• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hey, they have to save the sinking ship.
Sinking ship or not, GTA V had a marketing campaign that was much bigger than that, and that game made a billion dollars in an insanely fast.

Quite frankly with Smash and Mario Kart likely having similar marketing efforts, it would definitely pay Nintendo off tenfold to put about $25 million into marketing them.

Also, I'm speaking at a GLOBAL level, not a national level. On top of that, this is only the plan thus far. That amount of money could vastly increase.
I'm guessing that goes to the HD graphics. There's a reason why most indies go for old-school graphical styles. The models take more man hours to make and compile.
Yeah that CGI is gorgeous, and Nintendo paid for it in order to make the Wii U look as good as any game out there on the market. I can't say I blame them, especially considering how much each of the 5 newcomer's trailers has suckered me in!!! :rotfl:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
He is referring to advertisement budget only, which alone is more than Skyward Sword's development budget.
Well game advertising has gotten more expensive as the audience for games is no longer reading (just) magazines. I wonder how much a single Bus side poster costs...

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Sinking ship or not, GTA V had a marketing campaign that was much bigger than that, and that game made a billion dollars in an insanely fast.

Quite frankly with Smash and Mario Kart likely having similar marketing efforts, it would definitely pay Nintendo off tenfold to put about $25 million into marketing them.

Also, I'm speaking at a GLOBAL level, not a national level. On top of that, this is only the plan thus far. That amount of money could vastly increase.

Yeah that CGI is gorgeous, and Nintendo paid for it in order to make the Wii U look as good as any game out there on the market. I can't say I blame them, especially considering how much each of the 5 newcomer's trailers has suckered me in!!! :rotfl:
Does your source have any other information pertaining to Smash?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He is referring to advertisement budget only, which alone is more than Skyward Sword's development budget.
No I am talking promotional budget, which includes trailers and promos in it, which likely Nintendo probably dropped at least 2 or 3 million on the trailers we've seen thus far.

It could also include E3 costs and the costs of promoting the game at conventions at whatnot (which a booth that size for Smash at E3 last year likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Also, Skyward Sword was a game made for a very low price. It's graphics were cheap to make, the gameplay implementations were cheap to make, and the marketing was minimal (which is a big reason why it didn't sell as well as it could have).

The 3DS really caught fire when the games came, but with those games came huge money into promotions. Kid Icarus: Uprising had a fairly big promotional deal, for example.

If you really believe in something though, you gotta promote it.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Don't...lie...to me.

One, neither thread brought up Wii Fit Trainer specifically, they mentioned "the female trainer from Wii Fit" and "a Wii Fit character," respectively. Two, neither of them was an E3 2013 reveal prediction, which is what I had asked for here. The fact that they were also four-post joke threads from 2008 on GameFAQs also leads me to believe they were about as utterly insignificant as you can get.

Thanks for playing!
Ok so if I understand you correctly, no one requested Wii Fit Trainer in the few days leading up to E3, so despite people asking for her up until that point, it's impossible to guess Wii Fit Trainer. Seems legit.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Ok so if I understand you correctly, no one requested Wii Fit Trainer in the few days leading up to E3, so despite people asking for her up until that point, it's impossible to guess Wii Fit Trainer. Seems legit.
Besides, bringing up that everyone else called her "the female trainer" is irrelevant, because he said "Animal Crossing Guy" instead of Villager

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
No I am talking promotional budget, which includes trailers and promos in it, which likely Nintendo probably dropped at least 2 or 3 million on the trailers we've seen thus far.

It could also include E3 costs and the costs of promoting the game at conventions at whatnot (which a booth that size for Smash at E3 last year likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Also, Skyward Sword was a game made for a very low price. It's graphics were cheap to make, the gameplay implementations were cheap to make, and the marketing was minimal (which is a big reason why it didn't sell as well as it could have).

The 3DS really caught fire when the games came, but with those games came huge money into promotions. Kid Icarus: Uprising had a fairly big promotional deal, for example.

If you really believe in something though, you gotta promote it.
I bought Kid Icarus exlusively because of the huge Nintendo Power article with the AR cards and the adds made it look so cool. It is my favorite 3DS so far now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Me, now: "Brash the Bear from Donkey Kong Country 3 would be a cool character."

*7 months later*

You: People were asking for Brash the Bear up until that point! People could have guessed!"

You do realize that's basically what you're saying happened, right?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Does your source have any other information pertaining to Smash?
For starters, my "source" is a prominent poster on here (he may or may not read this), and he probably isn't afraid to hide himself.

Other people heard this as well, but I would prefer they not vouch for me. This includes the moderator(s) that may know.

Also, like I said, my source leaked that 75M was in Brawl, which was the only stage not leaked early in Brawl (by any other source).

As for the rest of the information my source has, he knows a person or two at Game Arts, and says they aren't involved with the game (likely). Also, that according to them, that Miis/Pac-Man/Little Mac/Mega Man/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager leak is probably legit (the person isn't working on the game who told him that), and that the Palutena leak is probably legit as well.

Of course, like I said, all of that is from outsider sources this time around (but previously insider sources). They also told me that according to them, the Palutena leak is likely legit, although I don't recall them mentioning anything about their Game Arts sources (or HAL Laboratories sources that I think they also have) on that.
Well game advertising has gotten more expensive as the audience for games is no longer reading (just) magazines. I wonder how much a single Bus side poster costs...
There's also the difference between on say just buses in a state vs. buses in entire countries.

Also, alas, Nintendo doesn't want to win just Japan, America, or Europe, but all of the gaming world.
I bought Kid Icarus exlusively because of the huge Nintendo Power article with the AR cards and the adds made it look so cool. It is my favorite 3DS so far now.
An example of what a several million dollar promotion can do. Nintendo spent a lot of money promoting Mario Kart Wii, and it was a monstrous success.

It probably made Nintendo like 2-4 billion in revenue (including Wii's bought for that game). That's what Nintendo is hoping for (best case scenario) likely for Smash Wii U (maybe a smaller version of that for Smash 3DS) and Mario Kart 8. Worst case scenario is both games likely add up to making about that much combined IMO.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
For starters, my "source" is a prominent poster on here (he may or may not read this), and he probably isn't afraid to hide himself.

Other people heard this as well, but I would prefer they not vouch for me. This includes the moderator(s) that may know.

Also, like I said, my source leaked that 75M was in Brawl, which was the only stage not leaked early in Brawl (by any other source).

As for the rest of the information my source has, he knows a person or two at Game Arts, and says they aren't involved with the game (likely). Also, that according to them, that Miis/Pac-Man/Little Mac/Mega Man/Wii Fit Trainer/Villager leak is probably legit (the person isn't working on the game who told him that), and that the Palutena leak is probably legit as well.

Of course, like I said, all of that is from outsider sources this time around (but previously insider sources). They also told me that according to them, the Palutena leak is likely legit, although I don't recall them mentioning anything about their Game Arts sources (or HAL Laboratories sources that I think they also have) on that.
All this sounds fishy to me.
...I'd like to see this source. If that's okay with you...

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
He's right though. Sakurai couldn't have edited that stage right before E3 just because he didn't feel like showing off Little Mac yet. That would have been a lot of work to get done fast before E3, which I'm sure puts stress on all of the developers. If Little Mac was supposed to be shown at E3 but was pushed back... they probably wouldn't have had time to change the stage under short notice and would've just kept the stage secret.

There's also the difference between on say just buses in a state vs. buses in entire countries.

Also, alas, Nintendo doesn't want to win just Japan, America, or Europe, but all of the gaming world.

An example of what a several million dollar promotion can do. Nintendo spent a lot of money promoting Mario Kart Wii, and it was a monstrous success.

It probably made Nintendo like 2-4 billion in revenue (including Wii's bought for that game). That's what Nintendo is hoping for (best case scenario) likely for Smash Wii U (maybe a smaller version of that for Smash 3DS) and Mario Kart 8. Worst case scenario is both games likely add up to making about that much combined IMO.
Why are the trailer not in theaters? And Nintendo doesn't seem interested in winning anything. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sm4sh is reaching two years development in a month.
If that isn't "far into development", then i don't know what is.
I'd agree with this if we had 1 game instead of 2. So far both games have clipping issues, Smash 3DS looks a year away at least, Smash Wii U still needs quite a bit of fixing up, and we've seen basically nothing of the gameplay.
We also don't know the release date, for all we know it could be in june.
It won't be in June, and if it was, we would have had it announced. Mario Kart comes out in late May. Also, what kind of genius marketer would release their 2 biggest titles on the year within a month of each other=??? That's crazy.

If hypothetically you were right, let's compare these 2 games to Brawl. That's in 4 months.

With Brawl about 3 months out (with the Japanese release), we had about 3 hours of E For All footage recorded and 1 hour of footage from 2 other conventions. We also had about 1/2 an hour of trailers and teasers released on the Dojo, and about 1/2 an hour of gameplay from E3 from everyone that isn't IGN, and from E3 on we had (exclusive or near exclusive) about 1 hour of footage from IGN. That's 6 hours of footage.

And if you doubt me on the footage, I have all of the remaining videos on a playlist on my YouTube channel. Sadly, most of said videos were taken down by Nintendo beforehand (namely from the other conventions after E For All 2007), and cannot be found anymore on the web. :(

I contributed it all on the thread @--- made that is sticky'd in the general Smash Wii U (and 3DS), and it should be there. ;)

===

Anyways, in comparison, with Smash 3DS we've seen 15 seconds of gameplay footage TOPS. With Smash Wii U we've seen around 5 minutes of gameplay.

6 hours > 5 minutes > 15 seconds. So yeah... let's not get too crazy yet.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Question guys. There's no doubt that some rumours are dead because Little Mac was shown, but how many just missed when a character was revealed and is dead because of that..? I know Salromano is one..
theres no "rules" to leaks being true or false based on if the date they "call" happens or not.

the ONLY thing we are trying to figure out here is if the person does have information about the game OR if they do not and made it up.

IF a leaker however says "my insider information is that this character will be revealed on this date because sakurai pre-plans the reveals" and then the character is NOT revealed the leaker probably was faking his information.

Sal Romano however, said his info was second hand and was assuming they would be shown at E3 as thats where his "insider" saw the characters he told him about.

I just don't like people shooting down leaks due to technicalities or some made up "rules" about all this. Sal Romano was wrong to assume the characters would be revealed at E3, whether or nopt this makes the "leak" wrong on these technical rules we've made up is irrelevant, fact is Sal Romano is still probably RIGHT because his information was probably actually information he simply assumed when wrong. this doesn't mean his insider doesn't exist and he made it all up. Seriously his leak is SO unguessable (Wii Fit Trainer) we need to start using common sense and not RULES on what leaks are "alive" or "dead" because all we are trying to find out is information about the game NOT just seeing what leaks pass our made up tests on if they are "alive" or "dead".

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
I'd agree with this if we had 1 game instead of 2. So far both games have clipping issues, Smash 3DS looks a year away at least, Smash Wii U still needs quite a bit of fixing up, and we've seen basically nothing of the gameplay.

It won't be in June, and if it was, we would have had it announced. Mario Kart comes out in late May. Also, what kind of genius marketer would release their 2 biggest titles on the year within a month of each other=??? That's crazy.

If hypothetically you were right, let's compare these 2 games to Brawl. That's in 4 months.

With Brawl about 3 months out (with the Japanese release), we had about 3 hours of E For All footage recorded and 1 hour of footage from 2 other conventions. We also had about 1/2 an hour of trailers and teasers released on the Dojo, and about 1/2 an hour of gameplay from E3 from everyone that isn't IGN, and from E3 on we had (exclusive or near exclusive) about 1 hour of footage from IGN. That's 6 hours of footage.

And if you doubt me on the footage, I have all of the remaining videos on a playlist on my YouTube channel. Sadly, most of said videos were taken down by Nintendo beforehand (namely from the other conventions after E For All 2007), and cannot be found anymore on the web. :(

I contributed it all on the thread @--- made that is sticky'd in the general Smash Wii U (and 3DS), and it should be there. ;)

===

Anyways, in comparison, with Smash 3DS we've seen 15 seconds of gameplay footage TOPS. With Smash Wii U we've seen around 5 minutes of gameplay.

6 hours > 5 minutes > 15 seconds. So yeah... let's not get too crazy yet.
I still expect it to hit 2014; By the time it is 2015 it might be too late.

VermilionBird

Smash Cadet
On an unrelated note, three vets inbetween Rosalina and Mac. So if three more vets are inbetween Mac and the next newcomer, then we can probably expect a pattern.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I agree. It must be released this year if Nintendo actually hope to "save" the Wii U (by save, I mean make it sell at least decently). They also should release the Wii U version at least one or two months before the 3DS version or else the 3DS game will likely "eat" a lot of the console version sales.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why are the trailer not in theaters? And Nintendo doesn't seem interested in winning anything. I'm sorry.
The only video game trailers I've ever heard of being in movie theaters were Halo 3 (I think) and MGS IV (that I'm sure of). That's it.

Also, $22.5 million is nothing (especially to Nintendo, who has probably $14 billion in cash and short-term investments and short-term receivables right now).

Here's a GTA V quote from Wikipedia on development and marketing budget(s) (click here for the link).
Wikipedia said:
Media analyst Arvind Bhatia estimated the development budget for the game exceeded US$137 million, and The Scotsman reporter Marty McLaughlin estimated that the combined budget of the development and marketing efforts exceeded £170 million (US$265 million), which would make Grand Theft Auto V the most expensive video game ever made.
Roughly $265 million - Roughly $137 million = Roughly $128 million.

My source told me Smash would have a $22.5 million (or $23.5 million) budget.

If you're telling me Smash can't have a advertising/marketing budget of (roughly a little over) $100 million less than that you are a fool.

And if you don't think they wanna win, then you're just being an anti-fanboy or a troll.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Wait... The guy who leaked the 3 characters at E3 was the one who leaked the MVC3 roster?
Well, I'd like to point you to BlazBlue. The same guy leaked info saying that the characters Relius Clover and Kokonoe were to be made as new playable characters with Relius revealed first and then Kokonoe following. Relius was indeed made playable but Kokonoe wasnt announced as playable until the next major installment. My point is, no one could have predicted Relius because he was scarcely seen in the game, but his Kokonoe prediction was wrong (with about 6 characters in between his leak and her reveal). His track record is fairly split, he gets a HECK of a lot of stuff dead on, but there are a few instances where he is wrong (Kokonoe standing as evidence).
Dont ask for a source unless you want me to scour the BlazBlue Wiki looking for a link, that could take forever...
Are you referring to Lupinko, the guy that leaked the entire roster for MvC3?

Lupinko was also responsible for leaking out the Mortal Kombat 9 and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 roster as well.

Back on topic, seeing that Little Mac is the first character to be transitioned from assist trophy to playable character, did any of the other leaks mention which other characters who were assist in brawl have a chance to be as a playable character in SSB Wii U and 3DS?

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But the actual issueas of CoroCoro are leaked weeks before they are released.
This is true. Sheik's CoroCoro leak came early. Actually we had several CoroCoro (and I think Famitsu) leaks of (exclusive) photos early.
No Nintendo does stupid screw ups too.

Jigglypuff, Lucario and Ness were all accidentally leaked in a trailer Pre-Brawl.

That's a ridiculous amount of derp.
Not only that, but Brawl's opening which featured Marth and Ness in it was leaked about 2 days after that.

Oh, and Nintendo has let Jigglypuff get leaked 2 games in a row. With Melee, Miyamoto accidentally leaked her in an interview (talking about Nintendo characters returning), and David Hayter (the American voice actor for Solid Snake) did the same thing in Brawl before that. Both of these were about 3 or 4 months before both games' releases.

Oh, and Eiji Anouma (the head guy of the Zelda series) leaked that he let Sakurai borrow (modified) models for not just Link, but Zelda, Sheik (an unused model mind you), and Ganondorf in Brawl (from Twilight Princess, although with some modifications) in February of 2007, a few weeks shy of a full year before Brawl was released.

Also, this may or may not be a "leak", but Nintendo flashed up an image of Donkey Kong in Brawl at E3 before he was confirmed on the Dojo, lol. I can't believe it took a full year to confirm Donkey Kong.

And again, the entire Melee and Brawl roster name list was leaked in advance. Brawl's roster got leaked in 3 waves (first just the Pokémon, then most of the roster, then all of it), and Melee's roster got leaked a few days before release (people thought "Roy" was "Roy Koopa", lmao! It was like a prelude to Mario Kart 8). :rotfl:

So far Nintendo seems to care a looottttttt less about it, given Sakurai seemingly referring to the Palutena leak, Sakurai not shying away from the Wii Fit Trainer's confirmation, Sakurai having a Punch-Out!! stage that was super obviously a Punch-Out!! stage confirmed for 10 months before Little Mac's reveal (only people without experience thought he wasn't going to be in), as well as the Find Mii stage existing.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All this sounds fishy to me.
...I'd like to see this source. If that's okay with you...
Why would I put my name on the line for a lie=??? I've got a reputation to uphold, and besides that, none of this is shocking news.

And alas, Game Arts isn't an insider source anymore. They made only Brawl. They aren't working on this game. The source is nice to have, but it's not a be all, end all source. Literally all my source got from one or more person who works or worked for them was their OPINION on the E3 leak (maybe the Palutena leak as well, but I never asked).

Honestly it's not hard to get in touch with the people at Game Arts (or even HAL Laboratories) anymore. Twitter exists, and a lot of them are on it and not afraid to talk about previous games' development, especially Brawl since Game Arts has no more associations with Nintendo.
If either game gets released in 2014, the only time to release it is in Q4. Until Q4, Nintendo is going to be selling us Zelda and Mario Wii U hype, Smash Wii U hype, and the leftovers of the hype from DKC Tropical Freeze, Yoshi Yarn, and especially Mario Kart 8.

Still, Nintendo wants a 2014 release, but if the don't get it, they won't get killed by it. I say this because the X1 and PS4 are also in terrible shapes. Seriously, all 3 of these consoles have terrible libraries for their lifespan. What were any of them thinking with their home console launches=???

VermilionBird

Smash Cadet
This is true. Sheik's CoroCoro leak came early. Actually we had several CoroCoro (and I think Famitsu) leaks of (exclusive) photos early.

Not only that, but Brawl's opening which featured Marth and Ness in it was leaked about 2 days after that.

Oh, and Nintendo has let Jigglypuff get leaked 2 games in a row. With Melee, Miyamoto accidentally leaked her in an interview (talking about Nintendo characters returning), and David Hayter (the American voice actor for Solid Snake) did the same thing in Brawl before that. Both of these were about 3 or 4 months before both games' releases.

Oh, and Eiji Anouma (the head guy of the Zelda series) leaked that he let Sakurai borrow (modified) models for not just Link, but Zelda, Sheik (an unused model mind you), and Ganondorf in Brawl (from Twilight Princess, although with some modifications) in February of 2007, a few weeks shy of a full year before Brawl was released.

Also, this may or may not be a "leak", but Nintendo flashed up an image of Donkey Kong in Brawl at E3 before he was confirmed on the Dojo, lol. I can't believe it took a full year to confirm Donkey Kong.

And again, the entire Melee and Brawl roster name list was leaked in advance. Brawl's roster got leaked in 3 waves (first just the Pokémon, then most of the roster, then all of it), and Melee's roster got leaked a few days before release (people thought "Roy" was "Roy Koopa", lmao! It was like a prelude to Mario Kart 8). :rotfl:

So far Nintendo seems to care a looottttttt less about it, given Sakurai seemingly referring to the Palutena leak, Sakurai not shying away from the Wii Fit Trainer's confirmation, Sakurai having a Punch-Out!! stage that was super obviously a Punch-Out!! stage confirmed for 10 months before Little Mac's reveal (only people without experience thought he wasn't going to be in), as well as the Find Mii stage existing.
Didn't Sakurai let slip that Captain Falcon is coming back (not that there's any doubt) in an interview? He mentioned the Falcon Punch

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If either game gets released in 2014, the only time to release it is in Q4. Until Q4, Nintendo is going to be selling us Zelda and Mario Wii U hype, Smash Wii U hype, and the leftovers of the hype from DKC Tropical Freeze, Yoshi Yarn, and especially Mario Kart 8.

Still, Nintendo wants a 2014 release, but if the don't get it, they won't get killed by it. I say this because the X1 and PS4 are also in terrible shapes. Seriously, all 3 of these consoles have terrible libraries for their lifespan. What were any of them thinking with their home console launches=???
I think that its getting released shortly after E3. Probably end of June-July imo. They would just be feeding off of the E3 hype at that point. They would release tons of info on the most highly requested game. People like me can't wait to get their hands on it right now. I know not everyone is like me but once they release information on gameplay, have an e3 demo, and give more info on 3ds connectivity then everyone is going to want to buy it immediately. I don't see why they would wait another six months to release the game if its supposedly so close to being done. Immediate gratification is whats going to sell the game the most. Q4 is when they will release the other games they announce at e3 just like Mario 3d World.

relisthain

Smash Apprentice
Question. Would Sakurai mentioning Cap. Falcon be considered a leak? If so should it be put in the op?
(edit)
Because he was using it as an example and the captain hasn't been officially announced yet? Or would we count it as an unofficial announcement?

Last edited:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Me, now: "Brash the Bear from Donkey Kong Country 3 would be a cool character."

*7 months later*

You: People were asking for Brash the Bear up until that point! People could have guessed!"

You do realize that's basically what you're saying happened, right?
Yes, I realize that saying a character would be cool in Smash is just that. And that people did that with Wii Fit Trainer. Having a character that isn't requested much does not equal impossible to predict/guess.

Besides, bringing up that everyone else called her "the female trainer" is irrelevant, because he said "Animal Crossing Guy" instead of Villager
Exactly!

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think that its getting released shortly after E3. Probably end of June-July imo. They would just be feeding off of the E3 hype at that point.
People said that with Brawl. The game came out about 7 months later.

Also, at roughly 3 months out from Brawl's release, we had the entire roster leaked (twice), 11 of the 17 newcomers revealed, and 12 of the 22 veterans confirmed, for 23 total characters. That's how many we're at now, and this roster is undoubtedly at least 6 characters bigger. Unless you confirm like 20 characters in 5 months (that's about 1 a week), you wanna ease your way into it.
Immediate gratification is whats going to sell the game the most.
Striking the market when it's hottest is what works. A release date from anywhere from September to November is that date, and with no real competition obvious from Sony and Microsoft (maybe Uncharted 4 [different audience] and maybe Halo 5 [different audience]), it's the prime time to strike.
Q4 is when they will release the other games they announce at e3 just like Mario 3d World.
The only other big Nintendo game I see getting released in Q4 possibly is Yarn Yoshi (nothing compared to Smash) and NEW SMB 4 or 5 or whatever the heck it is now.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why would I put my name on the line for a lie=??? I've got a reputation to uphold, and besides that, none of this is shocking news.

And alas, Game Arts isn't an insider source anymore. They made only Brawl. They aren't working on this game. The source is nice to have, but it's not a be all, end all source. Literally all my source got from one or more person who works or worked for them was their OPINION on the E3 leak (maybe the Palutena leak as well, but I never asked).

Honestly it's not hard to get in touch with the people at Game Arts (or even HAL Laboratories) anymore. Twitter exists, and a lot of them are on it and not afraid to talk about previous games' development, especially Brawl since Game Arts has no more associations with Nintendo.
It's just the skeptic in me.
But, if anything, it's still a guess. Even from Game Arts, it still doesn't make the leaks true.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I am the only one still finding it a little surreal that Mac is playable now?
It's kinda surreal how he plays, and honestly, the anticipation for it happening (I saw this being a thing back in 2008 after Brawl was released) finally being "over" like this is awesome.

It reminds me of past anticipations finally being met. Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo being revealed in Melee. Pit (that Melee trophy, lol!), Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, Sonic, King Dedede, and Olimar in Brawl. Now Mega Man and Little Mac in Smash For the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U.

All expected, but I was happy to see all of them! :)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I say it's pretty obvious what I'm saying here. He's jumping the gun on a lot of stuff and assuming he's right even though his premise is faulty. Maybe you could explain to me how an E3 leak means that the leaker is from the E3 presenters (what? How are you defending this) and not the developers. (Why is the leaker only between those two camps? Can't he have received the info from someone else?) Maybe you're right. I just can't seem to follow that logic because it's awfully presumptuous.
The reason you can't follow the logic is because it went over your head. Heck, in the post you both jump point of veiws and have poor flow.

Why was his leak, if he had one, related to the E3 staff and not a developer working on the game. Because his information is specific to E3. If he was working on the game, his knowledge would not be consistent to E3. He, as a developer, would know all or most of the characters. So if he were to leak characters, they would be all over the place. Some would be at E3 and some wouldn't.

In your quotes, you never tried to break down my assumptions. You said I was wrong based solely on the fact that I was assuming some things. Assuming can be bad, but we are talking about a situation with few facts. So thus, we have have to assume somethings. Just saying "you can't assume," tells me you don't have a leg to stand on.
No. From what I understand the guy who leaked the MvC3 roster is saying the E3 leak is legit.
That's not true at all.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Didn't Sakurai let slip that Captain Falcon is coming back (not that there's any doubt) in an interview? He mentioned the Falcon Punch
Yeah, and I think he also let the Ice Climbers slip
Yes to both of these, because he doesn't care anymore. We all know those 2 characters are in, so why not talk about them, lol=???

Heck, that picture Sakurai posted about 2 years ago form his blackboard (which featured unconfirmed characters like Wario, Ness, Mr G&W, etc) shows how little Sakurai cares.

That's honestly why I think Sakurai is gonna show off like a ton of veterans at E3 this year, namely the rest of the unconfirmed original 12.

I mean c'mon! If Sakurai or someone flat out said that any of the characters playable in Melee and Brawl or like any of the Brawl newcomers that aren't the Pokémon Trainer, Snake, ROB, or Wolf, would anyone who has a fully functioning brain be surprised=???

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I mean c'mon! If Sakurai or someone flat out said that any of the characters playable in Melee and Brawl or like any of the Brawl newcomers that aren't the Pokémon Trainer, Snake, ROB, or Wolf, would anyone who has a fully functioning brain be surprised=???
:( I would...

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes, I realize that saying a character would be cool in Smash is just that. And that people did that with Wii Fit Trainer. Having a character that isn't requested much does equal impossible to predict.
I read probably over 40,000 posts before E3 about Smash 4, and none of them ever mentioned the Wii Fit Trainer EXCEPT THAT ONE!!!!

Heck, I didn't even know the Wii Fit Trainer was a character/thing. I thought Sakurai made the character up initially. Then I thought it was a new character debuting in Wii Fit U.

I must say, the Wii Fit Trainer was a lot cooler than the Non-Specific Action Figure character people were suggesting then!!! :rotfl:

===

But yeah, all the people here were arguing over Chrom vs. Lucina vs. Roy vs. Lyn vs. the Avatar character (even though that's not how it works), Zoroark vs. Victini vs. Genesect vs. Gen 6, Palutena vs. Hadees vs. Eggplant Wizard vs. some guy vs. Medusa, Sonic vs. not returning (can't believe people were brain dead enough to think he wouldn't be back), Pac-Man vs. Lloyd Irving vs. Nightmare vs. someone from Tekken, Mega Man vs. Ryu vs. someone from Resident Evil (and I can't believe that was a thing), and in other places it was always worse.

Like Daisy vs. Daisy in her sports outfit (being separate characters) worse. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
People said that with Brawl. The game came out about 7 months later.

Also, at roughly 3 months out from Brawl's release, we had the entire roster leaked (twice), 11 of the 17 newcomers revealed, and 12 of the 22 veterans confirmed, for 23 total characters. That's how many we're at now, and this roster is undoubtedly at least 6 characters bigger. Unless you confirm like 20 characters in 5 months (that's about 1 a week), you wanna ease your way into it.
Sakurai has stated that he's not going to give away as much information before release like he did with brawl. The amount of characters revealed is pretty reasonable to me. 1-2 a month seems fine if you're trying to sustain hype and not give away too much. Brawl gave away characters almost every other week. If we are going to compare this game to brawl then the development time to release should be 2 years and 3 months. June marks the 2 year and 3 month period for a Japanese release. So all the characters could be leaked in March for all we know. There are a lot of variables considering this is a different game.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey, long time viewer of Smash Boards, first time poster.
Just going to pass along some information, after playing a demo of Smash Bros.

The demo didn't have all the characters couldn't play as Rosalina or Lucario it was very confined and limited, the reps reassured me that it was a very small sample of the game.

I played as Mega Man against my brother who was Villager on 3DS's.
Mega Man's final smash uses Rush Armor Upgrade, Villager uses bee's.
We used a couple of assist trophies during the match, Waluigi and Skull Kid.
Waluigi does pretty much the same thing as he did in brawl, and Skull Kid is basically Snorlax with a moon.
At the end of the session, other people playing the demo said they got Paletuna as an assist trophy, but I never saw her.

Sorry was planning on taking a few pictures, but they had a no picture policy, they asked everyone to either put their cell phones to the side of the room on the window ledge, or keep them in our pockets. One guy took his phone out and tried to take a picture and they weren't rude or anything to him but they got kinda up close to him and quickly said "hey no pictures", and they quickly made him show he hadn't taken a picture yet and had to put his phone on the ledge.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I thought the guy who leaked out the entire MvC3 roster was Lupinko.

Lupinko was also responsible for leaking out the Mortal Kombat and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 roster as well.
Yes, Lupinko leaked the MvC3, UMvC3, and MK (2011) roster. What he did in relation to Smash was he backed Sal up on the roster prediction claim. Maybe they got word from someone at E3 (maybe GameSpot or IGN) who got word from someone at Nintendo as to what was going to be shown. These things happen, which is why it's good we have quite a few Smash Boards users going to E3 this year to hopefully get us some leaks! :smirk:
It's just the skeptic in me.
But, if anything, it's still a guess. Even from Game Arts, it still doesn't make the leaks true.
You can be a skeptic, but like I said, Game Arts isn't working on this, so it isn't a leak. It's merely an opinion my source got from a former source of a leak or leaks.

The only leak is the (current) marketing budget, which it was kinda expected to be big considering how great Smash Wii U's trailers look and how much CGI all of them have feature.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
It's kinda surreal how he plays, and honestly, the anticipation for it happening (I saw this being a thing back in 2008 after Brawl was released) finally being "over" like this is awesome.

It reminds me of past anticipations finally being met. Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo being revealed in Melee. Pit (that Melee trophy, lol!), Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, Sonic, King Dedede, and Olimar in Brawl. Now Mega Man and Little Mac in Smash For the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U.

All expected, but I was happy to see all of them! :)
Same here, I just hope they bring Mewtwo back (along with most of the Original 12), I do believe Sakurai will add them in before E3 (except Mewtwo who I'm going to guess is gonna be revealed in July to hype up the next Pokémon movie (Cocoon of Destruction: Diancie) , which he happens to be in (since both Mewtwo forms are in this movie, I'm going to bet X is the Original Mewtwo from the 1st movie and Returns, and Y is the recent Mewtwo from M16 (although we still don't know what role these 2 Mewtwo forms are playing in this film).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom