• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I was almost forgetting, I found a black controller with a slightly loose left analog stick.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Yeah. Both my spares have LEDs too, but they only flash when it would rumble, nothing stays lit the whole time like my main. It's actually pretty easy and all the stuff you need costs like $30 from radioshack. In all honesty the hardest part is tracking down a clear back controller.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I love being me.
"Is this your controller?"
"Does it light up?"
"....no."
"There's your answer then."
I thought I saw something glowing over at the Melee stations while I was off doing things that weren't playing video games. I have a controller that lights up, but it's an off-brand that isn't all that good to actually use.

Edit: I need to get together with someone for some Smash this week or SOMETIME because I was hardly able to play friendlies at the tournament and (aside from that) I haven't been able to play in what feels like an eternity. I'm even available today until 4, but that's probably too short notice.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I plan on picking up my backpack that I left last Saturday sometime this week. Maybe we could arrange a time around that and play for an hour or so then? I just gotta see if I can get my girlfriend distracted with something so I can have time to play, lol.

Edit: Terral, how does tomorrow afternoon sound? I'm guessing around 1 or 2 since you have to probably work or something from 4 after. Maybe we could gather a few other people or something? Robbie told me my backpack was in the office at the church so maybe we could meet there along with some others and have a mini-smashfest for an hour or so? I think Michael will probably be at work but Terrance, Grant, and/or Nathan may be available. That last tournament got me so pumped for smash, it's ********, and I don't even have my wii to play :(

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I plan on picking up my backpack that I left last Saturday sometime this week. Maybe we could arrange a time around that and play for an hour or so then? I just gotta see if I can get my girlfriend distracted with something so I can have time to play, lol.

Edit: Terral, how does tomorrow afternoon sound? I'm guessing around 1 or 2 since you have to probably work or something from 4 after. Maybe we could gather a few other people or something? Robbie told me my backpack was in the office at the church so maybe we could meet there along with some others and have a mini-smashfest for an hour or so? I think Michael will probably be at work but Terrance, Grant, and/or Nathan may be available. That last tournament got me so pumped for smash, it's ********, and I don't even have my wii to play :(
Tomorrow is the one day I work this week. I'm good every other day, at the very least until 3 or 4, depending on location. I'm pretty pumped, too.

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and suggest Thursday. I might be able to Smashay all Dashday or something like that, but I'll have to see.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I might have to take the weekend off of smash this week. Going to go buy a car this Saturday. And am having some family in town. Buuut I might still smash Saturday night. Just in case I can, who is available saturday night?

Red Rogue

Smash Rookie
hmm im not sure if im available saturday night, btw I found out parto f the reason y i was having some trouble getting my shines to connect, I wasnt waveshining lol only jc andi dk how i didnt notice that

Oh and my ledge play is getting tons better so my overall movement is like soooo much better than saturday.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I added bracket links to the July Results thread, added the missing links, and created the tournament thread for July 16th. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305772

Oh, Zant, when I was making the results thread, I actually accidentally typed May. I didn't copy and paste, it's because I was using the May page as reference.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Zant: we could meet up today. We can play here until around 3, or possibly sometime after three until later. Also possibly both, but there's something I have to get done around 3.

Edit: 4-7 or 4-8 might work best for me, but I'm still available up until 3. There's just that hour in the middle that won't work. Both before and after would work, but that's kind of silly.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Okay that sounds good. I'll txt Nathan, Robbie, Terrance, and Grant about playing as well. I'd like to play before 3 so I'm going to be leaving Seymour shortly.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Alright, I already talked to Robbie about it but I haven't heard from him this morning yet.

Edit: where are we going to be playing at?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
GGs, Zant. It's too bad we couldn't have had more matches. That random power outage was weird.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah, we probably wouldn't have got more than a few after starting it up and all. We'll plan better next time to include more people and more time. Other than that, you seem to be playing really well for how little you do play. You always find a way to surprise me.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
I leave you guys alone one time and you go and break electricity. Tisk tisk

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok so I did the numbers for this months elo. No time to post them now. Lets just say though that a lot of Springfield people lost points =/ Pools WERE rated. I went from ranked 1st on the list to ranked 10th lol.

Anyways, we weren't able to cash our insurance check so I'll be able to play smash this weekend.

So when and where people? I'm thinking it might be a wise idea this week to take a few TVs to MetaGames and play there. I'm sure they won't mind but of course we can call them first to make sure. Who's down?

darkatma

Smash Hero
BTW there was a mistake in pools for blitz someone kept writing 2-0 against him when it was actually 0-2
that's why he became 4th seed and played ziv first match. He should've been 3rd seed.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ok so I did the numbers for this months elo. No time to post them now. Lets just say though that a lot of Springfield people lost points =/ Pools WERE rated. I went from ranked 1st on the list to ranked 10th lol.

Anyways, we weren't able to cash our insurance check so I'll be able to play smash this weekend.

So when and where people? I'm thinking it might be a wise idea this week to take a few TVs to MetaGames and play there. I'm sure they won't mind but of course we can call them first to make sure. Who's down?
The only time I can play will be Sunday, and that's only a possibility. I've already made up for this weekend with Terral yesterday and I have plans all weekend. I might be able to find a way on Sunday though. If I can play on Sunday, I'll be sure to let you know.

BTW there was a mistake in pools for blitz someone kept writing 2-0 against him when it was actually 0-2
that's why he became 4th seed and played ziv first match. He should've been 3rd seed.
Oh wow. Don't people go over these things before turning them in?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I just checked the vids and it was against Kellen aka InsertTag. Not sure why the wrong results was recorded, but the pool shows it as 2-1 for InsertTag when it was clearly 2-0 Blitz. I thought it was a little strange (no offense to Kellen) that Blitz had lost to him. This overall will actually help my elo lol because Blitz will have a higher starting elo and I beat him so more points for me and him :) Less points for Kellen though. Was it wrong on the paper sheet as well? Or just the Laptop entry? Either way I will adjust the elo's accordingly...but since they work chronologically it could take a bit of time because I'll have to go back and recalculate the entire tournament.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I got bored so I updated the original post. Here's a little changelog:

Added recent Pathways tournament to the Tournament section
Updated everyone's characters/names
Updated characters with the colors that the players play
Centered the players section and title + minor changes

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Ok so I checked out the paper copies and it looks like the result was scribbled out several times because more than likely somebody recording a score had no idea how to write it in and even after messing it up big time didn't care to make sure the TO got the correct result. In all likelihood it was probably Akuma (no offense bro). Because his result too is scribbled and he was 1-2 vs dmac. That means it had to have been him because I seriously doubt dmac would make that mistake lol.

Also SPRINGFIELD, we need to completely step it up. Roman updated the first post with results from this last pathways and the highest we could place in singles was 13th?? 13th at a local is unacceptable (unless it's at MIST). There's no reason why we shouldn't have a player in the top 5 at ANY Pathways event. We have the talent and the desire. We just need to execute. I know I choked at this event and I apologize to my teammates and have no excuse for it. But all around I see players from our group losing to other players that are not better than us. From here foreword we need to really get our game together and take that next step. We can do it!!!

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'll play next time. Get first place. *yawn* Since you're so worked up about it. No biggie.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
July Supplemental Ratings List

Ok guys! I finished doing the ratings finally! Had to do them twice this month. The reason being because I did 'em last night, then found out today that the wrong result was recorded between the match of Kellen vs Blitz in pools. Just to give an idea of how important accurate results are, that ONE match changed the end result elo of nearly every player in the event!

Ok so this month is a very interesting one for several reasons. For one, we had not only a very large turnout this month, but also a large showing of talented players like Spaceballs and Atma. Because of that it really put the elo system to the test to accurately track new players that are obviously strong.

We DID include pools, and for several reasons. For one, rating pools allows the system to have a much more accurate end result, and it shows. For already rated players, pools had to be rated using a different system than brackets. The reason is simple. In brackets, matches are rated individually in chronological order. Basically all winners bracket matches are recorded first, then losers, then grand finals. This keeps accuracy up and randomness down. However in pools, there's no way to tell which match takes place when. So because of that, I used the USCF Ratings Calculator Tool to rate pools. So each player in a pools match is rated against their opponents rating from the beginning of the tournament. It's a very awesome way to do it because it allows them to be accurately rated without having to know which match took place when. Also, I discussed with Strong Bad a little bit and he had an idea. Well as we all know, there's not much way to tell the result of a bracket match, whether it was 2-1, 2-0, 3-1, 3-2, ect. However in pools, each match is recorded accordingly. So because of that, we were able to achieve even more accuracy by giving players a .33 win for a 1-2 result. Players that won 2-1 were not suffered a penalty and thus were still granted a full point win. The system really works! For this event I posted ratings before pools, after pools, and after brackets so you can really see how well it tracks the players. For unrated players, I used a new rule that states the following: If 50% or more of a pool is rated, the average rating of the players in the pool will supplement matches played against unrated players, and unrated players will start with a rating calculated by the USCF provisional rating formula. If 50% or less of a pool is already rated, all unrated players will be represented by the base rating of 1,000; and unrated players will start with a rating calculated by the USCF provisional rating formula. So for example.
In pool 1 the previously rated players were Zivilyn Bane (1196), SaberGuy (1132), Terry (997). The unrated players were Atma, G. Vice, and Sam (F). So the way we calculated new players was with this formula:
Provisional rating = [(Total of opponents' ratings + 200 * (Wins - Losses)) / Games]
So, to take the total, first we average the rated players. We get 1108. Then we do the math.
1308 = [(1108 + 200 * (5 - 0)) / 5]
And that's how we calculate ratings for new players in pools.

For existing players, we go to the USCF Ratings Calculator Tool and fill it out. For each unrated player an established player plays, we enter the average of the rated players in the pool. It works really well and just look at the results, incredibly accurate!

And of course, it's always important to remember that even though they are accurate, they are not perfect. Spaceballs is most likely the 2nd best player on that list. But always remember that Elo shows no bias, and Spaceballs lost to Sinister in pools and also to G. Vice once and Atma once. It's all about who you beat and who you lost to. So check it out and please share your thoughts.

Rank Gamertag Elo-Jun Pools Elo Bracket Elo-Jul Record
1 DarkAtma 0 na 1308 +75 1383 10-0
2 dmac 0 na 1248 +0 1248 9-2
3 Sinister 1179 +93 1272 -30 1242 16-4
4 G. Vice 0 na 1228 +13 1241 8-3
5 Spaceballs 0 na 1131 +99 1230 9-3
6 Jace 0 na 1182 +1 1183 9-2
7 Akuma 1123 +63 1186 -32 1154 9-6
8 Saberguy 1132 +28 1160 -11 1149 11-4
9 VTS 1055 +12 1067 +80 1147 11-7
10 Zivilyn Bane 1196 -27 1169 -41 1128 23-10
11 Blitz 0 na 1115 +11 1126 7-4
12 Geno 0 na 1102 -29 1073 5-3
13 Zantetsu 1091 -4 1087 -17 1070 19-12
14 Strong Bad 0 na 1022 +35 1057 6-4
15 BoP 986 na 986 na 986 6-6
16 xzerolegend 982 na 982 na 982 8-8
17 Tempest 974 na 974 na 974 3-6
18 DrewBear 969 na 969 na 969 7-8
19 Kellen 1030 -7 1023 -55 968 6-7
20 Bert 1058 -59 999 -32 967 8-11
21 BZA 966 na 966 na 966 3-4
22 Terry 997 -25 972 -8 964 9-14
23 an honest man 963 na 963 na 963 0-2
24 Yoshiman 978 -11 967 -5 962 4-7
25 Linkz 956 na 956 na 956 5-8
26 Sam 953 na 953 na 953 0-2
27 ICE 951 na 951 na 951 2-4
28 Terral 974 -28 946 -4 942 11-17
29 Seif 0 na 942 -12 930 3-5
30 Sam (F) 0 na 908 +20 928 2-7
31 Magic Magnum 909 na 909 na 909 1-2
32 Jaws 908 na 908 na 908 0-2
33 Arby 0 na 862 +18 880 2-6
34 Quote 0 na 891 -29 862 1-6
35 Ugvts 857 na 857 na 857 1-10
36 YBMP 912 -86 826 -25 801 0-11
37 Red 795 -34 761 -22 739 0-9

Pathways June Pools
Pathways June Brackets
Pathways June Results

Players this month removed due to inactivity: JeBus (953)
Name changes this month: Blue = Red; Terrence = Terry; LinkMO = Bert

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
Ok so I checked out the paper copies and it looks like the result was scribbled out several times because more than likely somebody recording a score had no idea how to write it in and even after messing it up big time didn't care to make sure the TO got the correct result. In all likelihood it was probably Akuma (no offense bro). Because his result too is scribbled and he was 1-2 vs dmac. That means it had to have been him because I seriously doubt dmac would make that mistake lol.
CALLED OUT:surprised:

Vts

Smash Champion
Ok guys! I finished doing the ratings finally! Had to do them twice this month. The reason being because I did 'em last night, then found out today that the wrong result was recorded between the match of Kellen vs Blitz in pools. Just to give an idea of how important accurate results are, that ONE match changed the end result elo of nearly every player in the event!

Ok so this month is a very interesting one for several reasons. For one, we had not only a very large turnout this month, but also a large showing of talented players like Spaceballs and Atma. Because of that it really put the elo system to the test to accurately track new players that are obviously strong.

We DID include pools, and for several reasons. For one, rating pools allows the system to have a much more accurate end result, and it shows. For already rated players, pools had to be rated using a different system than brackets. The reason is simple. In brackets, matches are rated individually in chronological order. Basically all winners bracket matches are recorded first, then losers, then grand finals. This keeps accuracy up and randomness down. However in pools, there's no way to tell which match takes place when. So because of that, I used the USCF Ratings Calculator Tool to rate pools. So each player in a pools match is rated against their opponents rating from the beginning of the tournament. It's a very awesome way to do it because it allows them to be accurately rated without having to know which match took place when. Also, I discussed with Strong Bad a little bit and he had an idea. Well as we all know, there's not much way to tell the result of a bracket match, whether it was 2-1, 2-0, 3-1, 3-2, ect. However in pools, each match is recorded accordingly. So because of that, we were able to achieve even more accuracy by giving players a .33 win for a 1-2 result. Players that won 2-1 were not suffered a penalty and thus were still granted a full point win. The system really works! For this event I posted ratings before pools, after pools, and after brackets so you can really see how well it tracks the players. For unrated players, I used a new rule that states the following: If 50% or more of a pool is rated, the average rating of the players in the pool will supplement matches played against unrated players, and unrated players will start with a rating calculated by the USCF provisional rating formula. If 50% or less of a pool is already rated, all unrated players will be represented by the base rating of 1,000; and unrated players will start with a rating calculated by the USCF provisional rating formula. So for example.
In pool 1 the previously rated players were Zivilyn Bane (1196), SaberGuy (1132), Terry (997). The unrated players were Atma, G. Vice, and Sam (F). So the way we calculated new players was with this formula:
Provisional rating = [(Total of opponents' ratings + 200 * (Wins - Losses)) / Games]
So, to take the total, first we average the rated players. We get 1108. Then we do the math.
1308 = [(1108 + 200 * (5 - 0)) / 5]
And that's how we calculate ratings for new players in pools.

For existing players, we go to the USCF Ratings Calculator Tool and fill it out. For each unrated player an established player plays, we enter the average of the rated players in the pool. It works really well and just look at the results, incredibly accurate!

And of course, it's always important to remember that even though they are accurate, they are not perfect. Spaceballs is most likely the 2nd best player on that list. But always remember that Elo shows no bias, and Spaceballs lost to Sinister in pools and also to G. Vice once and Atma once. It's all about who you beat and who you lost to. So check it out and please share your thoughts.

Rank Gamertag Elo-Jun Pools Elo Bracket Elo-Jul Record
1 DarkAtma 0 na 1308 +75 1383 10-0
2 dmac 0 na 1248 +0 1248 9-2
3 Sinister 1179 +93 1272 -30 1242 16-4
4 G. Vice 0 na 1228 +13 1241 8-3
5 Spaceballs 0 na 1131 +99 1230 9-3
6 Jace 0 na 1182 +1 1183 9-2
7 Akuma 1123 +63 1186 -32 1154 9-6
8 Saberguy 1132 +28 1160 -11 1149 11-4
9 VTS 1055 +12 1067 +80 1147 11-7
10 Zivilyn Bane 1196 -27 1169 -41 1128 23-10
11 Blitz 0 na 1115 +11 1126 7-4
12 Geno 0 na 1102 -29 1073 5-3
13 Zantetsu 1091 -4 1087 -17 1070 19-12
14 Strong Bad 0 na 1022 +35 1057 6-4
15 BoP 986 na 986 na 986 6-6
16 xzerolegend 982 na 982 na 982 8-8
17 Tempest 974 na 974 na 974 3-6
18 DrewBear 969 na 969 na 969 7-8
19 Kellen 1030 -7 1023 -55 968 6-7
20 Bert 1058 -59 999 -32 967 8-11
21 BZA 966 na 966 na 966 3-4
22 Terry 997 -25 972 -8 964 9-14
23 an honest man 963 na 963 na 963 0-2
24 Yoshiman 978 -11 967 -5 962 4-7
25 Linkz 956 na 956 na 956 5-8
26 Sam 953 na 953 na 953 0-2
27 ICE 951 na 951 na 951 2-4
28 Terral 974 -28 946 -4 942 11-17
29 Seif 0 na 942 -12 930 3-5
30 Sam (F) 0 na 908 +20 928 2-7
31 Magic Magnum 909 na 909 na 909 1-2
32 Jaws 908 na 908 na 908 0-2
33 Arby 0 na 862 +18 880 2-6
34 Quote 0 na 891 -29 862 1-6
35 Ugvts 857 na 857 na 857 1-10
36 YBMP 912 -86 826 -25 801 0-11
37 Red 795 -34 761 -22 739 0-9

Pathways June Pools
Pathways June Brackets
Pathways June Results

Players this month removed due to inactivity: JeBus (953)
Name changes this month: Blue = Red; Terrence = Terry; LinkMO = Bert
dang it you added pools lol, i forfeited to terral and i bet that hurt me pretty hard lol

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Awesome, you added pools. VTS forfeited to me and I bet that helped me a lot.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I just checked the vids and it was against Kellen aka InsertTag. Not sure why the wrong results was recorded, but the pool shows it as 2-1 for InsertTag when it was clearly 2-0 Blitz. I thought it was a little strange (no offense to Kellen) that Blitz had lost to him. This overall will actually help my elo lol because Blitz will have a higher starting elo and I beat him so more points for me and him :) Less points for Kellen though. Was it wrong on the paper sheet as well? Or just the Laptop entry? Either way I will adjust the elo's accordingly...but since they work chronologically it could take a bit of time because I'll have to go back and recalculate the entire tournament.
Blitz saw that it was recorded incorrectly and changed it to 2-0 but then InsertTag must have changed it back. I was wondering why Blitz was 4th seed...

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
VTS: It's alright, you still gained a lot of points. If you read much of the elo topic you'd see where we discussed pools and how elo is a good incentive to TRY in EVERY match lol. Either way you still gained from pools so it's all good.

Terral: Good **** 2-0 ing that IC noob lol :p

Atma: Yeah that sucks. I wish we had been told at the event. But in all honesty, the dude got 7th and I'm not sure if he would have gotten any higher in any other bracket. I don't think anybody was trying to cheat. On the sheet, 2-0 is scribbled out once, and 1-2 is scribbled out once, and finally there is a remaining 2-0. So what it appears is that the correct result is recorded initially, then somebody scribbled it and put 1-2 (which was probably an accident) and then finally somebody switched it back. The MAJOR problem though is that if you look at InsertTags square, all it has is a 2-1. No scribbles or nothing. So what that makes me think is somebody recorded their result in the wrong place. All I can say about that is this: If you win a match, make sure you record the correct result in BOTH parts of the cross sheet. If Blitz had done that I doubt there would have been any confusion.

But either way, he got 7th and I believe he is well deserving of that placing and he did a great job coming back in losers bracket.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
The only solution is to have two sets of pools instead of just one, using the first set of pools to seed the second, which then seeds the main bracket.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
The only solution is to have two sets of pools instead of just one, using the first set of pools to seed the second, which then seeds the main bracket.
Wait what is this a solution for? There was no problem presented.

Pools will be rated and there's no changing my mind about it :)

InsertTag

Smash Rookie
Sorry for any misunderstanding, I assure you that any mistakes in reporting the results were purely that. If anyone really thinks I would try to make myself look better at a small monthly in springfield, with video proof against it, just to make my ranking(which, no offense, doesn't matter) better in a system that I was unaware was even in place, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Just clearing that up.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
Yes, I suppose it would help. But it doesn't solve the problem completely. I would suggest having another set of pools that then seeds into the second set, which goes on to seed the first, that then goes to seed the main bracket, that way the problem is fixed even better. If that doesn't totally work, then we can just add in another layer of pools on top of that. Eventually the pools that will go all the way up the mountain, and we can grow rice in them.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I assure you that any mistakes in reporting the results were purely that. If anyone really thinks I would try to make myself look better at a small monthly in springfield, with video proof against it, just to make my ranking(which, no offense, doesn't matter) better in a system that I was unaware was even in place, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Just clearing that up.
We know what you did, don't try to hide it you sick, evil, twisted shell of a cabbage.

Anyways, I am off! I wont be back in Springfield to do smashfests and stuff for a few months as of today, so please try not to burn everything down. Actually, I have no affiliation with pathways anymore so feel free to BURN IT! BURN IT ALL TO THE GROUND! AAAHHHAAAHHAAHH!!!

I'll be seein' ya'll at dem tourn'ments by-an'-by!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I didn't understand a word of that so let's ask a clarifying question: Robbie, are you really gonna be missing the next few pathways tournies?

Top Bottom