• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

weegee2407

Smash Cadet
Something I've noticed is that each smash game's character designs and character choices are based off of the console generation before it, i.e. 64 based off of the snes era, melee based off of 64 era, brawl based off of gamecube era, and 4 is following that trend with including very Wii era characters and model designs, ala Other M samus and skyward sword/twilight princess link.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Fox looks like a pilot in all four Smash games, in Melee he looks like an evil corgi pilot though.

I didn't say the Japanese sound ********, I said Melee Fox sounds ********, which he does. Also, just because the voices from 64 are the originals doesn't mean they're the best. Luigi's original voice was a high pitched Mario voice and it's nothing compared to his godly modern voice. The Star Fox voices used in Assault/Brawl fit the characters a lot better. Fox sounds like a leader, Falco sounds like a cocky *******, and Wolf sounds like a badass rouge.

Actually it's a game about Nintendo.
In 64/Melee he looks like a Fox who has seen some ****. Which is fine because he has seen some ****. The one in Brawl looks so trendy, it just feels like they sold out with him and made him more streamlined and "kawaii".

The "best" is subjective of course but you're comparing a rush job of taking Mario's lines and putting them at a high pitch to a game series iconic for the dialogue in SF64.

It's a game about Nintendo nostalgia.

I'm gonna use this accidental additional post to point out that Fox's new design is some kinda Frankenstein of all of his designs but it all falls flat due to modernization.

This trend of modernizing in games sucks. Remember Bomberman Act Zero?

Last edited by a moderator:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm gonna use this accidental additional post to point out that Fox's new design is some kinda Frankenstein of all of his designs but it all falls flat due to modernization.

This trend of modernizing in games sucks. Remember Bomberman Act Zero?
That is a completely different type of 'modernization.' Besides, both sides of this argument is based on opinion and personal likes and dislikes. Clearly fox has graphically improved. His design? That's a personal preference. I like Melee Fox's Head shape more (it is more fox like, but his newer face design is still okay), but the outfit I prefer Smash 4's design overall.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
That is a completely different type of 'modernization.' Besides, both sides of this argument is based on opinion and personal likes and dislikes. Clearly fox has graphically improved. His design? That's a personal preference. I like Melee Fox's Head shape more (it is more fox like, but his newer face design is still okay), but the outfit I prefer Smash 4's design overall.
Yeah but if we just accept every change as a change of the times at what point will characters not be themselves anymore?

Fox is really hard to take seriously even in the cheesy kinda context with the new look because it looks so homogenized and impersonal.

To fit how he is portrayed as now since luigi's mansion is becoming more prominent.
There's like 3 other recent games where he isn't scared at every little thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This whole thing made me remember.

Falco in Melee looks awful...

It didn't look like Falco.

It looked like a freaking parrot!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah but if we just accept every change as a change of the times at what point will characters not be themselves anymore?

Fox is really hard to take seriously even in the cheesy kinda context with the new look because it looks so homogenized and impersonal.

There's like 3 other recent games where he isn't scared at every little thing.
You can blame that on Command/recent appearances' design and the artstyle of brawl/smash 4 adding more details to plainer characters (like olimar's suit.) In some aspects it is 'modernization' because the hardware's capabilities are better graphically, but it is more of an adaption to the art style of the last two recent smashes. They have strengthened his character with more of that cowardice/ shadowed awkward brother vibe recently.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It's a game about Nintendo nostalgia.
Yeah, Roy and Pichu sure made me feel nostalgic when I played Melee. And Lucas, Lucario, Olimar and Ike made me super nostalgic about Brawl. Don't get me started on Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer. So much nostaaalgiaaaaa!!!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Yeah, Roy and Pichu sure made me feel nostalgic when I played Melee. And Lucas, Lucario, Olimar and Ike made me super nostalgic about Brawl. Don't get me started on Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer. So much nostaaalgiaaaaa!!!
I would agree it is more about nintendo vs. Nostalgia, but we do get little bursts of nostalgia each sequel with the ice climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, stages, etc. Nintendo is so heavily tied with nostalgia and the childhoods of many it is bound to happen. Anyways this is kinda off topic when talking about graphic comparisons.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
You're focusing on the last minute additions for Melee look at literally every other character, you could very well feel nostalgic for Lucas (Japanese people can anyhow) and Olimar. Lucario I'll give you, the Pokemon company is probably a ***** to work with but you'll notice the 4 other Pokemon characters are nostalgia city. Rosalina came out in 08 it is 2014 that's 6 years you can be nostalgic for something that happened 6 years ago, same for the trainer similar time.

It's not 100% nostalgia but it's a major theme.
This whole thing made me remember.

Falco in Melee looks awful...

It didn't look like Falco.

It looked like a freaking parrot!
It did look like Falco, the thing is Falco kinda looks like a parrot.
You can blame that on Command/recent appearances' design and the artstyle of brawl/smash 4 adding more details to plainer characters (like olimar's suit.) In some aspects it is 'modernization' because the hardware's capabilities are better graphically, but it is more of an adaption to the art style of the last two recent smashes. They have strengthened his character with more of that cowardice/ shadowed awkward brother vibe recently.
The thing about command is that its a spin off really. It'd be like if they based DK off of that GBA game where you climb on pegs and not DKC.

I always saw Luigi as the cool older brother because the first game he stood out to me in was Smash on N64, he always had that kinda sarcastic eyes half closed look on his face, in Mario Party he also stood out but it's kinda hard to describe how.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
The thing about command is that its a spin off really. It'd be like if they based DK off of that GBA game where you climb on pegs and not DKC.

I always saw Luigi as the cool older brother because the first game he stood out to me in was Smash on N64, he always had that kinda sarcastic eyes half closed look on his face, in Mario Party he also stood out but it's kinda hard to describe how.
Well sadly it's all starfox has gotten lately minus the remake of Star Fox 64. Also really? I always viewed them as tired eyes and he was always like the kind of cowering younger brother who always wanted to be like his older brother and looks up to him and his adventures. I do agree that luigi does stand out and he is my favorite mario brother.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
All the characters look better in this game compared to Brawl. I wish they redesigned the characters a bit more. Well some of them.

:mario2: I wish Mario didn't look so angry all the time. It would change things up if he looked more similar to 3d worlds official art then just a reskined brawl model(he has a wider head than in smash imo). Same goes for :luigi2: and :peach: .

:pikachumelee:Pikachu's nose got smaller. Theres not much they can do with him.

They did a good job with:kirbymelee:

:fox:I wish they could change around the StarFox team a bit more though. All they did for the most part is change the color of his boots.

They changed:dk2:quite a bit. but not:diddy: other than his eyes being brown.

:sonic:looks better in this one. I like the smirk he has all the time. It stays true to his character.

:samus2::bowser2: :marth:These three have the best changes currently

TL;DR I just wish that the characters could get a fresh design with each game like 64 to melee to Brawl. Smash 4 borrows a lot from brawl. But development time and all that stuff constrains that.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
TL;DR I just wish that the characters could get a fresh design with each game like 64 to melee to Brawl. Smash 4 borrows a lot from brawl. But development time and all that stuff constrains that.
But Brawl took a lot from Melee, too. Characters like Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Marth, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ice Climbers and Ness didn't change designs from Melee to Brawl.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
But Brawl took a lot from Melee, too. Characters like Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Marth, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ice Climbers and Ness didn't change designs from Melee to Brawl.
Yes. they changed a lot. Icees, Bowser, Marth, Mario, and Luigi changed from Melee to Brawl. Icees got a little thinner and taller imo. Melee to Brawl was a big jump. This game doesn't seem to have that big of a jump between designs and the characters overall look. Mario compared melee to brawl look very different. You can tell its the same character sure but the skin tone, eyes, and a bunch of other little things changed to make a big difference.

The only characters that look borrowed are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ness, G&W(obviously), and Peach.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Yes. they changed a lot. Icees, Bowser, Marth, Mario, and Luigi changed from Melee to Brawl. Icees got a little thinner and taller imo. Melee to Brawl was a big jump. This game doesn't seem to have that big of a jump between designs and the characters overall look. Mario compared melee to brawl look very different. You can tell its the same character sure but the skin tone, eyes, and a bunch of other little things changed to make a big difference.

The only characters that look borrowed are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Ness, G&W(obviously), and Peach.
Actually, Peach's Brawl dress is completely different, not even close to Melee. But Mario and ICs still look the same to me..

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Actually, Peach's Brawl dress is completely different, not even close to Melee. But Mario and ICs still look the same to me..
Yea I was kinda reaching with Peach. lol. I never really thought that she looked the same until this conversation. And I didn't bother to look at a peach comparison either. :grin:

Mario looks different enough for me.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I think the way they look in Brawl and smash4 has a lot more to do with character designs being more consistent these days and people having a lot more experience with 3d modeling. I don't know what else you guys were expecting from these models. It's not copying and pasting Brawl models, it's just how those characters look.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I think SSB4's designs suck because my opinion is better than yours

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well might as well share my opinions *sniper dot gets pointed at my head*

Mario - He defiantly looks more like he dose in the games this time around: colorful and not always angry
Luigi - Like Mario he also has a fresh coat of paint and is much more expressive
Peach - Nothing really too new but she is still glamours and looks even better with the newer added affects
Bowser - Defiantly the biggest change out of the Mario cast; he looks great this time around and finally looks like he is from the Mario games
DK - His expressions are much more lively and his fur has a pretty good improvement
Diddy - Nothing too new besides brighter colors and new expressions
Link - Nothing much about him except a brighter color pallet on the TP look, although he still is looking pretty good
Zelda - I cant put my finger on it but it seems like she has more . . . flair this time around, plus it dose seems like they went for the look from the TP concept art
Toon Link - With the brighter colors and simpler textures it looks like he just took a step right out of WWHD
Samus - Her other M look is sleek and stylish and just is great to look at
Pit - Has a look near similar to uprising, which is a good thing, and a touch of his old brawl looks making him look great
Kirby - Cute, shiny, and smooth Kirby is looking better than ever
DDD - Has a lot of expression this time around making him look less happy and dead-eyed from brawl
Olimar - A fresh new look including Little touches appearance wise from Pikmin 3
Fox - Looking fresh with new fur and improved facial expressions
Pikachu - When I first saw him I thought of the Poke-Park games, it's pretty much his most resent design and it fits in well
Lucario - Looks much more natural comparing him to brawl and the new aura effects look much better
Marth - The look from Shadow Dragon makes him look great and makes me want to his new model in action
Sonic - Overall the brighter colors and how they dealt with his expressions really made him this time around

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think the way they look in Brawl and smash4 has a lot more to do with character designs being more consistent these days and people having a lot more experience with 3d modeling. I don't know what else you guys were expecting from these models. It's not copying and pasting Brawl models, it's just how those characters look.
It just doesn't seem fresh you know? I'd like it to be like when you look at a character you can say "hey thats the Mario from smash 4! Hey thats the Mario from brawl!" Sure its the same Mario but its more exciting to see how they can make a character look different but still retain the same "look" thats all. I'm fine with how it looks. I'm not like, against this games graphics. I just wish for there to be a little more diversity between generations thats all.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing is though, as was stated before. Characters like Mario haven't really changed much in terms of design these days. Mario is still retaining his modern design he got from the Gamecube era whereas in Melee he was more based off how he looked like in the N64 artworks. So yeah, it can't really be helped much that some characters look relatively unchanged from their Brawl appearance.

I'm just glad they made Mario a little more expressive compared to what they made him like in Brawl.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The thing is though, as was stated before. Characters like Mario haven't really changed much in terms of design these days. Mario is still retaining his modern design he got from the Gamecube era whereas in Melee he was more based off how he looked like in the N64 artworks. So yeah, it can't really be helped much that some characters look relatively unchanged from their Brawl appearance.

I'm just glad they made Mario a little more expressive compared to what they made him like in Brawl.
Yea he hasn't changed much. Most of them haven't but it's exciting to see how the characters change looks when a new smash comes out. More so than just color swapping. If they made him look more like this

instead of making him look exactly like Brawl then it would freshen things up a bit. If they made his eyes a bit bigger and shrunk his head to be a little more proportionate like in this box art then that would change it up just enough to keep people from saying that this game is borrowing from brawl too much.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess the main question is, is it absolutely necessary to go through those changes? Does it bring anything more to the game to do so? Honestly I don't think so but it depends on what your looking for I suppose.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I guess the main question is, is it absolutely necessary to go through those changes? Does it bring anything more to the game to do so? Honestly I don't think so but it depends on what your looking for I suppose.
Well, yea I'd say it matters. Not that its completely necessary but it help make the game feel new. The way the characters look in comparison to the past ones helps the way the game seems like its progressed. Remember this moment?
The first time I saw it at least. I got really excited. All of the characters looked cool and new! (except Kirby lol) But with Smash 4 the most advertised character (mario) looks pretty much the same. I was kinda disappointed. Just look at the DK comparison. Has DK changed the way he looks in his games? No, not really. but they still changed his design enough to make it seem fresh and interesting. But I mean its a new game so why shouldn't the characters look new too? Thats all. I'd prefer them to change so maybe the next smash mario will look a little more different.

And I know that most of the characters have changed quite a bit. In fact haha (I've noticed this since her reveal) Peach's lips look different lol. that space in between her lips and nose looks different than before. It keeps her face from looking so flat. Yea either way I'm satisfied with the graphics but my preference is that the character designs would change between games. :grin:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
To each his own. It more or less is progressing in the exact same way as far as I can see. Melee Mario turned into washed out higher texture in Brawl which then turned into HD brighter color Mario. The design differences are not drastic enough to make me care more or less, the expressiveness of the characters and how they stand out colorwise compared to Brawl is what kind of makes the difference to me, not whether or not the base structure has been used previously.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, yea I'd say it matters. Not that its completely necessary but it help make the game feel new. The way the characters look in comparison to the past ones helps the way the game seems like its progressed. Remember this moment?
The first time I saw it at least. I got really excited. All of the characters looked cool and new! (except Kirby lol) But with Smash 4 the most advertised character (mario) looks pretty much the same. I was kinda disappointed. Just look at the DK comparison. Has DK changed the way he looks in his games? No, not really. but they still changed his design enough to make it seem fresh and interesting. But I mean its a new game so why shouldn't the characters look new too? Thats all. I'd prefer them to change so maybe the next smash mario will look a little more different.

And I know that most of the characters have changed quite a bit. In fact haha (I've noticed this since her reveal) Peach's lips look different lol. that space in between her lips and nose looks different than before. It keeps her face from looking so flat. Yea either way I'm satisfied with the graphics but my preference is that the character designs would change between games. :grin:
You are forgetting the 'big graphical change' of smash 4 is the HD. So the rendered stills like character art don't seem like that big of a jump, but playing it will feel different. Also the washed out Brawl color scheme will be more evident when playing the new smash. Another thing is Nintendo is very strict on how mario looks in game so there wasn't going to be a huge art style difference to the point of changing his proportions. (Remember this mario is based more so on the Wii generation than this generation.)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
You are forgetting the 'big graphical change' of smash 4 is the HD. So the rendered stills like character art don't seem like that big of a jump, but playing it will feel different. Also the washed out Brawl color scheme will be more evident when playing the new smash. Another thing is Nintendo is very strict on how mario looks in game so there wasn't going to be a huge art style difference to the point of changing his proportions. (Remember this mario is based more so on the Wii generation than this generation.)
Well if HD is the big graphical change then why did they bother changing any of the other characters models? I'm not asking for mario and others to look completely different. I'd just want Mario to look different but still like Mario (like they did with DK, Bowser, etc.). Nintendo was obviously aware of Wii U games seeing as how we have stages from Wii U games. In fact, some of the stages are from Wii U games that came out before 3d World and other newer Mario games. Mario's look isn't necessarily based on any specific generation its just that they wanted Mario to look a certain way. I certainly don't remember Bowser looking so evil in a Wii game. This game is rushed so I'm sure they are going to cut corners where they want.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
the game has been worked on for 2 years it's far from rushed, why should they start from the ground up when they can save time and get more content in by borrowing brawls code.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
the game has been worked on for 2 years it's far from rushed, why should they start from the ground up when they can save time and get more content in by borrowing brawls code.
Exactly. If they are trying to save time then it proves that its being rushed. Them asking Bandai Namco to help make the game proves that its being rushed as well. This game has been rushed ever since they announced it back in 2011. Brawl took 2 years to make too. That game was extremely rushed. 3 landmasters. Sakurai mentioned adding remixes of old songs to Green Hill zone and Hyrule temple. But there was only one per stage all the rest were ports. I honestly don't see how this game isn't being rushed as well. You kinda undid your own statement. You said it wasn't rushed but then implied that they'd be losing content if they didn't borrow character models from Brawl. If the game wasn't being rushed like you said then they wouldn't need to borrow character models.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Are the character models that similar to Brawl? From what I've seen they all look better/different. What am i not seeing or understanding?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Are the character models that similar to Brawl? From what I've seen they all look better/different. What am i not seeing or understanding?
Actually yea most of them are a lot better I'd say lol. Just Mario, Luigi, Diddy, Lucario, and Fox don't seem to have changed too much. I guess Lucario and other Pokemon can't change too much. Though if Ivy comes back I hope they don't make him as wide. I feel like he should have a skinnier look to him like in his official artwork.

I just wish they changed how these characters looked a little more than a color change you know? The way that they change a characters look without losing the essence of a character further distances this game from the past ones in the series. Mario is probably the most advertised character in smash. Seeing him look so similar kinda says (on a very shallow level) "yea we are just doing more of the same" I guarantee that if Mario looked different in this game in comparison the last one you'd have less people saying that this game looks like brawl.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well if HD is the big graphical change then why did they bother changing any of the other characters models? I'm not asking for mario and others to look completely different. I'd just want Mario to look different but still like Mario (like they did with DK, Bowser, etc.). Nintendo was obviously aware of Wii U games seeing as how we have stages from Wii U games. In fact, some of the stages are from Wii U games that came out before 3d World and other newer Mario games. Mario's look isn't necessarily based on any specific generation its just that they wanted Mario to look a certain way. I certainly don't remember Bowser looking so evil in a Wii game. This game is rushed so I'm sure they are going to cut corners where they want.
To fit the more colorful art style, so mario, kirby, etc. already fit. Bowser, Samus, etc. Didn't fit the clean polished looks as much so they were changed. Some characters don't get games as often so their designs stay fairly similar. It will be like Melee to Brawl how some got slight alterations instead of a full revamp to the physical design (Not talking about the art style changes.)
Exactly. If they are trying to save time then it proves that its being rushed. Them asking Bandai Namco to help make the game proves that its being rushed as well. This game has been rushed ever since they announced it back in 2011. Brawl took 2 years to make too. That game was extremely rushed. 3 landmasters. Sakurai mentioned adding remixes of old songs to Green Hill zone and Hyrule temple. But there was only one per stage all the rest were ports. I honestly don't see how this game isn't being rushed as well. You kinda undid your own statement. You said it wasn't rushed but then implied that they'd be losing content if they didn't borrow character models from Brawl. If the game wasn't being rushed like you said then they wouldn't need to borrow character models.
You do know how game development works, right? Having Namco Bandai members on the team doesn't equal them rushing. You do know Brawl had several smaller companies helping with the dev team, but they weren't a big brand name like Namco Bandai. I have a feeling it was a marketing move to announce the partnership with Namco Bandai to appease fans that this game will be more balanced and less casual focused like Brawl. The models are not ripped for the playable characters, I agree with whoever said earlier on in the thread that their designs have become more consistent over the years. Another thing that Brawl had to deal with was tons of pre-rendered fully animated cut-scenes which took a lot of time to make, although they have publicly stated that the hardware was having technical issues and some things had to be altered in the final product for Brawl. We do know that the newest smash was planned since around the release/reveal of the 3DS when Sakurai was throwing around the idea of a portable smash bros. Also about the songs there were unused songs in the data for Brawl, and I knew a lot of them were actually for mother so maybe that is evidence for trying to add more remixes/renditions of songs to preexisting stages. Overall we do not know if it is being rushed or not; it is just speculation either way.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
To fit the more colorful art style, so mario, kirby, etc. already fit. Bowser, Samus, etc. Didn't fit the clean polished looks as much so they were changed. Some characters don't get games as often so their designs stay fairly similar. It will be like Melee to Brawl how some got slight alterations instead of a full revamp to the physical design (Not talking about the art style changes.)

You do know how game development works, right? Having Namco Bandai members on the team doesn't equal them rushing. You do know Brawl had several smaller companies helping with the dev team, but they weren't a big brand name like Namco Bandai. I have a feeling it was a marketing move to announce the partnership with Namco Bandai to appease fans that this game will be more balanced and less casual focused like Brawl. The models are not ripped for the playable characters, I agree with whoever said earlier on in the thread that their designs have become more consistent over the years. Another thing that Brawl had to deal with was tons of pre-rendered fully animated cut-scenes which took a lot of time to make, although they have publicly stated that the hardware was having technical issues and some things had to be altered in the final product for Brawl. We do know that the newest smash was planned since around the release/reveal of the 3DS when Sakurai was throwing around the idea of a portable smash bros. Also about the songs there were unused songs in the data for Brawl, and I knew a lot of them were actually for mother so maybe that is evidence for trying to add more remixes/renditions of songs to preexisting stages. Overall we do not know if it is being rushed or not; it is just speculation either way.
I don't think that all the changes were made to fit the art style of the game. I think bowsers color changed because of the art style but they also changed his posture and many other things about him that go beyond the art style. I don't think they changed Samus just because of her art style. Sakurai said that it was inspired by Other M. Sure it fits the art style just fine but I don't think the sole purpose of changing her was to fin the art style.

DeDeDe is another good example of how they could've changed other characters like Fox. DeDeDe hasn't really changed but they made him look different. Its really doesn't make sense to say that they can't change how a character looks in smash bros if they haven't changed in their own games. Characters like Pit and Ice Climbers would look very different in Brawl and Melee if they couldn't change how they looked because they haven't had a game come out recently.

Sakurai has even said that Namco is helping to help development go by quicker. Remember, they are working on two games not just one. While Brawl had cutscenes Smash 4 is coming out for Wii U and 3ds. So they are trying to cut time as much as possible. Evidently they are doing it through some of the character models too. But talking about development time is off topic.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't think that all the changes were made to fit the art style of the game. I think bowsers color changed because of the art style but they also changed his posture and many other things about him that go beyond the art style. I don't think they changed Samus just because of her art style. Sakurai said that it was inspired by Other M. Sure it fits the art style just fine but I don't think the sole purpose of changing her was to fin the art style.

DeDeDe is another good example of how they could've changed other characters like Fox. DeDeDe hasn't really changed but they made him look different. Its really doesn't make sense to say that they can't change how a character looks in smash bros if they haven't changed in their own games. Characters like Pit and Ice Climbers would look very different in Brawl and Melee if they couldn't change how they looked because they haven't had a game come out recently.

Sakurai has even said that Namco is helping to help development go by quicker. Remember, they are working on two games not just one. While Brawl had cutscenes Smash 4 is coming out for Wii U and 3ds. So they are trying to cut time as much as possible. Evidently they are doing it through some of the character models too. But talking about development time is off topic.
I didnt mean samus was changed because of the new art style, I meant they decided to use her other M design as her smash design over her more iconic designs because it fit. They probably would have used it anyways because it was the last game in the series. They can't keep changing characters though and have them still be the same characters. The big pull seems to be fox's new fur. Ice climbers and pit are different compared to fox since fox is one of the flagship mascots and he is part of a larger franchise than the others. Pit was designed as if he changed throughout the years like link. I personally think Fox looks fine. It isn't like they could change much more and keep him consistent or better than his last appearances and with how he looks in Brawl.

(Also link for that last bit because I have never seen that before, only to help on balancing (I guess in effect that'd help "speed things up" in an arbitrary sense.))

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
The reason Mario hasn't changed much is because his Mario canon counterpart hasn't changed at all either, comparing his 3D World promotional render with the Smash 4 one, there's no difference.

It's not like DK who looks different even though he doesn't look like his DKCR or TF self, because DK doesn't really have an official recent design, he is in Smash just like he is in the spin-offs (MK8), also because his Brawl model wasn't that good, his 3DS model still looks like Brawl and it doesn't look very good.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I didnt mean samus was changed because of the new art style, I meant they decided to use her other M design as her smash design over her more iconic designs because it fit. They probably would have used it anyways because it was the last game in the series. They can't keep changing characters though and have them still be the same characters. The big pull seems to be fox's new fur. Ice climbers and pit are different compared to fox since fox is one of the flagship mascots and he is part of a larger franchise than the others. Pit was designed as if he changed throughout the years like link. I personally think Fox looks fine. It isn't like they could change much more and keep him consistent or better than his last appearances and with how he looks in Brawl.

(Also link for that last bit because I have never seen that before, only to help on balancing (I guess in effect that'd help "speed things up" in an arbitrary sense.))
Oh ok, Yea they seem to be taking characters to their newest designs. Yea they can keep changing characters and have them still be the same. Fox's new fur is only detailed in his artwork not in gameplay. They did change his boots though... They can change Fox though. There is a lot of creativity in these people. Saying that they can't come up with a new altered design is like saying that they can't come up with StarFox song remixes anymore. Art is art whether in character designs or music, creativity can't be contained. Its not as difficult as you think to just make a character look a little bit more different than the last time while still retaining the characters look. Its the same thing with Mario. If they changed him a little bit more then its not like we would forget that its Mario.

It seems like they want to speed things up in this http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=179783 but I guess it depends on how your looking at it.

The reason Mario hasn't changed much is because his Mario canon counterpart hasn't changed at all either, comparing his 3D World promotional render with the Smash 4 one, there's no difference.

It's not like DK who looks different even though he doesn't look like his DKCR or TF self, because DK doesn't really have an official recent design, he is in Smash just like he is in the spin-offs (MK8), also because his Brawl model wasn't that good, his 3DS model still looks like Brawl and it doesn't look very good.
I don't think Bowsers canon counterpart has changed either but they changed how he looks. Yes the 3d world artwork Mario and Sm4sh Mario do look different (head size, eye size etc.). But the point is that they can change how he looks and he will still be Mario. I'm not asking for a big change, just minuscule details that add up to a change. Just like with DeDeDe. Its possible or them to do it.

What do you mean Dk doesn't have an official recent design? There have been so many games with DK in it recently. All the Mario spin-off games, his own racing game, DKCR. Saying that he looks like how he does just in the spin-off's just sounds like you're guessing what he's based on. I don't think they specifically base some characters on just their recent designs anyways. Bowser being one of them too. DK's Brawl model not looking good is just your opinion. If I said that I didn't like Luigi's Brawl model does that warrant his change in Smash 4?(I think Luigi's brawl model was fine for brawl btw) Apparently not. DK's 3ds model isn't trying to look like Brawl. The fur isn't light brown he has big eyes and his skin isn't pinkish like in Brawl. It probably doesn't look very good to you because its on a 3ds.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh ok, Yea they seem to be taking characters to their newest designs. Yea they can keep changing characters and have them still be the same. Fox's new fur is only detailed in his artwork not in gameplay. They did change his boots though... They can change Fox though. There is a lot of creativity in these people. Saying that they can't come up with a new altered design is like saying that they can't come up with StarFox song remixes anymore. Art is art whether in character designs or music, creativity can't be contained. Its not as difficult as you think to just make a character look a little bit more different than the last time while still retaining the characters look. Its the same thing with Mario. If they changed him a little bit more then its not like we would forget that its Mario.

It seems like they want to speed things up in this http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=179783 but I guess it depends on how your looking at it.

I don't think Bowsers canon counterpart has changed either but they changed how he looks. Yes the 3d world artwork Mario and Sm4sh Mario do look different (head size, eye size etc.). But the point is that they can change how he looks and he will still be Mario. I'm not asking for a big change, just minuscule details that add up to a change. Just like with DeDeDe. Its possible or them to do it.
Smash's bowser never looked like Mario's bowser fully. They kind of had to play catch up and fix it. Also the fur is updated in gameplay compared to Brawl for fox and I meant a full redesign like melee to brawl. You lose a lot in a character if they change drastically every generation especially if you lose some of their iconic image. I never said they couldn't do it, I just disagree that yet another redesign would be best for fox. Also there really is no reason to redesign fox. Most people that dislike the design either want Melee fox back or dislike a single feature like his head shape or shoe shape.

Also I am not so sure if that is really good evidence that they are rushing or not, to me it doesn't seem so.

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I don't think Bowsers canon counterpart has changed either but they changed how he looks.
He is based on the Mario & Luigi RPGs Bowser. My point was that Mario doesn't have other appearances to be based on. You could think that he does have different designs, just like how I pointed out that Mario & Luigi RPGs feature characters with different designs, but Mario's morphology in those games would impact the gameplay in Smash (he seems taller and thiner, and Luigi even moreso) and Mario, being the all-around character, doesn't need to be reworked like Bowser was by changing design.
Just in case I worded it weird, I don't mean that he was reworked because of the new design, more that SINCE he was reworked they gave him a new design

Yes the 3d world artwork Mario and Sm4sh Mario do look different (head size, eye size etc.). But the point is that they can change how he looks and he will still be Mario. I'm not asking for a big change, just minuscule details that add up to a change. Just like with DeDeDe. Its possible or them to do it.
Even though I don't think they're different, fair point, though I can't see what appearance they can base it off, since DDD was based on the anime. If they were to make Mario feel different, they need to add their own touch. Maybe they should? That's what they did with Peach and Rosalina!!:colorful:

What do you mean Dk doesn't have an official recent design? There have been so many games with DK in it recently.All the Mario spin-off games, his own racing game, DKCR.
That's what I mean, because there are a lot of recent DK games, but they don't all make him look the same, Retro studio DK looks a bit different compared to Mario Spin-off DK. And Mario Spin-off DK is the same as DK when not by Retro studio or in JungleBeat. The only thing Smash DK has that normal DK doesn't is the fur.

Saying that he looks like how he does just in the spin-off's just sounds like you're guessing what he's based on. I don't think they specifically base some characters on just their recent designs anyways. Bowser being one of them too. DK's Brawl model not looking good is just your opinion. If I said that I didn't like Luigi's Brawl model does that warrant his change in Smash 4?(I think Luigi's brawl model was fine for brawl btw) Apparently not. DK's 3ds model isn't trying to look like Brawl. The fur isn't light brown he has big eyes and his skin isn't pinkish like in Brawl. It probably doesn't look very good to you because its on a 3ds.
Mind you, I, too, actually like Brawl DK :), but I was mostly referencing what some other people think around here, because Brawl's realism made him realistic (big surprise :troll:) and the general idea is that he looked "weird" or "bad" to some, compared to the "actual" one in Mario games. So by "bad" I meant it more like how he looks different, and I think that some 3DS characters look a lot like their Brawl self, including DK (but this is all opinion), I'm sorry, I didn't mean "bad" so literally.

I also don't claim to officially know what design inspired the Smash DK, but like I said earlier, doesn't look like Retro Studio or JungleBeat, and aside from these, there's pretty much only one other DK design, the Mario universe one.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Smash's bowser never looked like Mario's bowser fully. They kind of had to play catch up and fix it. Also the fur is updated in gameplay compared to Brawl for fox and I meant a full redesign like melee to brawl. You lose a lot in a character if they change drastically every generation especially if you lose some of their iconic image. I never said they couldn't do it, I just disagree that yet another redesign would be best for fox. Also there really is no reason to redesign fox. Most people that dislike the design either want Melee fox back or dislike a single feature like his head shape or shoe shape.

Also I am not so sure if that is really good evidence that they are rushing or not, to me it doesn't seem so.
I don't think they are really trying to play catch up by making Bowser's design different. I agree that his stance and colors are more Mario-esque but I think they were more focused on buffing him and his posture redesign is in correlation to his buffs.

I'm not really asking for a drastic change in characters. Just something more notable. DeDeDe is a good example. To me at least DeDeDe still looks like DeDeDe but they still managed to change him. DeDeDe hasn't really changed in design either. I'll agree that most people that want to change the design of Fox are unpleased with how he looks. I like Fox's design in 64, Melee, and Brawl because they are all different yet good. But, moving the Brawl design to smash 4 is something that I'd rather not have. I just want it to look a bit more fresh (like other characters have changed). I guess we will just disagree on this. There's really no point in arguing this anymore. I feel like I accidentaly write an essay every time I reply lol! :grin: :happysheep: but it was still a good talk.

He is based on the Mario & Luigi RPGs Bowser. My point was that Mario doesn't have other appearances to be based on. You could think that he does have different designs, just like how I pointed out that Mario & Luigi RPGs feature characters with different designs, but Mario's morphology in those games would impact the gameplay in Smash (he seems taller and thiner, and Luigi even moreso) and Mario, being the all-around character, doesn't need to be reworked like Bowser was by changing design.
Just in case I worded it weird, I don't mean that he was reworked because of the new design, more that SINCE he was reworked they gave him a new design

Even though I don't think they're different, fair point, though I can't see what appearance they can base it off, since DDD was based on the anime. If they were to make Mario feel different, they need to add their own touch. Maybe they should? That's what they did with Peach and Rosalina!!:colorful:

That's what I mean, because there are a lot of recent DK games, but they don't all make him look the same, Retro studio DK looks a bit different compared to Mario Spin-off DK. And Mario Spin-off DK is the same as DK when not by Retro studio or in JungleBeat. The only thing Smash DK has that normal DK doesn't is the fur.

Mind you, I, too, actually like Brawl DK :), but I was mostly referencing what some other people think around here, because Brawl's realism made him realistic (big surprise :troll:) and the general idea is that he looked "weird" or "bad" to some, compared to the "actual" one in Mario games. So by "bad" I meant it more like how he looks different, and I think that some 3DS characters look a lot like their Brawl self, including DK (but this is all opinion), I'm sorry, I didn't mean "bad" so literally.

I also don't claim to officially know what design inspired the Smash DK, but like I said earlier, doesn't look like Retro Studio or JungleBeat, and aside from these, there's pretty much only one other DK design, the Mario universe one.
I feel like when people say that each character is based on specific things then you can kinda get lost with which game its based off of or it limits what they can do (I know you probably don't think that it limits it but to me it just sounds like it). While yes its obvious that Samus is based on Other M and Marth is based on his latest game, other characters don't have to be based on a specific game. I really don't think that Bowser is supposed to look like he does in the RPG's. I think they just decided to make Bowser look mean in Smash Bros. His color scheme looks like how it does in most Mario games. So, bringing it back to Mario, they don't have to make Mario based on any specific game. They just need to make him look like Mario. They can change how he looks without changing how he plays too. I agree with your point on Bowser though.

Like you said with Peach and Rosalina they have added their own touch to Mario. At least I can see it ;). But they should change it a bit more with each game. I'm not saying they should change Mario too much. Just enough to make him look the same... but different.... if you catch my drift... lol.

Top Bottom