• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Only buffs Mewtwo needs as of right now would be some kind of quality of life buff. His grab and side b feel like they could use a bit more range, and his up b either needs more range or less lag. MAYBE raise his jab speed a frame since its surprisingly slow

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
git gud

I love how people are crying for buffs/"adjustments" on Day 3. Seriously people, let him develop first.

Smooth Criminal

I hope you're not serious.

Mewtwo has the tools of a good character, but he does not have the weight to back him up. Even worse is because of how big he is it makes him easier to hit. His grab range is terrible and his f-tilt should come out faster.

It's like playing Rosalina without a broken neutral game, even more size, and even less weight.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Mewtwo has the tools of a good character, but he does not have the weight to back him up. Even worse is because of how big he is it makes him easier to hit. His grab range is terrible and his f-tilt should come out faster.

It's like playing Rosalina without a broken neutral game, even more size, and even less weight.
You are expecting to fully master something in 3 days, mark my words, Mewtwo WILL be shown being perfectly capable of winning matches

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm trying to get into the habit of using air dodges in place of most of my usual rolls. It makes you less predictable, and they are also far less punishable then his rolls are.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I just won 39 fights in a row on For Glory using Mewtwo :) But then I took a break to have lunch.

Man, Mewtwo is just so fun. His attitude is just out of this world. I feel like a boss playing as him, like I'm too full of myself, and man...

Mewtwo is far too powerful...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Warning Received
git gud

I love how people are crying for buffs/"adjustments" on Day 3. Seriously people, let him develop first.

Smooth Criminal
Git gud at contributing to a conversation. Then again with a guy who uses dedede whose attacks match every animation you really shouldn't be opening that fat beak of yours.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

You could abuse his mobility, his jab 1, and his suite of tilts (why are you ftilting and not dtilting to space, bro?).

C'mon, Mantis, this character is pretty robust even with his glaring faults. Let's see if he has tech before we dismiss him, yeah?

Oh this is rich:

Git gud at contributing to a conversation. Then again with a guy who uses dedede whose attacks match every animation you really shouldn't be opening that fat beak of yours.
At least I've contributed more than just piss and vinegar. Also, I'm not a penguin IRL. Wish I was.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright calm down everyone. It's getting a little too heated for a social thread.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I just won 39 fights in a row on For Glory using Mewtwo :) But then I took a break to have lunch.

Man, Mewtwo is just so fun. His attitude is just out of this world. I feel like a boss playing as him, like I'm too full of myself, and man...

Mewtwo is far too powerful...
That's the right attitude to have.

Alright calm down everyone. It's getting a little too heated for a social thread.
Yeah, it is. Mewtwo would be highly disappointed in the all the fuss that's been going on here.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I dunno guys, I find Mewtwo really unique and fun to play... not sure if he needs buffs at the moment... shouldn't we give it a little time? Yeah, currently he may be bad, but I think it's way too early to be calling for buffs. None of us really know how to play him yet. Many have stated this already and I agree with them.
Gonna have to disagree. NOW is the best time to ask for changes because the devs would be more inclined to change him. If we take our sweet time, the devs will think he's fine and not bother with changing him which would be a problem if he's actually underpowered. Settling isn't the same as balanced. Let's not forget that.

And especially since there's that GSP bug, it would be nice if they can include a buff in that inevitable patch coming soon.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I just don't like throwing an attack and watching Mewtwo's tail sail through my opponents body harmlessly.

That's all.

I don't think weight class is going anywhere.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I just don't like throwing an attack and watching Mewtwo's tail sail through my opponents body harmlessly.

That's all.

I don't think weight class is going anywhere.
There's not much to fix tbh. Like I've been saying:

- Increase speed since he's a glass cannon
- Increase hitboxes (like dtilt, utilt, etc.)
- MAYBE increase launch capabilities
- Increase volume in his SFX :)

That's all Sakurai

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

That's all Sakurai
And really that is all he needs. I miss his damaging shadow ball but if we sacrificed it for the amazing recoil which I prefer to call shadow force then I will take that.

It is hard to hear him a lot. Very muffled.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Well after getting complete trashed by LV.9 CPU's on day 1 I can finally say I win 90% of the time against them. Mewtwo really is fun to use but he does need buffs.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548

That's all Sakurai
Dtilt already has crazy range since his tail is so long
rest is fine

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Dtilt already has crazy range since his tail is so long
rest is fine
Yeah Dtilt is actually good as is. I only find occasionally his aerials and sometimes UTilt will miss due to the hitboxes not matching the animation. Best example is Fair(Psycho Cut) where the Slashing graphic doesn't always hit mainly because the actual hitbox is where Mewtwo's hand is. On huge characters it won't be a problem but on smaller characters if you try to followup on a SH Fair into your 2nd jump with another it is very possible to completely miss the target.

So for right now it's best to figure out where the hitboxes actually are then where the game says they are if that makes any sense.

Dair is also fine. If you missed it's because you actually missed. The hitbox on that one is where it says it is.

D

Deleted member

For all of those saying "it is only day [X]", allow me to say this:
During the smash fest, (my first time playing Smash Wii U), I picked up Mario and beat my opponents, scoring 5 kills and dying 0 times.

During the first time I played Smash 3DS, I picked up Wii Fit Trainer and obliterated people on For Glory, never even losing once. Wii Fit is now one of my mains.

During the first time I played Smash Wii U (post purchase), I picked up Zelda, went online, won some matches on For Glory, and didn't lose any.

During the first time I played Mewtwo, I went online, won 4 matches, and then got my a**** kicked for the rest of them. I fought 12 matches total. I lost eight times, and I have won online tournaments before, I have fought pros and eliminated them, yet Mewtwo just scored me some losses. So no, he isn't "good" he's pathetic, and I'm only saying this because I like Mewtwo, and being the type of person I am, when something I like falters in quality, I will bash it (and see if I can make the thing better).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Gonna have to agree and disagree. A character being accessible for any number of days doesn't magically make a character play and perform better over time.

But through many people playing the game and lo and behold having the same problems and concerns "might" get patched in a later update which may result in a nerf or a buff to any given character.

It's why Bowser's Flying Slam now gives him a bit more priority due to how bugged it was and still is, and is also why Diddy Kong received a ton of nerfs.

And that is because not one small group was crying about it. A lot of people were.

But you have to remember it was players finding these problems in relation to other characters people used to begin with. And that's what matters I think and beyond that it is acknowledging these problems a character has and devising ways to work around them to make a character function.

TLDR

If people have a problem you have to speak up. Suffering in silence won't tell Sakurai anything.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Up throw will kill Mario on Final Destination at 131% without DI. Back throw near the ledge does it around 101%.
Back throw at the center does it at 168%. If you grabbed someone, and you weren't near the ledge, would you use up throw or back throw? I'd imagine you'd use up throw because it kills 37% earlier from the center. I can't think of any reason to use back throw in such a scenario, and you're definitely not only going to be getting grabs near the ledge. Also, keep in mind that there are stages with lower ceilings than FD to counterpick to.

And yeah, his neutral isn't great.
It's fine.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah, maybe in the front. It doesn't make sense that there's no hitbox behind when he does a complete spin.
On this point I can agree. Unless he was designed to have every attack target a specific direction. He really has no attack option to hit on both sides of him.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
For all of those saying "it is only day [X]", allow me to say this:
During the smash fest, (my first time playing Smash Wii U), I picked up Mario and beat my opponents, scoring 5 kills and dying 0 times.

During the first time I played Smash 3DS, I picked up Wii Fit Trainer and obliterated people on For Glory, never even losing once. Wii Fit is now one of my mains.

During the first time I played Smash Wii U (post purchase), I picked up Zelda, went online, won some matches on For Glory, and didn't lose any.

During the first time I played Mewtwo, I went online, won 4 matches, and then got my a**** kicked for the rest of them. I fought 12 matches total. I lost eight times, and I have won online tournaments before, I have fought pros and eliminated them, yet Mewtwo just scored me some losses. So no, he isn't "good" he's pathetic, and I'm only saying this because I like Mewtwo, and being the type of person I am, when something I like falters in quality, I will bash it (and see if I can make the thing better).
that argue is invalid because:

Mewtwo never released with the others, so battling with mewtwo on for glory is basically playing with someone that isnt well known against someone that has brushed their abilities to their character in months.
many do indeed learn a character fast enough already after someday which those mewtwos did, so it means you either got outplayed or just didnt learn mewtwos fully potential in those days like you did with the others

Ulevo

Smash Master
"Unless you're at the ledge." What does Mewtwo's B-Throw kill at when he's elsewhere, such as the center of the stage?

And you're not proving anything by just saying that his neutral is bad. You need evidence to back that up.
I know what you said. I'm emphasizing how great a difference there is in kill disparity.

Mewtwo's neutral game is poor because he needs to auto cancel his forward air by rising from a short hop which leaves him vulnerable to counter-attack for any character that stays within his range. This is especially a problem since the hitbox will come out near the apex of the short hop, and will often miss on even the tallest characters if they're performing certain actions. Against mid height and short heigh characters, it's very unsafe. Down tilt is very good, but it doesn't hit aerial targets. His movement is poor, he has spacing tools that are specific, not generic in their use, and he has problems applying pressure. On top of this, he has no adequate tools for resetting or maintaining neutral since his roll frames and Teleport are terrible.

I didn't think I needed to lay it out for you when it's already pretty obvious.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Back throw at the center does it at 168%. If you grabbed someone, and you weren't near the ledge, would you use up throw or back throw? I'd imagine you'd use up throw because it kills 37% earlier from the center. I can't think of any reason to use back throw in such a scenario, and you're definitely not only going to be getting grabs near the ledge. Also, keep in mind that there are stages with lower ceilings than FD to counterpick to.
Normally I don't pull the get good card, but if you're not landing back throws off your edge guards, which is one of the only advantageous states of Mewtwo's gameplay, then you're just a bad player that needs to improve. Back throws near a ledge are going to happen way more than trying to land a grab mid-stage where the neutral is, which is where Mewtwo suffers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom