• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spring Smash Showdown - CoT5 Combo Giveaway! $100 POT BONUS & PRIZE! LIVESTREAM

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I always thought that the Amateur Bracket idea was a *****'s way of getting dough, which I never really agreed on too much (granted it's for money) and personally, my suggestion to making people still avoid losing on purpose is cutting a portion off of the amateur bracket and putting it into the main single's bracket.

It pushes people to win even more still, scrubs can still play for scrub change and everyone is happy. I know there's gonna be someone who would say "why am I paying up to the winners bracket" well, my answer to that is you'd be sitting out watching the tournament anyway.

So lets say buyin is $5 for the tournament, take 2.25 of each entry and just give it to the pro bracket pot.

nomsain??

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Amateur bracket prize should only be a refund of entry fee.

Gives something to fight for, and no reason to purposely lose to enter it.

Also, Brawl community mentality on stage legality:

"MK is gay!!"
"but Japes is pretty bad for MK..."
"Japes is gay!! Let's Ban Japes!! ........................................................... MK is gay!!"

: D

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Amateur bracket sounds like a good idea, but the money could make it a sticky situation.

It would be up to the discretion of the TO, but could you implement something like:

Winner of the amateur bracket gets free entry into the next GTA smash co tourney? Still paying venue fee of course. This offers incentive to win, but not really any incentive for good players to sabotage their pool.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
Pictochat is a mindblowingly easy stage to play. More balanced than FD by a HUGE margin.
LOL i will not get trolled i will not get trolled i must not get trolled

Amateur bracket prize should only be a refund of entry fee.
yes, why are you so smart avarice shit

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
LOL i will not get trolled i will not get trolled i must not get trolled

it

I agree with FD being less blanced than Picto.

FD= have fun approaching from the ground for 8 minutes.

Picto= have fun camping ****ty transformations for 27 seconds while waiting for one that allows an approach

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Amateur bracket sounds like a good idea, but the money could make it a sticky situation.

It would be up to the discretion of the TO, but could you implement something like:

Winner of the amateur bracket gets free entry into the next GTA smash co tourney? Still paying venue fee of course. This offers incentive to win, but not really any incentive for good players to sabotage their pool.
great idea imo ^

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Hazards have nothing to do with why Picto is anti-competitive. Nothing whatsoever. Of them all, only the plant is something to worry about, the flames and missiles even have set knockback.

It has in large to do with walls appearing just before the transformation is drawn, but I'm not going to really bother right now.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
The knockback of the missiles isn't the issue, it's the fact that you can be comboed from one into the other taking ~60% when one of them was drawn on top of you. However, stage knowledge would teach you to avoid standing where hazards are created, and I fully support Picto.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If you DI up and away you will always avoid the second missile.

A much larger problem with the stage is random removal of ledges, which is a major issue for characters with ledge-dependent recoveries. Which is a good 80% of the cast. It's also completely 100% random and doesn't run on a timer, unlike Norfair or Japes. Though what happens on Norfair is still random, at least whatever happens happens at set intervals.

But w/e, I'd rather have more stages than less. This sort of stuff is better saved for the stage discussion forum.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Perhaps the Amateur bracket payout will be revised. Avarice's Idea seems the most legitimate (paying back the winner their money, then the rest goes to the winner bracket much like what Adnan said).

As far stages, I'm not ready to jump on board and say picto chat is more fair that FD but I will say FD is by all means not the most fair stage in the game.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
For my idea to work you make the amateur bracket free to enter. Gives no reason for people who don't make bracket not to enter, and you only lose $10 from the main pot.

There are no fair stages in the game. Smashville is probably the closest to one.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Pictochat is about as fair as FD imo. Whereas FD hurts characters who are wrecked by Grabs or projectile use, among other things, which is a fair amount of the cast, Picto hurts characters who can't really deal with random crap, which is also a decent amount of the cast.

Also I just though of testing if Ivysaur can be killed by the left missile. Since the kb would be higher and all. Would make me lol if it does.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Define fair. The stage which has the most average balance in the game? The stage which has the least disreprency between the best and the worst character on that stage? The stage where there are the least amount of hazards?

Specifics plz.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
lol you guys are just completely disproving your posts by explaining "oh you can dodge the missles or you can dodge the spikes or you can dodge all the other stupid shit."

the fact that this crap even exists on the stage, EVEN if it was easy to dodge, it still shouldnt fucking be on the stage and thats what makes it not neutral. pictochat is a god damn party stage, not a competitive stage.

the main difference between FD and Picto:

FD: flat plain stage.

Picto: stage with shit changing and flying every 30 seconds

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
If Norfair didn't have the Lava, it wouldn't be banned, if Japes didn't have the water and the gator, it wouldn't be banned.

All the current Competitive stages are fine to play on.
Picto has randomly changing crap, so does Rc, Dp, Lylat with the tilting, Brinstar, and others I may have missed. Point is, deal with it, if you end up on Picto, be happy, GaW is Light, it has a high ceiling, Less kill Power for GaW, but you stay in the Match longer.

All stages have disadvantages for any character, they deal with it, people deal with everything so they can get on with their life. Deal with the Stage, Dirt.

You should be complaining about Halberd with GaW by the way, Low ceiling + Light = Dead. Even with Bucket breaking, you only live as much as Mario can, Lol.

Deal with the stage, we'll deal with the real problem, who is Ally taking our money like we're babies with candy.
Deal?

fUddO

Smash Ace
lol you guys are just completely disproving your posts by explaining "oh you can dodge the missles or you can dodge the spikes or you can dodge all the other stupid shit."

the fact that this crap even exists on the stage, EVEN if it was easy to dodge, it still shouldnt fucking be on the stage and thats what makes it not neutral. pictochat is a god damn party stage, not a competitive stage.

the main difference between FD and Picto:

FD: flat plain stage.

Picto: stage with shit changing and flying every 30 seconds
You do realize this is smash bros, right?

Cruxis

Smash Lord
You do realize this is smash bros, right?
yes i know, but when we are trying to play a party game competitively, we should at least kick out the party stages lol

im not against pictochat being a CP. in fact i def prefer pictochat to the abominations like faggot cruise or brinstar or jungle ***** or norfair
but to say that pictochat is more neutral than FD is ridiculous

also googs eff you and your pictochat stupid gay whale and stupid missiles

fUddO

Smash Ace
Personally I'm a fan of CPing from the whole list, but obviously that would take forever. I do agree that PC isn't really a neutral, but I'm a PIT player, and I feel that FD isn't a neutral either.

EDIT: Not the WHOLE list, just the legal Starter + CP list.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I like how this new stagelist wrecks falco even worse.
Its not like falco wasn't favored on the old one.

Nobody has defined fair yet. You can't say things are "bad" unless you define "bad" and give a reason for it.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
If Norfair didn't have the Lava, it wouldn't be banned, if Japes didn't have the water and the gator, it wouldn't be banned.

Picto has randomly changing crap, so does Rc, Dp, Lylat with the tilting, Brinstar, and others I may have missed. Point is, deal with it, if you end up on Picto, be happy, GaW is Light, it has a high ceiling, Less kill Power for GaW, but you stay in the Match longer.
In order: very random, completely non-random, random but not to any gameplay-hurting level, 99% NOT RANDOM (the other 1% is determining which background event is going to occur, but the stage is fixed to a predetermined track after each warp), and somewhat random but still with a determinable pattern

so, no. two videos that i hope will change your minds about picto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnEd8Rxepw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWw-fYM0WI&t=33s

there's also one of a falco doing the same thing as the peach...and ftr, the line is considered drawn and the ledge is gone at around the time the eye can be seen...picto is not any better than norfair/brinstar/japes/greens etc...it's on the level of luigi's and pirate ship imo

Tin Man

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CnEd8Rxepw

There is absolutely no reason this video holds any merit. That snake is bad, and not only that, but a DDD can take a snake off castle Siege and Delfino for a 0 death. PS1 transforms are random, and DDD can infinite on it also. Same with PS2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWw-fYM0WI&t=33s

This peach is horrible, didn't have the stage knowledge and got punished for it, coulda made it back on the drawing, safely too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXg3C9mhTkw#t=1m42s

Iunno what happened here. It seems to suggest that the ledge disappears when that transformation is in play, or kismet is bad and can't space well with his character to grab the edge.

cMeDu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the ledge does disappear, but tinman, as much as I love you
PLLEEEASE don't call kismet bad...

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Snake: consider:
1) what normally shouldve only been a 30-40% cg got extended not once but twice due to an effect that the snake player could not have possibly prepared for, as he was provided no warning before the lines were drawn. This is fundamentally different from the ps1/ps2/siege situation, which he a)knows will be coming and b)can plan contingencies for
2) the fthrow at the end would not have killed him had the spikes not materialized at that exact time...and again, he was given no warning and did not even see the ceiling that he was hit off of until after he had plummeted to his death

Peach: i agree, he played it poorly, but to say he wouldntve gotten punished for landing with a laggy up-b on the picasso line? lolno

Falco: if the line hadnt decided to materialize at that moment, the falco would have made it back safely. Again, no warning, no prediction, no prevention.

Picto goes through a mostly random set of changes, and there is no way to predict how long the stage will not have a drawing on it, when a transformation will appear, or how long it will stay for.

fUddO

Smash Ace
The snake definitely had time to get out of there. He jabbed twice instead of trying to get to a safer position. At very worst, he could have dropped a grenade and exploded both of them out of there. Delfino is just as bad as Picto when it comes to that crap. Also, considering we allow stages like RC and Frigate with non-grabbable edges, Picto having 1 transformation where you can't grab the edge is pretty minor.

Required Reading: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270499

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It actually has 3 where you can't grab the ledge.

I'm not arguing it should be banned, I'm arguing it's more banworthy than Japes and Norfair, which, imo, are not banworthy, and neither is Picto.

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
*you're bad because you're free

C'mon Tin, don't make me do thid =-=

Anyway!

Frigate has no Ledge on a Transformation :o

And a CG got extended because of poor stage choice :<

Anyway.

I'm bringing my T.V too this thing.
And yes, i'm going to be a few hours early.
If you're there as early as me, We should Friendly ^_^

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Just let the host run the tourney -.-
Be THANKFUL that the host even considered hosting another tourney.

All stages have disadvantages for any character, they deal with it, people deal with everything so they can get on with their life. Deal with the Stage, Dirt.

You should be complaining about Halberd with GaW by the way, Low ceiling + Light = Dead. Even with Bucket breaking, you only live as much as Mario can, Lol.

Deal with the stage, we'll deal with the real problem, who is Ally taking our money like we're babies with candy.
Deal?
I'm bringing my T.V too this thing.
And yes, i'm going to be a few hours early.
I think I <3 u.

Snake: consider:
1) what normally shouldve only been a 30-40% cg got extended not once but twice due to an effect that the snake player could not have possibly prepared for, as he was provided no warning before the lines were drawn. This is fundamentally different from the ps1/ps2/siege situation, which he a)knows will be coming and b)can plan contingencies for
2) the fthrow at the end would not have killed him had the spikes not materialized at that exact time...and again, he was given no warning and did not even see the ceiling that he was hit off of until after he had plummeted to his death
lookey here vvv

The snake definitely had time to get out of there. He jabbed twice instead of trying to get to a safer position. At very worst, he could have dropped a grenade and exploded both of them out of there. Delfino is just as bad as Picto when it comes to that crap. Also, considering we allow stages like RC and Frigate with non-grabbable edges, Picto having 1 transformation where you can't grab the edge is pretty minor.
THIS ^ That snake sucks, his own fault.

Peach: i agree, he played it poorly, but to say he wouldntve gotten punished for landing with a laggy up-b on the picasso line? lolno
What possible punish could be significant enough? She would be out of smash range and the drawing goes off the ledge a lil where Pikachu can't aerial her.

Falco: if the line hadnt decided to materialize at that moment, the falco would have made it back safely. Again, no warning, no prediction, no prevention.
LOL extreme circumstance.

Picto goes through a mostly random set of changes, and there is no way to predict how long the stage will not have a drawing on it, when a transformation will appear, or how long it will stay for.
lookey here vvv

THIS ^

*you're bad because you're free

C'mon Tin, don't make me do thid =-=

Anyway!
huh? Do what?

Top Bottom