• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Betternet Roster Leak: I'm not going to bother with some vain preface and balderdash in an attempt to establish credibility. Read and think what you will, but remember to come back to this list as more and more revelations show concurrence.

Final Character Roster

1st Row: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo
2nd Row: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda, Pit, Palutena, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Krystal, Marth, Chrom & Lucina
3rd Row: Mii, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Ness, Samus, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Takamaru, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man

All names written as announced upon selection.

Cut: Ike, Lucas, Wolf, Snake
Reworked: Pokemon Trainer
Something that bothers me is that a lot of leaks cut Brawl newcomers. Why introduce new characters if you're just going to cut them in the next game?

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, that one rumor where they called Takamaru "High Round" matches pretty well as far as I can tell. It even has four cuts if you count :younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee::drmario:. I'm not saying either rumor is true, but they seem to support each other.
This is something I've been meaning to bring up. The MK8 guy just says "Cut from Smash". He never said Brawl, he just said Smash, just like when Sakurai said that he couldn't bring every character back from Smash.

If there are 4 cuts, it really would not surprise me if Sakurai considers them still to be "Cuts from Smash", and there ARE 4 of them after all.

What we lack is context. The guy never said Brawl, he said Smash, so for all we know, he could very well mean the melee clones.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
This MK8 Inside Drift "Leak" is interesting.
Not much to disprove, but you gotta think about what it could mean.

"48 Characters" may include transformation characters like Zero Suit, Sheik, and the Pokémon individually.
The 4 cuts from "Smash" could include characters from every Smash Bros. game (In other words suggesting that Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu, and Young Link aren't returning).
The info is too vague, but I imagine RosalinaX to have no reason to lie about this information. Especially considering his join date being June of 2008.

Quite the conundrum.
I did have my roster expectations in between 40-45. But either way 48 does seem more like a reasonable number if this was true.

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Something that bothers me is that a lot of leaks cut Brawl newcomers. Why introduce new characters if you're just going to cut them in the next game?
It happened in Melee.
This is something I've been meaning to bring up. The MK8 guy just says "Cut from Smash". He never said Brawl, he just said Smash, just like when Sakurai said that he couldn't bring every character back from Smash.

If there are 4 cuts, it really would not surprise me if Sakurai considers them still to be "Cuts from Smash", and there ARE 4 of them.
That really makes sense. With that quote you posted earlier, this also relates to that. Along with the other 4 who he mentioned he might not have time to bring back, maybe Sakurai was referencing more so about Mewtwo and Roy, since they have the most fans that want them back. I have to go find that 4chan leak now.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think that's thinking a bit too literally, if we're talking about a leaker I'd assume he wasn't really considering the Melee cuts as aside from Mewtwo and maybe Roy they don't really register on the radar for most fans, plus you can't really be cut if you're already not present anyway. He probably just meant characters that didn't make it into SSB4 from Brawl if we're assuming he's right.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think that's thinking a bit too literally, if we're talking about a leaker I'd assume he wasn't really considering the Melee cuts as aside from Mewtwo and maybe Roy they don't really register on the radar for most fans. He probably just meant characters that didn't make it into SSB4 rather then characters that have already been cut.
"Cut from Smash". Until he uses the term "Brawl", then that's all we have to go off of. It's the same word usage as Sakurai when he said he couldn't bring everyone back "From Smash".

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It happened in Melee.
Most were clones, Mewtwo had no good reason to be cut but the rest were understandable. I should've clarified by saying, "unique Brawl newcomers". Like PT, Ike, and Lucario. They are commonly cut on leaks.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
I think that's thinking a bit too literally, if we're talking about a leaker I'd assume he wasn't really considering the Melee cuts as aside from Mewtwo and maybe Roy they don't really register on the radar for most fans, plus you can't really be cut if you're already not present anyway. He probably just meant characters that didn't make it into SSB4 from Brawl if we're assuming he's right.
Maybe. It's just that after the quote Chris brought up, it sounded like Sakurai was also referencing some melee verterans (Obviously Mewtwo and maybe Roy), it sounded like he meant all smash characters up until this point. It is a reach, but it depends on who leaked it and how they view it.

Dan

Smash Lord
Betternet leak seems very realistic to me. I like how he says keep coming back to the list to realize it's real.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
"Cut from Smash". Until he uses the term "Brawl", then that's all we have to go off of. It's the same word usage as Sakurai when he said he couldn't bring everyone back "From Smash".
Again, that's thinking too literally. While that may matter to Sakurai, to a typical leaker they're probably not going to be thinking that way as the Melee cuts already happened, why note them again? The leaker in question is not Sakurai nor would he have his exact thinking, it's more likely that he meant characters from Brawl then he did characters already missing.

Maybe. It's just that after the quote Chris brought up, it sounded like Sakurai was also referencing some melee verterans (Obviously Mewtwo and maybe Roy), it sounded like he meant all smash characters up until this point. It is a reach, but it depends on who leaked it and how they view it.
With Sakurai, possibly, but the thing is the leaker is not Sakurai and wouldn't have his exact thinking. We can't imprint Sakurai on the leaker when we don't know the leaker's mindset, much less if he would be influenced by that thinking.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Did betternet ever establish how the Pokemon trainer was going to be reworked?

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Wow, that would be terrible. Too many females added and no new villains, cutting an important Star Fox villain for a less important female, and only 45 characters.
Don't believe that leak. My sources say Wolf will return and Krystal will be a newcomer. :troll:

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
"The characters I don't like being there pretty much proves this is a fake list."

Yeah, it's a connection, but 48 isn't exactly an uncommon roster count among speculators. The more conservative ones tend to go with either 42 or 45, while the more optimistic ones lean toward either 48 or 52 (sometimes more).
Since a 48 character roster is a pretty typical assumption because it's a good number that's not too many and not too few, I would hesitate before drawing a connection between the two.

(Honestly I'd discount any roster that doesn't have playable Miis and let alone Lyn, but who knows what could happen.)
I wasn't meaning to imply we should draw a connection between the two. I just thought since they did match and were so close together time wise some hapless users might inadvertently connect them. It was by no means a bad surprise to see that people hadn't.

Oh and BKuppa your fake quote right after actually quoting me isn't meant to pertain to me is it? If so, I think a wire got crossed and we miscommunicated.

Shroob

Sup?
Again, that's thinking too literally. While that may matter to Sakurai, to a typical leaker they're probably not going to be thinking that way as the Melee cuts already happened, why note them again? The leaker in question is not Sakurai nor would he have his exact thinking, it's more likely that he meant characters from Brawl then he did characters already missing.
The question is, considering how vague this person's information is, how do you assume they got it? Obviously, if they got it through legitimate means, like a worker leaking it somehow, it would not surprise me if it did indeed mean the Melee vets. Sakurai hates cutting characters, he's said that before, so it would not surprise me if not having them in Smash 4 was a big deal to him. Do remember Roy, Dr.Mario and Mewtwo were meant to be in Brawl, after all.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Did betternet ever establish how the Pokemon trainer was going to be reworked?
Not really, just a vague "PT no longer commands the pokemon".

Oh, and a question. Are leaks almost always exclusive to English speakers? Has smash bros had a leak that wasn't from an English speaker? It seems like all of brawls leaks were from English speakers. Which makes sense since the game was probably undergoing translation etc, a couple of months before release. Has there ever been a real leak from a Japanese speaker though?

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I'd be surprised if he isn't cut. =P
I feel like people just want him cut... thus they believe him to be getting the axe. Most Nintendo fans aren't fans of Snake and they're a bit annoyed that a MG hasn't come to a Nintendo system in a while.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Not really, just a vague "PT no longer commands the pokemon".

Oh, and a question. Are leaks almost always exclusive to English speakers? Has smash bros had a leak that wasn't from an English speaker? It seems like all of brawls leaks were from English speakers. Which makes sense since the game was probably undergoing translation etc, a couple of months before release. Has there ever been a real leak from a Japanese speaker though?
Well, the supposed 4chan leak.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The question is, considering how vague this person's information is, how do you assume they got it? Obviously, if they got it through legitimate means, like a worker leaking it somehow, it would not surprise me if it did indeed mean the Melee vets. Sakurai hates cutting characters, he's said that before, so it would not surprise me if not having them in Smash 4 was a big deal to him. Do remember Roy, Dr.Mario and Mewtwo were meant to be in Brawl, after all.
That comes down to three prongs of issues: Firstly, we don't know for certain Sakurai thinks that way, to us we may interpret that quote like that, but we have misinterpreted him so many times before. He could've just said a general statement and meant Brawl, but we took it as something else. Secondly, consider the mindset of whoever's leaking (which can be a playtester, worker, etc.) as well as their potential access to Sakurai. If they don't have that access, they won't have that mindset, and even if they do have that access, that thinking may not influence them. Thirdly, consider the audience that the leaker would be addressing, to fans the Melee cuts already happened and aside from Mewtwo and Roy to a lesser extent, the other three don't register on the radar. The audience is more concerned about characters from Brawl, not the characters we already lost (excluding the aforementioned two).

So with that in mind, I don't consider it a likely possibility that he meant Smash in general, to me it's kind of trying to apply a general meaning to something that it may've not been present to begin with.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
That comes down to three prongs of issues: Firstly, we don't know for certain Sakurai thinks that way, to us we may interpret that quote like that, but we have misinterpreted him so many times before. He could've just said a general statement and meant Brawl, but we took it as something else. Secondly, consider the mindset of whoever's leaking (which can be a playtester, worker, etc.) as well as their potential access to Sakurai. If they don't have that access, they won't have that mindset, and even if they do have that access, that thinking may not influence them. Thirdly, consider the audience that the leaker would be addressing, to fans the Melee cuts already happened and aside from Mewtwo and Roy to a lesser extent, the other three don't register on the radar. The audience is more concerned about characters from Brawl, not the characters we already lost (excluding the aforementioned two).

So with that in mind, I don't consider it a likely possibility that he meant Smash in general, to me I don't think that the leaker was thinking in those terms whether by himself or when addressing us.
And while you don't, I do. "Smash" is too general a term, and without the keyword of "Brawl", then all we have to go off of is useless speculation and debate.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And while you don't, I do. "Smash" is too general a term, and without the keyword of "Brawl", then all we have to go off of is useless speculation and debate.
If that's the case, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I would much rather he meant Melee cuts, but considering the circumstances, the leaker and the audience, I don't think that's the case nor would I be surprised if we did lose four characters from Brawl. Maybe it's pessimistic, but considering what happened in the past it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case (assuming the leak is true of course).

Shroob

Sup?
Also, here's a question.

Why has no one gone and asked RosalinaX more questions? The thread has been dead since yesterday, so you would think someone would give a damn, considering what he/she said, but absolutely no one has asked him/her anything, which makes me scratch my head. On a forum THAT populated, you would think people would notice, but 1, maybe 2 or 3 people commented on it at all.

Yes, it's not a Smash forum, but private messages exist for a reason. IF, and this is an IF, he/she admits to it being "Smash in general" and not just Brawl, I'd be hard pressed to not tie it into the 4chan leak, especially considering how quickly the two popped up in a proximity of time.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
He also was they very few who didn't post a reveal list for characters except e3 reveals.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Also, here's a question.

Why has no one gone and asked RosalinaX more questions? The thread has been dead since yesterday, so you would think someone would give a damn, considering what he/she said, but absolutely no one has asked him/her anything, which makes me scratch my head. On a forum THAT populated, you would think people would notice, but 1, maybe 2 or 3 people commented on it at all.

Yes, it's not a Smash forum, but private messages exist for a reason. IF, and this is an IF, he/she admits to it being "Smash in general" and not just Brawl, I'd be hard pressed to not tie it into the 4chan leak, especially considering how quickly the two popped up in a proximity of time.
It's presumably because RosalinaX does not have anymore information to give. The MK fan base aren't actually as invested into video games leaks or Smash like we are. One person did ask about smash if that counts as anything though. During the brawl era, I didn't even know leaks existed, nor did I even care for them. When I did hear something, It would be more of an "Oh, Neat". Mario Kart has a big fanbase that draws in viewers from all corners, so it's not so far fetched that the community would be full of people who aren't so devoted and worried about leaks. For smash bros, it's a really big deal. I don't think they simply care for Smash, and the MK8 information is just interesting tidbits on the mechanics, what might return and answers for why the demo didn't have certain things.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's presumably because RosalinaX does not have anymore information to give. The MK fan base aren't actually as invested into video games leaks or Smash like we are. One person did ask about smash if that counts as anything though. During the brawl era, I didn't even know leaks existed, nor did I even care for them. When I did hear something, It would be more of an "Oh, Neat". Mario Kart has a big fanbase that draws in viewers from all corners, so it's not so far fetched that the community would be full of people who aren't so devoted and worried about leaks. For smash bros, it's a really big deal. I don't think they simply care for Smash, and the MK8 information is just interesting tidbits on the mechanics, what might return and answers for why the demo didn't have certain things.
But he has information, which seems very strange, especially to leak it on a Mario Kart forum of all places.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
But he has information, which seems very strange, especially to leak it on a Mario Kart forum of all places.
He said he got it from a source. The only reason Smash was mentioned was because his source said he also had one tid bit on smash if he wanted it. He also noted that he "thinks" it's real, as he is sure that the Mario Kart portion is real. Someone asked for the Smash portion of it, which is why the roster number was shared. It looks like his source has nothing but the roster number in regards to smash though.

T

Trick or Treat

I could talk to him about it. It's been a long time so he likely won't remember me but I'll see what I can do.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
I could talk to him about it. It's been a long time so he likely won't remember me but I'll see what I can do.
Good~!

If his source is legit it sounds like it's some guy that works with the mario kart 8 crew on the e3 team. I guess it's possible that someone in that position could get smash information, but eh.
Hopefully this doesn't become another Anna joke leak. I'll look like such an idiot after defending it too. :(

Last edited:

DragonRob20

Smash Apprentice
Is there a Mother 3 anniversary coming up so this Lucas getting cut can be proven wrong? Ill admit that betternet leak smells awful like the real brawl leak people denied to death till it was revealed. But I will denied this until till we know the truth. Based Sakurai will unleash Lucas on you all and Lucas will be our savior from this lousy roster.

Shroob

Sup?
Is there a Mother 3 anniversary coming up so this Lucas getting cut can be proven wrong? Ill admit that betternet leak smells awful like the real brawl leak people denied to death till it was revealed. But I will denied this until till we know the truth. Based Sakurai will unleash Lucas on you all and Lucas will be our savior from this lousy roster.
Mother 3's Anniversary falls on a weekend, as does Mother's Day, so no, sadly neither day seems likely.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
It's April 20th, but that's a weekend, so we may see him on that Friday/Monday

Jazzman

Smash Cadet
Betternet Roster Leak: I'm not going to bother with some vain preface and balderdash in an attempt to establish credibility. Read and think what you will, but remember to come back to this list as more and more revelations show concurrence.

Final Character Roster

1st Row: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Bowser, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Mewtwo
2nd Row: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda, Pit, Palutena, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Krystal, Marth, Chrom & Lucina
3rd Row: Mii, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Ness, Samus, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Takamaru, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man

All names written as announced upon selection.

Cut: Ike, Lucas, Wolf, Snake
Reworked: Pokemon Trainer
This doesn't make sense, if this is supposed to collaborate with the Rosalina leak it's not doing a very good job.

First off only 45 characters are listed, now for the sake of the argument you add Pokemon trainers pokemon, you'd have 47, then you need to remember Zero Suit Samus and Sheik exist thats 49, AND if Toon Zelda has a Tetra/Toon Sheik alt that's 50.

The only way it would work if Pokemon trainer only had 1 Pokemon and that doesn't make sense for the character.
Between this and the Rosalina leak if one of them is real, one of them is false.

Shroob

Sup?
This doesn't make sense, if this is supposed to collaborate with the Rosalina leak it's not doing a very good job.

First off only 45 characters are listed, now for the sake of the argument you add Pokemon trainers pokemon, you'd have 47, then you need to remember Zero Suit Samus and Sheik exist thats 49, AND if Toon Zelda has a Tetra/Toon Sheik alt that's 50.

The only way it would work if Pokemon trainer only had 1 Pokemon and that doesn't make sense for the character.
Between this and the Rosalina leak if one of them is real, one of them is false.
I don't think it collaborates with the RosalinaX leak at all. If anything, the 4chan leak fits the RosalinaX leak more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom