• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
A huge fyi to everyone here, the tournament bracket sign up has been posted on the Mewtwo Tourney page!
Be sure to sign up while you still have the chance!

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I don't care about that. Anything is better than him being trash twice in a row and him enduring even more nerfs from what was already horrible in Melee.

Sorry.
No need to apologize at all. With Mewtwo being one of my top favorite video game characters, I'm all for buffs with him.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
I actually deeply hope that Mewtwo will get some buffs patched fast.

And I think, him being a DLC character actually gives him high chances of being buffed earlier, I mean imagine:
it is very painful, to buy a character for 4€ because you see the character and are totally excited about him being DLC (and that will be the case for a lot of people when they see Mewtwo) but, after finally purchasing and playing him you only struggle in every match.

If Nintendo notices, that, a character people payed extra money for is doing poorly, I feel they are more pressured into fixing said character. Or else, it will reflect badly on their future DLC characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Maybe another update will be released once Mewtwo is available to purchase at the eShop. There are some bugs that need fixing after all, especially for Multi-Man Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually deeply hope that Mewtwo will get some buffs patched fast.

And I think, him being a DLC character actually gives him high chances of being buffed earlier, I mean imagine:
it is very painful, to buy a character for 4€ because you see the character and are totally excited about him being DLC (and that will be the case for a lot of people when they see Mewtwo) but, after finally purchasing and playing him you only struggle in every match.

If Nintendo notices, that, a character people payed extra money for is doing poorly, I feel they are more pressured into fixing said character. Or else, it will reflect badly on their future DLC characters.
I just don't see why Sakurai would make this "special exception" for Mewtwo because of his popularity as the first 'free' DLC character (under conditions) and base him, one of the most powerful Pokémon in his universe, on statistical weakness as his base. "Accurate representation" my arse... :4ganondorf:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
What I suggest we do is play mewtwo in online smash mode in glory and fun everyday.

They don't look at 1v1 data that much.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
There have been a couple instances in watching Mewtwo videos where I've seen him land Upsmash, but even though the opponent gets hit by the first part of the multihit, at some point they're able to pull their shield out. For example at about 1:30 in this match he's hit by the Upsmash but able to shield. I've seen it before as well, I think against a Dedede. Is this something that can be done consistently? Because if so, that's pretty awful. You would think they would have fixed multihit moves by now.

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong 's salt is real here. Po' Diddy.

You know what I think? I get the feeling we're essentially "beta-testing" Mewtwo. I'd be very surprised if the 28th didn't come with an additional update for him (especially considering the 10-man smash glitch). My hope is that any changes done to Mewtwo will patch those glaring problems of his, but I don't wish him to become a more intuitive character or to lose that high-risk high-reward attribute of his. That would take the challenge out of learning him and the reward of playing him well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well honestly Rabbit, am mostly just extremely dissapointed because Mewtwo is the only true character that I wanted in out of all newcomers. The 'salt' is just Mewtwo failing to live up to my expectations, and I just hope that with voicing my complaints, people hopefully do the same and the internet becomes full of 'Mewtwo buff' complaints as much as there where 'Hoo Hah nerf' complaints before the 1.06 patch.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I've really being enjoying Mewtwo on days 2 and 3. He's still a weird character that takes time to adjust to, but I can tell that I'm understanding him more and getting better with him each day. I still find his weight stupid, but it sort of makes sense from gameplay perspective since they're really pushing for a glass cannon thing with him. Lighter than a short 2D man though? Smh.

Anyways, I find Mewtwo's d-throw to be very comparable to that of Greninja's. Neither lead into anything guaranteed, but they put Mewtwo/Greninja in a very advantageous positions that can lead into possible mixups and followups.

For example, both have a great chance at getting a running U-smash followup at mid-high percents on many characters (especially fast fallers like Falcon, Fox and Greninja) but can also opt for an f-air, n-air or U-air if they decide to jump or are too floaty for the U-smash to connect. I've gotten quite a few kills so far with D-throw --> U-smash despite it not being guaranteed at all.

At lower percents, Mewtwo can try for either D-tilt, N-air, F-smash, D-smash, Shadow Ball or even another grab/Confusion. The mixups out of D-throw should be used and explored. It's not a bad throw at all.

D

Deleted member

Is it just me, or do I feel that if Melee-Mewtwo's moveset was just flat-out ripped into Smash 4, that he'd not only be better than Failed-Experiment Mewtwo, but he'd probably be at least A-tier potential?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
played Mewtwo against a really good peach in for glory, I won <3

speaking of buffs, as much as I like the current mewtwo, he has some unneeded flaws that I think he shouldnt have:
  1. I know he is ment to be a Glass Cannon, but being the 2nd lightest is too much, he would be much better as 4th-6th lightest and still keep the glass cannon effect

2. many of his attacks are well balanced in term of power, speed and lag. but some are unbalanced so its useless! UAir needs to be much more faster and end lag, Dthrow needs to be faster end lag, UTilt Need to have faster end lag, same with FTilt. BAir needs to be faster overall and have a earlier end lag! Disable needs faster start up. UpThrow need to kill little earlier at 100-110% instead for 120 and higher%

3. Confusion needs a hitstun on the opponent, making you have a fast opening for mewtwo instead for a both is able to do something the same time

4. a better hitbox on Grab, so it can grab better and not whiff

5. the Shadow Ball charge deals damage OR is little faster
Maybe another update will be released once Mewtwo is available to purchase at the eShop. There are some bugs that need fixing after all, especially for Multi-Man Smash.
lets hope there will be a buffs for Mewtwo when the day is come

D

Deleted member

The problem with you guy's class canon philosophy is that as opposed to actually being one, Mewtwo is instead like a Glass-Canon that shatters before it can even attack.

Not only is his damage/speed output average, but the moment Mewtwo gets hit, the only thing left to worry about is which K.O-SFX you prefer the most.

They dreamed of creating the most powerful pokemon... And they Failed

Last edited by a moderator:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I just don't see why Sakurai would make this "special exception" for Mewtwo because of his popularity as the first 'free' DLC character (under conditions) and base him, one of the most powerful Pokémon in his universe, on statistical weakness as his base. "Accurate representation" my arse... :4ganondorf:
I don't think making a god tier character for DLC would go over that well with players either. Pay 2 Win complaints everywhere. They tried to make Mewtwo balanced with the cast but probably played it a bit too safe with the weaknesses vs strengths.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
who else dies becuse they use shadow ball instead of recovering
I figured out the max height/distance in training mode, so it's not usually an issue. What I die from is failing to successfully ubB ledge cancel. Such a shame especially on FG.

@ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong 's salt is real here. Po' Diddy.

You know what I think? I get the feeling we're essentially "beta-testing" Mewtwo. I'd be very surprised if the 28th didn't come with an additional update for him (especially considering the 10-man smash glitch). My hope is that any changes done to Mewtwo will patch those glaring problems of his, but I don't wish him to become a more intuitive character or to lose that high-risk high-reward attribute of his. That would take the challenge out of learning him and the reward of playing him well.
This is why I think he should be FASTER instead of HEAVIER. And if they added more hitboxes to some of his moves, he'd be perfect. Not OP perfect but balanced perfect. High risk vs high reward is definitely something I love about his playstyle.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I love how people are complaining that Mewtwo is so underpowered, and I'm just sitting here, still co-maining Charizard.

Seriously. Mewtwo's not that bad. Not amazing, but still not that bad.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I love how people are complaining that Mewtwo is so underpowered, and I'm just sitting here, still co-maining Charizard.

Seriously. Mewtwo's not that bad. Not amazing, but still not that bad.
Charizard's hit box all match their ****ing animations though. No memorization magician required.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hmm...I sense grumpiness. Maybe I should come back later.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
His grab is off tho
Charizard's grab is still incredible, though. Let's give it that.
This is true. However charizard will be landing more aerials then mewtwo ever will. It is kinda like meta knight all over again.
Aside from 'Zards terrible air speed, inferior jump height, and landing lag, right?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I dunno guys, I find Mewtwo really unique and fun to play... not sure if he needs buffs at the moment... shouldn't we give it a little time? Yeah, currently he may be bad, but I think it's way too early to be calling for buffs. None of us really know how to play him yet. Many have stated this already and I agree with them.

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
And can still hit with a fair consistently. With mewtwo you pretty much have to visualize the real hit box
What's the issue with the move hitting how it really should..? Shouldn't that make it more satisfying considering it kills pretty early?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
the only buffs i think mew2 needs in my book is a bigger grab hitbox.If i'm standing right next to someone and can't grab them that's just bad.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I dunno guys, I find Mewtwo really unique and fun to play... not sure if he needs buffs at the moment... shouldn't we give it a little time? Yeah, currently he may be bad, but I think it's way too early to be calling for buffs. None of us really know how to play him yet. Many have stated this already and I agree with them.
All of this. Patience is a virtue, after all.

Top Bottom