• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Spare me that "it's fun to speculate" nonsense. You would get all the excitement of seeing the roster in one swoop. Why do a little meth over a few days when you can do it all at once?
Because then what's the point? There's nothing else to talk about...

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Why do people say Brawl's roster was disappointing? Brawl gave us massively requested characters like Pit, Wario, Diddy, Olimar, Metaknight, Dedede and Sonic? (I know I'm in the minority, but I even wanted R.O.B.)

People are going to whine regardless.

I keep telling folks, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you think we're getting anywhere near 50 characters. Even 48 is more than I expect.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I think y'all are misreading that. Looking at the quote again:

Now, the user's (leroidys I believe) friend telling him all this didn't say "there are only 1-2 more unannounced newcomers in general", that just what leroidys for some reason assumed. What I think his friend was saying was that there were a few more newcomers they wanted to show at E3 but didn't, and, looking at salromano's 'leak' above, I think we might know who they were. I'm fairly certain we won't get a pitifully small amount of newcomers.
I'm fairly certain that this is the information we needed to verify the Salromano leak. First, because it's a 5-year member of Neogaf, we know that he's not some troll, pulling this out his ass for kicks like the Gamefaqs kids.

With the story leroidys' friend told him, it seems pretty clear that the source of Salromano's prediction/leak also played this E3 build and assumed, rightly so, that all of the newcomers in it would have been revealed at E3, since that was the version we actually saw played (albeit for one short match).

My assumption is that the plan was to reveal all 6 of the newcomers at E3. This would make sense and continue the pattern (Melee-4, Brawl-5, U/3D-6). However, I'd imagine executive meddling may have gotten Little Mac, Pacman, and Mii held back for marketing (or other unknown) reasons.

Or this is all just a complete hoax perpetrated by people who just don't give a ****. Who knows.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why do people say Brawl's roster was disappointing? Brawl gave us massively requested characters like Pit, Wario, Diddy, Olimar, Metaknight, Dedede and Sonic? (I know I'm in the minority, but I even wanted R.O.B.)

I keep telling folks, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you think we're getting anywhere near 50 characters. Even 48 is more than I expect.
Because people don't care about them, all they care about is if they're favorite characters are in (which is why so many people hated ROB when he was revealed).

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Exactly! We would already know everything we want to know so we could do something productive instead of lurking for scraps of Smash Bros information. =3
How? I think the best time to reveal the entire roster, is when people actually have the game. Because then we have something. If Sakurai revealed the roster now, then all we have would just have the characters. And what's the point. Fine, It may bring massive hype at first, but then what's next after that? Nothing. And then the hype starts to die down...

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

I honestly think we are going to get 48 or so. No more than 50. But on regards to the Brawl Roster, I found it great. People complain due to not getting their precious Roy or Mewtwo (Which I like).

Welshy91

Smash Ace
How? I think the best time to reveal the entire roster, is when people actually have the game. Because then we have something. If Sakurai revealed the roster now, then all we have would just have the characters. And what's the point. Fine, It may bring massive hype at first, but then what's next after that? Nothing. And then the hype starts to die down...
It's not like people are gonna say "oh wow, I'm not feeling very hyped about this game now that I've seen the roster, I don't even want it anymore".

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
It's not like people are gonna say "oh wow, I'm not feeling very hyped about this game now that I've seen the roster, I don't even want it anymore".
A huge component in the smash series is to unlock all of the characters. Kinda ruins the element of suprise in that feature if you just reveal everyone all at once.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
People will no doubt still buy the game regardless, but the element of at least some surprise always makes a game a bit more exciting to some people.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not saying that, but let me ask you. Let's say Sakurai did reveal the entire roster. Well, what's next? How about after a week? Maybe two?
Wouldn't it be better to keep the hype steady, instead of maxing it out with nothing to compare?

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm not saying that, but let me ask you. Let's say Sakurai did reveal the entire roster. Well, what's next? How about after a week? Maybe two?
Wouldn't it be better to keep the hype steady, instead of maxing it out with nothing to compare?
No. My hype for the game wouldn't wane because I would know that the characters I want are definitely in the game. I'm all for unlockable characters though.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
No. My hype for the game wouldn't wane because I would know that the characters I want are definitely in the game. I'm all for unlockable characters though.
Ok, your hype. What about the others, I'm sure many people here are perfectly fine with how it's been.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Ok, your hype. What about the others, I'm sure many people here are perfectly fine with how it's been.
Ask Toad, Ashley, and Skull Kid supporters how happy they are with how things panned out. They woke up every morning praying for good news and one terrible day, their smash dreams were crushed in a single stroke. I'm sure they wish their dreams were dashed from the start instead of being teased along.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Ask Toad, Ashley, and Skull Kid supporters how happy they are with how things panned out. They woke up every morning praying for good news and one terrible day, their smash dreams were crushed in a single stroke. I'm sure they wish their dreams were dashed from the start instead of being teased along.
And if the roster is revealed, every supporter's dream gets crushed all at once!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
There's two sides of the spectrum, however. What about people like me who were worried if a certain character would make it in and wake up one morning to see their favorite character dominating pic of the day with a new character page? That feeling when I saw Toon link and Marth was more than worth the wait and worry. Not to mention those people with their "dreams crushed" should be grateful that those characters are even acknowledged with 3d models.

Exactly! This man gets it. All the disappointment would also hit you at once so you can already be over it when the game comes out, instead of hoping and praying that the character you want is in and then finding out they've been excluded once the game is in your hands.
With brawl, i was a bit too excited that i had the game and completed it to be disappointed from no mewtwo or roy

Welshy91

Smash Ace
And if the roster is revealed, every supporter's dream gets crushed all at once!
Exactly! This man gets it. All the disappointment would also hit you at once so you can already be over it when the game comes out, instead of hoping and praying that the character you want is in and then finding out they've been excluded once the game is in your hands.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So hey, let's take everyone down with them.
Okay, 'bout time I asked. Why are you so against periodically revealing the roster? What's so bad about Sakurai keeping some of the roster secret?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Admittedly, I was a tad bummed over the Skull Kid, but an Assist Trophy presence is better than no presence, same goes for Ashley really. Toad fans may be a bit annoyed that he's a meat shield once again, but it could have arguably been expected. Plus, nobody said the Blue Toad couldn't make an appearance (highly doubtful, but the possibility lurks).

Some people enjoy speculating over the game's contents, obviously you aren't this type of person, which is fine.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
So hey, let's take everyone down with them.
Okay, 'bout time I asked. Why are you so against periodically revealing the roster? What's so bad about Sakurai keeping some of the roster secret?
I'm not against some of the roster being secret, but I would prefer he just reveal everything he's going to and spare us the wait.
Oh, and I hate waiting. I'm ok with getting all the good and bad at once, it would be better than waiting just to be disappointed.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm not against some of the roster being secret, but I would prefer he just reveal everything he's going to and spare us the wait.
Oh, and I hate waiting. I'm ok with getting all the good and bad at once, it would be better than waiting just to be disappointed.
Once again, your preference =/= everyone else's.
Besides, there's other information besides characters. It's not like he's been keeping us in the dark.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Revealing stuff periodically instead of revealing everything in one go means the game gets more talk over time instead of just fading away until release. This has multiple upsides, like Nintendo Directs getting more attention, more press attention, getting people talking about it and possibly spreading the news, etc.

Plus, there's the fact that there's a bunch of stuff that's still not ready for showcasing I'm sure, which would mean that if they were to show everything in one go the game likely wouldn't even have a trailer yet, so there's that.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
But you asked why I was personally against periodic leaks. I doubt I'm alone though, I can't be the only impatient person on the internet.
I get impatient over things like this too, but I think a better solution would be an online beta rathar than revealing the entire roster. Infact, I think revealing the entire roster would get me more impatient than otherwise.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Revealing stuff periodically instead of revealing everything in one go means the game gets more talk over time instead of just fading away until release. This has multiple upsides, like Nintendo Directs getting more attention, more press attention, getting people talking about it and possibly spreading the news, etc.

Plus, there's the fact that there's a bunch of stuff that's still not ready for showcasing I'm sure, which would mean that if they were to show everything in one go the game likely wouldn't even have a trailer yet, so there's that.
I can see not wanting to reveal something that isn't set in stone. Can you imagine the rage that would follow if something that was initially said to be incorporated were to be removed

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The tradition with the games it seems, its to include at least almost half of the roster as newcomers.

Melee had: 13 (of 25)
Brawl had: 15 (of 35)

So I'm just guessing that SSB4 will have maybe 15 to 17 newcomers out of 45 to 50 characters.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
The tradition with the games it seems, its to include at least almost half of the roster as newcomers.

So I'm just guessing that SSB4 will have maybe 15 to 17 newcomers out of 45 to 50 characters.
I hope, that'd be sweet. I'm personally only expecting like 10-12 newcomers.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729

Sakurai mentioned that 4 won't focus as much on newcomers. I'm honestly expecting around 10 newcomers at the most

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I understand, but judging from his posts, this "friend" has to at least have some access to the games. So I'm assuming playtester.
But even if this turns out to be true, it still sounds stupid for Sakurai to "ban" Kirby because of some gimmick.
It's like a director not giving the editors the ending because it will "spoil the twist".
I assume it was because of kirby hats

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Brawl had 18 newcomers out of 39 characters in total though. Remember that Sakurai considers transformations to be their own characters (Which makes sense, considering even though the PT's Pokemon and ZSS don't have their own 'slots', they still took as much time as making every other character). Similarly, Melee had 14/26, counting Sheik.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Ok, how about we say each game so far got around 15 newcomers (sound good everyone?). This time Sakurai said newcomers weren't as big of a priority (or something like that), but I think he means they won't make cloned newcomers for the sake of there being newcomers. So we can expect a couple characters less than usual, but none of them will be clones.

Opinions?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
take psasbr for example, the entire roster leaked almost half a year before the game was released, it totally killed the hype and exp major disappointment when ppl realized that was it. The roster may not had so much backlash if it treakled out slowly. If I knew the roster now I defiantly would not leak the full roster on the internet because I would not want to kill Nintendo plan to hype the game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel like if there's only really 10 new characters in total, that'd be kind of a problem, because combining the six leaked E3 characters from salromano's post and Rosalina, that'd would mean there's only three other characters left we don't know about, and we already know 70% of the new characters.

Considering Little Mac, Pac-Man, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer and Mii were all probably going to be shown last year, it'd be bizarre to why Nintendo was about to blow their load like that.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Ok, how about we say each game so far got around 15 newcomers (sound good everyone?). This time Sakurai said newcomers weren't as big of a priority (or something like that), but I think he means they won't make cloned newcomers for the sake of there being newcomers. So we can expect a couple characters less than usual, but none of them will be clones.

Opinions?
hmm. Say that the following are newcomers:
*The 4 already revealed
*Plus the other 3 meant to be revealed at E3
That already leaves 7 (WFT, Villager, Megaman, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pacman)
That leaves 8 left unknown, here's what I'm guessing for said 5:
*5th rep for pokemon, unless Mewtwo returns and doesn't replace anyone
*5th rep for Zelda
*2nd rep for Kid Icarus (most likely Palutena)
*3rd rep for Fire Emblem
*2nd rep for Metroid (counting Samus/ZS Samus as the same rep)
*Rep for Xenoblade
*2 reps for retro characters, maybe a rep for Wonderful 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom