• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
I like the direction Smash 4's art style is taking. It's sufficiently detailed, but not trying to be hyper-realistic. Melee and Brawl both tried to make the characters look realistic. In some cases, it works, but with others, it just looks jarring. This way, the more toony characters (Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Pikachu, etc) fit in with the more realistic-proportioned ones, rather than the 'Untoon' look from the previous titles.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Speaking of clipping, Zelda's dress is good news for me in a way because to avoid clipping in Brawl, the princesses's dresses were animated with their legs in lots of animations, it looked weird.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
I'm glad they've decided to step up from that weird shiny clay almost N64 graphic models of NSMB WiiU.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Is everyone now based off of their most recent game?
Not entirely. Wii Fit Trainer appears as she originally did, instead of in her Wii Fit U design. Fox also, technically, can be classified as such, as his design is still based on Command, and not 643D. There's also the rather obvious retention of Twilight Princess designs in Link and Zelda. And like R.O.B. said, Villager appears as he would've in Wild World or City Folk, rather than New Leaf.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
I do not understand why the TP designs remain. Didn't people like the Skyward Sword ones? I did.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think he meant that she doesn't have her usual royal princess design which is what she usually has for the majority of the series so it may not represent her properly. I guess that may be as well but I still think the bigger reason was that they didn't want to bother creating redesigns for Ganondorf and Sheik as if they appeared in Skyward Sword again. (perhaps Zelda too)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Am I the only one who think's SSB4's designs for Fox, Sonic, Samus, etc. look AMAZING and MUCH better than before?
Of course I am, what kind of stupid question is that?
Fox & crew hasn't looked really cool in a game since 64/Melee, the last game where whoever was behind the series had a brain and a sense of style. The nametag, triangle motif the way the light colors on the jacket and gloves made the scarf shirt and pants stand out, that all the characters were focused on primary colors, the fact that they were designed to be appealing to look at head on (like you'd need in a game about flying). Now it's just safe bull****. Fox may as well be the frontman for frosted flakes or some **** with that design. They even changed the voice from the 64 cast for god knows why, it was only the most iconic voice acting in a Nintendo game. Nintendo really dropped the ball.

Sonic is just going with the game's style so I don't know what you're talking about.

Samus looks alright, her new suit is from a game no one cares about so that's upsetting, her pose on the website is plain stupid but it could have gone worse.

Anything else?
I hate when people talk about Brawl wasn't very good. Brawl was a very good game. If you like the Smash Bros Series, then you should like every game in it.
Reevaluate your entire thought process. From the ground up, tear it all down. What the ****...

She looks different in every game.
Marginally. She has basically the same face and outfit. SS looks like a completely different character.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Fox & crew hasn't looked really cool in a game since 64/Melee, the last game where whoever was behind the series had a brain and a sense of style. The nametag, triangle motif the way the light colors on the jacket and gloves made the scarf shirt and pants stand out, that all the characters were focused on primary colors, the fact that they were designed to be appealing to look at head on (like you'd need in a game about flying). Now it's just safe bull****. Fox may as well be the frontman for frosted flakes or some **** with that design. They even changed the voice from the 64 cast for god knows why, it was only the most iconic voice acting in a Nintendo game. Nintendo really dropped the ball.

Sonic is just going with the game's style so I don't know what you're talking about.

Samus looks alright, her new suit is from a game no one cares about so that's upsetting, her pose on the website is plain stupid but it could have gone worse.

Anything else?

Reevaluate your entire thought process. From the ground up, tear it all down. What the ****...

Marginally. She has basically the same face and outfit. SS looks like a completely different character.
I am playing other m now and the hate is very overstated, I am actually enjoying other m.

R0Y

Smash Master

the Pikachu weight loss story, a Smash perspective:

Last edited:

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
Regardless of how the game was Super Metroid is the holy grail of Metroid.
just because one game is better don't make the other games bad, I am going to go ahead and say it other m is a step in the right direction for Nintendo. I believe giving samus a voice gave her some character while super metroid was good she just seemed like a stereotypical bad ass killing things. I just think ppl are scared of change and wont except anything that not the same as it was in the past. I started other m expecting to find a terrible game but I am pleasantly surprised that's not the truth.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Warning Received
just because one game is better don't make the other games bad, I am going to go ahead and say it other m is a step in the right direction for Nintendo. I believe giving samus a voice gave her some character while super metroid was good she just seemed like a stereotypical bad *** killing things. I just think ppl are scared of change and wont except anything that not the same as it was in the past. I started other m expecting to find a terrible game but I am pleasantly surprised that's not the truth.
Look, I don't care about your half baked opinion on the Metroid series. Honestly. I could not give less of a ****.

In Smash Bros she should have the most iconic outfit, this trend of putting the latest look on characters in crossovers is freaking stupid to the point where some characters aren't even recognizable anymore.

The Prime suit would have been fine, Metroid 1, fine. But the one in Other:M looks a little too different.

It would be like if they put Sonic in with that scarf and all that duct tape only much less stupid.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I think you are exagerrating. Fox looks great. And so will Falco, assuming he will return.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I disagree with almost everything you said. Melee Fox's face is butt ugly and his body proportions are weird as hell. The colors also suck. The olive green jumpsuit and piss stain colored jacket are very unappealing. I don't care for Brawl's color scheme either, but Smash 4 Fox is better in every aspect than Melee Fox. His face actually has character and doesn't just make him look like an evil corgi. The colors are perfect. The use of green, red, grey and black are distributed nicely throughout his entiredesign, and the overall design of his outfit like the fingerless gloves, the details on his jacket, and the holster are nice touches. I was never too fond of Brawl Fox, but with Smash 4's art direction he blows Melee Fox away. And to top it all off, Fox has never had his 64 voice in a Smash game. In Melee he sounded retarted, and I don't mean that as an insult, he LITERALLY sounded retarted. His modern voice suits the character.

Don't get me started on Falco, I never thought Melee Falco looked good, even back in the day when I was floored by that game. Brawl Falco was an improvement in every aspect. The way his hair/head feathers were designed, his much improved beak, the added helmet thingy that the team uses, the color scheme (which I expect to be even more improved should he return in Smash 4, and especially his awesome voice. "You aren't worth the trouble."

To be fair, I think Melee's designs/character models in general are weak and outdated. There are only two characters who look superior in Melee than in Brawl and/or Smash 4 in my opinion, Captain Falcon and Ness.

Last edited:

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
Look, I don't care about your half baked opinion on the Metroid series. Honestly. I could not give less of a ****.

In Smash Bros she should have the most iconic outfit, this trend of putting the latest look on characters in crossovers is freaking stupid to the point where some characters aren't even recognizable anymore.

The Prime suit would have been fine, Metroid 1, fine. But the one in Other:M looks a little too different.

It would be like if they put Sonic in with that scarf and all that duct tape only much less stupid.
my opinion is far from half baked I enjoyed other M and I really don't care if you care or not I am going to express my opion which I have a right to. Other M suit looks fine and IMO is better then brawls which was to bulky for my taste.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not really seeing much wrong with the Other M design. Looks pretty similar to some of her other design's, perhaps a little smoother and all. What exactly is rubbing people the wrong way with it?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Speaking of Samus, it always amazed me how she was able to curl into a ball without breaking any body parts lol

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'm not really seeing much wrong with the Other M design. Looks pretty similar to some of her other design's, perhaps a little smoother and all. What exactly is rubbing people the wrong way with it?
People have just decided that Other M is so bad, that Everything about it is bad. :/ I for one, can't look at Brawl's Samus now without thinking "Man, she looks so... clunky." Other M's Design just looks so smooth and nice, and fits Smash 4 better, imo. ^^

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People have just decided that Other M is so bad, that Everything about it is bad. :/ I for one, can't look at Brawl's Samus now without thinking "Man, she looks so... clunky." Other M's Design just looks so smooth and nice, and fits Smash 4 better, imo. ^^
Eh I guess it may just be because I've never played Other M before, so I just don't really see why this design is such a huge issue for some people as it looks just fine to me. It could very well be because people didn't like the game so much, that they hate that Samus's design was based off it. Did people also hate it before Other M was released?

Then again, I guess this discussion is probably more appropriate in the Samus thread.... :/

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Eh I guess it may just be because I've never played Other M before, so I just don't really see why this design is such a huge issue for some people as it looks just fine to me. It could very well be because people didn't like the game so much, that they hate that Samus's design was based off it. Did people also hate it before Other M was released?

Then again, I guess this discussion is probably more appropriate in the Samus thread.... :/
If I remember correctly, people quite liked Samus' design Before Other M was released. But people seemingly hated it so much that anything Other M related, like her design, just gives them a bad taste. On a side note, Other M wasn't Amazing, but the hate for it is quite ridiculous~ You should try it. ^^

Oh, and sorry, didn't mean to go too much off-topic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I remember correctly, people quite liked Samus' design Before Other M was released. But people seemingly hated it so much that anything Other M related, like her design, just gives them a bad taste. On a side note, Other M wasn't Amazing, but the hate for it is quite ridiculous~ You should try it. ^^

Oh, and sorry, didn't mean to go too much off-topic.
Oh alrighty I see. Guess I'll give the game a go one day. Still need to get on with Metroid Prime 2 though..... >>

And it's okay, no worries. I was just as much guilty of it as you.

Anyway, back to discussing Brawl and Smash 4 graphics I guess.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Oh alrighty I see. Guess I'll give the game a go one day. Still need to get on with Metroid Prime 2 though..... >>

And it's okay, no worries. I was just as much guilty of it as you.

Anyway, back to discussing Brawl and Smash 4 graphics I guess.
Not even played Prime 2? You have not lived. D:

Also, thank you kindly. ^^ I will.

With this. A extremely good example at how glorious Pikachu looks like, compared to Brawl's model, haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Not even played Prime 2? You have not lived. D:

Also, thank you kindly. ^^ I will.

With this. A extremely good example at how glorious Pikachu looks like, compared to Brawl's model, haha.

I do have the game, just haven't got around to fully playing it, still at the earlier parts of the game I believe. And you're welcome.

Yeah Pikachu is looking great in the new game. A lot of characters do. It's kinda weird how Brawl's graphics look very aged and washed out compared to the new game now. I used to recall it looking very awesome way back then. ^^

Then again, I guess since most of Nintendo's series are very bright and colourful, going for a more colourful art direction was the right way to go.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I do have the game, just haven't got around to fully playing it, still at the earlier parts of the game I believe. And you're welcome.

Yeah Pikachu is looking great in the new game. A lot of characters do. It's kinda weird how Brawl's graphics look very aged and washed out compared to the new game now. I used to recall it looking very awesome way back then. ^^

Then again, I guess since most of Nintendo's series are very bright and colourful, going for a more colourful art direction was the right way to go.
Ah, good enough. Seriously, good luck at the later parts of the game, heh.

And yeah, Brawl DID look good. But then Smash U came and ruined it, basically. I am very happy they take advantage of the colors this time, works so much better than to wash Everything out with grays and Browns. Also, that smoothness on Pika~

People say that Smash U doesn't look good enough. But, it looks a LOT better than Brawl, and isn't that what's most important for a sequel when it comes to Graphics? To look better than the previous game? It works for me. ^^

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I don't understand why people like Fox and Falco's Melee designs. They're hideous.
I'm okay with Melee Fox, but agreed with Falco. The only thing good about Melee Falco is that sexy light blue jacket (I think I might have said this 10+ times already). I really hope he has a similar color scheme in Smash 4.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I disagree with almost everything you said. Melee Fox's face is butt ugly and his body proportions are weird as hell. The colors also suck. The olive green jumpsuit and piss stain colored jacket are very unappealing. I don't care for Brawl's color scheme either, but Smash 4 Fox is better in every aspect than Melee Fox. His face actually has character and doesn't just make him look like an evil corgi. The colors are perfect. The use of green, red, grey and black are distributed nicely throughout his entiredesign, and the overall design of his outfit like the fingerless gloves, the details on his jacket, and the holster are nice touches. I was never too fond of Brawl Fox, but with Smash 4's art direction he blows Melee Fox away. And to top it all off, Fox has never had his 64 voice in a Smash game. In Melee he sounded retarted, and I don't mean that as an insult, he LITERALLY sounded retarted. His modern voice suits the character.

Don't get me started on Falco, I never thought Melee Falco looked good, even back in the day when I was floored by that game. Brawl Falco was an improvement in every aspect. The way his hair/head feathers were designed, his much improved beak, the added helmet thingy that the team uses, the color scheme (which I expect to be even more improved should he return in Smash 4, and especially his awesome voice. "You aren't worth the trouble."

To be fair, I think Melee's designs/character models in general are weak and outdated. There are only two characters who look superior in Melee than in Brawl and/or Smash 4 in my opinion, Captain Falcon and Ness.
The thing about Fox in Melee is, he looks like a pilot. I know this is a little known fact but Star Fox is a series about flying a spaceship. Crazy I know.

The new design has brighter colors (because everything in Smash 4 does) but they gave it too much color. Fox is very understated, he was never very flashy in the sense that besides the metal legs and the headset thing he was realistic (ignoring that he's a fox obviously). Coloring his gloves and giving him clown boots was not the way to go. The holster, I'll give you makes sense.

Speaking of clown boots way to totally shoot down a cool theme of Star Fox and replace it with silly boots. Did you ever wonder why Fox and Falco's normals were more or less exclusively kicks in 64/Melee?

And the voice, in 64 and Melee nobody had an English voice so you basically just said "the Japanese sound ********" but in the cameos on Corneria they got the voices from Star Fox Adventures which were different than 64 because... **** you that's why. In Brawl they made Falco from Brooklyn and Wolf from Texas, I wasn't aware those two places existed in the Lylat System. The killer is they know where to find the actors from 64 because they hired them back for the remake.

I don't understand why people like Fox and Falco's Melee designs. They're hideous.
Smash is a game about nostalgia, Star Fox is only known for the first 2 games and the rest are ok at best. Bam, answer. Also they had a lot more subtle things in the designs, backwards triangles, nametags, bionic legs etc.
my opinion is far from half baked I enjoyed other M and I really don't care if you care or not I am going to express my opion which I have a right to. Other M suit looks fine and IMO is better then brawls which was to bulky for my taste.
Way to skip the other points I made champ.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The thing about Fox in Melee is, he looks like a pilot. I know this is a little known fact but Star Fox is a series about flying a spaceship. Crazy I know.
Fox looks like a pilot in all four Smash games, in Melee he looks like an evil corgi pilot though.

And the voice, in 64 and Melee nobody had an English voice so you basically just said "the Japanese sound ********" but in the cameos on Corneria they got the voices from Star Fox Adventures which were different than 64 because... **** you that's why. In Brawl they made Falco from Brooklyn and Wolf from Texas, I wasn't aware those two places existed in the Lylat System. The killer is they know where to find the actors from 64 because they hired them back for the remake.
I didn't say the Japanese sound ********, I said Melee Fox sounds ********, which he does. Also, just because the voices from 64 are the originals doesn't mean they're the best. Luigi's original voice was a high pitched Mario voice and it's nothing compared to his godly modern voice. The Star Fox voices used in Assault/Brawl fit the characters a lot better. Fox sounds like a leader, Falco sounds like a cocky *******, and Wolf sounds like a badass rouge.

Smash is a game about nostalgia.
Actually it's a game about Nintendo.

Top Bottom