• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ike, DK, Wii Fit Trainer didn't get buffs until what, the third, fourth patch? So I say don't despair.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The Mega Main in me is hyper bombed. The M2 secondary in me is still waiting to strike back...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Mega Main in me is hyper bombed. The M2 secondary in me is still waiting to strike back...
Is that supposed to be a reference to Hyper Bomb buff?
The stages and Mii outfits are cool and all but don't affect the game in the slightest. I'm saying"****" because Mewtwo has gotten no buffs after like, what? Two patches? Three patches? (I forget). Something just tells me even in the next patch, he's not going to get a buff. I would love to be wrong though.
He DID get buffed last patch. Maybe change that to "he didn't get the buffs I wanted".

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok

He DID get buffed last patch. Maybe change that to "he didn't get the buffs I wanted".
Like I said before, "I forget", I've been playing other games, haven't touched Smash Bros in at least 2-3 months. I highly doubt I'm the only one that wants Mewtwo's hitboxes fixed and want him to be heavier. He got such minuscule buffs that they're hardly even noticeable. I would just be happy with a weight increase and deal with the janky hitboxes because at least then I wont die at 60% from quick smash attack, not even charged. A pokemon that weighs over 200 pounds should not be the second lightest character in the game, it makes no sense

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:happysheep:

Endlag, damage, and speed buffs. Hyper Bomb got it all (Ice Slasher got it too bar damage). They'll all research nerds, so the Mega Man board is actually pretty hyped for these buffs even if they're just customs.

It's pretty much the general consensus in the board that MM doesn't have any real garbage customs (bar maybe Shadow Blade now which was deemed viable enough to hold 3 sets on our EVO list anyway) and are also diverse enough that they support lots of different playstyles and match ups.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Like I said before, "I forget", I've been playing other games, haven't touched Smash Bros in at least 2-3 months. I highly doubt I'm the only one that wants Mewtwo's hitboxes fixed and want him to be heavier. He got such minuscule buffs that they're hardly even noticeable. I would just be happy with a weight increase and deal with the janky hitboxes because at least then I wont die at 60% from quick smash attack, not even charged. A pokemon that weighs over 200 pounds should not be the second lightest character in the game, it makes no sense
There are a couple of threads that discuss Mewtwo's hurtboxes, you might want to check those out.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Run off the ledge and teleport away?

Otherwise wait for the Yoshi to make a mistake?

Yoshi isn't fun.
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 I don't think you should be advocating suicide if you want people's perception of Mewtwo to be better.

Yoshi can be one of those characters that makes you want to punch a hole in the wall sometimes online almost regardless of who you use but it's really not that bad. You can challenge his aerials handily, especially with bair. You'll have to be patient with shielding eggs since Yoshi will make you suffer if you get flustered. And don't sit in shield when he approaches from the air, dair is no joke now, not to mention egg lay.

Basically just don't get frustrated by his eggs and high damage, and calmly answer his attacks with your own if you can react in time. You may also want to put some time in learning to powershield his stuff.

Sonicninja115

Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 I don't think you should be advocating suicide if you want people's perception of Mewtwo to be better.

Yoshi can be one of those characters that makes you want to punch a hole in the wall sometimes online almost regardless of who you use but it's really not that bad. You can challenge his aerials handily, especially with bair. You'll have to be patient with shielding eggs since Yoshi will make you suffer if you get flustered. And don't sit in shield when he approaches from the air, dair is no joke now, not to mention egg lay.

Basically just don't get frustrated by his eggs and high damage, and calmly answer his attacks with your own if you can react in time. You may also want to put some time in learning to powershield his stuff.
Woops, I thought he said something else. Recorded for future deniability.

Last edited:

PEACE7

Smash Champion

Thanks dude. My main problem was i kept landing on top of his upsmash :/ something I'm working on. Will deff keep the advice in mind thanks a bunch ma dude.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thanks dude. My main problem was i kept landing on top of his upsmash :/ something I'm working on. Will deff keep the advice in mind thanks a bunch ma dude.
That, my friend, is a sign that you may need to get more acquainted with and practice the various movement options at Mewtwo's disposal in such a situation (confusion, teleport, shadow ball recoil etc.). It won't be easy to use them well at first but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The key to beating Yoshi is to out-space him. Obviously this applies to virtually every matchup, but it's especially important against Yoshi.

Yoshi's main strengths are extremely high mobility and gigantic hitboxes on key moves combined with quick recovery. Often times what throws people off about Yoshi is that he's able to hit when you think he shouldn't. This is a combination of ridiculous air speed (the highest in the game), and gigantic hitboxes that double the size of his head/tail/whatever. You think you're safe but you're not.

Conversely, his biggest weaknesses are unreliable kill setups (not as much of an issue against the very very light Mewtwo) and very small disjoints. Basically his hurtboxes are almost as big as his hitboxes, and this is what you need to exploit against Yoshi. If Yoshi is chasing you down, you have to run away and attack where his attack is going to be. Don't sit and shield, always juke out of the way. Pivot techniques are very important here. Pivot f-tilt, pivot Confusion, possibly even pivot grab. Even the recoil on Shadow Ball can throw off Yoshi's spacing.

Speaking of Shadow Ball, it's so important to this matchup. Any chance you have, just try to keep a fully charged or close to fully charged Shadow Ball. It completely changes the dynamics of the neutral because now all of that aerial mobility can be negated by the space control Shadow Ball provides. It trades with eggs very well, too.

If Yoshi's aggression isn't working they might try to camp with eggs. Play it smart and sneak in Shadow Ball charges.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've been recently getting into the slight habit of nairing people back onto the stage. It's funny and skips the ledge-guessing game.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Anyone remember me? I haven't been playing a whole lot of Smash lately, and my current computer is pretty laggy when scrolling on certain website(like this one), so I guess I just fell out of the habit of posting here.

I'm not disappointed by the lack of Mewtwo buffs at all. It really wasn't a big patch in the first place, and Nintendo never did anything to imply it would be. All Nintendo announced was that we'd be getting a new stage, and we got one. Many of us Smash fans have a bad habit of getting our expectations too high when it comes to our favorite characters, which causes us far more frustration and disappointment then if we simply accepted things as they came.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone remember me? I haven't been playing a whole lot of Smash lately, and my current computer is pretty laggy when scrolling on certain website(like this one), so I guess I just fell out of the habit of posting here.

I'm not disappointed by the lack of Mewtwo buffs at all. It really wasn't a big patch in the first place, and Nintendo never did anything to imply it would be. All Nintendo announced was that we'd be getting a new stage, and we got one. Many of us Smash fans have a bad habit of getting our expectations too high when it comes to our favorite characters, which causes us far more frustration and disappointment then if we simply accepted things as they came.
I'd imagine patches that add new characters give more incentive to rebalance characters, since you have to test those new ones against all the others anyway and so you may as well make some tweaks to old ones while you're doing so.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Huh, now that I remember, Nintendo always announces when a big balance patch is coming but they always stay quiet when the small ones such as the last one drops by.

Sonicninja115

Huh, now that I remember, Nintendo always announces when a big balance patch is coming but they always stay quiet when the small ones such as the last one drops by.
The next balancing patch will probably be in december with the DLC announcement in the next month or so, unless thay waied to make the character until all the votes had come in.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
So, err.... ok, uh.... I just naively opened the Miiverse, and.... wtf happened with it? They changed everything? Without even a notice this time?
And why change it again already?
Is this part of some Miiverse reformulation that will come with the eShop or something like that?
It is a HUGE change....

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nothing else. The data mining nerds in the NintenZone Social have already confirmed it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm a bit damn frustrated right now. Mewtwo has good aerial mobility but he struggles a lot to land and chase opponents in the air, his double jump is extremely high and has considerable startup which is problematic when I send an opponent in the air and attempt to intercept them like I would with Marth, most of the times I end up jumping past them and now our places get reversed and I've lost the advantage I had. Which brings me to landing, when you double jump with Mewtwo, he goes so high and stays in the air for so long that the opponent has plenty of room to come up with a way to shark me and intercept me, sure you have Confusion as well but it lifts in the air only once per jump and Teleport has considerable ending lag. Wish there was a way to double jump cancel with Mewtwo aside from his specials.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm a bit damn frustrated right now. Mewtwo has good aerial mobility but he struggles a lot to land and chase opponents in the air, his double jump is extremely high and has considerable startup which is problematic when I send an opponent in the air and attempt to intercept them like I would with Marth, most of the times I end up jumping past them and now our places get reversed and I've lost the advantage I had. Which brings me to landing, when you double jump with Mewtwo, he goes so high and stays in the air for so long that the opponent has plenty of room to come up with a way to shark me and intercept me, sure you have Confusion as well but it lifts in the air only once per jump and Teleport has considerable ending lag. Wish there was a way to double jump cancel with Mewtwo aside from his specials.
I don't really chase people that high with Mewtwo unless there's platforms nearby or I'm absolutely positive that I'm going to hit.
Usually I just charge a ball first waiting for them to come back down, then try to hit them with well-spaced bairs or uairs to attack while avoiding retaliation.

This double jump issue isn't unique to Mewtwo, Ness, Lucas and Yoshi (though mitigated by his insame air mobility) all have similar jumps and yet don't have nearly the amount of movement options Mewtwo has. While each may be punishable on their own, the key is to constantly mix up their usage to always keep the opponent guessing. And if nothing else, your height and airspeed should get you to the ledge easily.

You'll generally do better with Mewtwo if you focus on waiting and counterattacking rather than pressing the attack like Zelda's Melee trophy states, but if you're still intent on using your double jump to pursue try inputting it faster so that Mewtwo doesn't fly as high, and can fastfall to the ground more safely.

C3CC

Smash Lord
The article on the Wiki is still wrong... It says that Mewtwo was nerfed on his transition from Melee to Smash 4. Are people stupid or what? How can they even say that when it's OBVIOUS he was tremendously buffed?!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I don't really chase people that high with Mewtwo unless there's platforms nearby or I'm absolutely positive that I'm going to hit.
Usually I just charge a ball first waiting for them to come back down, then try to hit them with well-spaced bairs or uairs to attack while avoiding retaliation.

This double jump issue isn't unique to Mewtwo, Ness, Lucas and Yoshi (though mitigated by his insame air mobility) all have similar jumps and yet don't have nearly the amount of movement options Mewtwo has. While each may be punishable on their own, the key is to constantly mix up their usage to always keep the opponent guessing. And if nothing else, your height and airspeed should get you to the ledge easily.

You'll generally do better with Mewtwo if you focus on waiting and counterattacking rather than pressing the attack like Zelda's Melee trophy states, but if you're still intent on using your double jump to pursue try inputting it faster so that Mewtwo doesn't fly as high, and can fastfall to the ground more safely.
You're probably right, either way I'm just having a bad day for Smash to the point that I lost against subpar players on For Glory which wouldn't happen normally. It must have been the frustrations piling over so I decided to give Smash a rest for a couple of days.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
The article on the Wiki is still wrong... It says that Mewtwo was nerfed on his transition from Melee to Smash 4. Are people stupid or what? How can they even say that when it's OBVIOUS he was tremendously buffed?!
Right? They pretty much buffed every move that wasn't U-throw, B-throw or D-throw (or Shadow Ball to an extent since it doesn't do damage while charging anymore) though they also decreased his weight. The issue with Smash 4 Mewtwo is that this isn't Melee and other supposed low tiers are better compared to the low tiers of Melee's cast. It's like :zeldamelee: to :zelda: where she was buffed in almost every way besides Lightning Kicks and D-smash, but somehow ended up on an even worse place on the tier list in Brawl.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
You shouldn't double jump to chase people off stage. You wait and try to read how they will recover. Then greet them, yell out "DISCIPLINE!", and execute a forward air.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Right? They pretty much buffed every move that wasn't U-throw, B-throw or D-throw (or Shadow Ball to an extent since it doesn't do damage while charging anymore) though they also decreased his weight. The issue with Smash 4 Mewtwo is that this isn't Melee and other supposed low tiers are better compared to the low tiers of Melee's cast. It's like :zeldamelee: to :zelda: where she was buffed in almost every way besides Lightning Kicks and D-smash, but somehow ended up on an even worse place on the tier list in Brawl.
Yeah! Shadow Ball in my opinion wasn't nerfed nor buffed, it was just tweaked. It doesn't hurt while charging anymore (damn you, Lucario, for stealing that feature), its jagged path is less pronounced, but I'm pretty sure it's faster now and I'm sure it's WAY stronger than before. I've managed to get KOs when my opponents are in their 70%s.

But come on! I think Mewtwo's Up Smash is one of the best in the game, Confusion is now a proper reflector (and a great one at that) and Disable is much more useful now. His Teleport was indeed ruined, however. People exaggerate on this, but it is indeed much less reliable now.

I'm going to start a campaign, I swear.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah! Shadow Ball in my opinion wasn't nerfed nor buffed, it was just tweaked. It doesn't hurt while charging anymore (damn you, Lucario, for stealing that feature), its jagged path is less pronounced, but I'm pretty sure it's faster now and I'm sure it's WAY stronger than before. I've managed to get KOs when my opponents are in their 70%s.

But come on! I think Mewtwo's Up Smash is one of the best in the game, Confusion is now a proper reflector (and a great one at that) and Disable is much more useful now. His Teleport was indeed ruined, however. People exaggerate on this, but it is indeed much less reliable now.

I'm going to start a campaign, I swear.
I think I remember that page once theorized that the increased startup was so that it'd be easier to control online.

Other buffs that make Mewtwo better compared to Melee:

-Dash attack. 'Nuff said
-Not having a dumb hurtbox when idle that shield can't cover properly.
-Fair range increased to the point where you don't have to rely exclusively on setups to land it.
-Dair actually being strong enough to be worth going for. Same for all of his smashes.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I think I remember that page once theorized that the increased startup was so that it'd be easier to control online.

Other buffs that make Mewtwo better compared to Melee:

-Dash attack. 'Nuff said
-Not having a dumb hurtbox when idle that shield can't cover properly.
-Fair range increased to the point where you don't have to rely exclusively on setups to land it.
-Dair actually being strong enough to be worth going for. Same for all of his smashes.
All of this! Let's edit that page again and edit that part. Who can do it that's already a member? Because I am not =/

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sometimes when playing For Glory, I run into these japanese players who put up a good fight but then a lag spike happens for a while where the screen freezes before going back to normal. But then after that the player seemingly decides to stop playing probably being put off by the lag because they stop fighting; that already is annoying enough because the rest of the fight goes smoothly enough to not give up, but what is even more infuriating is that despite throwing the towel, they STILL recover to the stage and don't even try to fight back. It's disrespectful and a waste of my time, if you don't want to fight then be gracious enough to SD or stop coming back to the stage.
Anyone else had this problem before? And it has only happened to me with japanese players.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Sometimes when playing For Glory, I run into these japanese players who put up a good fight but then a lag spike happens for a while where the screen freezes before going back to normal. But then after that the player seemingly decides to stop playing probably being put off by the lag because they stop fighting; that already is annoying enough because the rest of the fight goes smoothly enough to not give up, but what is even more infuriating is that despite throwing the towel, they STILL recover to the stage and don't even try to fight back. It's disrespectful and a waste of my time, if you don't want to fight then be gracious enough to SD or stop coming back to the stage.
Anyone else had this problem before? And it has only happened to me with japanese players.
Didn't you lose connection with him and he just got replaced by a dumb dummy CPU?
It looks like a FG CPU for me....

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Your opponent has been disconnected/ has left the battle (probably because of the lag) and got replaced by a CPU.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Didn't you lose connection with him and he just got replaced by a dumb dummy CPU?
It looks like a FG CPU for me....
Your opponent has been disconnected/ has left the battle (probably because of the lag) and got replaced by a CPU.
Wait, what? I didn't know that.
I always figure that if someone got disconnected the match would abruptly end, kind of like in Pokemon. Except that that has never happened... this explains a lot of things.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wait, what? I didn't know that.
I always figure that if someone got disconnected the match would abruptly end, kind of like in Pokemon. Except that that has never happened... this explains a lot of things.
It can happen... but it's very rare. Basically there has to be an absolutely atrocious connection for the game to say "ok we'll just call this a no contest because the connection is so bad".

The game did abruptly end upon a player leaving in Brawl, however.

Top Bottom