• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Sakurai said nothing about expecting less newcomers. He said he was less focused on them.
anyway with Namco by his side he has no excuse not to add plenty of newcomers, he needs to let them HELP him balance and itll be all good. Brawl is proof that sakurai should not be balancing on his own.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Seriously, everybody seems to expect 50+ characters now. What's up with that?

Back in the pre-Brawl days, everybody seemed to naturally assume we were getting 40-45. That kind of character jump was unrealistic then, and it's unrealistic now. You can't say "Oh, we got like 18 new guys last time, we'll get that many again, right?". They still have to make all the old characters as well. It wasn't even that many, Toon Link, Lucas and Wolf don't really count.

Don't expect this game to have more than 45 characters; even that's pushing it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only about eight newcomers total with cuts from Brawl, and you shouldn't be either.

Anyway, this is pretty off-topic, so I'll finish by saying: Any leak that tells you you're getting loads of characters is absolutely fake, because it's just not going to happen.

I'd say 14 is reasonable.

36 veterans (including Mewtwo)
Mega Man, Villager, WFT, Rosalina and Little Mac
King K. Rool
Ridley
Palutena
Shulk
Bandanna Dee
Mii
2 retros of your choice (I personally add 2 more for a quartet of Lip, Takamaru, Muddy Mole & Prince Sable, but whatever).
Pac-Man

Not too farfetched. I think Namco's involvement will allow a bigger roster, but I don't expect it. In reality, if you want to keep it safe, remove 1 retro and Bandanna Dee.
Good lord, son, learn to manage your expectations. I hope you're trolling.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
It will be at most 12 newcomers, at least through my roster creations 12 always seemed like the right number to be added. Any higher I feel is too high of expectations.

I don't think this even pertains to rumors or leaks anyways

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
People in the smash community love to get rid of leaks with a lot of characters because 'its too good to be true'... it makes it seem like everyone is expecting sakurai to disappoint us. yeah 50 characters seems like too much but brawls roster was NOT disappointing so I don't expect this one to be either

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
People in the smash community love to get rid of leaks with a lot of characters because 'its too good to be true'... it makes it seem like everyone is expecting sakurai to disappoint us. yeah 50 characters seems like too much but brawls roster was NOT disappointing so I don't expect this one to be either
No, Brawl's roster wasn't disappointing, but try telling that to 2008 Smashboards. Disappointment and misplaced fury abounded, and if people keep thinking we're going to get 50 newcomers, it's going to happen again.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Seriously, everybody seems to expect 50+ characters now. What's up with that?

Back in the pre-Brawl days, everybody seemed to naturally assume we were getting 40-45. That kind of character jump was unrealistic then, and it's unrealistic now. You can't say "Oh, we got like 18 new guys last time, we'll get that many again, right?". They still have to make all the old characters as well. It wasn't even that many, Toon Link, Lucas and Wolf don't really count.

Don't expect this game to have more than 45 characters; even that's pushing it. I wouldn't be surprised if there were only about eight newcomers total with cuts from Brawl, and you shouldn't be either.

Anyway, this is pretty off-topic, so I'll finish by saying: Any leak that tells you you're getting loads of characters is absolutely fake, because it's just not going to happen.

Good lord, son, learn to manage your expectations. I hope you're trolling.
I'm not trolling, that is my personal want list, and I've stated, a more likelier situation is my roster above, with the exception of one retro and subtracting Bandanna Dee or Pac-Man. I expect 45-50 newcomers, but with Namco's involvement, you never know. At least I manage to stay around 48-52. If I added all the characters I REALLY wanted to see, the roster would be 60+. And I refrained from adding characters like Toad, Geno, Saki, Isaac, Dixie, Chrom, Roy and Krystal, all of which I believe are deserving as well. All in all, this is what I want. I can't make a true "expectation" because Sakurai is Sakurai. I'd only really add Mewtwo as a "for sure" in that case.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
No, Brawl's roster wasn't disappointing, but try telling that to 2008 Smashboards. Disappointment and misplaced fury abounded, and if people keep thinking we're going to get 50 newcomers, it's going to happen again.
I agree that some people have too high expectations, but I feel like rosters that have reasonable amounts of characters are even being called 'too good to be true' because everyones gotten their hopes down because of them expecting 50 characters in brawl

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
I think it will get a 44~45 slots. So if you guys are expecting 12~14 newcomers, be prepeared for a lot of cuts.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I can't believe people think Bandana Dee will make it as a newcomer. I like him and all. But no.

At best an Assist Trophy or even a chance to appear when King DeDeDe throws his minions- which actually, come to think of it, did they even show Waddle Dees, Gordos and Waddle Doos yet? I don't recall..

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
I believe we'll get 50 characters at the absolute maximum. I'm expecting less than that though...maybe 46-48, total. I immediately don't trust any leak at all that has a roster over 50.

Also, just to chat about that 2 AT leak...it claims there is proof of the two different final smashes within Megaman's trailer. Any insight onto what that could be? 'Cause if I'm not mistaken, there isn't even a hint of a final smash in that video...like you don't even see any character with the FS aura around them, even. Clearly seems like a load of bunk to me, unless I'm totally blind.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I agree that some people have too high expectations, but I feel like rosters that have reasonable amounts of characters are even being called 'too good to be true' because everyones gotten their hopes down because of them expecting 50 characters in brawl
In reality, I wouldn't be disappointed if we had less newcomers. If they're unique, the game is well-made, and at least 3/5 of my Top 5 made it in (Mega Man and Little Mac are already in, come on, King K. Rool/Ridley/Bandanna Dee...), plus most veterans return as well as Mewtwo, I'll be happy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Brawl had a great roster and it covered most of the bases. The fact that we got 18 newcomers with arguably 15 of them being highly demanded characters was pretty generous of Sakurai. I seriously doubt we'll get as many this time around but I think he'll do a decent jobs of hitting most of the high spots.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
h-happy 500 pages of:

MOD EDIT: Please don't post huge pictures without a spoiler tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
which actually, come to think of it, did they even show Waddle Dees, Gordos and Waddle Doos yet? I don't recall..
After a bit of research, I can determine that they have not.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seriously. The words ''Expect less newcomers" never came out of Sakurai's mouth. You're reading into and interpreting his words like pros my friends.

He spoke on the state of the more you add to the game, the harder it is to balance, but he never once said ''Therefore I will be adding less newbies this time around."

D

Deleted member

I'm expecting at least 12 newcomers. Thats my final answer.

I'll take my 1mil when I'm right.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Seriously. The words ''Expect less newcomers" never came out of Sakurai's mouth. You're reading into and interpreting his words like pros my friends.

He spoke on the state of the more you add to the game, the harder it is to balance, but he never once said ''Therefore I will be adding less newbies this time around."
"Sakurai will focus on gameplay more than he will on the sheer volume of content." Apparently he said something to this extent, and that's what people are referring to.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

But its totally implied that there won't be as many. So with leaks that have a lot of newcomers you really can't expect them to be true. Also since there really aren't too many more Nintendo characters deserving of a spot they are kinda running out of material... If they add so many characters then we would be seeing leaks with characters like goomba or dunsparce.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
"Sakurai will focus on gameplay more than he will on the sheer volume of content." Apparently he said something to this extent, and that's what people are referring to.
And then in a PotD he countered that by saying they were polishing and adding content to make it filled with content.

Honestly at this point. I think middle ground is what to expect. Not too much more than Brawl. Not less than Brawl.

Both sides are probably wrong.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
And then in a PotD he countered that by saying they were polishing and adding content to make it filled with content.

Honestly at this point. I think middle ground is what to expect. Not too much more than Brawl. Not less than Brawl.

Both sides are probably wrong.
I agree with you there. Every time a newcomer is revealed, I go off the assumption that them, and the ones revealed so far are the only ones we're getting, so I'm not disappointed.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Right but I think people are keeping their expectations low as to alleviate any wanton butthurt when the final roster is revealed.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
id like to remind everyone that your opinion on the number of newcomers does not impact weather or not a leak is fake

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A quick warning, I understand the connection between roster sizes and these "leaks," but you're sitting right on that line of getting off-topic. Just a news flash.

Brawl had a great roster and it covered most of the bases. The fact that we got 18 newcomers with arguably 15 of them being highly demanded characters was pretty generous of Sakurai. I seriously doubt we'll get as many this time around but I think he'll do a decent jobs of hitting most of the high spots.
Pretty much this. Basically, if Brawl's best newcomers weren't all shown off in quick succession pre-release, I think people would have been far more satisfied with the roster than they were. The unlockable newcomers, aside from the third parties, were two semi-clones, obvious (and leaked) Lucario, and at-the-time hated shock character R.O.B. The approach that's being taken right now is basically a way to avoid this sort of disappointment.

That being said, I imagine, if close to release, we're left with just whoever's left over from the E3 Leak, plus a handful of retros and semi-clones, the disappointment will be similar. The current approach requires satisfactory characters to be left hidden in order to function, and if it's just Mewtwo and a handful of lessers, it'll fizzle IMO.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A quick warning, I understand the connection between roster sizes and these "leaks," but you're sitting right on that line of getting off-topic. Just a news flash.
Ah. Pardon me, that was not my intention. But it is true that roster sizes have something to do with leaks. For example, it's rather easy to discredit a leak if they claim upwards of 20 newcomers in the game, at least in my opinion. Which is why I don't see why some of these leaks try to do just that, and pass themselves off as legitimate.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
What Tim officially said was-

Newcomers:
+Paper Mario
+Dixie Kong
+Vaati
+Mewtwo
+Bandanna Dee
+Ridley
+Black Shadow
+Palutena
+Hades
+Shulk
+Isaac
+Chibi-Robo
+Chrom
+Takamaru
+Lip
+Prince Sable
+Donbe & Hikari
+King Mii
+Pac Man

---

Everything after OP's 1st post is not the same guy.
what about the release date

also anything less the 12 newcomers will make this feel like an expansion, yes the other stuff is good but the characters is what attracts people to the game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Found this while looking for leaks, I've never seen this one discussed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This was posted before Rosalina's reveal, but it comes across as photoshopped, thanks to that convenient listing off of the Assist Trophies in the order the first three were revealed. I'd not mind it being true, of course, but yeah.

Also, even more tellingly, this mentions the Palutena leak, and yet allegedly takes place on a date before that leak even happened. Add it to the scrap heap with the rest of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

what about the release date

also anything less the 12 newcomers will make this feel like an expansion, yes the other stuff is good but the characters is what attracts people to the game
I don't necessarily agree. Even if we only get around 9 newcomers, it's still a healthy amount, and probably enough to attract people to the game, if they weren't already for Mega Man or their favorite characters alone. Take in the fact that there'll be new stages, gameplay mechanics, items, and maybe new gamemodes, it'll be more than enough to make up for a smaller amount of newcomers IMO.

Realistically I would only expect around 10 characters. It would make for a healthy roster with a lot of variety, especially if they're unique and well designed. Quality over quantity my friend.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I found it on a gamefaqs post a few weeks ago, i saved it and forgot to post it up. Was cleaning up my computer and found it.
A few weeks ago certainly conveys a different message than the date that post shows. Although that's irrelevant. Do you perhaps remember the date the post you found this in was made?

Didn't the Palutena leak happen AFTER the supposed posting date?

Big oversight.
ohyeahthere'sthattoo

Last edited:

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom