• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Vts

Smash Champion
ok looks like we got 5 people coming

and the crew battle is Ginyu Force (AR) vs The Z Fighters (MO).

and when we get there i get off at 10pm on friday so +5 hours around 3 am :(

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Also, in my experience I have found that generally churches aren't very enthusiastic about hosting events named after poo
The name is still up to debate. I'm fine with almost anything other then things similar to other tournamnts. All I have to do is change the text in the psd file.

it can only be the Z fighters if Z comes
You. Shush.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I agree with Ugvts, if it's at Pathways then that's not an ideal name for the event. We could make it easy, like Pathway to Smash or something.

Are we planning to have the big tournament focusing on Melee? If we do, then we might want to consider having two big tournaments, one Melee and one Brawl, or seeing if we can work out doing it over two days and having both games.

Also, I'm free tomorrow until 3 if anyone wants to Smash before then.
:phone:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Also, since you have the keys to the Church, Michael, why don't we host the big tournament there? We've had 20 people in the basement before and it felt like nothing so fitting even 50 people wouldn't be hard at all since we already have those couches and chairs, along with a parking lot that should be able to fit everyone. Smashers are usually very clean and neat so I don't see there being a huge problem with us hosting a tournament there. It'd be best to clear it with Robbie just incase, and the Church to make sure we don't have conflicting dates.
Actually I thought this was the plan ever since Next Level decided to be closed on Sunday. As far as the name goes, I really like the logo...but Terral might be right about it's acronym being S.H.I.T. at a church. We should all put some thought into that and make a decision asap. I have to say though I love the initiative you've taken. This seems like the first real step in getting our tournament going.

Terral, the tournament our melee team is organizing is definitely a Melee oriented event. Seriously though I absolutely advocate the Brawl guys having a big brawl event. I could help promote it, and maybe even show up to help run the brackets or whatever. Nobody is wanting to stop that from happening. But as a Melee player, I'm definitely going to be focused on getting the Melee event going. So if the brawl team wants to do a big brawl tournament, more power to them. It can be the same weekend or a different one. I'm thinking August 6th for the melee touranment. If I didn't think it would be too crowded downstairs I'd be all for having it at the same time. But I think I can get 40 melee players and we might not want to have much more than that just downstairs. Although I'm still confident we could do a tourney with 60. If you want we could even do like a $2-3 venue fee and donate it to the church.

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
You guys should talk to the new pastor about the big tournament, too. We can sneak the monthly ones into the new regime because they're fairly small and regular, but if 40 people randomly show up for a super duper tournament it might be a good idea to warn some people, lest there be many an out-freaking 80 year old.

Different pastors have different rules. I know little about Ms. Newladypastor, so sometime after July 6th go mention something.

It's all up to you guys now! It's like Episode 4! I've been able to guide you along and teach you the Jedi ways, but soon I will be struck down and turned into little more than a ghost who shows at tournaments and whispers creepy things in your ears. Then the Ewoks will come and help you take down the shield generator so you can BLOW UP THE DEATH STAR AND SING YUB NUB ALL DAY LOOOOOOOOONG!!!!

Also I will turn blue. And Ewan McGregor will play me in the prequels.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Lol Robbie. I have no problem at all talking to Ms. Newladypastor and I think she'll be ok with having 40 or so well behaved youngsters running around playing video games instead of out causing havoc to society. Especially if I mention the venue fee which will go towards the Church.

EDIT: An alternate idea though is to possibly talk to MetaGames and offer the same thing. They let us have a big tourney there, in exchange we charge a venue fee and it goes towards the venue. This is how it usually works. Although I still like Pathways as a venue better.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'd much rather have the tournaments at Pathways. As for a big Brawl event, we could try to arrange one the weekend after. Then have the normal monthly tournament on the third Saturday. It would quite possibly be the craziest thing to ever happen in Springfield.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Would be crazy for sure. Although if you do it the Saturday after, that's the 13th which is also my birthday. Which is ok, although my participation would be limited. Although I'd be fine dropping by early and helping set up and loaning my TV. We could potentially do something like Neal did with Champ Combo: Norcal Edition, and Champ Combo: (whatever the other one was). Like: Springfield Tourney: Melee Edition. Springfield Tourney: Brawl Edition. Only without a crapy generic title.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
After having a bit to think about it, I realized it would probably be better to do the Brawl event in September. That way, we can have our normal Brawl+Melee monthly event in August without getting too crazy, and we have more time to reach out to Brawl communities. I have not done much of this, I've only really tried to get in touch with the St. Louis crew who I believe are primarily Brawl players. We could definitely call them Melee and Brawl editions, though. And I do support the idea of having tournaments with only one game.

darkatma

Smash Hero
the 18th is next weekend....
I'll ask geno if he wants to go

also the stl crew is half and half. the thread is primarily brawl players, while the melee players just call each other to smash now.

Also, are the tournies you guys host just smashfests?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
the 18th is next weekend....
I'll ask geno if he wants to go

also the stl crew is half and half. the thread is primarily brawl players, while the melee players just call each other to smash now.

Also, are the tournies you guys host just smashfests?
Atma it would be awesome if you came to this. You might talk to Bert. He is coming from Washington which is rather close to where you live. As far as the tournies go, they are normally basically smashfests. Last month was the first time we did an entry fee and it was only $1. This event I believe the rules changed a bit and we're doing a $5 buy in. However in August we are doing a large melee event with a bonus pot and we'll be trying to get some big names. I'm going to be talking with the group on starting a fund raiser or donations from the group to get at least a $100 bonus for first. It's a work in progress but we should have the thread for it open by the start of next week. It's probably going to be August 6th.

Terral, sounds like a plan. I assume you'll also be involved in the organization of the Melee tournament as well, right?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Terral, sounds like a plan. I assume you'll also be involved in the organization of the Melee tournament as well, right?
Of course I will, unless you really want to do everything yourself.

Also, for the June tournament, we're doing the $2 combined for Brawl and Melee singles, then we're having an extra Melee singles on top of that with $5 entry.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
Of course I will, unless you really want to do everything yourself.

Also, for the June tournament, we're doing the $2 combined for Brawl and Melee singles, then we're having an extra Melee singles on top of that with $5 entry.
so we're doing 2 melee tournaments or what

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Well he's not in Columbia so it's really only like 40 minutes to your house from his in Washington, according to him. What I was thinking is that you guys could go to Washington, and then ride with him. It would save everybody some money since you all could split gas.

Def let me know though because we would love to have you. If you need my cell for any info just PM me.

EDIT: Terral. What about doing 1 free Melee bracket and 1 $5 Melee bracket? I think that might make a little more sense than doing one for one and one for five. Feel me?

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
not to be rude or anything, but why don't we just do the $5 one and if someone doesn't want to pay they don't have to enter. they can play a bunch o friendlies. unless you guys really want to do two.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Let's do a free Swiss event, and then the $5 singles double elimination. We can do $2 Brawl, maybe.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Yes, we're doing Melee doubles. It'll be a free event.

darkatma

Smash Hero
People in springfield must be broke or something

people traveling from 2-3 hours away and we still can't have a real tourney...
If it's free how am i to beg blitzbolt to come with me if i'm just gonna go pichu or zelda the whole time in teams with him lol

also don't listen to me, i'm not even sure if i can go yet

Zantetsu

Smash Master
These are more of monthly smashfests with tournaments rather then legit tournaments. It was strictly local for a long time but we just have people who like to show up from other areas. It's not that we're broke. We're just so fly that we can have people from distant locations come to our smashfests :D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
IMO **** that make it a real tourney
people who are just there for fun can.... just play for fun and not enter.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
They're worth it Binyan. It's a lot of fun going to Springfield. Like I said, if you guys can make a trip out to Washington, I am more than willing to give you all a ride there and back. Lemme know.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
IMO **** that make it a real tourney
people who are just there for fun can.... just play for fun and not enter.
You're not forced to show. They're smashfests, its our local get-to-gather monthly where everyone comes out just to play. No one cares about money at these because there mostly meant to get us better. The tiny fees are just to make us play a little more seriously. If you want money, come to MIST.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
do you want to play project m?? lol im going anyway, i'm just trying to get darkatma some incentive to go because I need experience against good players.

Atma: I'll $10 MM your sheik no CGs with my DK if you go =P

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Project M is the greatest thing to happen to Smash. We'll most likely start doing events for it when they make the next release.

darkatma

Smash Hero
do you want to play project m?? lol im going anyway, i'm just trying to get darkatma some incentive to go because I need experience against good players.

Atma: I'll $10 MM your sheik no CGs with my DK if you go =P
Sheik can't chaingrab DK. It's one of the bigger misconceptions about the matchup.
Also I'll play your DK for free lol, if it's money on the line, i like earning it, not swindling it :p

Usually tourney money that i earn goes towards our gas fee anyways though

Still think there should be a small entry fee for dubs xP

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sheik can't chaingrab DK. It's one of the bigger misconceptions about the matchup.
Also I'll play your DK for free lol, if it's money on the line, i like earning it, not swindling it :p

Usually tourney money that i earn goes towards our gas fee anyways though

Still think there should be a small entry fee for dubs xP
Yes, yes she can. I played M2K's sheik for 4 days straight, I think I'd know.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MEXICAN first thought it wasn't possible
I told him it was
then he played M2K in tournament in 2010
Then he was like "Okay Strong Bad you were right"

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
We're planning to have Super Street Fighter 4, yes. It'll probably be going at the same time as other events.

Top Bottom