• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am thinking that 48 is too many... I feel that it is probably gonna be 45... my reasoning?

Look at SSB4 website... when you view characters, you can see a row of characters at the bottom... okay, so I see that there are currently 3 dots... and each dot has one row of 9 characters.

First dot has Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Lucario, King Dedede, Zelda, Rosalina, Marth, Sonic, and Toon Link.

Second dot has Peach, Luigi, Olimar, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Link.

Third dot has Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Bowser, Pit, and three empty boxes.

Whenever a character is confirmed, that character is inserted into the first box of the first dot... and all characters are moved to the right.

I have a feeling that by April 2014 Nintendo Direct, we would have 27 confirmed characters (my bet's on Yoshi, Wario, and a newcomer)... and all three dots would be full...

And after that, a fourth dot with 8 empty boxes would appear when the 28th character is confirmed... and so we would have 36 characters (4 dots)... and then finally 45 characters (5 dots).
The website isn't an indication of the character roster at all, it's been said a million times before, and I'll have to say it again it seems.

When the website went up after E3 2013 Sakurai talked about how he hadn't cut any characters yet, and they're trying to include as many as possible, though cuts do have a high chance of happening. This is a clear indication that the website wasn't designed with a final roster count in mind, since it wasn't set in stone by the time it went up. We know that they work out from a priority list, which is why we can find leftover data from Dixie, Mewtwo, Roy, etc in Brawl, so it would be impossible to design the website with the final roster count in mind since that's only set in stone much closer to release. Furthermore, Brawl's website also has an entire row dedicated only to Sheik if we want to compare. You also have to count in that transformations are going to take up unique slots on the site, at least ZSS and Sheik are going to do so, which means that the final roster count would actually be 43.

The website indicates nothing at all, stop reading too much into it.

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
No it really doesn't. They got the leak from a friend, no? Again, you're basically saying that if I (since I have a GAF account, almost 10,000 points, and I'm respected and well known over there) said I have a leak from a friend who works for Nintendo in one way or another, my leak would be more credible, or true. No it wouldn't. You'd take it with as much salt as any other rumor.
True? I never said that, I simply said it would make people take your more seriously and view it as more legitimate than others. I'm not going to lie and say that I would view a rumor from you like any other; I would view your leak as a little more legitimate than others. This is a guy that is well known, plays with many people in the community, creates communities and rules for online play, etc. What aren't you understanding about why i'm holding him on a higher regard than a faceless anon? These merits are very different than simply having a high post count. Need I go on?
Like I've already said, you can't compare that forum to a place like this or GAF where it's known for notorious fake leaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Maka, I'm having a hard time remembering what he said. I'll have to ask him again."

Really? You get new info on an unreleased game and you can't remember what they told you? Okay, lol. Sounds believable.

GAF where it's known for notorious fake leaks.
False, GAF is well known for real leaks (example: crazybuttocksonatrain he may have gotten a few things wrong, but is usually spot on). I'm done arguing about this, I just hate the reasoning as to why people consider this more credible then any other leak out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
"Maka, I'm having a hard time remembering what he said. I'll have to ask him again."

Really? You get new info on an unreleased game and you can't remember what they told you? Okay, lol. Sounds believable.
Yes? Because apparently everyone has the same memory gauge as you.:facepalm: We are going in circles here.

This is just turning into a lot of generalizing. It would make more sense to leak something like I don't know, the mario kart roster amount if he was actually trying to fool people.
Again, he is not pulling it out of his bum, otherwise he would literally be spilling information like all of these other leakers. Someone has told him this information and he is simply sharing it. I'm just letting you know why I, along with some other people will be viewing as more credible than a random account created on websites for smash, notoriously known for making fake leaks.

EDIT: look at his merits, does this seem like some faker that's trying to mess with his fellow fans?

Ex-Staff Member, Site Helper, Graphical Artist, Member of 5+ years.

What more do you need to see why I see this leak as legitimate? :confused:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You can't gauge the success of a game on the basis that it consistently pumps out sequels. Look at Sonic, a series that Fluxuates between good and bad games constantly. And I'll reiterate, no matter how successful this niche franchise is to the minority of fans that thing it's relevant, that doesn't really mean much, especially given that this is from a hand held franchise. Can you name me one franchise in Smash besides Pokemon that has characters that derived from a hand held? No--granted hand held gaming wasn't as big as it is now and with hand held systems holding a greater capacity for graphics some franchises transition between consoles, but it is unfortunately still in the lime-light of gaming.

I think you are confusing you phrase "made is give a ****" with "didn't know they existed". Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Marth and Roy, come Melee I was not aware of their existence. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer were included because they just wanted too, but in the defense of the game it was a huge part of gaming since Wii Fit rode along with the whole motion control craze. While I do agree that Toon Link was something that was shoved down the throats of others, ROB was something on a whole other level.

Sorry if you can't deal with my bs dude, but I've been here for a while and stuck through the Brawl release phase. Many of these same compelling arguments. If Advanced Wars was such a huge success then why didn't we get a character 5 years ago? We got an assist trophy, but so did Little Mac, only difference is that out of a result of his reappearance and the fact that he still has one of the most popular old school Nintendo games, Punch Out got a sequel, Sin and Punishment even got a sequel. Did Advance wars get one? Yeah, but it abandoned every relevant character and rehashes the series, so who is to say even if we get an Advance Wars character will it even be the one people have known the series for? Same applies to characters like Saki too.

Just look at the threads that have been made on this forum, a majority are just bumps from over five years ago with the same arguments. The same expectations players had are still here now. Some people learned that things won't always go your way and learn to like what they get while others will selfishly whine and curse the creator of the game. If these characters had so much star power we would see some indication of a revival or they would have been in Brawl. Either way it really doesn't matter to me, I have no problem just liking who I get. Because a character from my favorite franchise doesn't get in doesn't mean I'm not going to continue to love it or it will cease to exist.
Curse the creator? Wow... I think we just discovered the source of Sakurai's ailment... he was cursed by butthurt fans.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
EDIT: look at his merits, does this seem like some faker that's trying to mess with his fellow fans?

Ex-Staff Member, Site Helper, Graphical Artist, Member of 5+ years.

What more do you need to see why I see this leak as legitimate? :confused:
Implying he can't?
Merits doesn't equal crud with leaks.

It'd be like if Venus made one that's obviously trolling. Well, but I guess we should believe it.

All I'm saying is people love to make a good troll post every now and then.
Heck, we've done it ourselves...

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Implying he can't?
Merits doesn't equal crud with leaks.

It'd be like if Venus made one that's obviously trolling. Well, but I guess we should believe it.

All I'm saying is people love to make a good troll post every now and then.
Heck, we've done it ourselves...
But a mod has never made a leak (Excluding Bk and Swampsaur, it was before they were mods)
It's entirely possible, I just want you guys to know why I view it as more credible is all. You guys make is sound like I shouldn't at all. I mean, lets say Chaos_Zero (I know he doesn't) leaked some more information. You'd view his leak with a higher regard wouldn't you? Same for CAW evolution, who you guys seem to have vouched for many times. It doesn't work one way but not the other.

D

Deleted member

But a mod has never made a leak (Excluding Bk and Swampsaur, it was before they were mods)
It's entirely possible, I just want you guys to know why I view it as more credible is all. You guys make is sound like I shouldn't at all. I mean, lets say Chaos_Zero (I know he doesn't) leaked some more information. You'd view his leak with a higher regard wouldn't you? Same for CAW evolution, who you guys seem to have vouched for many times. It doesn't work one way but not the other.
No I wouldn't. I take all leaks with a truck of salt, sure sometimes I have some crow on the side, but I'd rather have crow then believe a leak that is more than likely fake.

So if there are 48 characters, and 4 cuts, I will eat crow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
No I wouldn't. I take all leaks with a truck of salt, sure sometimes I have some crow on the side, but I'd rather have crow then believe a leak that is more than likely fake.
Really? Fair enough. I understand why you'd view it like that since everybody is "faceless" and can easily lie on the great wide net. I don't see any as automatically real per say, I just have more faith in leak's mentioned by people that can be more trustworthy, like Mods/Ex-mods.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
His reputation as a mod would be ruined if they shared their own false info. :p
Just think of the possibilities.
He will simply claim he's been lied too. Or, maybe, he doesn't care about his reputation, because it's just an account on a forum. It's not a real thing.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's an example.
What I'm getting at is we shouldn't just specialize a leak because someone notable made them.
Heck, even when they did we still took it with a grain of salt.

That's the thing.

We'd trust Chaos_Zero or CAW cause we've seen their work.
They were legit. They actually had info. They proved us wrong to judge them.
So, my question is, why wouldn't we?

This is just some guy who's well known on some MKWii forum.
He's never had any leaking background, he's never shown to have any info.
It's just some vague post he made. Nothing more.
I don't see a reason to trust him.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

Lol, MKW. That site is the main Mario Kart forum, sure, but it's nothing to take any more seriously. I've been a member of that site since early 2009. Mods and reputation don't really go together. Being a mod or even the admin on that sitemeans next to nothing. Especially RosaX. He's a nice guy, but always seemed to be the attention-seeking type.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Lol, MKW. That site is the main Mario Kart forum, sure, but it's nothing to take any more seriously. I've been a member of that site since early 2009. Mods and reputation don't really go together. Being a mod or even the admin on that sitemeans next to nothing. Especially RosaX. He's a nice guy, but always seemed to be the attention-seeking type.
Really?
How so?
(This is relevant. Attention-seeking is a good motive to fake a leak...)

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Stating that there will be cuts kind of makes me not believe it, as Sakurai's trying to bring everyone back, so I'd imagine they would continue trying to until the end of development.
Exactly. We wouldn't know how many cut there will be until end of the development because Sakurai would only cut characters due to time constrictions. We will know the real leaks like 1-3 months before release date, so buckle up and get ready for a long ride.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Exactly. We wouldn't know how many cut there will be until end of the development because Sakurai would only cut characters due to time constrictions. We will know the real leaks like 1-3 months before release date, so buckle up and get ready for a long ride.
I'm not sure if I'm so confident in that aspect. We have had one interview from Sakurai sometime in the past few months stating that the game had entered the balancing phase. That being true, wouldn't it make more sense that the devs wait until the character development work has stabilized to start really smoothing out the balance? I'm sure they'll want to test as many matchups as they can manage during the time remaining before the game goes gold. In that sense, any time spent balancing a character that is unfinished or particularly suspect for cutting will end up being time wasted. Of course, this is all just conjecture on our parts, and there's nothing to say that a completed character couldn't be cut during balancing if they turned out to be particularly offensive; another Meta-Knight, for example. Just something to consider.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I know this isn't the place, but thinking about these rumors or leaks makes me think about all the stuff we don't know about the game. We see updates every morning and they're new to us, but to the dev team it could have been around for months - for them it's normal to see Ridley co-op with Luigi in adventure mode. Hell, Little Mac could have been around since E3 and we only knew about him a month ago. Like a lot of stuff we want exists already and we don't even know - That makes me excited, which is why I think we like leaks so much. They help us fantasize a bit more .

T

Trick or Treat

Really?
How so?
(This is relevant. Attention-seeking is a good motive to fake a leak...)
This probably ruins my credibility, but honestly I could just tell. By seeing the way he talked to people, it just really gave off that he was looking for attention. I don't remember any specific incidents, but yeah. Take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not necessarily saying he's lying or whatever, I'm just stating that for future reference, being a staff member, or well-respected on that site means absolutely nothing. Probably less than nothing because the staff and regular members are just filled with so much incompetence and so many trolls, lol.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
At this point, the best thing we can do right now is just keep an eye on what happens with Mario Kart. If he gets any (or all) of that information correct, then we can believe he has a source and start paying attention, until then we can't really treat it with much more clout then the other rumors.

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
At this point, the best thing we can do right now is just keep an eye on what happens with Mario Kart. If he gets any (or all) of that information correct, then we can believe he has a source and start paying attention, until then we can't really treat it with much more clout then the other rumors.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Oh, and I think the thread got deleted.... Did anyone get any of the MK information? It will be hard to see if he's correct now if we don't have it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Stating that there will be cuts kind of makes me not believe it, as Sakurai's trying to bring everyone back, so I'd imagine they would continue trying to until the end of development.
Well, the rumor did state that 4 characters were cut from Smash, so that could very well just be Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario and Roy, with Mewtwo returning. The way Sakurai talked about cuts in one of the summer interviews also seemed to imply that he views cuts regarding all the characters that's ever been in Smash, as opposed to simply being the Brawl roster.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm totally late but Neogaf is definitely NOT known for fake leaks. If someone says they have insider information the mods will pay close attention to the person and even call them out. Often times if the person can't verify that they're telling the truth they will get banned. Neogaf functions a lot different than gamefaqs or Smashboards. Fake insiders are not the norm.

Also the guy's status on the MK website doesn't make the rumor more legitimate. It just makes it more interesting than a random poster with no history supposedly leaking information. Who knows his motivations for doing it. Could be a situation similar to the translator leak where someone dared them to do it. I'll be unsurprised either way.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I know I'm totally late but Neogaf is definitely NOT known for fake leaks. If someone says they have insider information the mods will pay close attention to the person and even call them out. Often times if the person can't verify that they're telling the truth they will get banned. Neogaf functions a lot different than gamefaqs or Smashboards. Fake insiders are not the norm.
That's exactly the reason why when a leak appears on NeoGAF, I tend to believe it.
Like the supposed Wii Fit Trainer / Animal Crossing Guy / Little Mac / Mii / Pac-Man / Mega Man one, even though it wasn't presented as an actual leak.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
E3 should be the rise of the villains trailer! Have 3 newcomers revealed like K. Rool, Ridley, and someone else (Bowser Jr.?), with the rest of the villain veterans like Ganondorf, Wolf, and "Mewtwo" since he is considered to be a villain.

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
That's exactly the reason why when a leak appears on NeoGAF, I tend to believe it.
Like the supposed Wii Fit Trainer / Animal Crossing Guy / Little Mac / Mii / Pac-Man / Mega Man one, even though it wasn't presented as an actual leak.
Not only that but we know it's a place where tons of famous people post and the mods don't give a ****. If you're out of line your celebrity status means nothing. If they'd ban a famous developer you think they wouldn't bring Mjolnir down on some fake leaker? And because so many developers post, it tends to be a place where legitimate leaks happen often.

Off the top of my head these are some well known posters on Gaf past and present -- many of which I've interacted with myself:

Ronan Farrow (Mia/Woody Allen/ Frank Sinatra's son. Used to post a lot. Asked for a ban because it was consuming too much time. Now works closely with Hilary Clinton and MSNBC)
Gary Whitta (writer of Book of Eli, After Earth)
Frank O'Connor (Worked for Bungie, now heads up 343 Industries which develops Halo)
Cliffy B (Gears of War fame)
Shu Yoshida (President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc)
Geoff Keighley (GameTrailers)
Aisha Tyler (Gamer chick/TV/Comedy personality)
Dennis Dyack (Too Human dev famously banned for being insane)
David Jaffe (Twisted Metal etc. I think he was banned. edit: He was banned but it was a temp ban)
Heather Ann Cambel (Actress/Comedian from Whose Line and SNL)
Angry Joe
Boogie2988
Jim Sterling
Adam Boyes (VP, Publisher & Developer Relations at Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC)
Mark Cerny
Major Nelson (PR head for MS)
Michael Pachter
Jeremiah Slaczka (Creator of Scibblenauts)
Andy MacNamara (Editor in chief of Game Informer)
Jeff Green
Shawn Elliot
Chris Kluwe (NFL kicker, I think he retired from the NFL recently though)
John Cochran (Grumby/Survivor Winner)
Curt Schilling
Jeff Cannata
Sasha Grey. Can't verify this one. (Porn Star, huge gamer, Voices character in SR3, ** supposedly hinted at posting on neogaf***)

Mostly all gaming news outlets have a presence on Neogaf and often cite neogaf as a source for their articles.

Gametrailers actually hired a very prominent gaf member (Wario64) just because he always posted news so fast people questioned if he was a human or not. (He is a human)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more people though. There are tons of notable people on Gaf. It's not the wild west like gamefaqs or to a lesser extent Smashboards. They are trying to uphold a reputation.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Oh, and I think the thread got deleted.... Did anyone get any of the MK information? It will be hard to see if he's correct now if we don't have it.
While the page is dead, I managed to screencap it before it goes to the "this thread doesn't exist" page:

-New System to prevent ultra shortcuts
-Why the Blue Shell wasn't in the E3 demo
-SSB4 number of characters (48 with 4 cuts)
-Indrift
-Maka Wuhu issue
Also, if there was a shortcut, he said that they would patch
Unfortunately, I can only get that page, so if there was anymore information I can't access it.

Last edited:

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Ironically, I'm more interested in anything he had to say Mario Kart 8 wise. I heard rumors that a special 3rd party guest could show up in that game. So I wondered if he gave any credit to that.

As for the Smash rumors... I find 4 cuts to be very odd. But if "cuts" include Melee's cut crew from Brawl, then that makes a lot of sense. But I don't think it does. Either way, we won't know until Smash 4 is out of the hands of Sakurai's team. They aren't going to leak anything. But perhaps someone else will. That's why we have to wait for the game to go Gold or go to NA & EU for language translations.

That is when we'll get leaks, just like Pokemon X & Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom