• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If Project M can still make a very appealing game without resorting to new characters, I don't think the next games wouldn't be heavily hindered by it either. Though let's get real here, most people would want like 3 or 4 newcomers and they'd be satisfied, considering many of the really popular characters are already in Super Smash Bros. to begin with.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's not that hard. People buy Smash because of the characters in it. It's a fighting game, so the game itself is completetly based around characters. When you stop adding what the people want, there's going to be problems. It isn't rocket science.

You SHOULD be mad if we don't get a lot of newcomers. We're the consumers, they should cater to us. It's our jobs to tell Nintendo what we want. If they **** up, they need to know. We're BUYING these games and systems after all. There business is based on our happiness.
I don't disagree with the premise that characters are the heart and soul of the game. Hell, my purchase of this game depends on the fate of singular characters, because without them, Melee and Brawl satisfy me perfectly well. I think it's bull**** to compare fluff like stages, modes, items, gameplay and the like to characters at all, considering how few people would care about any of that had Smash stayed Dragon King back in 1999. I've been mad at the creation of the 3DS version for a while now, business reasons be damned, considering how much more content could be packed into the console version without it.

But none of that affects the public at large fawning over the game and purchasing it in mass. One, two or three more or less newcomers won't affect that in any significant way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But none of that affects the public at large fawning over the game and purchasing it in mass. One, two or three more or less newcomers won't affect that in any significant way.

>Don't add Mewtwo, Rildey, and Megaman

They're just a few newcomers. Do you think the game would sell as well if we didn't have them included? I promise that game without them will do worse than one with them in it. Also, look at the Wii U. It's not the Wii. It's not a household product. It's not like they have a very large audience to simply fall back on to buy it. Any loss of business for this console is going to be a bad loss.

If Project M can still make a very appealing game without resorting to new characters, I don't think the next games wouldn't be heavily hindered by it either. Though let's get real here, most people would want like 3 or 4 newcomers and they'd be satisfied, considering many of the really popular characters are already in Super Smash Bros. to begin with.

Shut the **** up about Project M. There's no comparing to an actual new game. Project M makes a very appealing game to an incredibly niche audience. And if all the really popular characters are already in Smash, what's the point of purchasing the new one? The new levels?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
>Don't add Mewtwo, Rildey, and Megaman

They're just a few newcomers. I promise that game will do worse than one with them in it. Look at the Wii U. It's not the Wii. It's not a household product. Nintendo fans are buying them. Any loss of business for this console is going to be a bad loss.
Now you're talking about the identity of newcomers instead of the quantity of them, which is a different topic and one I agree with. Theoretically, popular characters like those three make it easier for gamers to overlook a smaller newcomer count overall (or a s****y overall group of newcomers like Melee's), while you could flood the game with dozens of Sables and Kawashimas without those three, and people would be irate nevertheless.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shut the **** up about Project M.
No.

And if all the really popular characters are already in Smash, what's the point of purchasing the new one? The new levels?
Experimenting with the adjustments the characters have received, remastering the skills, playing with friends.

Because, you know, people play Super Smash Bros. instead of staring at the intro cinematic.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I miss The All Mighty Goat. He was a real fun fake. This fraud was so pathetic lol @ him using the "Ridley is too big" joke seriously. Oh boy.

As for the amount of newcomers, what I wonder is that if we get something like 12 new characters, will there even be a way to have a fifth Smash game? Say what you will about the characters not being the whole deal (which I agree with), but it's definitely the driving marketing force.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think we need to coordinate a big leak over here that gets GameFaqs up in arms like this last one did with Roy.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Meh... for me there is really only one character that could get my hype for this game trough the roof and is Ridley, I have been waiting for him since I played Smash 64 back in the day.

.n_n.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
...well, to be fair, then, I definitely disagree. Sakurai revealed Snake at E3 2006, fully intending that he'd be Brawl's only third party character, until Sonic was added a little over a year later, last-minute. This time, he also presumably has Snake as a somewhat surprising third party veteran to show off later, so expecting four third parties outright just seems to be begging for disappointment.

I don't doubt Sakurai being a potential d***, but it's hilarious how intricately he wrapped that little detail into his story. Like, he's a concept guy who pitches ideas to Sakurai, but Sakurai is a grouchy guy who doesn't like to be questioned, so he gets "relieved of his duties pre-release" and stops by on GameFAQs on a whim to share info because why the hell not? I'd say you couldn't write a better tale...except the guy kind of did.
That doesn't really make sense. If Snake was intended to be the only third party, why did he say that there would be one to two more third party characters after Snake? Why not just come out and say that he's the only third party character in the game? Or be vague about whether we would see any other third parties, much like this time with Mega Man? Yes, he had the roster decided back in 2006 and Sonic wasn't added until later. But again, why say there would be 1-2 more unless he was considering adding at least one more at a later date? Perhaps he wanted to see which third parties were the most popular before he decided which to go after. And as we all know, Sonic was the most popular, followed by Mega Man. He got Sonic into Brawl (though it cost us the seven) and now Mega Man is in the fourth game.

I'll be content if Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man are the only third parties. And I'll love this game no matter what happens. I don't think it's wise to say a fourth third party isn't plausible, though. We have a plausible leak saying we'll get Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac and I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have something up his sleeve.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's be real. Characters do matter just as much as gameplay do. Do you people seriously believe Smash would be this popular if it were filled with original characters instead of Nintendo characters? Would the Dragon King game even get a second game, let alone a fourth game?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I don't think anyone is saying that characters don't matter. Of course they do. But saying that characters are the only thing that makes Smash Bros. what it is is foolish. If stages weren't important, why were people let down by the generic stages in SSE? Why have separate game modes, items, trophies, and so on if characters were the only things people cared about?

Smash Bros. is about Nintendo's All-Stars, but that's only PART of what makes the game. Smash is about Nintendo's history and legacy. That extends to more than the characters. We have iconic Nintendo locations, items, and trophies in the mix.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Project M is not a real game. It's an adaptation of a pre-existing game. It doesn't have to worry about sales. All of the core work was done by professionals through Melee and Brawl. You're comparing what is basically a remake to a sequel, and ignoring that there are no business issues involved in one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's just cut many old characters from SSB4 and add in a bunch of newcomers... Don't like it? Go play Project M with the old characters. Problem solved. No need to make both SSB4 and Project M have the same roster.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
What arbitrary number of newcomers does he need to reach for a ****ing game to sell? 9, 10, 11, 12...?

EDIT: How stupid would he need to be to add tripping? To waste 60% of Brawl's development time on a dull-as-dishwater adventure mode? Et cetera, et cetera. There are hordes and hordes of people who buy Smash Bros. because it is Smash Bros., regardless of who's in. Some of them are in this very thread, talking about how characters don't matter in the long run.
Those who say characters don't matter have got at least 12 new characters every new installment of the game. Brawl got what, 16? I would be extremely interested to see their reaction if Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer end up being the only newcomers. The truth is that everyone who's saying "the roster doesn't matter" is still expecting a big roster. It's easy to talk like that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can we take this to an other thread? We're supposed to be talking rumors not debating character numbers.

Here's a rumor, the guy who has to translate this site to gauge fan reaction spend his free time bashing his head against a wall.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The truth is that while newcomers do sell the game, the big ones are already in. The only ones who'd whip up hype comparable to that of Wario, Diddy Kong and Dedede are Mega Man (who's in), K. Rool, Ridley and Little Mac. Palutena could be argued, but Kid Icarus still isn't so big a series that I think a secondary character from there would be anymore than Lucas hype for the general public.

The rest of the likely characters, like Mii and Pac-Man, have been quite controversial, and I'm fairly certain they'd have a mixed reception, as we've already seen with the leak.

My point is that we really don't need a lot of newcomers this time around. It's not worth it cutting characters like Ike, Wolf, Lucas or Lucario just to get characters like Krystal and Waddle Dee in instead, they aren't as well-known or respected in the Nintendo community. Heck, when it's characters like those that have a chance to be at the chopping block you know you already have a good roster. It was easy to cut characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link and Roy because they frankly have no place on a Nintendo All-Star roster to begin with, and were only included as last minute clones because the roster was lacking in quantity. Mewtwo didn't really have much reason to be in Brawl over other characters either, considering the only thing he had going for him was his popularity in the Pokémon community, something Pikachu and Charizard already outdid him in. Then you could always argue that he should have gotten in instead of Jigglypuff, but that's another discussion.

I personally don't see any reason to include a cast of 12 newcomers, because I frankly don't even see 12 additional Nintendo All-Stars who'd all be worth enough to cut any of the Brawl characters. If we only got the Little Mac, K. Rool, Palutena and Ridley from here on and out I'd personally be very satisfied. I don't care as much about the amount of newcomers as much as I care about who they are. But knowing Sakurai, that's not what's going to happen.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, if we only got 5 more newcomers (Takamaru because I still think we're going to get a Retro character, Mac, K. Roodley, and Palutena), I wouldn't even be mad since those are the only ones I still want to see.

However, that seems like wishful thinking since its every one of my wanted newcomers, but unlike Brawl the list is so sparse now it doesn't make sense to pick any but the best of the best remaining. Villager and Mega Man fit the All-Star cast, getting Mewtwo back would be an All-star addition, but after that, who's left but the four above and Takamaru as a retro choice?

If Sakurai wants more newcomers he can add stuff like Mii's and PAC-Man, but I hope he understands those are so controversial, and not on the level of hype as the above.

And come on guys, leave Project M alone. It's doing its best to distinguish itself as its own game, despite needing to be based on an existing product, and those guys put a TON of hard work into it. Back off.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The fun thing is that everyone is saying "X and Y are really the only characters left to make the Sm4sh roster perfect and complete". If we count all the Xs and the Ys everyone listed, we get easily a total of 30 characters. But yeah, 6 newcomers is really everything this game needs, right?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The fun thing is that everyone is saying "X and Y are really the only characters left to make the Sm4sh roster perfect and complete". If we count all the Xs and the Ys everyone listed, we get easily a total of 30 characters. But yeah, 6 newcomers is really everything this game needs, right?
What I was saying was simply that a ton of these potential newcomers aren't worth cutting the Brawl characters for in the big image, and if we're getting about 12 newcomers, then there will likely be cuts because of that. That's why it makes sense to include few newcomers, but really make those choices count for the majority of people, not only because it'd be stupid to cut any Brawl character just to get middle grounders like Bowser Jr, Waddle Dee and Isaac, but also for balancing purposes. That doesn't only mean the Elite Four + Mewtwo, even characters like Pac-Man and Mii, despite controversial, would count as something big.

Sakurai has said right from the beginning of developing this game that we're probably going to see less newcomers this time around, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. 6 newcomers would be pitiful though, 8-10 has always been my guess.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
And come on guys, leave Project M alone. It's doing its best to distinguish itself as its own game, despite needing to be based on an existing product, and those guys put a TON of hard work into it. Back off.
What I said was not meant to imply any sort of devaluation of the work. From what I've seen of it, I am impressed. But it's just not a good way to compare what a real, published game has to have for it. The people who work on a real game are not just fans, it's their livelihood. They have to appeal to a wider audience than just those in a, as Shortiecanbrawl said, very niche group. As an example, I have played Smash since 64, and have eagerly awaited each sequel. But I won't even bother to buy an SD card to play it. And yet Project M doesn't need my interest. It doesn't matter if no one makes a cent off it. No one is expecting a profit from it. There are no execs breathing down their necks.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
My theory is that anyone who claims characters don't matter to Smash are satisfied with the characters already in the game.

Anyways, reading over today's posts, the emerging trend is claiming "this leak is false because it involves something I don't like," be it fewer newcomers or the absence of other characters. You know, not any of the legitimate reasons to discredit the leak, such as the guy's whacked-out narrative about Sakurai being a closeted d***, or the fact that he has an answer to literally everything (like Halibuton back in the day), but massive reaching because the roster isn't exactly the most satisfying. Before the thread got locked, there was even some guy claiming how "this leak is false because it doesn't include Pacman, and not adding third parties isn't like Sakurai." I mean, what?!

And anyone who is satisfied with there being no K.Rool, Little Mac or Ridley is WRONG.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
And anyone who is satisfied with there being no K.Rool, Little Mac or Ridley is WRONG.
And anyone as narrow-minded as you is WRONG. I don't really care about Little Mac or Ridley being in, though I hope they do for the sake of their fans. And I think we should get Dixie before K. Rool, but I think he'd be a cool addition.

So yes, I'd be satisfied with those three not being in. It's Smash Bros, so I'll love it regardless of who gets in. I'll be disappointed if characters get cut, just like the five cut from Melee to Brawl. But characters are not the only thing in a Smash game and I'll still enjoy the new stages, items, game modes, trophies, and soundtrack.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What I was saying was simply that a ton of these potential newcomers aren't worth cutting the Brawl characters for in the big image, and if we're getting about 12 newcomers, then there will likely be cuts because of that. That's why it makes sense to include few newcomers, but really make those choices count for the majority of people, not only because it'd be stupid to cut any Brawl character just to get middle grounders like Bowser Jr, Waddle Dee and Isaac, but also for balancing purposes. That doesn't only mean the Elite Four + Mewtwo, even characters like Pac-Man and Mii, despite controversial, would count as something big.

Sakurai has said right from the beginning of developing this game that we're probably going to see less newcomers this time around, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. 6 newcomers would be pitiful though, 8-10 has always been my guess.
Considering that there won't be a Subspace Emissary-like mode this time around, a lot of time, effort, and money is now freed up. This means that we could not only have all of Brawl's cast back, but maybe even 15 newconmers in total, 3 of them being semi-clones.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
In a perfect world, there'd be 48 characters. However, since Brawl, most of Nintendo's all-stars have been added. The only missing currently would be Little Mac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Toad, Ridley, the Miis, Palutena and Mega Man. Mega Man's already in, and if we were to get all these characters, who would they add to the next installment? Unless we get quite a few new IPs, or they don't include a majority of these characters, there's nothing left. That's what I'm worried about.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Considering that there won't be a Subspace Emissary-like mode this time around, a lot of time, effort, and money is now freed up. This means that we could not only have all of Brawl's cast back, but maybe even 15 newconmers in total, 3 of them being semi-clones.
You're right about the lack of a SSE giving the game some more time to have more characters. But all characters returning + 15 newcomers?

I'm going to quote Sakurai on the case of 50 characters:

"It isn't a matter of ‘If the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough… There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive."

With the lack of an SSE I can still only see there being 12 newcomers where 2 of them are semi-clones at maximum. 50 characters just seems like shooting overboard.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
So when we reach 60 characters in future installments, the Smash Bros. team are eventually going to cut some characters.
Why would they cut characters just because they've reached 60? Not that it matters, because that's a VERY long ways away, but still... why cut any character at all?

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I'll touch this topic a bit with trying to respect the leak topic. If you're expecting 12 newcomers, i think that's a bit much. I'd say that's the maximum. and even then that's, what, 50 characters? Smash Bros is about Smash bros All-Stars, and while I get the appeal for new characters appearing and how that is credible to both us hardcore players and the casual audience, it is not everything. 6 feels like it is a minimum, but am I the only person no too keen on having so many? Sure, it'd be cool, but if it's a game about smash bros all-stars, characters that more often then not define Nintendo (And I know, there are loopholes there, like Snake, Megaman but essentially it's the truth) then how many more could you add? I know you think WFT doesn't fit this description but hey, Wii Fit was kinda a big deal (Like Guitar Hero in a sense) so it makes sense to see some sort of representative to represent not just a game series, but a console cycle.

Point being, I care about characters, but I know the number of newcomers this time around may disappoint people. I honestly love the new smash games for all the characters as a whole, looking at the roster and seeing who i'll be spending the next 7 years with. I enjoy playing Mario or Bowser first to see how they've changed from past games, like when Bowser got his flippy suicide grab, it was the coolest thing to me. Or to see how Falco kicked his shield instead of holding it in place. I feel like this time around, the newcomers will be lower then expectations. I want to say 8-9, maybe 10 because of a last minute addition. Now, I HOPE (And i mean this, not just to say it to add credibility to my belief) for characters like Little Mac, Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena, Roy, Mewtwo, Toad, and so on, but in my head I know only a select few there have a chance. I say Ridley makes me wishy washy, he's on the fence for me, as I think he is deserving, but then I see how he is not. This isn't a roster thread so that's where I'm ending it

On a related note, what if
PLOT TWIST
Smash Bros devs went on these websites and posted these leaks to see the reactions so that they can adjust their rosters ? :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why would they cut characters just because they've reached 60? Not that it matters, because that's a VERY long ways away, but still... why cut any character at all?
Unless they stop spending a lot of development time on new unique features to the gameplay as a whole, they are most likely going to need to cut characters at some point. There is such thing as too many characters in a fighting game that takes two years to make, but has two hundred characters to program.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I am not expecting much of a larger roster than Brawl. I love newcomers and want a few more but I honestly would rather be less cut characters instead. As long as the roster has the main Nintendo All-stars (which it pretty much already does) as well as a few new exciting, unique additions, I'm happy. 3-5 more newcomers would not make me upset. Just my opinion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Let's be real. Characters do matter just as much as gameplay do. Do you people seriously believe Smash would be this popular if it were filled with original characters instead of Nintendo characters? Would the Dragon King game even get a second game, let alone a fourth game?
See, I never understood why Nintendo thought Smash Bros would fail as a franchise because of this. I've read interviews about the development of the first Smash Bros and I'm just utterly floored by the lack of confidence they had in the game. "I don't know guys... we're just bringing the wet dream of every Nintendo fan on the planet to life and creating an alternative gameplay style to every other fighting game out there... I don't know if people will buy it or not." Hell, originally the game was supposed to be a Japanese exclusive despite the fact that every 10 year old since 1988 has had the "who would win, Mario or Link" debate in the lunch room at least once.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
In a perfect world, there'd be 48 characters. However, since Brawl, most of Nintendo's all-stars have been added. The only missing currently would be Little Mac, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Toad, Ridley, the Miis, Palutena and Mega Man. Mega Man's already in, and if we were to get all these characters, who would they add to the next installment? Unless we get quite a few new IPs, or they don't include a majority of these characters, there's nothing left. That's what I'm worried about.
What? There's nothing left?
Probably nothing you KNOW.
I wouldn't consider Shulk nothing. I wouldn't consider Paper Mario nothing. And many more.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
What? There's nothing left?
Probably nothing you KNOW.
I wouldn't consider Shulk nothing. I wouldn't consider Paper Mario nothing. And many more.

As time goes, characters come around, so as long as time doesn't stop, there will always be more characters. Just maybe less due to using up alot of relevant older characters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This isn't exactly a rumor but I've noticed that a lot of Kid Icarus fans are hopeful about something Kid Icarus related being revealed on the 19th because it's the franchise's anniversary. Personally, I think people have been looking into the anniversaries of franchises way too much. Yeah, I know they did something for Mario's but, come on, it's freakin' Mario, the franchise that saved the game industry, Nintendo's flagship franchise, and the most popular video game franchise of all time. Sakurai might do something because, since Yokoi died, it's technically his but I honestly doubt it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh to be honest, at this point. I'm not really expecting any newcomers or anything unless it's a Nintendo Direct or something (and even then it may just be a veteran reveal like Luigi and Sonic), people have been saying similar things in regards to Pac-Man and Little Mac when their games and anniversaries came along and nothing significant happened for them (at least in terms of character reveals).

At this point, I'm just going to wait things out and see... :/

Edit: Actually I wouldn't be too surprised if we did get a Kid Icarus based stage reveal for the Wii U version around that time now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom