• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Or an item.

There was one guy who mentioned the possibility of the Phantom being a controllable meatshield of sorts that you gain control over by attacking its back, with its slashes replacing a few of your character's moves.
One theory of mine is this.

All characters have One Exclusive Assist Trophy, fitting them well. Like, Zelda = Phantom. Luigi = Gadd. Samus = Da Babeh. And so on.
That doesn't explain Zelda's pose, but it would explain the more special Phantom.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Or an item.

There was one guy who mentioned the possibility of the Phantom being a controllable meatshield of sorts that you gain control over by attacking its back, with its slashes replacing a few of your character's moves.
That still raises questions, if it's an item why would it be more detailed than an assist trophy? Cool idea though.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That still raises questions, if it's an item why would it be more detailed than an assist trophy? Cool idea though.
Well, in that scenario, it'd be detailed because it's a specialty power-up, rather than one out of several dozen Nintendo Pokemon, so to speak.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So the two great mysteries: one intentional, one leaked/fake.

Phantom and Palutena.

At this rate we'll end up with Bash Sisters.
Smash 4 is clearly Super Bash Sisters. Sakurai hinted at it with Kid Icarus: Uprising and now he's adding more females. He's out for blood. ...not that kind of blood :facepalm:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The leak looks solid, there hasn't been a debunk yet, and we all know Sakurai loves to toot his own horn.
Okay. So there's no new revelation that's come out, just acceptance. Good. We just need an official reveal.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I can imagine Sakurai legendary troll status if he does the opposite of the general leaks like

Ridley - Stage Hazard
Palutena - Assist Trophy
Chrom - Assist Trophy
King K. Rool - Just a regular trophy
Takamaru - Just a regular trophy
Bowser Jr. - Just a trophy
Prince Sable - Sticker
Krystal - Non-existent in Sm4sh
Geno - Non-existent in Sm4sh
Mewtwo - Pokeball
Toad - Just a shield

Imagine the sh*t-storm....
I'd be surprised if some of those happened. Frankly Sakurai would have to be a jerk if he ignores fan wants like Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Dixie, etc.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Okay, I will not accept Toon Zelda's chances of being in SSB4. The last thing we need is another possible clone character.

Well Sakurai is sometimes very hard to predict, but imo 3 weeks with no character updates comes over to me that he is going to reveal something bigger then just 1 newcomer or Veteran in an April direct.... we still have tomorrow & next week for a random veteran reveal
I'd love for it to be like this, but then again we might just get a veteran tomorrow. Which can either be good or bad depending on who we get (Yoshi, anyone?).

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'd be surprised if some of those happened. Frankly Sakurai would have to be a jerk if he ignores fan wants like Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Dixie, etc.
I am 100% sure we'll get Mewtwo. 80% Ridley. 50% Dixie. 20% Kinky Rool. But that's just me.

Also, still 100% on the Palutena leak. ^^ Just wanna see her moveset now<3

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Okay, I will not accept Toon Zelda's chances of being in SSB4. The last thing we need is another possible clone character.

I'd love for it to be like this, but then again we might just get a veteran tomorrow. Which can either be good or bad depending on who we get (Yoshi, anyone?).
But Toon Zelda wouldn't be a clone- she'd be in the Phantom armor. She'd be a heavy swordswoman character. We don't have a heavy swordswoman.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If that Phantom really is Toon Zelda in that armor, then It might indicate that Sakurai would at least put some kind of effort with her.

Also, just saying. But do try to not quickly dismiss a leak just because it includes a character you don't like. Because that's kinda partly how people dismissed the legit Melee and Brawl roster leaks if I recall correctly.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like the idea of everyone having a special assist trophy that suits them and only them, but that's a lot of development time and some characters (especially the Pokemon) would be hard to pick who would be that special assist for them. It'd still be a nifty way to get some more characters in Smash Brothers that might not necessarily have all the requirements to be a full fledged fighter.

But then you'd end up with some cases in later installments where the logical assist people for those characters would seem like logical inclusions for the roster. Such as say Tails for Sonic.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Perhaps just Ridley and Mewtwo since they're both wanted the most
then Sakurai be like :troll:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I sure did enjoy how Dedede was planned for both 64 and Melee, before people like Diddy, Wario, or anyone from Fire Emblem.
Hey, he's been trying to get D3 in Smash Bros since 64.
I'm perfectly aware of that. However, Sakurai once explicitly said he didn't include more Kirby characters in Melee because he wanted to put other people's titles in front of his own.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

As for Meta Knight, when I left my previous company I never thought I'd be laying a hand on this character again, let alone on Smash Bros.

Kirby is a character I designed when I was 19 years old, but I created Meta Knight when I was 22. I knew the character was popular in Japan, but last time around I held off and didn't include him in the game. I wanted to put other people's titles ahead of my own.
I don't exactly think Sakurai is super eager to throw in his stuff in Smash as people like to believe.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm perfectly aware of that. However, Sakurai once explicitly said he didn't include more Kirby characters in Melee because he wanted to put other people's titles in front of his own.

I don't exactly think Sakurai is super eager to throw in his stuff in Smash as people like to believe.
Nah, he's just pretending to be humble. MK even got his own victory jingle that wasn't shared with Kirby or D3.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai is odd in regards to his own franchise. He has held back on including his own creations due to his humbleness, but whenever they do have their moments they're put on a giant pedestal like Kirby's big role in SSE for example, Kirby in Rosalina's trailer, Halberd's big role in SSE, Meta Knight's unique victory theme (though that's arguably because the regular Kirby jingle didn't fit at all), etc.

Because of this, I tend to just flat out ignore that Sakurai has had to do with KI's revival. Just like with everything else he does he's unpredictable in that manner. Not that it matters much anymore, I consider Palutena all but confirmed now.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

He said that about Meta Knight. He was more than prepared to give his series a veritable boatload of content and status in Smash all the way back in 64, including Dedede (which, for you Congressional Reps nuts, would result in Kirby having more "Reps" than Zelda).

People subconsciously recognize this man's bias even now, having called a Kid Icarus character a shoo-in ever since it was announced that he was directing Uprising. Had it been anyone else, Palutena or anyone else from that game wouldn't have gotten a fraction of the attention from speculators they have thus far.

Also, this is off-topic. Let's move this conversation elsewhere if it is to continue.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Nah, he's just pretending to be humble. MK even got his own victory jingle that wasn't shared with Kirby or D3.
....Not...really.

Keep in mind that every character was going to get their victory theme at some point in Brawl's development. MK's theme was most likely just a carry over from it.

And it does make sense why MK would have his own victory theme. Sakurai probably felt that the Disney-like, whimsical Kirby/DDD theme didn't really fit with MK's character. I don't really think he was being biased.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
....Not...really.

Keep in mind that every character was going to get their victory theme at some point in Brawl's development. MK's theme was most likely just a carry over from it.

And it does make sense why MK would have his own victory theme. Sakurai probably felt that the Disney-like, whimsical Kirby/DDD theme didn't really fit with MK's character. I don't really think he was being biased.
Well, not sure if the heroic Zelda's theme really fit Ganondorf :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've been talking on the Zelda boards and it's becoming more clear that the Phantom isn't a mere assist trophy.

1. It has more detailed textures than other assist trophies
2. Even with the fingers out of shot, it clearly has a higher poly count (Those embossed patterns bro!)
3. Besides from the lack of eye glow, it exactly matches Phantoms when Zelda possesses them. Basic Phantoms aren't pink unless she's in controll.

What does it mean? Sheik replacement or an early cameo of Toon Zelda?
I would laaauuuuggghhh if it was Toon Zelda.... That would be hilarious, showing off a character before the announcement.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
The Wii came out in 2006, where as Brawl came out in 2008.

Maybe they weren't sure if Miis were going to be a permanent thing for Nintendo, and wanted to see if it'd carry on to newer consoles first. Not only have they managed to do so, but they're also on handhelds now. Plus, with all the pretty much mandatory newcomers that Brawl included, they had enough on their hands already, a customizable character sure wouldn't have helped matters when Brawl's development already was fairly stressed.
Yeah, but they finalized the roster by then! They had a chance at the time, but Sakurai said the seemed too "gimmicky". They've had enough roles to change his mind by now IMO.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, but they finalized the roster by then! They had a chance at the time, but Sakurai said the seemed too "gimmicky". They've had enough roles to change his mind by now IMO.
It wasn't that he said "The Mii hasn't appeared enough or might never appear again, let's not add it," it was that he wanted to "take the game in a different direction" from what the Mii represented at its core, and still represents to this day. The Mii still has great odds thanks to Sal Romano, but its addition would involve a change of heart equal to if not greater than the one that resulted in Villager's addition.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
He single-handedly revived and redesigned the character and her franchise. He as good as created her, and her playability and Kid Icarus' impending overrepresentation in these games will reflect that.

Stay on topic.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Wait...since Tecmo-Koei is codeveloping Hyrule Warriors with Nintendo, is there a chance we could get a Dynasty Warriors character in Smash :surprised:?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Wait...since Tecmo-Koei is codeveloping Hyrule Warriors with Nintendo, is there a chance we could get a Dynasty Warriors character in Smash :surprised:?
Probably not, since IIRC 90% of the Warriors cast is based on real life people/historical figures?

Not sure what this has to do with rumours or leaks though. You should probably take this to the social or character threads.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I sure did enjoy how Dedede was planned for both 64 and Melee, before people like Diddy, Wario, or anyone from Fire Emblem.
and both times other characters took priority over his own sans Kirby (not to mention Marth and Roy made it into melee...) so I not sure what your point is.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would prefer that Takamaru takes that DW vibe in his moveset than to have a Dynasty Warrior playable. :p

Also anyone discussed this?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68837559
Ok, first off I know a lot of you won't believe me here as clearly you have no reason to. Let me just say that I have it on good faith that the information I have received from my source is legitimate. I don't know everything there is to know, but I know a fair amount.

There's some pretty juicy stuff here.
Mewtwo is back.
No one from Brawl has been cut yet, and there are no plans to cut anyone. Although some characters are considered "lower priority" so if time becomes an issue we may see one or two cuts.
Leading on from that, Pokemon Trainer is the same as he was in Brawl.
Pac Man is playable. Ms Pac Man is an Assist Trophy.
Palutena is also playable.
Ridley is also playable. His size in the game was described as "appropriate". Whatever that means.
Dixie Kong is playable, and plays NOTHING like Diddy.
Mew is a pokeball.
Isaac will return, but again as an Assist Trophy.
Mii's are in, there is a degree of customization to them although
Takamaru will serve as the "retro" themed character for this game.

There are also several characters that are still being considered to add "late in development", one was Toad, another was another DK character (I wasn't told who) although that clearly means that both could make it in, or neither.

Several characters will be getting alternate costumes, this includes both Dr Mario and Dr Luigi.

If I receive any more information then I'll let you all know. I must stress that these aren't the only new characters, but that was all I could get out of my source for now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hasn't Ms. Pac-Man been done away with?
By Namco, not Sakurai. I'm sure he won't settle for the kinda crap that the PSASBR people put up with when dealing with Dontay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom