• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Actually, it's the second-lowest grossing Pokémon movie in Japan after Heroes, I remember because the whole second Mewtwo thing was in full throttle back then and that data point came up. Here's an example of the other movies compared to the other movies of its generation:

Black and white: 4,076,078,300 yen (as of September 7th, 2011)
Kyurem: 3,419,166,100 (as of September 4th, 2012)
Genesect: 2,872,239,200 yen (as of August 27th, 2013)
Oh my bad I got that tidbit off Wikipidia. Well I still think we can get mewtwo in the least... I do wonder why they did cut him in brawl though, it's a wonder how jigglypuff has thrived through all these years. I never really liked her, but clearly there must be some fanbase, or sakurai just doesn't wanna cut one of the originals.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Back on topic everyone.

And no troll rosters. If they're not acceptable in the Character Discussion thread, they're certainly not acceptable in this thread.

Zynux

Smash Lord
That it was. That's why I figured it wasn't something showing off.
That it was. That's why I figured it wasn't something showing off.
My mind... it just imploded.

so far downhill this thread has gone.
Your post surely helped. Thanks for your contribution.

Anyways, as for Erenjaeger...he's the one that said that Palutena was an assist trophy, right? (At the very least, he heard it from someone else at this so called demo convention?)

This makes me realize, with the PotD of Smash Balls, I'd be most interested in seeing Pit's Final Smash, for obvious reasons. yes, thanks to the Alfonzo situation, seeing Palutena revive her role as Pit's Final Smash would not be 100% confirmation but it would be damaging that's for sure.

@ BADGRAPHICS BADGRAPHICS
@Zandro
Is Genesect really that popular? Is it a character I shouldn't be surprised to see if he pops up in a leak? I'm generally curious btw, I wasn't in the Pokemon fandom for the Genesect hype.

Is Genesect really that popular? Is it a character I shouldn't be surprised to see if he pops up in a leak? I'm generally curious btw, I wasn't in the Pokemon fandom for the Genesect hype.
There was some suspense around Genesect because he was, in index order, the final Pokémon at the time of Black and White. This made him the successor to the god Pokémon, Arceus. Being the only legendary Bug-type (as far as I know off the top of my head) also made him stand out. However, he seems like the kind of one-trick pony that would have him as a Poké Ball summon rather than a playable character, because all he's known to do is fire off his back-mounted cannon.

Imo, he may pop up in rumors for the sole reason of being in a recent Pokémon movie alongside the new Mewtwo.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
There was some suspense around Genesect because he was, in index order, the final Pokémon at the time of Black and White. This made him the successor to the god Pokémon, Arceus. Being the only legendary Bug-type (as far as I know off the top of my head) also made him stand out. However, he seems like the kind of one-trick pony that would have him as a Poké Ball summon rather than a playable character, because all he's known to do is fire off his back-mounted cannon.

Imo, he may pop up in rumors for the sole reason of being in a recent Pokémon movie alongside the new Mewtwo.[/quote]

Yeah I'd have to agree. Genesect really seems more well suited for a Poké Ball summon. His appearance alongside Mewtwo does not warrant his playability. If he shows up in leaks its probably just a wish. :/

Anyways. Any new leaks?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
We know as depicted in the Palutena leak that she is a playable character. The leaker also says she is like gardevoir which is what another leak said she would be. This thing is fake.
Palutena? Like Gardevoir?

If Sakurai skipped out on making her, a fan favorite worldwide, a playable character just to turn her into a Gardevoir assist trophy, I'll lose all faith in that man's ability to interpret anything ever again, and the hype would just instantly die.

**** that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Palutena? Like Gardevoir?

If Sakurai skipped out on making her, a fan favorite worldwide, a playable character just to turn her into a Gardevoir assist trophy, I'll lose all faith in that man's ability to interpret anything ever again, and the hype would just instantly die.

**** that.
But Sakurai adds characters you didn't know you wanted! Praise be to Sakurai! :troll:

Anyways, an addition to both my earlier comment about which older "leaks" you reference newer ones against and my more recent discussion about how, beyond a few token shockers, the roster is likely to be relatively safe: I sometime reflect back on that one ridiculously vague poster who came here and talked about how there are a few newcomers who "he hasn't seen many people guessing."

In thinking over some options, a few possibilities I came up with were Isaac (a middle-of-the-road choice often left out of "leaks" in lieu of Shulk), Ray 01, and (up until recently) Chibi-Robo. They're unexpected, but more in the vein of under-the-radar unexpected choices like ROB, rather than throwaway randoms-for-the-sake-of-being-random like, say, a Diskun or one of those card-playing Japanese-sounding guys.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But Sakurai adds characters you didn't know you wanted! Praise be to Sakurai! :troll:

Anyways, an addition to both my earlier comment about which older "leaks" you reference newer ones against and my more recent discussion about how, beyond a few token shockers, the roster is likely to be relatively safe: I sometime reflect back on that one ridiculously vague poster who came here and talked about how there are a few newcomers who "he hasn't seen many people guessing."

In thinking over some options, a few possibilities I came up with were Isaac (a middle-of-the-road choice often left out of "leaks" in lieu of Shulk), Ray 01, and (up until recently) Chibi-Robo. They're unexpected without being absolute nonentity NPCs.

But...but I want Shulk badly! :sadsheep:

But yeah, outside of maybe one shocker, I expect the roster to be relatively safe (Takamaru, Palutena, Miis, Pac-Man, a couple others in addition to the ones we've seen.) I don't see Sakurai removing that many characters, in light of the things he's said.

For example, he's stated he's going to try and keep as many veterans as possible. That doesn't really seem like a man who would cut four of them (Alright...maybe Snake, but if Ike goes anywhere for no reason I'm going to be really, really mad.) just to replace them with other characters, and be totally sure of those cuts right now. (One of the reasons I'm scoffing at the Betternet roster)

I wouldn't be surprised to see him throw in Chibi-Robo, Isaac or Ray, but I guess we'll see.

Also, please remember (general statement, not to you Bkupps) that Sakurai is aiming for uniqueness in newcomers at this point. As such, I find Dixie and Toon Zelda unlikely choices as a whole, because although their similarities can be downplayed with their similarly-sized counterparts, I don't see them being "outside the box enough" to merit high-quality CGI trailer showcasing their uniqueness, and building hype. Looking at the current newcomers as an example, I just don't see it.

However, with TakapaluRidley or Shulk or any of those YOU mentioned, it's easy to see how he could do all of those things in a trailer.

Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box, or being too judgy, but when I look at a leak, I start looking at the characters from THAT angle now.

Edit: As a side note, and still obsessing over the Betternet roster, how does Japan feel about Krystal? I find it silly that Sakurai would spend all that time making Wolf unique, and even have wanted to have him in Melee (iirc) just to remove him in favor of Krystal.

I know he wants more women guys, but come on, between Villager potentially having an alt, WFT, Rosalina, Palutena, PT potentially having an alt, and Miis, isn't that fine? Krystal literally would be brought in for that reason alone.

Oh, and then there's Robin. Who could also potentially be female. This is personal bias right here, but come on Sakurai, if the Betternet roster is correct, you had the chance to take a perfectly good FE magic user that's popular, and not use them? (Don't throw Michaiah in my face. Ike won his spot fair and ****ing square.)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Edit: As a side note, and still obsessing over the Betternet roster, how does Japan feel about Krystal? I find it silly that Sakurai would spend all that time making Wolf unique, and even have wanted to have him in Melee (iirc) just to remove him in favor of Krystal.

I know he wants more women guys, but come on, between Villager potentially having an alt, WFT, Rosalina, Palutena, PT potentially having an alt, and Miis, isn't that fine? Krystal literally would be brought in for that reason alone.
From what I understand she's not that popular there, at the very least I know Chronobound in particular has said that she was beaten out by Wolf there back in Brawl and thus it wasn't a surprise to them that he got in over her.

To be fair to her though, she does bring a unique moveset in her staff so that's something in her pocket.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
From what I understand she's not that popular there, at the very least I know Chronobound in particular has said that she was beaten out by Wolf there back in Brawl and thus it wasn't a surprise to them that he got in over her.

To be fair to her though, she does bring a unique moveset in her staff so that's something in her pocket.
It's true, but unless Sakurai's mentality has changed THAT much, (which it hasn't except maybe in terms of newcomers if you ask me. If Toon Link can get in, but Wolf and Ike can't, something's rotten.) Wolf was pretty unique as he was, and a couple moveset tweaks (and a new final smash) would make him totally unique in the eyes of the fans...maybe.

Though you have a point about the staff, but I really don't think that should be her golden ticket.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if k rool and ridley are not in based on the overwhelming demand they have and the potential unique moveset they present then I will lose my faith that sakurai knows what he is doing.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
if k rool and ridley are not in based on the overwhelming demand they have and the potential unique moveset they present then I will lose my faith that sakurai knows what he is doing.
Come on, dude...

Flaming Sakurai in the leaks thread? That's like going to a church bake sale and making a speech about evolution.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
"Newcomers I don't personally care about" = "Safe newcomers," apparently.

BAAWWWW, Brawl's roster has Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit, Sonic, Lucario, Olimar, and Wolf! TOO SAFE!!!
There was a time when Lucario, Olimar, and Wolf were not considered "too safe". Oh, yeah. I haven't forgotten how people saw them in 2007.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Sakurai don't really choose the characters solely on popularity, but if they are popular and able to providing unique but interesting move sets then they will be in. At long they don't really play like other characters. I apologized for off-topic discussion.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's a bunch of games with a Thursday release. Any rumours saying, for example, Wario for Mario Party's release?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Come on, dude...

Flaming Sakurai in the leaks thread? That's like going to a church bake sale and making a speech about evolution.
Oh please, considering how many churches accept evolution now that isn't even a good analogy anymore.

But digressing and thread derailment aside, I think we need to keep an eye out for disappointing roster leaks. Yes, even the dreadful Betternet one. Why? Back in Brawl the situation was virtually the same. The roster leak(s) that was so small and had some questionable character choices happened to be true.

Though Sakurai has made some unique decisions so far (Little Mac is especially promising for others not popular in Japan), but it'd be best to safeguard our desires nonetheless should the worst happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There was a time when Lucario, Olimar, and Wolf were not considered "too safe". Oh, yeah. I haven't forgotten how people saw them in 2007.
Ah yes, back when it was Lucario vs Mewtwo and Wolf vs Krystal day in and day out and back when a ton of people wanted Olimar but had no idea how the hell he'd work. I guess Lucario vs Mewtwo has been replaced with Ike vs Chrom, Wolf vs Krystal with Dixie vs. K. Rool and Ridley is the new Olimar this time around. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ah yes, back when it was Lucario vs Mewtwo and Wolf vs Krystal day in and day out and back when a ton of people wanted Olimar but had no idea how the hell he'd work. I guess Lucario vs Mewtwo has been replaced with Ike vs Chrom, Wolf vs Krystal with Dixie vs. K. Rool and Ridley is the new Olimar this time around. :troll:
Nice to see the Lucario and Mewtwo camps called truce. And Krystal vs Wolf is still ongoing, 'cept it's more like Krystal's staff vs Falco/Wolf.

And no one questioned Geno. I always preferred Malllow anyway.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Sakurai don't really choose the characters solely on popularity, but if they are popular and able to providing unique but interesting move sets then they will be in. At long they don't really play like other characters. I apologized for off-topic discussion.
The character also generally has to be important to the series they come from as a whole. Otherwise we'd have characters like Geno, Vaati, and what not.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The character also generally has to be important to the series they come from as a whole. Otherwise we'd have characters like Geno, Vaati, and what not.
Shut up, I've wanted Whatnot to be playable for soooooooooooooooo long!

Edit: Thought this was in the social thread, not rumors, damn multiple tabs! Response still stands though.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nice to see the Lucario and Mewtwo camps called truce. And Krystal vs Wolf is still ongoing, 'cept it's more like Krystal's staff vs Falco/Wolf.

And no one questioned Geno. I always preferred Malllow anyway.
I wouldn't call it a truce so much as an acceptance that having them both in the game is stupidly likely now that Lucario's already been confirmed and Mewtwo's relevance and popularity has had a major renaissance in the past year. For Star Fox it's become whether or not Falco/Wolf will be cut and, if so, will Krystal take their place or will Sakurai just leave Star Fox with one less rep this time around. Truth be told, I could see K. Rool winding up as this generation's "Geno" but we'll just see how things unfold.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wouldn't call it a truce so much as an acceptance that having them both in the game is stupidly likely now that Lucario's already been confirmed and Mewtwo's relevance and popularity has had a major renaissance in the past year. For Star Fox it's become whether or not Falco/Wolf will be cut and, if so, will Krystal take their place or will Sakurai just leave Star Fox with one less rep this time around. Truth be told, I could see K. Rool winding up as this generation's "Geno" but we'll just see how things unfold.
Doubt it. One is a one-shot Mario character owned by Square-Enix whilst another is an actual Nintendo character and the signature villain of a major franchise.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Doubt it. One is a one-shot Mario character owned by Square-Enix whilst another is an actual Nintendo character and the signature villain of a major franchise.
Who skipped out on the last few major outings of said franchise. People don't like talking about it here, but there it is.... and it's not about franchise relevancy, like the Ice Climbers, it's about relevancy to the franchise.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Except K. Rool hasn't been the main villain in a major DK game since 1999 and was completely absent from the last three major installments (Jungle Beat, DKCR, and TF). Like Geno, he has plenty of creative potential and a sizable fanbase but that may not be enough. This isn't to say that he won't get in though. Between the juggernauts K. Rool, Ridley, Shulk, and Issac, I feel like at least one of these characters won't make the final cut (I'd actually argue Issac's the weakest link of the four) so I don't have anything personally against the character.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Who skipped out on the last few major outings of said franchise. People don't like talking about it here, but there it is.... and it's not about franchise relevancy, like the Ice Climbers, it's about relevancy to the franchise.
Iconic > Relevant

zachmundell

Smash Cadet
This might be totally out of line but I'm pretty quick to dismiss any leak that has an excessive amount of like...crazy sword-weilding fighting ninja/fighters or whatever. Like...Idk I feel like you're going to have those kinds of characters, yeah, from Fire Emblem or whatever but I don't see them getting like Shulk AND Takamaru AND whoever from Fire Emblem AND whoever ELSE from Fire Emblem. I try to keep in mind that this *is* a Nintendo game and characters like that don't really scream "Nintendo!" to me. It's not Soul Calibur. It's for Nintendo All-Stars to duke it out. idk. (BTW this is coming from a totally unbiased point of view, i really don't care either way, all I wanted was Peach and she's already in so...haha)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Iconic > Relevant
Maybe? I mean, I think he should get in the game due to his fan base if nothing else (not a fan of his really, though, but that's besides the point) but he is obviously not all that important to the Donkey Kong Country franchise, as it's been getting along fine without him. Important > Iconic, and at this point, I think Dixie might be more important then K. Rool.

Truth is, we don't know how characters are viewed internally at Nintendo. There may be an actual mandate against using K. Rool for some reason. Maybe they want to really push the leader of the Snomads as a major DKC enemy in the future. Hell, maybe IS is going to remake Roy's Fire Emblem title or Retro is working on a Star Fox assault spin off starring the Star Wolf team.... trying to figure out fringe characters without really knowing what's going on in Nintendo is useless. King K. Rool definitely falls into the fringe character category (or he would likely already have been in Smash Bros.)

Enough of this though, it's a bit off topic in the rumors thread, although I would be more then happy to discuss it in any appropriate character thread.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Eh still even given relevency issues K. Rool is not exactly in the same position as Geno in that regards who I have always felt didn't have a chance at all. What makes K. Rool more complicated is he is regularly associated as the main villian of the Donkey Kong series even long after he stopped appearing in games, there really hasn't been a villian in the DK series that has really stuck in the same way as K Rool has and many still clamour for his return even after being dismissed for several games.

In the end who can say other then Sakurai whether any criteria we look at actually matters.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This might be totally out of line but I'm pretty quick to dismiss any leak that has an excessive amount of like...crazy sword-weilding fighting ninja/fighters or whatever. Like...Idk I feel like you're going to have those kinds of characters, yeah, from Fire Emblem or whatever but I don't see them getting like Shulk AND Takamaru AND whoever from Fire Emblem AND whoever ELSE from Fire Emblem. I try to keep in mind that this *is* a Nintendo game and characters like that don't really scream "Nintendo!" to me. It's not Soul Calibur. It's for Nintendo All-Stars to duke it out. idk. (BTW this is coming from a totally unbiased point of view, i really don't care either way, all I wanted was Peach and she's already in so...haha)
True. 9/10 of the newcomes in these "leaks" are either swordsmen, villains, or Pac-Man. You'll rarely see a spellcasting protagonist on one of them, for example.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Eh still even given relevency issues K. Rool is not exactly in the same position as Geno in that regards who I have always felt didn't have a chance at all. What makes K. Rool more complicated is he is regularly associated as the main villian of the Donkey Kong series even long after he stopped appearing in games, there really hasn't been a villian in the DK series that has really stuck in the same way as K Rool has and many still clamour for his return even after being dismissed for several games.

In the end who can say other then Sakurai whether any criteria we look at actually matters.
I agree, I don't think K. Rool is anything like Geno. Geno is not only third party, but he was never actually important. He is a one off character that barely mattered in the game he was in... it's like people getting pissed Yuffie didn't make it into Dissidia. I was just pointing out that K. Rool isn't a shoe in character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom