• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
No matter how sure I was that you were kidding, there was still a small sliver of doubt until I read the second line.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Pfft. We all know I don't have the skills to play Falco. I've conditioned myself to play Peach so much that I can't stand not having turnips and float-cancelling.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Wow sweet, I live in Springfield, and never knew we had a SSB scene like this, other then the random people that would come to my house and get stomped. Any SSB64 tournaments in the area?
I guarantee you that I will be one of those random people who won't get "stomped" :p - Welcome to the community though. I hope to see you around more.

On a side note, I picked up Samus as a secondary last night. She's not anyone I'll use in tournaments, but more for friendlies. I picked her up due to her abstract playstyle and so I can learn the playstyle to play against it. Samus is a boss.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I guarantee you that I will be one of those random people who won't get "stomped" :p - Welcome to the community though. I hope to see you around more.

On a side note, I picked up Samus as a secondary last night. She's not anyone I'll use in tournaments, but more for friendlies. I picked her up due to her abstract playstyle and so I can learn the playstyle to play against it. Samus is a boss.
Samus as a secondary in smash 64 or melee?

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Samoose! I approve of this choice. I'm trying to think if I'm going to pick up a legit low-tier for low-tier tourneys, since I don't think Luigi actually counts. Or does he?

Blue Zexion

Smash Cadet
i need practice. <----dont care if the setup is on a 12 inch in the middle of hell ill accept it if it means i get better LOL

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
i need practice. <----dont care if the setup is on a 12 inch in the middle of hell ill accept it if it means i get better LOL

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR
You're in luck. I believe that is the only size of TV they have in hell

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Actually, in Hell there is only Brawl, and everyone but you plays Meta Knight. When you pick Meta Knight, the stage switches to New Pork City and Chimeras spawn on top of you every ten seconds.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sorry Nathan. I'd play with you today but I'm home with the kids while the wifey is out grocery shopping. Grant and I are possibly discussing a side smashfest at his house on Friday. But for sure we're playing on Sunday. Probably at Pathways.

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
It's cool. I watched the Pound V grand finals to give myself some ideas on ways to evolve my game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
usually when you feel that way it only changes the way you think you play the game
but you just kinda leveled up a bit, not as much as you think.

it's SO disappointing upon realization

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Studying high-level Peaches has really adjusted the way I play. Whether that's for better or for worse, that will be determined next time I play. I intend to not play like Armada or PinkShinobi, but rather take elements from their games and incorporate them into my own style.

Or I might just go BSSN and say "Screw the standards, I have money."

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
usually when you feel that way it only changes the way you think you play the game
but you just kinda leveled up a bit, not as much as you think.

it's SO disappointing upon realization
Hey go burst bubbles of the KC peeps and leave my Springfield crew alone lol.

If Blue wants to think he's the best player ever, we darnit he is....until he plays me that is :)

Blue Zexion

Smash Cadet
haha i know im not one of the better players in the crew but i love playing this game and i want to go as far as i can, btw tempest that pretty much what ive been doing i take elements from different players such as Zivilyn for example and try to utilize them in my own playstyle and it helps a lot when u get to a point when u feel stuck.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Hey so I heard you guys were gonna have a larger scale tourney in august? I hope I can make it!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
June Supplemental Elo Ratings

Ok guys I crunched the numbers and the new June listings are as follows. There are a few things to keep in mind and a few rules I'm outlining now.
1) Provisional ratings are in effect starting this listing. Provisional ratings are calculated for new players when 75% or more of the players in attendance are already rated. If less than 75% of the players in attendance are rated, new players start at a base elo calculated as exactly the average rating of the rated players in attendance. If provisional ratings are used, opponents with established ratings of the provisional players will have their ratings calculated against a non-changing numerical value equal to the provisional rating the new player established at the event. For example, for all players that played Zantetsu (a player with an established rating), their ratings are calculated on a per-matchup basis after each individual matchup. However for a provisional player such as Akuma, Akuma's rating is not calculated by each matchup, but by a single equation listed below. Each player that played Akuma had their ratings calculated off the exact same rating for Akuma no matter what the previous result was. For example, when I played Zantetsu, both our ratings had changed through the matches we played beforehand, and thus I was probably around 1210 and him around 1110 when that matchup occured and thus our ratings were calculated based off those ratings in real time. However, when I played Akuma the very next round, he had already established his privisional rating as 1123, and thus mine was calculated based off a loss as a player rated around 1220 vs 1123. His did not change at all, because the provisional rating was already established. The purpose of using a provisional ratings method is to avoid strong players entering their first rated even and starting much lower than their strength, and also negatively affecting players of higher ratings just because the new players base is lower than the players they beat. Akuma is a great example of this. He came in and played very well, defeating myself and also Zantetsu. Had he started at a base of 1,000 he would probably be rated around 1060, which isn't nearly as accurate as the 1123 he ended up at. At the same time, Zantetsu and I would both have suffered much larger elo losses unjustly by losing to a player with a lower base than they should have. It's a smart system that allows more accurate tracking of new players and existing players competing against new players.
2) The Provisional rating formula is an adaptation of the performance rating used in chess. It is calculated as:
Provisional rating = [(Total of opponents' ratings + 200 * (Wins - Losses)) / Games]
If two unrated players face off, their ratings will be entered into the equation as the average rating of the rated players in attendance. However, this was decided after I calculated for this tournament, but will be in effect for future ratings supplements. For this event, two unrated players playing eachother calculated their ratings as 1,000.
3) After four months of inactivity, a player will drop off the monthly supplemental list that is posted online. However, their rating is retained in a database for future use should they return to a rated event.

June Supplemental Elo Ratings List for Springfield, MO Melee
Rank Gamertag Elo-Apr Chg Elo-May Record
1 Zivilyn Bane 1215 -19 1196 20-5
2 Sinister 1059 +120 1179 9-2
3 Saberguy 1132 na 1132 5-0
4 Akuma 0 new 1123 4-2
5 Zantetsu 1079 +12 1091 14-8
6 LinkMO 1038 +20 1058 7-4
7 VTS 1055 na 1055 4-2
8 Kellen 1030 na 1030 3-2
9 Terrance 987 +10 997 7-8
10 BoP 1041 -55 986 6-6
11 xzerolegend 1004 -22 982 8-8
12 Yoshiman 978 na 978 1-2
13 Terral 979 -5 974 9-10
14 Tempest 932 +42 974 3-6
15 DrewBear 1011 -42 969 7-8
16 BZA 966 na 966 3-4
17 an honest man 963 na 963 0-2
18 Linkz 994 -38 956 5-8
19 JeBus 953 na 953 0-2
20 Sam 953 na 953 0-2
21 ICE 951 na 951 2-4
22 YBMP 912 na 912 0-4
23 Magic Magnum 0 new 909 1-2
24 Jaws 0 new 908 0-2
25 Ugvts 847 +10 857 1-10
26 Blue 0 new 795 0-2

Once again I'd like to look at a few interesting things to note with the new ratings. For one, three players that competed in the January event were dropped off the list due to inactivity. These players are Kodie (996), Male (975), and Kyle (950). Should these players chose to return at future events their ratings will pick up where they left off.

Blue's rating ended up much much lower than it would have had he started with a base of 1,000. However this is largely due to the fact that he went 0-2 at his first tournament and lost to players rated 979 and 1011. So when you average those two, and take away 200, you get 795. Blue if you read this I don't want you to be discouraged by this. You are definitely better than your rating shows, and with more rated events under your belt it will undoubtedly improve. I didn't even notice it beforehand but this was your first melee singles tournament of the year (not including low-tier).

-Tempest- was ranked 22nd out of 25 before this event but he stepped up and beat two players higher than him and lost to two players higher than him. He was able to jump his rating 42 points and was very close to climbing into the Springfield top 10.

Sinister came in and dominated, jumping up a whopping 120 points! This is the most we've seen all year so kudos to him.

Magic Magnum and Jaws is an interesting case. MM started 1-2 with a win over Jaws, yet only ended up one point higher than Jaws in the end. This is due largely to the fact that Jaws lost to me when I was over 1200. MM's provisional rating formula was brought down by a loss to Ugvts who was rated only 847. All in all it's a pretty accurate measurement as Jaws and MM appeared to be very close in skill, with Jaws being a new Melee player and MM being a Brawl player.

So that's that for the June supplement. Many interesting things going on and I believe we continue to see the elo ratings reflect more and more accurately. The provisional ratings system will no doubt help maintain accuracy in the future as new players continue to compete in Springfield, MO. Any and all questions are welcomed, as well as other interesting observations!

The June supplemental ratings was based off the following bracket:
http://allisbrawl.com/brackets/bracket10535.gif
EloCalc was used to calculate ratings.

Blue Zexion

Smash Cadet
oh haha im not discouraged, i havent played since the march tourney and i played terrel drew so i was at quite a disadvantage but in march i was pretty much even to drew i just didnt play so i got behind

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Tied with Terral. I'm suitably happy with this.

Not! I demand absolute perfection from myself at all times! Next month, I'll place even better. FIRST, BABY!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
haha i know im not one of the better players in the crew but i love playing this game and i want to go as far as i can
Motivation is a huge part of a player's ability to improve. You're on your way already.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Speaking of motivation and going far, I think I'm going to have to back out of attending the Iowa tournament. Iowa is a long trip and I'd lose all the money I put in, plus I'd be away from home for two days and lose three days of work. It might be possible to talk me into going again, but if you can fill my spot then that would be best.

:phone:

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Zantetsu was telling me about a tournament over in Iowa on the 2nd of July. I really wanted to go, but I'm just not quite feeling up to it anymore.

Terry

Smash Ace
I'm sure I'll lose all the money I put in too, but I'd like the experience of playing with some better players. I plan on going but not sure if I'll be able to make it.

btw, how many people are for sure going?

EDIT: Not to say there aren't good players here >__> but playing different people would be good

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Good smashfest today guys. Terrance, you're getting better every day! That's awesome.

Grant, you have the potential. Keep practicing!

Nathan, remember to have fun. The skill will come but you have to enjoy the game.

Robbie, thanks for the Pizza...even if it was late lol.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
Am I that much better than everyone that the only mention I get is the pizza? I mean, I knew I was good, possibly even great, but I am honored that you are so faltered by my prodigiousness that you can't even find words to describe it, and instead rely on the timing of the pizza.

Just remember, when pizza's on a bagel you can eat pizza anytime

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Actually Robbie we didn't play! So I couldn't mention your game at all =/

Next time we'll have to get some games in and then I'll try to come up with a one liner of advice lol.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
hm... clever cover up. But I'll get you next time, Zivvy McBane!

>Bert<

Smash Ace
So I'm not going to be a d*** and quote that massive chart that Ziv posted (some ppl find it annoying that the quotes r so long), but that chart is awesome. Good work man.

Btw Sinister got some vids uploaded yesteday. Not many, but he's workin on them, thats for sure.

Top Bottom