• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Fox will get back his old look the same day Tiny Kong does.

So never. They officially retconned the "realistic space animals with amputated legs" look back in '02 folks.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
I don't understand why people are saying that the graphics are unimpressive and outdated. It's smash bros, all it needs to do is look pretty in my honest opinion, and plus it fits with the Nintendo style more than brawl did.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Meh, everything after the N64 looks great.
I prefer Bowser's Melee design and Samus' super metroid design that was used up until now.
The real improvement I noticed was on the stages. I love how you can see the rocky unevenness of the ground, whereas in melee and brawl the terrain was flat. I was kinda dissapointed by the totally flat skyloft and smashville.

Last edited:
I prefer Fox's new look.

But I'm not a Melee-tard so...
Dude shut up.

It has nothing to do with Melee and everything to do with Fox having a weird shaped human esq head with a LeBron James hairline. Fox looks great in Melee because his design was believable and realistic.

Fox in Brawl is ugly, and this incarnation is barely a step above it.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I'm a fan of the less fox looking Fox. The art direction in this game is great.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Dude shut up.

It has nothing to do with Melee and everything to do with Fox having a weird shaped human esq head with a LeBron James hairline. Fox looks great in Melee because his design was believable and realistic.

I think it may be a culture thing. This design might be well received across seas because of its cute factor and its shiba-inu esque face shape. (Shiba inus are a very popular dog breed in Japan.)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Dude shut up.

Look at my avatar and tell me that fox has a human shaped head.
I'm a fox tard and pretty indifferent towards his appearance...

I think it may be a culture thing. This design might be well received across seas because of its cute factor and its shiba-inu esque face shape. (Shiba inus are a very popular dog breed in Japan.)
That's true.

Personally, I think he should have been given an all new design. Maybe something with more prominent fur.

Look at my avatar and tell me that fox has a human shaped head.
I'm a fox tard and pretty indifferent towards his appearance...
From the profile, not as much. But I feel like he has a more human look because of his mouth lacking the black outlining that is prominent on canines.

It sucks that his fur isn't as clearly defined as his render picture.

Either way, I still love Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Fox will get back his old look the same day Tiny Kong does.

So never. They officially retconned the "realistic space animals with amputated legs" look back in '02 folks.

It's a remake, yes. But remakes are prime ground for retcons where applicable. The "realistic space animals" look isn't retconned so much as it hasn't been used in a long time. Each Star Fox game drastically redesigns the characters. Melee's Fox was based on Star Fox 64, which had the more foxy face. SSB4's Fox is still based on Command's Fox, as was Brawl's, since that's the most recent incarnation of the character outside of remakes.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Like I previously stated, the Melee Fox look does have its merits. But Melee Falco looks absolutely terrible. I'd take Bralco over that abomination any day everyday. Just bring back that gahlike blue jacket pls.

As for Samus, I am digging this new design. I never was satisfied with her Melee and Brawl look, they just felt off and robot-y, even though they were based on Super Metroid. The 64 one, despite the bad graphics, looks better than those two.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
From the profile, not as much. But I feel like he has a more human look because of his mouth lacking the black outlining that is prominent on canines.
It sucks that his fur isn't as clearly defined as his render picture.
Either way, I still love Fox.
I'm kinda iffy on Fox's design too, I mean, Foxes are red and have long snouts. Maybe they look different in Japan. Then again, he's a hyper advanced humanoid alien so fu$# logic.

Man, I never noticed how friggin hedious DK was in Brawl. The crazy part about this is Kirby looks great. He actually looks soft and fluffy.I didn't think it was possible to improve Kirby.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

This is fox's inspirations. That's why he has the bandanna and the lighter shade and eyebrows and what not. His face shape seems very cartoony fox shaped/shiba inu-ish which might be because how Inari foxes are being portrayed in Japan right now (They are really cute in a grossly disproportional plush sort of way.) To me he still looks very fox like in a cute way. I do not know if they will ever redesign him unless he gets a new game (Maybe a nice HD game on the WII U? One can dream.)

Kirby definitely looks amazingly cute as well in smash 4. He looks perfect in every way. A lot of the cuter characters are definitely getting a boost with this art style, but even characters like bowser look cleaner and more faithful to their games. He has nice dimensional texture to his scales. Little mac has nice solid muscle mass, and I am sure they will clean everything up before release. (You can see some improvements as time goes on in the daily pictures.)

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Mostly that Fox looks more like an actual fox. With the elongated Snout and everything. I personally think that each design has it's ups and downs. I like the Scouter and boots of the newer design myself, looks cool. But the Melee design does have a less awkward looking face.
I always thought fox had grey hair in the 64 days. Smash proved me wrong

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Assault Fox > 64 Fox
SSB4 Fox > Brawl Fox > Melee Fox > 64 Fox
It's quite simple.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Wow... everything is so.. vibrant. The Lighting is great too! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I've been doing model comparisons on the Smash Wiki on IGN. Here's Diddy Kong--

--you definitely see how washed out Brawl really was.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The colors definitely seems to make a large difference in how they look, yes they have improved textures and the like, but those more vibrant colors particular in HD makes a huge difference in how they look overall.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Look how vibrant that is.

Also, couldn't give less of a **** what Fox looks like. Personally I like his Star Fox Assault model the best.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I once made a picture showcasing the various models the characters had through the games in the Smash series. I think it is worth posting here for the sake of comparing the graphical upgrades (or downgrades). I just updated it a few minutes ago, the previous version didn't have Lucario and Diddy Kong on it. Anyway, here it is:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I once made a picture showcasing the various models the characters had through the games in the Smash series. I think it is worth posting here for the sake of comparing the graphical upgrades (or downgrades). I just updated it a few minutes ago, the previous version didn't have Lucario and Diddy Kong on it. Anyway, here it is:
I like how you included the 3DS version.
May I ask what image hoster you used? I had to break mine apart to upload it. Although, yours could just be smaller I suppose.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I would just like to point out that

WTF Sakurai

Diddy Kong has sewing on his hat.

But doesn't have any below?

And yet he does on 3DS?

That's weird Sakurai.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Am I the only one who think's SSB4's designs for Fox, Sonic, Samus, etc. look AMAZING and MUCH better than before?
Of course I am, what kind of stupid question is that?

Reila

I think the most notable improvement is in Donkey Kong's models. He looked like the child of the devil in SSB4 and derp as **** in Melee. In Brawl his model was good, the problem is that Brawl's washed out colors makes everything look worse than they otherwise would. Now in SSB4U he looks simply amazing. Dat fur. <3

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
I hate when people talk about Brawl wasn't very good. Brawl was a very good game. If you like the Smash Bros Series, then you should like every game in it.

Reila

I hate when people talk about Brawl wasn't very good. Brawl was a very good game. If you like the Smash Bros Series, then you should like every game in it.
Are you saying that because I criticized Brawl's art style? If so, don't get me wrong, I love Brawl almost as much as Melee and 64. Doesn't mean I like everything about the game. The art style and the slowness are two things I don't like in Brawl that much. Also, I disagree with the statement "If you like the series, then you should like every game in it". That is not how it works. See, I love Pokémon, but I just can't bring myself to care about any generation besides Gens 1, 4 and maybe 6 a bit. I love Metroid, but I hate Metroid Other M. Etc...

GamerTimeUS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WinningAlex13
Are you saying that because I criticized Brawl's art style? If so, don't get me wrong, I love Brawl almost as much as Melee and 64. Doesn't mean I like everything about the game. The art style and the slowness are two things I don't like in Brawl that much. Also, I disagree with the statement "If you like the series, then you should like every game in it". That is not how it works. See, I love Pokémon, but I just can't bring myself to care about any generation besides Gens 1, 4 and maybe 6 a bit. I love Metroid, but I hate Metroid Other M. Etc...
Well every game in he series was good. I thought you didn't like it as a whole game together :p

#Chrom4Smash

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I like it a lot, but Young Link and Toon Link are not the same character. He shouldn't be grouped with Toon Link's comparisons.

Reila

I like it a lot, but Young Link and Toon Link are not the same character. He shouldn't be grouped with Toon Link's comparisons.
Adult Link from Brawl isn't the same Adult Link from Melee either. In the end, it is quite clear that Toon Link replaced Young Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh in a sense, Toon Link is as much of a redesign from Young Link as the Twilight Princess designs of Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf are from their Ocarina of Time counterparts. The only reason Toon Link got a name change I assume is because it would no longer make sense to refer to him as the younger aged version of the default Link as he's a completely different character.

Though even with that said. Toon Link is still considered a Brawl newcomer and a replacement of Young Link despite that the Twilight Princess counterparts of the others aren't.

I think you can just refer to them as the child Link I suppose....

Top Bottom