• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Normally I don't pull the get good card, but if you're not landing back throws off your edge guards, which is one of the only advantageous states of Mewtwo's gameplay, then you're just a bad player that needs to improve. Back throws near a ledge are going to happen way more than trying to land a grab mid-stage where the neutral is, which is where Mewtwo suffers.
When did I say I didn't land back throws near a ledge? You wrote off Mewtwo's up throw as useless because his back throw kills earlier near the ledge. In truth, both of them are useful for killing in different situations. With that said, landing grabs in neutral is a rather important part of this game and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Learning curves are a thing people.
Saying "Oh I picked up Mario and kicked ass with him day one at Smash Fest!"
Cool Story Bro. Tell it again.
Mario's one of the most basic characters in the game and received minor changes from Brawl.

Mewtwo skipped Brawl and is a DLC character released 6/7 months after the 3DS version. Mewtwo also plays very differently to other characters. Just because Mewtwo doesn't suit you/you can't be bothered to put the time in to learn Mewtwo doesn't make it "rubbish"

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
All we need now is that petition to bar Mewtwo from disgracing herself from future super smash bros games!

Ulevo

Smash Master
When did I say I didn't land back throws near a ledge? You wrote off Mewtwo's up throw as useless because his back throw kills earlier near the ledge. In truth, both of them are useful for killing in different situations. With that said, landing grabs in neutral is a rather important part of this game and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly.
I am not saying his up throw is useless. I'm saying it is not nearly as powerful as it should be because its his defining throw, meanwhile you will be killing with back throw a lot more often and a lot earlier just because Mewtwo has better options near the ledge when guarding someone much in the same way Ness does. You talk about how landing grabs in neutral is important, meanwhile his neutral is bad.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I love it when things with this guy just flow together outta nowhere.

I was behind one of my friends earlier and brought it back with a near 0(~10%)-death by doing

Full Shadowball > Fair > Nair > Bair > Bair > Downspike

While it's not a true combo or anything it felt good to pull that out of nowhere and know exactly how to follow it up in that moment. >:3

Can't get over how fun this dude is.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
At the end of the day I will still be maining Mewtwo regardless of viability. I play for fun first and foremost.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Is anybody playing Mewtwo? :D
Nope, since he's a newer character, players have to gentlemen agreement to him. I guess cuz of his exposure? Dont really think many would be playing him anyways.

BUT WE HAVE SONIC Kreygasm

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Nope, since he's a newer character, players have to gentlemen agreement to him. I guess cuz of his exposure? Dont really think many would be playing him anyways.

BUT WE HAVE SONIC Kreygasm
Shame, I wanted to see some high level Mewtwo action...

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who misses Mewtwo's K.O/extreme damage SFXs from Melee? they made me both ecstatic and somber.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Am I the only one who misses Mewtwo's K.O/extreme damage SFXs from Melee? they made me both ecstatic and somber.
I find it quite creepy that Mewtwo still sounds like a sinister being in Smash 3DS / Wii U. But I guess Sakurai wanted Smash 3DS / Wii U Mewtwo to be more like the one from the Kanto region, instead of the one from the Unova region. Ironically, it's the Unova Mewtwo who can Mega Evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I find it quite creepy that Mewtwo still sounds like a sinister being in Smash 3DS / Wii U. But I guess Sakurai wanted Smash 3DS / Wii U Mewtwo to be more like the one from the Kanto region, instead of the one from the Unova region. Ironically, it's the Unova Mewtwo who can Mega Evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y.
Isn't there something about multiple mewtwo's existing? Like kanto and the one from x/y being different?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
A Mewtwo like that probably would've been better if it Mega Evolved into Mega Mewtwo X, instead of Mega Mewtwo Y.
Classic Two never mega evolved into X either, so it wouldn't make any more sense then Y.

But I still don't see what's so wrong with it.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
There is a tournament here today, but Mewtwo is 'gentleman's agreement' here as well, which is annoying. There is no point in entering because I won't even be able to use my main. :/

Anyway, I tried some wifi last night but the lag was so bad that I literally could not even move. The signal into my room is quite weak so I might have to move my Wii-U.

@Norple @ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix @SaucyDancer would you like to play sometime? Or do you guys know of any other Australian's looking to practice/play?

@ミスティック Speed I'd still like to play you but I'll have to test out the lag more and see if I can make it better. :D

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
There is a tournament here today, but Mewtwo is 'gentleman's agreement' here as well, which is annoying. There is no point in entering because I won't even be able to use my main. :/

Anyway, I tried some wifi last night but the lag was so bad that I literally could not even move. The signal into my room is quite weak so I might have to move my Wii-U.

@Norple @ CyberHyperPhoenix CyberHyperPhoenix @SaucyDancer would you like to play sometime? Or do you guys know of any other Australian's looking to practice/play?

@ミスティック Speed I'd still like to play you but I'll have to test out the lag more and see if I can make it better. :D
My internet is absolute **** right now, sorry :ohwell: DX

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I am not saying his up throw is useless.
5) Up throw is highly disappointing. It's stronger than most up throws, yes, but why would you ever use it when you can just back throw near a blast zone?
Sounds like you're questioning why it should ever be used.

I'm saying it is not nearly as powerful as it should be because its his defining throw, meanwhile you will be killing with back throw a lot more often and a lot earlier just because Mewtwo has better options near the ledge when guarding someone much in the same way Ness does.
It would definitely be neat if up and back throw were stronger. Ness gets the strongest kill throw in the game by far, but Sakurai seems afraid to give Mewtwo similar power.

When someone is on the ledge, essentially the only way to get a back throw is if they ledge roll. Their other options are immune to getting back thrown from the stage, unfortunately. This makes up throw much more reliable as a whole. If Mewtwo's back throw were as strong as Ness's, it would be a much more viable option, but it's simply outclassed by up throw as it stands. Back throw definitely has its niche uses, however.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Sounds like you're questioning why it should ever be used.

It would definitely be neat if up and back throw were stronger. Ness gets the strongest kill throw in the game by far, but Sakurai seems afraid to give Mewtwo similar power.

When someone is on the ledge, essentially the only way to get a back throw is if they ledge roll. Their other options are immune to getting back thrown from the stage, unfortunately. This makes up throw much more reliable as a whole. If Mewtwo's back throw were as strong as Ness's, it would be a much more viable option, but it's simply outclassed by up throw as it stands. Back throw definitely has its niche uses, however.
Disable? Confusion to Shadow Ball jab lock? Pivot grab the roll on to stage?

And I'm questioning why up throw is as weak as it is.

Anyway, found out something else wonderful about this character. Whenever he performs a ledge get up, you can punish him for free. The shield doesn't buffer in time, and it's really easy. What this basically means is that any time you juggle him, you're essentially getting a free stock because he has to go to the ledge to reset the juggle game, but his roll, jump, and get up can all be punished on reaction.

I also found out that he can be hit out of his Teleport before he even becomes visible again.

This character is wonderful.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Anyone else notice how similar Lucario's and Mewtwo's alt trophies are?

I wonder if this was a joke on the "Mewtwo's a clone" misconception or something.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

I haven't really met anyone who plays Smash really. My friends will play with me for a bit, but I win most 3v1 games we play as they don't particularly follow Nintendo, and it just isn't fun for them.

I would be happy to play you some time, not quite sure when I'm free at the moment so I can't really suggest a time or anything. But more than happy to. :)

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Something interesting i noticed is that mewtwo's icon flashes when he fully charges a shadow ball.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
popping in just to say I've pretty much dropped everything i can to learn Mewtwo, and i love him sooooo much.

i admit he has flaws, but pretty much every match i play with him i am having tons of fun, and most games tend to be pretty close. his weight is tolerable for me since he can actually kill at around the same percentage he dies, and he has evasion options to avoid being juggled, so I'm actually kind of okay with this.

currently my major flaw in playing is i roll... all the time... working on breaking that habit now. but otherwise I'm hoping to start going to tournaments again, but am i hearing right that Mewtwo is under the "gentleman's rule"? where the other player has to agree to let you play him? maybe I'll wait for a little bit longer till that's not a thing anymore, sounds kind of lame to pseudo-ban a character just because he's new/DLC, but understandable since he's not explored and not all the match-ups have been fleshed out.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
popping in just to say I've pretty much dropped everything i can to learn Mewtwo, and i love him sooooo much.

i admit he has flaws, but pretty much every match i play with him i am having tons of fun, and most games tend to be pretty close. his weight is tolerable for me since he can actually kill at around the same percentage he dies, and he has evasion options to avoid being juggled, so I'm actually kind of okay with this.

currently my major flaw in playing is i roll... all the time... working on breaking that habit now. but otherwise I'm hoping to start going to tournaments again, but am i hearing right that Mewtwo is under the "gentleman's rule"? where the other player has to agree to let you play him? maybe I'll wait for a little bit longer till that's not a thing anymore, sounds kind of lame to pseudo-ban a character just because he's new/DLC, but understandable since he's not explored and not all the match-ups have been fleshed out.
The 'gent agreement' thing will go away on the 28th, when he;s available to everyone.
Iirc thats the only reason why he's pseudo banned rn

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
The 'gent agreement' thing will go away on the 28th, when he;s available to everyone.
Iirc thats the only reason why he's pseudo banned rn
The 'gent agreement' thing is just ridiculous. You shouldn't have permission from another person to play a character. We should be able to play whomever we like. I'll be glad when it's lifted.

Top Bottom