• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Alright, so, a few points against the Dr. Mario stage leak have come up, and I figured I'd address them here and see what you guys think. Here goes!

1. The retro Viruses located in the background are in exactly the same pose in every screenshot!
Take a look at the pictures. As you can see, every image has the Viruses posed in the exact same manner. Initially, this can seem offsetting, but such is not the case. Every image, save for two, uses a static snapshot of the stage as a preview picture. This, of course, makes perfect sense, since every other stage in the game uses the same static image for their previews, as well. Now, granted, there are two gameplay screenshots that show the Viruses in the same pose. However, if this stage goes by the original Dr. Mario, then each Virus only has two or three frames of animation, which means there is a 33.3-50% chance that two gameplay screenshots will have the Viruses posed the same. That's actually pretty high odds.

2. The giant Megavitamins in the foreground have a thick, black line through their middle!
Take a look at the pictures again. Notice how the Megavitamins have a thick, black line around their centers. Some people have been saying that, due to this not lining up with their recent appearances, the leak must be fake. I beg to differ. I believe this was a deliberate decision made by Sakurai in order to cause a starker contrast between the two halves of the Megavitamins. It causes each half to stand out more, as well as making the Megavitamins themselves more eye-catching. More likely than not, Sakurai chose to do this in order to increase the Megavitamins' visibility, which is, of course, a logical decision, given their apparent prominence on the stage.

3. The aspect ratio for the Stage Select screen is missed up!
I'll admit, this one stumped me for a minute, but it really doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Take a look. Apparently, the aspect ratio for a few of the stages are messed up, which some people claim decreases the credibility of this leak. Once again, I present a counterargument. Look at the picture used as the basis for this argument, and then refer to the pictures above once more. Obviously, the pictures were taken off-screen and at an angle. Naturally, this can screw over the aspect ratio due to the angle, and, since that's the only reference we have, it's reasonable to assume that the angle of the camera is what's throwing off the aspect ratio.

4. The character-tile size ratio is off!
The argument.
The defeat of the argument.

In conclusion...
I'm still pretty confident that the Dr. Mario stage leak is real. These arguments may have dampened my hopes slightly, but I still think the leak's odds of being true are overwhelmingly large. No solid counterargument has been developed as of yet, and I think that should definitely elicit some serious consideration of this leak's validity. We'll see come Friday. What do you guys think? Are you still believers, or are you convinced that the Dr. Mario stage leak is fake? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Lloyd Irving confirmed!
...as a Mii costume.

See for yourselves!

We've also got Teddy Bears and Flying Men uniforms to go with it. But wait, there's more! Apparently, even more Mii costumes are going to be unveiled tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed for that Dr. Mario stage, as well. But, in the meantime, I think we should all prepare for the Dead Sea to rise over the Lloyd costume:p. I remember when some people had convinced themselves that Lloyd would be a more fitting Namco rep than Pac-Man...

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I don't thnk Great Bay is legit, even though I'd like it to be. I liked that stage, but what I really want to return is Fourside.

Dr. Mario, on the other hand, is definitely real.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't thnk Great Bay is legit, even though I'd like it to be. I liked that stage, but what I really want to return is Fourside.

Dr. Mario, on the other hand, is definitely real.
Great Bay definitely isn't legit. All of the resources used to make it can be found in one of my earlier posts.

Dr. Mario, however, probably is. You're totally right about that, too. The only argument that even approaches solidity is the one about the leak messing up the Stage Select screen's aspect ratio, but even that can be explained. The only pictures the skeptic had to work with were taken from off-screen and at an angle, and that alone is enough to screw over the aspect ratio. I'd be willing to put several Pokémon Dollars on the Dr. Mario stage leak being real.

Also, more evidence that the Dr. Mario leak is real. I found this on NeoGAF. It's worth looking over. We'll see come Friday, but I'll be awfully surprised if this leak turns out to be a fake. If so, then it's easily one of the best fakes since ArtsyOmni and his Rayman shenanigan.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm just going to assume the Dr.Mario stage is fake for the time being. It looks convincing, but some parts just don't line up.
It's always best to play safe with these things so you don't let your hopes get too high just to be disappointed.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm just going to assume the Dr.Mario stage is fake for the time being. It looks convincing, but some parts just don't line up.
It's always best to play safe with these things so you don't let your hopes get too high just to be disappointed.
Pourquoi? Everything seems to line up to me. What looks to be the matter with it?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Look at the pics again.
http://imgur.com/a/Q0b47

Doctor Mario stage leak! Looks pretty legit.
The stage, the omega, the select screen, and even characters fighting pixel perfect on it.

That stage is ****ing real.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
#Dr.MarioIsReal2015
I am Dr. Mario and I make Mewtwo cry!
I'm completely different, look!
(Got rid of FLUDD, now I spin, throwing pills, FTW!)
I am Dr. Mario, so Ridley say goodbye!
Oh, you wanted King K. Rool?
BAHAHAHAHA... No.
In Super Smash Bros. I will always be top tier!
Geno, Roy, and Isaac fanboys, I'll be drinking your tears!
Brightly colored pills! They'll rack up the kills!
Who needs originality when you have skills?
Lucas and Wolf.
Ice Climbers, too.
Get rid of them all!
The Doc is coming through! ...*****.
"Goku and Shrek, plz!" No.
"Shadow and Dixie!" No.
Meta Knight got rekt, so I'm the new OP!
We've Mario and Luigi
Rosalina and Miss Peachy
Yoshi, Bowser, and his kiddies,
Wario, no Waluigi.
Ghirahim and Takamaru?
No way, Lucina and Pittoo!
You miss Poké Trainer, do you?
Ivysaur and Squirtle? Boo-hoo.
Hold up!
Fanboys!
Would you,
Chill?

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I am Dr. Mario and I make Mewtwo cry!
I'm completely different, look!
(Got rid of FLUDD, now I spin, throwing pills, FTW!)
I am Dr. Mario, so Ridley say goodbye!
Oh, you wanted King K. Rool?
BAHAHAHAHA... No.
In Super Smash Bros. I will always be top tier!
Geno, Roy, and Isaac fanboys, I'll be drinking your tears!
Brightly colored pills! They'll rack up the kills!
Who needs originality when you have skills?
Lucas and Wolf.
Ice Climbers, too.
Get rid of them all!
The Doc is coming through! ...*****.
"Goku and Shrek, plz!" No.
"Shadow and Dixie!" No.
Meta Knight got rekt, so I'm the new OP!
We've Mario and Luigi
Rosalina and Miss Peachy
Yoshi, Bowser, and his kiddies,
Wario, no Waluigi.
Ghirahim and Takamaru?
No way, Lucina and Pittoo!
You miss Poké Trainer, do you?
Ivysaur and Squirtle? Boo-hoo.
Hold up!
Fanboys!
Would you,
Chill?
Lol, love the sig.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So the update is released. Mewtwo and Marthcina buffs please.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I've developed a habit of using Mewtwo's Down Smash as a taunt at the edge my opponent dies closest to. It's like "See you in another Dimension!" *Boom*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Look at the pics again.

The stage, the omega, the select screen, and even characters fighting pixel perfect on it.

That stage is ****ing real.
Actually, there was something with an aspect ratio that didn't add up, Dreamland, Miiverse and Suzaka Castle were fine, the leaked stages however, got stretched out iirc Vaanrose found out

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
The buffs seem so...arbitrary. They're not exactly her most useful moves and I don't think the slight buffs will change that. Random bones being thrown at us while her metagame is still being evaluated?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The buffs seem so...arbitrary. They're not exactly her most useful moves and I don't think the slight buffs will change that. Random bones being thrown at us while her metagame is still being evaluated?
Hopefully next patch. Maybe after seeing how non-viable Mewtwo is in tourney mode they'll be more forced to.

999% in training mode, seeing FThrow and Disable kill is amazing.. if only.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They buffed FThrow a bit. And there's something going on with his movement that makes him feel just a tiny bit different. It's not speed though.
Is his air friction better? Better traction? Shorter initial dash or pivot speed?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The Dr. Mario stage leak was fake. And the funny thing is, I'm not mad, or upset, or anything. I'm simply amazed at how real-looking it was. I wanna know how they made it so convincing!

The Mewtwo buffs are looking pretty good. I haven't gotten a chance to play yet, but, going off what you guys are saying, I'm slightly optimistic. Every little bit counts!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Edit 2: OK, so, I did some more testing, and the Teleport ledge-bounce glitch seems to have diminished, though it hasn't been entirely removed. Apparently, you now have to Teleport from a very specific distance away from the ledge. Basically, in order for the glitch to actually take effect, you have to exit Teleport right below the ledge. Otherwise, you should be fine. Oh, and I did all of my testing on Boxing Ring, in case any of you are wondering.

On a side note, I was playing a friendly match with my brother, and discovered that, if Mewtwo air dodges while holding an item, then the item in question no longer spins around lightning-fast. Instead, it vanishes and reappears alongside Mewtwo. I know that it's not really a buff, but I thought it was a nice touch. I always hated the way items span around whenever Mewtwo air dodged, so I'm glad Sakurai finally decided to fix that.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So I heard Mewtwo got some buffs...albeit ones that aren't really that good.
I particularly like the F-Throw buff in damage, now it's actually a damage throw instead of one that's just...there.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
So I heard Mewtwo got some buffs...albeit ones that aren't really that good.
I particularly like the F-Throw buff in damage, now it's actually a damage throw instead of one that's just...there.
I wouldn't say they're bad buffs. I mean, Mewtwo's F-Tilt is now faster, his D-Smash now has more favorable knockback scaling, and, as you mentioned, his F-Throw can now be used to rack up damage. For a character that's only been in the game for about 3 1/2 months, I'd say Mewtwo is doing pretty good. I think we can expect to see more dramatic changes next patch, since Sakurai and the development team will probably have a better grasp of how he interacts with the rest of the cast by then.

On a loosely similar note, I, for one, am immensely enjoying Hyrule Castle (64) and Peach's Castle (64). They're just as fun as I remember them being. I hope we get just a few more 64 stages. Those things were the greatest!

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Yeah, Hyrule Castle is the best thing to come out of this update IMO. Best SSB64 stage. =D

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I'm so jealous of you people with all the new stages. My Eshop balance is close to zero so I practically have to wait for my birthday to get my balance back up. I haven't had the chance to try out Mewtwo yet because of work but I should be playing the game real soon.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't think I can choose one Smash 64 stage to be my favorite. They were all so great, and each one was fun to play on. However, Sector Z is definitely up there, along with Hyrule Castle and Yoshi's Island (which I would love to see back). Though I definitely enjoyed Peach's Castle, I don't remember it being one of my favorites way back when. But, now that it's in Smash 4, I love everything about it. In particular, I like how the Bumper still deals 1%, just like it did in Smash 64, a feature that was removed in subsequent installments. That's a really nice touch, in my opinion. Oh, and I'm quite pleased with the song selections of both of the new retro stages.

As for them being legal, I have my doubts. If I remember correctly, Hyrule Castle was usually banned in Smash 64 because of the "Tent," which allowed for some insane combos. That said, given Smash 4's physics and overall lack of hitstun, which discourages the "zero-to-death" combos that Smash 64 is notorious for, I wouldn't be too surprised if Hyrule Castle is either legal or a counterpick this time around.

Peach's Castle will probably retain its counterpick status from Smash 64. The Bumper, smallish size, and shifting platform will probably prevent it from becoming a completely legal stage, but I can totally see Peach's Castle being a counterpick. That's my two cents, anyway.

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
I dont think either of the dlc stages will be competitive. Definitely fun to mess with around in friendlies though!

Also yay mewtwo buffs!
Sonic nerfs were really uneeded. (why is sonic getting hit harder than sheik.....)

Lucas buffs are krey too. Dtilt grab PogChamp

Last edited:
Top Bottom