know, they did something right with him.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Weird how it took me until this game to notice the way the colors worked in Brawl compared to other games.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Here is one of Yoshi also.

@ BigHairyFart BigHairyFart Even still we can still compare color pallet and body proportions between the models and art.
Example: You can clearly see in the pic above of Yoshi that his shoes gradually become orange. or the fact that he gradually became more stout as time went on.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
There's only one huge horrible, game-breaking mistake with the way Charizard's rendered...the Trainer, Ivysaur and Squirtle aren't besides him.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Aesthetically, I think even Melee looks better than Brawl. Overshaded, pixelly, grimy art style... The person who made the comparison to Twilight Princess is dead on.
I think Smash 4 is a huge improvement!

Last edited:

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
In a way i kinda wish they kept Ike's old design, only because the comparison pics between Brawl and 4 look so much nicer when the character keeps the same outfit. That being said, holy polygons his new model

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
In a way i kinda wish they kept Ike's old design, only because the comparison pics between Brawl and 4 look so much nicer when the character keeps the same outfit. That being said, holy polygons his new model
Really? I think his new model and build matches the hard hitting playstyle that he has. Especially when comparing the two Brawl Ike is pretty scrawny.

Top Bottom