• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hanufada kids made that. Also, "relevancy" bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Sakurai doesn't care. Why is it a place between six years old, and twenty is "not relevant" but somehow "retros" are?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Guess I'll start from the top.

First, the only cuts are Snake (due to issues with Konami), and Lucario and Ike, due to lacking "relevancy" when the character roster was being formed.
I'm curious what those issues with Konami would be, unless they're really silly they wouldn't pass up a chance at free advertisement regardless of their current relationship with Nintendo. As for the second part...

Even assuming that the roster was built early on, Lucario was already back in the marketing game as soon as B2W2, getting a role in the anime, merchandise, replacing Zoroark for his original position and stationed in an early area, the character was pretty back on the scene even during the early stages of the game's hype. Even if he came before, GF would've told him their plans. He especially wasn't irrelevant for XY as GF pushed him heavily alongside their new Mega Evolution mechanic and he still remains on the forefront currently looking forward to merchandise, a semi-important game role and an anime appearance, so "relevancy" doesn't fly with him. To top it off, he gets replaced by Genesect? Who's not only getting picked over Zoroark (who at least was pushed greatly during Gen 5 even if it petered out), but is even more irrelevant then him in the grand scheme of things. GF isn't pushing the character anymore then they would another event Pokémon and he starred alongside the more popular Mewtwo who has still been seen in other promotions for XY whereas Genesect's nowhere to be found. I can't see GF throwing out Lucario for Genesect.

For Ike, he was promoted via his descendant Priam, something that no other character aside from Marth got. Also, he got DLC and was the final one of the original set, so that doesn't really work with him either. Honestly, the whole "relevancy" bit falls flat.

Newcomers are Villager, WFT, Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Medusa, Mewtwo, Genesect, Mach Rider, Chrom, and a new original character named "Master Hanafuda". Little Mac will be the next newcomer to be revealed, but I am not sure when, but in a soon-to-be Nintendo Direct.
Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii are expected anyway (whether because of the 'leak' or not) so I'll ignore them, same with Chrom and Mewtwo. As for the rest, I could see Medusa sneaking in ahead of Palutena since she's a villain with her own tricks but considering how she was thrown aside so quickly in Uprising I'm not too sure Sakurai would do that and Mach Rider could work as Sakurai has revisited characters before so nothing more to say there.

That brings us to "Master Hanafuda," it's... plausible I guess but completely random even compared to other characters we've gotten. At least with the others like ROB or Mr. Game and Watch their ties to Nintendo were strong, Master Hanafuda even assuming that Nintendo made cards for them doesn't seem to have that strong a tie.

Last edited:

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Guess I'll start from the top.

I'm curious what those issues with Konami would be, unless they're really silly they wouldn't pass up a chance at free advertisement regardless of their current relationship with Nintendo. As for the second part...

Even assuming that the roster was built early on, Lucario was already back in the marketing game as soon as B2W2, getting a role in the anime, merchandise, replacing Zoroark for his original position and stationed in an early area, the character was pretty back on the scene. Even if say Sakurai came beforehand, GF would probably tell him what they were planning. He especially wasn't irrelevant for XY as GF pushed him heavily alongside their new Mega Evolution mechanic and he still remains on the forefront currently, so "relevancy" doesn't fly with him. To top it off, he gets replaced by Genesect? Who's not only getting picked over Zoroark (who at least was pushed greatly), but is even more irrelevant then him.

For Ike, he was promoted via his descendant Priam, something that no other character aside from Marth got, so that doesn't work with him either. Honestly, the whole "relevancy" bit falls flat.

Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii are expected anyway (whether because of the 'leak' or not) so I'll ignore them, same with Chrom and Mewtwo. As for the rest, I could see Medusa sneaking in ahead of Palutena since she's a villain with her own tricks but considering how she was thrown aside so quickly in Uprising I'm not too sure Sakurai would do that, Genesect doesn't really make sense as it's more "irrelevant" then Lucario, particularly towards XY's release and I can't see GF throwing him aside for a character that really isn't being pushed nearly as much, and Mach Rider could work as Sakurai has revisited characters before so nothing more to say there.

That brings us to "Master Hanafuda," it's... plausible I guess but completely random even compared to other characters we've gotten. At least with the others like ROB or Mr. Game and Watch their ties to Nintendo were strong, Master Hanafuda even assuming that Nintendo made cards for them doesn't seem to have that strong a tie.
All I can think of is MGS: Ground Zeroes not coming out on Wii U. Otherwise, all your other points are excellent.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
now I am worried about the haufauda or whatever leak, I remember brawl the right leak was the disappointing one

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Being disappointing doesn't automatically make it right though, you can just as easily make a roster with expected changes and disappointing ones and it could still sound plausible. This one could be no different in that regard and really, it's not unlike previous rumors where we had similar changes/omissions happen.

Plus, Brawl's roster was still well made with examples like Wario, King Dedede and Diddy Kong there. It had some disappointing omissions, but it wasn't disappointing overall.

All I can think of is MGS: Ground Zeroes not coming out on Wii U. Otherwise, all your other points are excellent.
Yeah, but that isn't different from what happened before Brawl. Unless Konami and Nintendo have some bad blood between them that's not public I can't see them giving Sakurai that much trouble, particularly with Kojima there.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if the neogaf rumor is true ( I kind of believe him) then we might only get a few newcomers, what do you all think about that

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
if the neogaf rumor is true ( I kind of believe him) then we might only get a few newcomers, what do you all think about that
What exactly is this rumor about>?

Edit: I saw the rumor/

Doesn't sound very believable at all

Despite for me actually wanting those 3 cut

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Despite for me actually wanting those 3 cut
Wrong rumor.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but this on GAF claims he is friends with a Nintendo employee that played the E3 build and heard some unannounced characters that will be in the game, GAF is strict with their moderation and he had an account for 5 years, so he seems like the real deal.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97626464&postcount=9577

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97627013&postcount=9583

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97627697&postcount=9587

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is this rumor about>?
A leaker said his friend works at Nintendo and got to playtest the game. The friend refused to say specifics, but only a few newcomers haven't been revealed rather than the six+ people are expecting. He also said that Kirby wasn't allowed to be picked for some reason. Although if this were to be true, other characters could have simply not been in the playable demo.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly, how many more newcomers are people expecting?

There probably is a reason they only revealed 3 newcomers at E3

As opposed to what they did in Brawl

Staarih

Smash Master
I personally don't believe any rumors just yet, there's so many, unreliable ones going around (apparently). But I think it was stated somewhere that we won't get as many newcomers this time so I haven't really expected many of them anyway - and thus I wouldn't be surprised if everything eventually went along the lines of that rumor.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman

You might be right, I think I remember Sakurai saying at some point that he would have to limit the roster in favor of balance. But like everyone else, I'm hoping he can find a way to squeeze in Ridley and K. Rool. haha

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So, this most recent leak that claims to represent the full roster I feel is setting me up for disappointment. It's probably false, but no real roster could possibly be so awesome as one including Master Hanafuda or a similar character.

Further confirmation that spring is that target release time is nice, and it makes sense too. Nintendo needs to get those games out, and after DK: TF in Feb, and we are getting Mario Kart sometime in the spring. Hyrule Warriors is Q2 in Japan and might be a first half of the year game worldwide too. Throwing smash in makes the first half of the year pretty strong for Nintendo on Wii U game releases (which they need badly now), and that still saves Zelda U, X, SMT x Fire Emblem, and Yarn Yoshi for the bottom half of the year.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
So, this most recent leak that claims to represent the full roster I feel is setting me up for disappointment. It's probably false, but no real roster could possibly be so awesome as one including Master Hanafuda or a similar character.

Further confirmation that spring is that target release time is nice, and it makes sense too. Nintendo needs to get those games out, and after DK: TF in Feb, and we are getting Mario Kart sometime in the spring. Hyrule Warriors is Q2 in Japan and might be a first half of the year game worldwide too. Throwing smash in makes the first half of the year pretty strong for Nintendo on Wii U game releases (which they need badly now), and that still saves Zelda U, X, SMT x Fire Emblem, and Yarn Yoshi for the bottom half of the year.
This is why I believe Snake will be cut. Nintendo can't afford to promote games on the other consoles, and since MGSV: Ground Zero is coming out on the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4, Snake will most likely be cut

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
Mmmm...But didn't Brawl have MGS4 content ?
Brawl was on the Wii, which had more sales than the Xbox 360 or PS3. The Wii U flopped tremendously, having less sales than the Xbox One or PS4. Konami isn't really supporting Nintendo this time around. Also, Kojima begged to get Snake in Super Smash Bros Melee, which was around the time Metal Gear Solid (Game Boy)/Metal Gear: Ghost Babel was released. However, since Melee was too far in development, Snake could not be added.
Not sure if this makes a difference, but MSG4 was only for the PS3. MGSV is for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Brawl was on the Wii, which had more sales than the Xbox 360 or PS3. The Wii U flopped tremendously, having less sales than the Xbox One or PS4. Konami isn't really supporting Nintendo this time around. Also, Kojima begged to get Snake in Super Smash Bros Melee, which was around the time Metal Gear Solid (Game Boy)/Metal Gear: Ghost Babel was released. However, since Melee was too far in development, Snake could not be added.
Not sure if this makes a difference, but MSG4 was only for the PS3. MGSV is for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4.
just going to throw out there that the wiiu sold more than the ps4 and xbox1 during the holidays

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
He didn't say anything about his friend being a play tester. This guy is believable. Best just to keep an eye on what he posts.
I understand, but judging from his posts, this "friend" has to at least have some access to the games. So I'm assuming playtester.
But even if this turns out to be true, it still sounds stupid for Sakurai to "ban" Kirby because of some gimmick.
It's like a director not giving the editors the ending because it will "spoil the twist".

Dinoman96

Smash Master
About the gaf poster saying, "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", that would make sense, actually.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996

I still hold the theory that all these characters were going to be announced at E3 last year, but due to some circumstances (Like, perhaps Nintendo seeing the leak themselves), Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii were held off to another day.

3 characters is only slightly less than Brawl's 5. And Nintendo most likely was planning to show off all the six above, so....

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
It makes sense that Kirby couldn't be playable, just remember that Kirby was one of the last characters to join Project:M because of the Kirby Hats.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I understand, but judging from his posts, this "friend" has to at least have some access to the games. So I'm assuming playtester.
But even if this turns out to be true, it still sounds stupid for Sakurai to "ban" Kirby because of some gimmick.
It's like a director not giving the editors the ending because it will "spoil the twist".
you know how kirby has the copy ability in smash well lets just assume that if he cant copy someones standard b it causes the build to need a hard reset(read unplug the system) why risk a crash when you can just say "hey guys dont play that character"

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
you know how kirby has the copy ability in smash well lets just assume that if he cant copy someones standard b it causes the build to need a hard reset(read unplug the system) why risk a crash when you can just say "hey guys dont play that character"
But this late? By this time, they would've already have finished the copy ability and then some...

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
One things I don't get about that rumor, if we're to expect less than 5 newcomers around. Why Rosalina? Why did they add a 5th Mario rep? I get that she is adding onto the femal playable characters, and is unique and all that jazz, but wouldn't it be a bigger priority to add characters who didn't have a series rep yet (Punch out, Xenoblade, etc), and even then, after those, how about the series who only have 1 character rep, and could really use a second (Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc)?

Plus, I really doubt that there's only 1 newcomer that Sakurai hasn't revealed yet.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
One things I don't get about that rumor, if we're to expect less than 5 newcomers around. Why Rosalina? Why did they add a 5th Mario rep? I get that she is adding onto the femal playable characters, and is unique and all that jazz, but wouldn't it be a bigger priority to add characters who didn't have a series rep yet (Punch out, Xenoblade, etc), and even then, after those, how about the series who only have 1 character rep, and could really use a second (Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc)?

Plus, I really doubt that there's only 1 newcomer that Sakurai hasn't revealed yet.
Same here, I understand this game would focus less on newcomers, but not to this degree...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think y'all are misreading that. Looking at the quote again:

"So I have some legitimate (non) news. I met up with a friend today who works at Nintendo, who has gotten to play smash bros. builds at various stages. They said they knew about "a ton" of unrevealed stuff, but they also said that there were "even a couple characters they didn't show [at E3]", which makes me think that there are more like 1 or 2 unannounced newcomers rather than 5 or 6.
Now, the user's (leroidys I believe) friend telling him all this didn't say "there are only 1-2 more unannounced newcomers in general", that just what leroidys for some reason assumed. What I think his friend was saying was that there were a few more newcomers they wanted to show at E3 but didn't, and, looking at salromano's 'leak' above, I think we might know who they were. I'm fairly certain we won't get a pitifully small amount of newcomers.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Now, the user's (leroidys I believe) friend telling him all this didn't say "there are only 1-2 more unannounced newcomers in general", that just what leroidys for some reason assumed. What I think his friend was saying was that there were a few more newcomers they wanted to show at E3 but didn't, and, looking at salromano's 'leak', I think we might know who they were. This info of what this 'leaker' is saying comes from an E3 build. I'm fairly certain we won't get a pitifully small amount of newcomers.
Ah...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not sure if this has been posted yet. If it has, my bad.

New leak from the NeoGAF. I dunno about this one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97630169&postcount=9607

First off, I do not know what Sakurai plans to update with for individual POTDs, as he does it as his own pace bar special examples like revealing characters to coincide with releases and Nintendo Directs.

Anyway, I have been talking to a source of mine who knows quite a bit about Smash 4, and has shared with me various details that I have compiled, some of this info is based on planned content and may not make it into the final cut, however, he believes that at this point in time everything is more or less set.

First, the only cuts are Snake (due to issues with Konami), and Lucario and Ike, due to lacking "relevancy" when the character roster was being formed.

Newcomers are Villager, WFT, Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Medusa, Mewtwo, Genesect, Mach Rider, Chrom, and a new original character named "Master Hanafuda". Little Mac will be the next newcomer to be revealed, but I am not sure when, but in a soon-to-be Nintendo Direct.

Rather than typing up the mass amount of info I've been given, instead I will answer questions asked about what is, or isn't, included in Smash. Believe me or not, but I shall provide answers regardless to any question.
Oooh.. a leak with a Hanafuda, things got seriously interesting. :grin:
I hope he meant Mr. Hanafuda.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Now, the user's (leroidys I believe) friend telling him all this didn't say "there are only 1-2 more unannounced newcomers in general", that just what leroidys for some reason assumed. What I think his friend was saying was that there were a few more newcomers they wanted to show at E3 but didn't, and, looking at salromano's 'leak' above, I think we might know who they were. I'm fairly certain we won't get a pitifully small amount of newcomers.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has been posted yet. If it has, my bad.

New leak from the NeoGAF. I dunno about this one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97630169&postcount=9607

First off, I do not know what Sakurai plans to update with for individual POTDs, as he does it as his own pace bar special examples like revealing characters to coincide with releases and Nintendo Directs.

Anyway, I have been talking to a source of mine who knows quite a bit about Smash 4, and has shared with me various details that I have compiled, some of this info is based on planned content and may not make it into the final cut, however, he believes that at this point in time everything is more or less set.

Rather than typing up the mass amount of info I've been given, instead I will answer questions asked about what is, or isn't, included in Smash. Believe me or not, but I shall provide answers regardless to any question.
No Donkey Kong newcomer? I would be very surprised if the roster were to have no newcomer for the DK franchise honestly. Genesect does not seem representative enough to me. Medusa would be nice and I would be fine if she were to get in instead of Palutena. The cuts sound possible at least. Still, I don't think he's right with all the newcomers. Chrom or Lucina are logical additions, so putting one of them in a rumor is nothing special. Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac are nothing that impossible neither. As I said already, Genesect seems to me at least to be a character less likely. There are better choices for another Pokémon. (->Zoroark)
This rumor after all does look like a good guess putting in most likely newcomers and some others too. The soon-to-be Nintendo Direct is also nothing more than a guess and we will see right away that no Little Mac will be revealed there and after the Nintendo Direct we can say this rumor was nothing more than a rumor.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Yeah, but it's like having an arranged marriage with a hot girl

Sure it's great, you didn't have to work for it
and got what you wanted
much less anxiety and hassle
but the waiting and finding the girl is the fun part ....

Wait idk if that comparison even makes sense.
Uh ...
What the ****

Spare me that "it's fun to speculate" nonsense. You would get all the excitement of seeing the roster in one swoop. Why do a little meth over a few days when you can do it all at once?
I love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom