• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
How do you know it wasn't just trolls pretending to be all of those people?!?!?!
They've posted about it elsewhere like on twitter or other sites where their identity isn't questioned. Mods verify the accounts as well. They will have the members prove their identity. This only happens if someone is claiming to be a well known person and their email address offers no clues as to who they are. It's assumed that there are tons of famous people on gaf but most don't want to come forward or the mods simply let them remain anonymous.

And many times posters like Gary Whitta will post set pictures or other stuff that can't be found anywhere else. So on our end (the normal members side) we tend to believe that the mods have verified that these people are who they say they are.

Remember to have an account there you have to have a paid email address and many times that matches up with their name/company. For example if you register for an account with an email address of ReggieFilsAime@NintendoOFAmerica.com then we know that Reggie has an account. To actually become a member you have to click the verification link sent to the paid email you signed up with. So many times there are people that have accounts that mods know about but don't out.

GameTrailers did a documentary about called "Neogaf: A Perfect Little World". Many developers and analysts talk about Neogaf and gaming culture in said documentary. Some devs said they post but would never tell who they are. Some we already know post. There's tons and tons of developers talking about neogaf outside of gaf.

1up and other famous news websites have done stories about Dennis Dyack getting banned. Dennis defended himself on the 1up podcast (this was before he was banned. He was defending himself against negative posts towards his game) and called Neogaf a terrible community lol. He was obviously salty gaf hated his game.

Also this scandal was why David Jaffe was banned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVAXZZs9y8k
Major Nelson lists his gaf account here: http://majornelson.com/general-blog-faq/

edit: Just watch the documentary I linked to. Explains everything better than I do.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I am a huge fan of Halo, and know that Frank O'connor [name is Stinkles on GAF] has pointed out the crazy devs that lurk there.
Yup. I even found a pretty huge game breaking glitch in one of the Halos. I told gaf I wouldn't post it but it allowed for unlimited credits. Stinkles messaged me and told me to describe in detail how to do it. I did and they patched it later on. Cool guy. He told me I wouldn't get banned from MM for doing it a few times haha. Hangs out in Off-Topic a lot. Sometimes I wonder how he gets any work done.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Ironically, I'm more interested in anything he had to say Mario Kart 8 wise. I heard rumors that a special 3rd party guest could show up in that game. So I wondered if he gave any credit to that.
What's the character that is rumored?

They've posted about it elsewhere like on twitter or other sites where their identity isn't questioned. Mods verify the accounts as well. They will have the members prove their identity. This only happens if someone is claiming to be a well known person. It's assumed that there are tons of famous people on gaf but most don't want to come forward.
That's pretty cool. I never knew that about NeoGAF.

I always lurk here and see what the new rumors are. It's been pretty dull lately, though. As others have said, closer to launch, and we will start seeing some real leaks. Not rumors.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I can only get that page, so if there was anymore information I can't access it.
So it's more so obvious bug/glitch fixes, a new system to prevent shortcuts, lakitu getting tweaked, no more spawn glitches, and some information about problems they were having. I guess we'll have to see if indrifting and some of that stuff is in the final version of the game or demos.

Shin F.

Smash Master
You can't gauge the success of a game on the basis that it consistently pumps out sequels. Look at Sonic, a series that Fluxuates between good and bad games constantly. And I'll reiterate, no matter how successful this niche franchise is to the minority of fans that thing it's relevant, that doesn't really mean much, especially given that this is from a hand held franchise. Can you name me one franchise in Smash besides Pokemon that has characters that derived from a hand held? No--granted hand held gaming wasn't as big as it is now and with hand held systems holding a greater capacity for graphics some franchises transition between consoles, but it is unfortunately still in the lime-light of gaming.

I think you are confusing you phrase "made is give a ****" with "didn't know they existed". Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Marth and Roy, come Melee I was not aware of their existence. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer were included because they just wanted too, but in the defense of the game it was a huge part of gaming since Wii Fit rode along with the whole motion control craze. While I do agree that Toon Link was something that was shoved down the throats of others, ROB was something on a whole other level.

Sorry if you can't deal with my bs dude, but I've been here for a while and stuck through the Brawl release phase. Many of these same compelling arguments. If Advanced Wars was such a huge success then why didn't we get a character 5 years ago? We got an assist trophy, but so did Little Mac, only difference is that out of a result of his reappearance and the fact that he still has one of the most popular old school Nintendo games, Punch Out got a sequel, Sin and Punishment even got a sequel. Did Advance wars get one? Yeah, but it abandoned every relevant character and rehashes the series, so who is to say even if we get an Advance Wars character will it even be the one people have known the series for? Same applies to characters like Saki too.

Just look at the threads that have been made on this forum, a majority are just bumps from over five years ago with the same arguments. The same expectations players had are still here now. Some people learned that things won't always go your way and learn to like what they get while others will selfishly whine and curse the creator of the game. If these characters had so much star power we would see some indication of a revival or they would have been in Brawl. Either way it really doesn't matter to me, I have no problem just liking who I get. Because a character from my favorite franchise doesn't get in doesn't mean I'm not going to continue to love it or it will cease to exist.
You also can't judge the chances of a character by how successful their game was. Look at Metroid - one of Nintendo's best franchises, yet still given the shaft in representation. It's only surpassed by a few franchises - Mario, DK, Pokemon, Zelda, Wii, Kirby, and Smash itself. And yet it still has the same number of reps as Earthbound, which is a very niche series itself. Star Fox has fewer sales and more reps. In fact, the same can be said of Donkey Kong as well. And yes, there are in fact other characters in Smash from handhelds, notably Roy and Lucas. Further, the only mainstream Zelda game to feature Toon Link is Wind Waker, the others are handhelds. I get that you love Advance Wars and don't want to get your hopes up, but there is a chance it could still happen. Predicting Sakurai is like predicting the Apocalypse - everyone tries to do it, no one ever gets it right.

That's why so many of these fake leaks are so unbelievable, really - everyone looks at Sakurai's choices and tries to predict him, but they inevitably get it wrong. And that happens on both sides, with leakers and the people who discuss them. No one predicted ROB. Very few jokingly guessed Wii Fit Trainer (or leaked it, depending on your viewpoint). Don't be surprised if there's another character like that. If and when they're revealed, no one will have guessed them even once.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You also can't judge the chances of a character by how successful their game was. Look at Metroid - one of Nintendo's best franchises, yet still given the shaft in representation. It's only surpassed by a few franchises - Mario, DK, Pokemon, Zelda, Wii, Kirby, and Smash itself. And yet it still has the same number of reps as Earthbound, which is a very niche series itself.
...Metroid has 2 reps?
News to me...

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah, while ZSS is still Samus, she has an entire moveset, and kinda Counts as her own character. Just, sharing her slot with her armored self.

Anyways, that Mario Kart leaker person. Any news about him/her?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The MK8 leak is kinda disconcerning to me, because Brawl's character selection was really good and 4 cuts from it is a pretty substantial chunk.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
He has a track, I would be surprised if he isn't back.
Now that I think about it though, it could mean: "Well he's not playable, but at least he has his own track! Happy?".
That would depress me.
He was the best in MKDS and MKWii.
Sure, we have Koopa Troopa. But he's not the same!

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
He has a track, I would be surprised if he isn't back.
Now that I think about it though, it could mean: "Well he's not playable, but at least he has his own track! Happy?".
You mean that Bone-themed track? You fly/drive into a huga Dry Bowser Cave, it would seem it is rather Dry Bowser's track. :p
But Dry Bone could still be in. However, less Mario Kart, more Smash Rumors.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Guys, please, it's not THAT hard to stay on topic. I also doubt Mods will be happy about all these Gifs. :/

Come on now, at least do this in the Social Thread.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I would really suggest certain users, and everyone in general, stop derailing this thread with drive-by GIFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom