• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Springfield, MO discussion thread

Hanabro

Smash Rookie
Don't play Ziv then. You won't like it :mad:
Gulp. Advice taken.

Seeing as I have no idea what the competitive world of Smash is like, I must ask: How do you guys train for these events? There's not really anyone in my immediate area that takes the game very seriously, and level 9's only help so much.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
G.Vice is only kidding, ofc. I'm of a very inconsequential competitive level.

To train, you really have to have people to play with. Once a week is a bare minimum. Come to Springfield, we will show you.

:phone:

Hanabro

Smash Rookie
I do plan on making a few trips up to see what it's like. Do you guys play much on the weekends? (Seeing as that's really the only time I can make it)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Brawl dumb
Says the guy who we had to convert over to Melee from Brawl. You should have been smart enough to figure that out on your own.

aka "the fox that can't waveshine"
This. Chris has unused potential though.

Introduction time!
Hi, I'm Zantetsu, but I prefer to be called by my HUMAN NAME: Roman. I'm one of the very lazy (if not "the most lazy") people in this crew that Ziv refers to. I hate dislike Brawl with a passion and will do my best to convert you over to Melee if given the chance. I main Fox and I run around all over the place. I've played Melee since it's release in 01' and have been playing competitively since 06'. To give you an idea of how important it is to have people to train with, I had only one friend to play with up until 2011. When the Springfield crew formed in 2011, we converted Terry fully to Melee and in just 1 year he has caught up with me. I may have been playing for a long time, but I missed out on learning so much without a crew to play against. We're here to help you get caught up a thousand times faster than training against level 9's.

I see you're from Joplin. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. Do you ever plan to leave Joplin for Springfield? I'm curious to see what Joplin has to offer that Springfield doesn't.

Hanabro

Smash Rookie
I see you're from Joplin. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking. Do you ever plan to leave Joplin for Springfield? I'm curious to see what Joplin has to offer that Springfield doesn't.
No biggie. I'm 18 years of age, and a senior in high school. I've been playing Smash Bros for as long as I can remember, starting with my old SSB64 cartridge (which I still play). SSBM was the first GC game I bought, and I logged hundreds of hours. Sadly, though I loved Melee, I was too young to really get involved in the competitive community. I guess you could say I mained Falco. I love like Brawl with a passion, even moreso than Melee. I main Ike and only Ike, sometimes switching to Falco for nostalgia's sake. But I'll gladly accept any help for Melee. If it's anything Smash Bros, I want to get better.

And honestly, the Joplin/Webb City/Carthage area doesn't have much. There's been a few local tournaments, but the only people I've found there are casual and recreational players. I'm looking forward to learning from people who know their stuff.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Oh, I'm a senior in High School too. I live in Seymour (a town of 2,000, 35 miles east of Springfield). I'm planning on moving to Springfield once I graduate so I have a college near by, more opportunities for a job, and because all of my friends have moved there and that's where my smash crew is. Do you ever plan to move to Springfield for college or anything? I'm just trying to get a rough prediction of how often we'll see you now and in the future.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Hanabro, don't worry much about the Brawl vs Melee thing. There's nothing wrong with playing both, though most people pick a side. I might prefer Melee, but I still enjoy Brawl. We have a decent Brawl group, but as was mentioned earlier it's rather casual. We do monthly tournaments on Saturdays.

Speaking of Pathways, is the 28th good for everyone? I didn't ask Rolla about what their plans are.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
A controller.
Extra setups aren't necessary but are certainly appreciated.
Also you're going to play ****ing melee and you're going to like it.
**** terral and chris don't listen to them. You are a melee person now.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
They normally start around early afternoon until sometimes 10-12. Times for each event varrys but we normally plan specifically for traveling players. You would be included, so we can do our best to work with your schedule.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the rolla monthly will be the 21st. but you guys don't care about that anymo :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nah I already got something planned that weekend haha. I'll probably go to the ones next semester though.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Do we have anyone going to the Rolla tournament or anyone from Rolla wanting to come to Pathways? The 28th isn't available at the church, but the 21st is. I don't know about the 14th.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
The problem with Fridays is that I work Fridays, and it's too late to ask off. Are there any other problems with the 21st? That's probably our best bet for this month.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
The problem with Fridays is that I work Fridays, and it's too late to ask off. Are there any other problems with the 21st? That's probably our best bet for this month.
After 15 straight Pathways, I will have to miss this one, and any others that are on Saturday until September. Does Fridays work for anybody else for future events?

:phone:

Terry

Smash Ace
Working on getting some sweet-ass texture hacks

Oh, and a friend of mine is giving me his gamecube, 4 controllers and melee copy that he never uses. Jackpot!

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Looks like we'll go ahead and take the 21st for Pathways, though it isn't ideal. Seems like April just isn't a great month in general.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Ziv, you have the perfect ELO rank.

You have 1337.

It is time to retire and remain leet forever :)

Terry

Smash Ace
I've decided that sandbagging at this game no longer suits me. Been kinda busy lately but looking forward to smashing, hopefully pretty soon! OwO

Top Bottom