• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm moreso laughing at the response to the leak than the replies he's giving.

Gamefaqs must really hate Roy.

Or they have a morbid obsession with Chrom.
Gamefaqs REALLY loves their Chrom.

Obsessed with him frankly.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Red Flag. But sadly, not enough for a clincher.

Everything he's saying can technically be true.

I'm more curious as to the "he's done it before," bit myself.
Maybe R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch was a surprise addition by Sakurai?

As much as I wouldn't like only 6 newcomers, a lot of what he says makes sense. The fact he talked Sakurai out of not bringing back Dr. Mario is sad, but including Bowser Jr. is good. So I'm mixed. I do hope that we see Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link all return, even if it is as DLC.

Who knows? Maybe Jumpman is the secret retro! :troll:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I posted Swampasaur's question, along with "Why the hell did you say you work in concept??"

Yeah, I'm really not believing this now, but am following the mentality laid out in that quote I copied over. That, and GameFAQs' reactions are pretty amusing as well.

Although he didn't say that Sakurai was working on a hidden retro, he floated it as a possibility, since he, too, found it bizarre that the roster lacked one.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The big problem with GameFaqs leaks isn't that they're 95% false all the time.

It's that the posters make new accounts which limit them to 3 posts per hour.

Gah I want to know more but I have finals tomorrow.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The fact that anyone believed that horrible leak even for a second makes me abandon all hope

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I kinda wanna make my own leak...

Starbound

Ohey he made a new post.

Apologies for making you wait so long. Apparently new posters can post a maximum 3 posts per hour. I thought it was just the 10 per 24 hours rule.

Working with Sakurai wasn't the opportunity I was hoping it would be, as he really seemed like such a nice guy from all the interviews. But I'm leaving Sora after this game is done and heading back home to the US and most likely go back to school, which is why I'm okay with being "relieved of my duties" pre-release.

As for why other characters were not chosen:

- Chrom was shot down due to looking too much like Marth. This also went for Lucina as well. His explanation was that characters in a fighting game like Smash Bros. need to stand out from the others, as getting confused who your character is can wreck the match for you.

- We initially planned to include Little Mac, but changed our minds when coming up with concept ideas for him, as he was very one dimensional.

- I don't mean to feed the "too big" crowd by saying this, but Ridley did have programming problems. He is a very time consuming character due to all of his parts (wings, tail, head and claws), and we felt that by choosing not to go ahead with Ridley, we could spend more time working on other characters. We didn't want to copy Charizard's animations as Sakurai has really high standards for this game.

- When Sakurai chooses his "retro" characters (Pit and Ice Climbers), as we found out, he only wants to choose characters who are international. Despite his appearance in Samurai Warriors 3, and a cameo in Nintendo Land, Sakurai felt he was still locked to Japan and denied him.

I didn't say spring release. Q2 implies April to June. And it's looking moreso like it'll be June.

All of the characters will be done by the end of February. We'll be finalizing everything in March, and then getting ready to release it.

Starbound

Well it would explain his fluency in English.

Though it kinda sounds like what you'd expect from a high schooler who hates his job ("I hate it so I'm leaving").

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai doesn't want to include a Japan-only character he previously said he would include? Not to mention the fact that we've got other Japan-only characters. How arbitrary.

Also lol @ finishing the remaining Brawl characters (which is almost all of them) and newcomers by February.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai doesn't want to include a Japan-only character he previously said he would include? Not to mention the fact that we've got other Japan-only characters. How arbitrary.

Also lol @ finishing the remaining Brawl characters (which is almost all of them) and newcomers by February.
That thing about Takamaru seems kind of blatantly fake. That being said, he said all of the Brawl newcomers were done other than Wolf and Wario, so that's no reason for doubt...there are plenty of better ones.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If that info about Mac and Takamaru turns out to be true, ill be sad. K. Rool would soothe my injured spirit though.

However, I want to ask him something if someone wouldn't mind: If Sakurai doesn't want characters to be too similar to each other in this game, so much that he didn't want Sridley to be similar to Charizard, why is Toon Link still exactly the same as Link?

Also wait a minute: Despitr Takamaru being Japan only, but having more western games than Lucas, he won't be included? I'd call fake right now, if I didn't believe Sakurai could be that weird sometimes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
However, I want to ask him something if someone wouldn't mind: If Sakurai doesn't want characters to be too similar to each other in this game, so much that he didn't want Sridley to be similar to Charizard, why is Toon Link still exactly the same as Link?
Because it is an arbitrary rule Sakurai made up and he has to adhere to that rule or risk death by seppuku by dishonoring Miyamoto's works... oh, and because Ridley is too big and impossible. :rolleyes: :troll:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
i'd be okay with this

there weren't really any characters i desperately wanted in this game, besides returning veterans, so this is nice
i can't wait to see yoshi now

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Also wait a minute: Despitr Takamaru being Japan only, but having more western games than Lucas, he won't be included? I'd call fake right now, if I didn't believe Sakurai could be that weird sometimes.
This is pretty much the nail in the coffin. Like you and may others have said, it is arbitrary for Takamaru to be the only exception.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That thing about Takamaru seems kind of blatantly fake. That being said, he said all of the Brawl newcomers were done other than Wolf and Wario, so that's no reason for doubt...there are plenty of better ones.
Ah, must've missed that part. I thought he said they were done with the ICs (or finishing them) and then moving on to the Brawl characters.

Either way, six of one, there are still many parts of his claims that are pretty dubious to say the least.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Dude learns Japanese, moves to Japan, somehow gets hired as a "concept guy" at a game company despite being a foreigner, and then decides Sakurai's kind of a **** so he's going to move back to the States? Yeah. Okay. Suuuuuuuure...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I also find the "Mac is one dimensional" idea ridiculous, when you consider something like a Star power mechanic that could have more uniqueness than half the cast.

However, the man in charge is the reason GANONDORF is a clone of Captain Falcon. So I really don't know what to guess anymore.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The fact that he said Takamaru wouldn't be included due to not being international just makes this all the more false. If Sakurai was so worried about this sort of thing then he wouldn't have included Marth, Roy and Lucas to begin with.
Along with the reasoning behind Chrom & Lucina, to I question with: Why bring TL back then?
I also find the "Mac is one dimensional" idea ridiculous, when you consider something like a Star power mechanic that could have more uniqueness than half the cast.

However, the man in charge is the reason GANONDORF is a clone of Captain Falcon. So I really don't know what to guess anymore.
Plus with Namco working on the game I don't see why they can't take some inspiration from a character like Steve Fox.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
^

Good enough point. "These characters are too similar to another, but at least have different names and voice files! Lets exclude them!"

"Sir! What about Toon Link?" Top priority! Get him in now!"

I think we're done here.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
i got in on the act and asked him questions, too. I am a horrible person, feeding the troll delicious candy. But I'm having too much of a blast listening to the FireRed and LeafGreen OST to care...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lol at his Sakurai rant. This guy is gold.

I especially love his part about going back to school in US, I highly doubt Sakurai would hire someone for one of Nintendo's biggest games who isn't even fully educated in his field of expertise, especially if he has those high standards of the game as he says Sakurai has.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
someone needs to think of a question to trick him to reveal something we know is untrue

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
"So what do you think about them removing assist trophies?"

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The fact that he said Takamaru wouldn't be included due to not being international just makes this all the more false. If Sakurai was so worried about this sort of thing then he wouldn't have included Marth, Roy and Lucas to begin with.

Not that I believe the leak particularly, but weren't Marth and Roy going to be exclusive to Japanese Smash originally?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Not that I believe the leak particularly, but weren't Marth and Roy going to be exclusive to Japanese Smash originally?
It's true, but they at least tested them with western audiences and decided against excluding them because they were popular. I also think Lucas is a sign that he's learned his lesson in that case.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yes, but that was mainly because NOA thought they wouldn't appeal to western gamers, but since they had enough approval from outside of Japan, they we're included.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Frickin gaming industry.

"I'll bet Americans won't like these interesting looking characters with swords. Americans hate swords right?"

Speaking of that, I can't even fathom why FE wasn't an international series in the first place. What about it screams Japanese and not Western exactly?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Frickin gaming industry.

"I'll bet Americans won't like these interesting looking characters with swords. Americans hate swords right?"

Speaking of that, I can't even fathom why FE wasn't an international series in the first place. What about it screams Japanese and not Western exactly?
It's difficulty.

"Those Americans aren't as good at video games as we are!"

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Please! FE1 couldn't have been as hard as Ninja Gaiden or stupid **** like Metal Gear.

Then again, 1st Party Nintendo did deny us SMB2 because of it. GAH. Makes me so angry to think about.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
after looking into the new nintendogs eyes.....im just gonna let the chips fall where they may with this rumor theres been stranger things....such as those ungodly eyes

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Or we could cut someone who doesn't add a very unique moveset to the roster, like Falco. :p

Anyway, 12 newcomers is plenty if they get used well. More than plenty even. But I guess we'll see what happens.

In Brawl Falco is much more unique then you give him credit for. He is no longer a full on clone, but is more of a semi-clon (although imo just barely). He plays extremely different from Fox, Fox is a character focused around combos where as Falco has a more campy play style to him and more focused grab game, despite some of the similar attacks they have Falco is a completely different character from Fox with a completely different playstyle, which is really what matters in the end and not visually similar looking moves.

With that said, I would rather see Falco cut then Wolf even though I main Falco in Brawl. As at this point SF only needs Wolf and Fox to rep it.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You can tell he tried so hard. Nintendo is not like other companies that let sh*t get leaked. I'd say the only other way we can really get leaks is through trailers for the game, much like brawl with the whole stickers stuff.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's difficulty.

"Those Americans aren't as good at video games as we are!"
Considering that Asian players got them mad skills compared to Western players, maybe Nintendo wasn't so far off with that assessment... :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom