• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One of the DLC chapters is a beach episode, which is where the blatant fanservice is in all its glory. Of course, there's the marriage thing too, which is a gold mine for shippers.

There's also something not to be overlooked: the game was much more accessible to newcomers, thanks to the Newcomer/Casual mode.
I think that was brought from FE12, right? (newcomer/casual mode)

But yeah, I think Awakening is quite a polarizing and tried way too much to pander to the anime audience. The criticism around the game is quite more visible than other games in the series (barring Shadow Dragon and to lesser extent the annoyingly difficult FE5)

I mean, I can still remember the days when I used to raise my eyebrows when ever thinking if any FE's character designs would include implied fanservice aside from villains like FE7's Ursula. And then come characters in Awakening like Olivia or Tharja. And even then, most female-characters' official art seems to show them in some alluring pose or exposing some skin...

(like why would Cherche even have a bare back in her outfit??)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

But yeah, I think Awakening is quite a polarizing and tried way too much to pander to the anime audience. The criticism around the game is quite more visible than other games in the series (barring Shadow Dragon and to lesser extent the annoyingly difficult FE5)
Well, more like the "Kawaii~Desu!" fans...

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't mean to say I hate the game, but that's what it appears to be, according to some sources and amount of sales this game got (+ casual audience-friendly mechanics and direction). Also the DLC which has quite fanservice in itself + Spotpass. Plus the dating sim-aspects and what else.

Also what Dragin said. The character archetypes can become quite beaten to death once introduced (*cough*Cordelia*cough*) and the game just doesn't seem to have much structure to it as in other FEs. I have even made the game play like a Pokemon-equivalent of Fire Emblem, thanks to all the Spotpass + grinding possibilities.
....How does one do the spotpass stuff anyhow?:urg:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I mean, I can still remember the days when I used to raise my eyebrows when ever thinking if any FE's character designs would include implied fanservice aside from villains like FE7's Ursula. And then come characters in Awakening like Olivia or Tharja. And even then, most female-characters' official art seems to show them in some alluring pose or exposing some skin...

(like why would Cherche even have a bare back in her outfit??)
It did its job and it did its job well. Awakening was by far the best selling Fire Emblem in 3 generations and it was said that if Awakening flopped that they were simply going to close shop on the franchise. Oh yeah, they pandered a lot and threw in a buttload of stuff just for the sake of attracting new fans but you can't be mad if it means the series is going to keep going. It would be a different story if Awakening was a bad game but the reality of the situation is that it was a great game that had a bunch of fluff.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It did its job and it did its job well. Awakening was by far the best selling Fire Emblem in 3 generations and it was said that if Awakening flopped that they were simply going to close shop on the franchise. Oh yeah, they pandered a lot and threw in a buttload of stuff just for the sake of attracting new fans but you can't be mad if it means the series is going to keep going. It would be a different story if Awakening was a bad game but the reality of the situation is that it was a great game that had a bunch of fluff.
Exactly. Personally the Fluff-part is something I didn't entirely take serious about and wish to not see it as a mainstay to the series. It worked here, but to be honest, it was cumbersome to what Fire Emblem used to be. (Medieval-themed SRPG)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You just went on about how much you doubt of K. Rool being in the roster, but then immediately said we need more playable villains. Hypocritical much? :ohwell:
Technically it's not my fault. It's not like he's been in any recent DK game since Barrel Blast. As far as we know, he might get the Skull Kid treatment, as in being an Assist Trophy (which I hope he is), or may not be in at all. I doubt him a lot, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm right, nor do I not want him.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Technically it's not my fault. It's not like he's been in any recent DK game since Barrel Blast. As far as we know, he might get the Skull Kid treatment, as in being an Assist Trophy (which I hope he is), or may not be in at all. I doubt him a lot, yes, but that doesn't mean I'm right, nor do I not want him.
Relevancy =/= Guaranteed role.
Look at Ice Climbers...

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Relevancy =/= Guaranteed role.
Look at Ice Climbers...
The point I was trying to make is "Just because a character is popular doesn't mean he/she will get in." That's what happened with Skull Kid, after all. I guess I did word things wrong the other time.

But, with that logic:
Mr. Game and Watch,
ROB,
Ice Climbers,

Captain Falcon,
The entire Star Fox series,

Jigglypuff,
Lucario,
Ness and Lucas,
Ike,

Marth,
Would all have to be cut,
See how silly this sounds?
Sakuari Doesn't pick a character based on "relevancy", He picks characters based off of how iconic they are.
If he didn't? Then we would've had an entirely different roster...
Specifically added as retro characters
Were still popular when they were added
A part of a franshise that has been in the series
Actually has been relevant recently

K. Rool is an odd exception. He may have been a part of the DKC series since the beginning, but he hasn't shown up since 2008. Zero appearances in 6 years. If you set the criteria even higher he hasn't been the main villain in a main game since DK64. That's 1999. Over a decade ago and three console generations. This wouldn't be a problem if the DK series wasn't rising again in popularity. Now they have a new game (DKCR) with a returning character with almost as much history and a sizable fanbase of her own: Dixie. From Nintendo's perspective adding Dixie would give a popular series a new representative and advertise a new game.

All that said, I want K. Rool so much more then Dixie

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But, with that logic:
Just to point out, I don't put much stock in the relevant argument, but there is a difference between retro, and retros are an exception by rule, and relevance and some of the characters you have don't fall under as not relevant.

Mr. Game and Watch,
Retro.

Retro. Was also very important part of Nintendo's history.

Ice Climbers,
Retro

The entire Star Fox series,
Can sorta be argued wither way. Even if only a remake, it still had a 3DS game. But it was also declared that no plans were underway for a new SF game any time soon.

Jigglypuff,
It may not be as popular as it once was. However as long as Pokemon exists no Pokemon will truly become irrelevant.

See above. It was also given a decent role in XY.

It is expected for SSB4 to follow the trend that Melee and Brawl set in having a focus on the previous gaming generation. Ike was on a Wii game as well as a GC game. In Brawl he had is PoR design, so in SSB4 he would most likely fall under that. He was also shown in that on FE X SMT commercial.

Hahahahahaha, no. Marth is literally the mascot of the Fire Emblem game. He has had 4 games of his own, made a cameo appearance in another one, and had the most DLC stuff for FEA. Marth will never become irrelevant.

Sakuari Doesn't pick a character based on "relevancy", He picks characters based off of how iconic they are.
If he didn't? Then we would've had an entirely different roster...
Some of the characters he adds can hardly be called iconic.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Let me explain.
I was referring to how ridiculous it was if Sakurai picked characters due to "relevancy".
I understand why these characters got in. I was just giving an example...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I still don't get all the hate towards Awakening.
I don't know if I would call it hate exactly. But the hype as died down now and the big FE fans have been able to look at the game more critically. When I first played the game I would have rated it as a 9.5/10, now as a stand alone game I would probably rate it 8/10 but when compared to past FE games I've played I would give it a 6.5/10. It's still a good game and I love it like I love any FE game, but when I stopped and thought about I noticed all of these flaws with it. It's great that it saved the series and brought in new people. But for long time FE fans there are just all the flaws that bring it down for us after the hype died.

Awakening is polarizing mostly. The game takes a very different style from the previous games that took a rather timeless apperance and stories were taken relatively seriously to match the whole 'death is permenent' aspect. Awakening on the other hand is very... 'magna-anime' in character design and character behavior using more character tropes that are more blantant and simplify the general story. I actually do like Awakening for what it is, but I can understand why it turns some people away.
It's more to do with;

-Pair Up function was great in theory, but in practice it became unbalanced. It made Normal and Hard mode jokes but Lunatic mode mad it a requirement and nothing was guaranteed. It has the potential to be great but it needs to be balanced more.
-Uninspired and boring maps with the constantly same goal of route the map or kill the boss. The maps were also way to big at times and making strategy seem moot on most of them.
-Story that is all over the place. 1st arc was good enough. 2nd arc seemed like filler and could have been done away with and was eh. 3rd arc was also eh.
-Quantity over quality.
-Sucky convoy and shop navigation
-Time travel

Those are the biggest ones.

Let me explain.
I was referring to how ridiculous it was if Sakurai picked characters due to "relevancy".
I understand why these characters got in. I was just giving an example...
Most of those characters you listed were in fact relevant though or fell under a special rule. xD

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Most of those characters you listed were in fact relevant though or fell under a special rule. xD
But let me point this out, let's say Sakurai just picked character due to relevancy.
Most of the characters he picked would've been gone by Brawl, with many of the characters he picked then would never have a chance in SSB4. Meaning he picks through other reasons. Destroying the argument of Sakurai picking characters due to relevancy.
Like I said, if he did:
Then we would've had an entirely different roster...

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That really only assumes promotion and adveristment is criteria the Sakurai or Nintendo use when choosing characters
I don't know if I would call it hate exactly. But the hype as died down now and the big FE fans have been able to look at the game more critically. When I first played the game I would have rated it as a 9.5/10, now as a stand alone game I would probably rate it 8/10 but when compared to past FE games I've played I would give it a 6.5/10. It's still a good game and I love it like I love any FE game, but when I stopped and thought about I noticed all of these flaws with it. It's great that it saved the series and brought in new people. But for long time FE fans there are just all the flaws that bring it down for us after the hype died.

It's more to do with;

-Pair Up function was great in theory, but in practice it became unbalanced. It made Normal and Hard mode jokes but Lunatic mode mad it a requirement and nothing was guaranteed. It has the potential to be great but it needs to be balanced more.
-Uninspired and boring maps with the constantly same goal of route the map or kill the boss. The maps were also way to big at times and making strategy seem moot on most of them.
-Story that is all over the place. 1st arc was good enough. 2nd arc seemed like filler and could have been done away with and was eh. 3rd arc was also eh.
-Quantity over quality.
-Sucky convoy and shop navigation
-Time travel

Those are the biggest ones.
I suppose it depends on the perspective on the reason for the compliants. More often then not I've seen more compalints about the ascestic, character design, and the whole time travel aspect more then I've seen it based on Gameplay. Though admittively I'm no game critic and I will generally allow a lot to slide without given much thought to those particular types of things.

_fiercedeity

Smash Apprentice
But let me point this out, let's say Sakurai just picked character due to relevancy.
Most of the characters he picked would've been gone by Brawl, with many of the characters he picked then would've ever made it. Meaning he picks through other reasons. Destroying the argument of Sakurai picking characters due to relevancy.
Like I said, if he did:
I see the point you're trying to make.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Most of the characters he picked would've been gone by Brawl, with many of the characters he picked then would've ever made it. Meaning he picks through other reasons. Destroying the argument of Sakurai picking characters due to relevancy.
Like I said, if he did:
I don't care about the argument. I put little stock in it.

But even disregarding the retro rule, a lot of the character you listed cannot have been called irrelevant. xD

mimgrim

Smash Hero
...But then you miss the entire point...
Because the point you are trying to make is unimportant to me. I get it, had he gone by relevancy only the roster would have been different, but you don't seem to get what I'm saying.

What I am trying to point out is that quite a few of the character you gave as example were actually relevant around the time of Brawl though.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To the "Sakurai only adds iconic characters" argument, I point to the WFT. Iconic, yes, but not in the same sense as someone like Mario. In fact before E3 I think the Balance Board was more iconic of the Fit series then her.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Because the point you are trying to make is unimportant to me. I get it, had he gone by relevancy only the roster would have been different, but you don't seem to get what I'm saying.

What I am trying to point out is that quite a few of the character you gave as example were actually relevant around the time of Brawl though.
Wait... When did I mention Brawl in that entire post?

To the "Sakurai only adds iconic characters" argument, I point to the WFT. Iconic, yes, but not in the same sense as someone like Mario. In fact before E3 I think the Balance Board was more iconic of the Fit series then her.
But then she has other things going for her. Like how she's completely out of left field. Which Sakurai has been known to love...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I presumed you were talking about Brawl because you gave character examples of characters that haven't been confirmed for Smash 4 yet and listed characters that weren't in Smash games before Brawl.
...I was referring to Smash in a general sense (this includes SSB4)...

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
If they would ever aim to eliminate irrelevant characters, then Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Olimar, and Ganondorf would be a start. Replace Ganondorf with more recent villains in the series (Yuga, Ghirahim, Pig Ganon...) and Olimar with any of the new leaders (Charlie, Alph, or Brittany).

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To change the subject (or at least try to), I'm making a bold claim. I say there will be a Direct before this month is out. There are two main reasons I believe this.

One is that there has always been a Direct every month since October 2012 (there was a mini one earlier this month for Korea, but I'm not counting that), and two, Brawl's sixth anniversary is on the 31st in Japan. That probably doesn't mean much through since the 15th anniversary of the franchise didn't have anything special shown at that date, but I digress.

Note that this has nothing to do with Mr. Prediction, just the Direct and Smash in general.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So anyway, about those leaks, and stuff actually pertaining to this thread...

"To change the subject (or at least try to), I'm making a bold claim. I say there will be a Direct before this month is out. There are two main reasons I believe this.

One is that there has always been a Direct every month since October 2012 (there was a mini one earlier this month for Korea, but I'm not counting that), and two, Brawl's sixth anniversary is on the 31st in Japan. That probably doesn't mean much through since the 15th anniversary of the franchise didn't have anything special shown at that date, but I digress.

Note that this has nothing to do with Mr. Prediction, just the Direct and Smash in general."

Alright! I "predict" that there will not be one! (I actually don't, just trying to argue about something different)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So anyway, about those leaks, and stuff actually pertaining to this thread...

"To change the subject (or at least try to), I'm making a bold claim. I say there will be a Direct before this month is out. There are two main reasons I believe this.

Note that this has nothing to do with Mr. Prediction, just the Direct and Smash in general."

Alright! I "predict" that there will not be one! (I actually don't, just trying to argue about something different)
Well, I don't there will be one..

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I "predict" that Spinda is the final boss of single-player mode, and beating him with every character unlocks him as a playable character.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I suppose there is one thing I can thank Mr. Prediction for. The whole Shulk on the 30th thing made me go back to Xenoblade, which I have not touched in months because I'd been stuck in an early part of the game (where you battle Xord in the Ether Mines). By now I'm deep in the Manka Forest and am having a blast. :laugh:

To change the subject (or at least try to), I'm making a bold claim. I say there will be a Direct before this month is out. There are two main reasons I believe this.

Note that this has nothing to do with Mr. Prediction, just the Direct and Smash in general.
I still think the 15th anniversary was weak because they could be planning a Smash themed Direct soon to celebrate all the anniversaries at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom