• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 vs Brawl graphics comparison

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, everyone's lookin' amazing in HD (especially Link :3). I must say though, looking at that picture, I'm impressed at how nice Melee still looks. It's aged pretty well all things considered.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Y'know.... I don't mind the Other M suit itself. It's not bad. But the Other M Morph ball looks ridiculous...
I really don't mind the suit either. In fact it's actually pretty good looking. I just prefer previous version.

Either way I'm sure most people agree that:
SSB4's graphics> Brawl graphics
Really looking forward to seeing Captain Falcon and Falco (if they're back).

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I love how much DK looks like DK in this game.

In 64, well... graphics weren't that good. In Melee he looked really strange.
In Brawl he looked pretty good! But now he looks even better, crazy. o_O

I wish he would look like that in Tropical Freeze too, lol.
Tbh, I prefer the fur shadings of Tropical Freeze.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Note that Brawl's graphics were supposed to be better, but it gave Sakurai and is team technical difficulties. As a result, the graphics were down scaled to keep the frame rate in check; just thought I had to say that.

Jp3

Smash Rookie
The graphics are for sure better, but thats more of a resolution and particle thing. I personally think the textures are worse in Smash 4, but the colours are nice. Added with the new HD resolutions and Particle effects it'll still look fine.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Smash 4 looks better softer on the eyes much more appealing it isn't finished i'm sure it will be looking better at the end.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
with just the screen shots and the little gameplay we have seen. Smash wii-u already looks 3 times as better than brawl did. No comparison

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The graphics do look like a huge improvement when put side-to-side on certain characters (especially Donkey Kong and Link). Although I was never blown away by the graphics like I was hoping to be. (right after seeing Mario Kart 8's amazing graphics, you have to understand). Like not even the character models, but the stages also leave much to be desired (like the textures in the SS stage are really poor compared to the textures of the characters, I remember this being obvious in one screenshot at least).

I don't want to be all down on it, though. I do like the overall decisions with the designs of the characters. Instead of being strictly designed like the most recent games they have been released in, some freedom has been taken in their designs and helps give off a more general representation of the characters... At least in my eyes. Maybe I'm crazy.

I really like the looks of Mario and Bowser in this game. I don't want to say that I disliked their designs in Melee/Brawl (I didn't, at all!), but I like how in this game their detailing is more akin to their own game appearances. For example, Mario's overalls are less detailed, as in his game appearances.

Overall, I think this direction in the character designs is very welcome and I'm happy about it. Although currently I may not love the graphics altogether, that could definitely change once I have it on my TV.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
What I really like are the changes to Bowser, he is finally himself in my opinion, standing up-right and the colour scheme. I just REALLY hope that his voice changes to be more like it is in the actual Mario series, and seeing as they're really trying to capture the true Bowser this time around, I'm hopeful.

That's not to say I don't like the others of course, everyone is looking fantastic, ranging from Link's detail to King Dedede's expressiveness to Donkey Kong's fur to Mario's brighter look. However, Bowser really stood out for me.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The graphics do look like a huge improvement when put side-to-side on certain characters (especially Donkey Kong and Link). Although I was never blown away by the graphics like I was hoping to be. (right after seeing Mario Kart 8's amazing graphics, you have to understand). Like not even the character models, but the stages also leave much to be desired (like the textures in the SS stage are really poor compared to the textures of the characters, I remember this being obvious in one screenshot at least).

I don't want to be all down on it, though. I do like the overall decisions with the designs of the characters. Instead of being strictly designed like the most recent games they have been released in, some freedom has been taken in their designs and helps give off a more general representation of the characters... At least in my eyes. Maybe I'm crazy.

I really like the looks of Mario and Bowser in this game. I don't want to say that I disliked their designs in Melee/Brawl (I didn't, at all!), but I like how in this game their detailing is more akin to their own game appearances. For example, Mario's overalls are less detailed, as in his game appearances.

Overall, I think this direction in the character designs is very welcome and I'm happy about it. Although currently I may not love the graphics altogether, that could definitely change once I have it on my TV.
I believe the deal with the Skyward Sword stage is the fact that it's reusing assets from the original game. The same might be with the Pikmin 3 stage too, but since it's current gen, it's not as noticeable.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Only thing I miss about Melee's character models is Fox. Melee Fox looks 10x better than Brawl/Smash 4's Fox.

Probably gonna be the same for Falco as well.
I can kinda see why people like Melee Fox more than Brawl, but I will never understand how they prefer Melee Falco. Like seriously, nostalgia aside, it looks terrible and awful when next to Brawl Falco. The only thing I miss about Melee Falco is that oh so sexy sky blue jacket.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A lot of characters like Link, Samus, and Donkey Kong do look better. Though I kind of agree with the dude above me, I would like Mario's overalls to still have some more detail to it. But I can still appreciate some more classic looking versions of characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So why do people prefer Melee fox? I find him kind of creepy looking...
Mostly that Fox looks more like an actual fox. With the elongated Snout and everything. I personally think that each design has it's ups and downs. I like the Scouter and boots of the newer design myself, looks cool. But the Melee design does have a less awkward looking face.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I can kinda see why people like Melee Fox more than Brawl, but I will never understand how they prefer Melee Falco. Like seriously, nostalgia aside, it looks terrible and awful when next to Brawl Falco. The only thing I miss about Melee Falco is that oh so sexy sky blue jacket.
Falco looks a millions times better in Brawl than he did in Melee
Fox looks a millions times worse.

So I agree with you.

Daedra

vibing
Brawl graphics and Smash 4 graphics are both good, but the Brawl graphics seem more serious while Smash 4's graphics kinda go for the smoother, cleaner look.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Only thing I miss about Melee's character models is Fox. Melee Fox looks 10x better than Brawl/Smash 4's Fox.

Probably gonna be the same for Falco as well.
I think it's partially because Star Fox 64 was the last game to matter.

Simplicity works.

The 64 designs are much better though they look like pilots and they don't have that weird wrap around fur at the back of their heads.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I took the liberty of updating Curmudgeon's original comparisons:

Smash 64 Vets:

Melee Vets:

Brawl Vets:

Assist Vets:

Credit to Curmudgeon for the idea, layout and time he spent on the original image, of course.

Thing to note:
-Luigi is the only member of the original 12 to be announced after E3.
-Marth is getting hotter.
-Zelda is getting tougher.
-Peach's hair seems shorter.
-Sonic has looks more like his classic appearance.
-Toon Link also looks great in the new color palette, looking more like his WW self and he's even more expressive.
-Dedede looks great in the new colors and is expressive in a way that fits his character better.
-Olimar has seen little change. Added a whistle to his suit, but his Pikmin look much better.
-Lucario's eyes look alive now.
-Starfy looks better and unfortunately stayed an assist.
-Little Mac seriously bulked up for his new playable role.

Overall trends:
-Less emphasis on detail and more emphasis on simplicity.
-Coloring is brighter and more reminiscent of the general tone of Nintendo games.
-Characters no longer have poker faces and actually emote this time around.

On a side note, these were all originally one image, but the hosting sites said they were too large. Does anyone know of an image hoster with no size limits? Or at least larger ones?

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
-Sonic has benefited greatly from SSB4's brighter color palette, looking more like his classic appearance.
This is exactly why I DON'T like Sonic's look in Smash 4. He shouldn't look like his classic appearance at all. He's Modern Sonic. He should look like Modern Sonic. It's bad enough that his shade of blue was off in Brawl, being far too light, but now it's off even more than before.

That, and the fact that I prefer Sonic's modern style during the SA2 and Heroes days when he was a more deep blue and his mouth wasn't so strangely off to the side. I preferred it in the middle. The only times the mouth looked off in the middle was in SA1 and 06 and that's just those models weren't the greatest in the world. Also, I don't like how his model looks like it's made of clay or something. His mouth seems to always be too small and it makes it look very awkward whenever he grins.

But that's all my opinions as a Sonic fan. At the absolute least, he does manage to fit in with the rest of the cast in the new art style.

Too bad he's going to suck to play as since Sakurai can't get it through his head the the Sonic the Fighters moveset isn't a good one at all. Honestly, someone needs to give him a copy of Sonic Battle for the GBA. >_>

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, I prefer classic Sonic games. So it's fine to me. But I see where you're coming from.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I agree with Wave Kusanagi in that I actually really liked Sonic's model in Brawl and found it a very nice take on the character. Never was a fan of the Pixar-like Unleashed-onward design for Sonic. The Brawl model is probably the closest thing to the Sonic Adventure 2 design we've seen, and that's my favorite design for the hedgehog so far. From a purely graphical standpoint, Smash 4's Sonic is obviously superior, but in other areas, I consider it a downgrade. But that's just my personal opinion.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well, I prefer classic Sonic games. So it's fine to me. But I see where you're coming from.
3&K is the only actually good (read perfect) classic game in my opinion, but that's not what my point is.

Classic Sonic should look like Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic should look like Modern Sonic.

Don't mesh the two together. It's vexing.

That's what I'm saying.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I really don't mind new Samus. Looks sleeker/higher tech. I would like it if they conveyed through audio that Samus is essentially a living tank.

Overall I think a crisp, cleaner look is the right direction. Especially since they're making the effects really pop.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I took the liberty of updating Curmudgeon's original comparisons:

Smash 64 Vets:

Melee Vets:

Brawl Vets:

Assist Vets:

Credit to Curmudgeon for the idea, layout and time he spent on the original image, of course.

Thing to note:
-Luigi is the only member of the original 12 to be announced after E3.
-Marth is getting hotter.
-Zelda is getting tougher.
-Peach's hair seems shorter.
-Sonic has looks more like his classic appearance.
-Toon Link also looks great in the new color palette, looking more like his WW self and he's even more expressive.
-Dedede looks great in the new colors and is expressive in a way that fits his character better.
-Olimar has seen little change. Added a whistle to his suit, but his Pikmin look much better.
-Lucario's eyes look alive now.
-Starfy looks better and unfortunately stayed an assist.
-Little Mac seriously bulked up for his new playable role.

Overall trends:
-Less emphasis on detail and more emphasis on simplicity.
-Coloring is brighter and more reminiscent of the general tone of Nintendo games.
-Characters no longer have poker faces and actually emote this time around.

On a side note, these were all originally one image, but the hosting sites said they were too large. Does anyone know of an image hoster with no size limits? Or at least larger ones?
The Smash 64 vets and Melee vets pics are broken.

Can you fix that? I want to see. :p

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I do think it was an interesting design choice to have sonic's mouth be a flat texture; still it looks much more natural than brawl's model.

Last edited:

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
in this side by side comparison i must say i prefer the brawl ones over smash 4 which i actually disnt expect happening.

Shudouken

Smash Rookie
Good thing I saved all the HD pictures from the Nintendo E3 publisher's site
The graphic is way better than sakurai shows us with the pic of the day

Top Bottom