• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Ugh, Mewtwo is so much fun to play, but I can't stand it when I die so early!!
My other mains are Lucario and Wario, so it's pretty much the norm for me to live up to 150%+. So I keep expecting my self not to die at 80%, yet it happens. I really need to change my playstyle if I want to be better with Mewtwo...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Dsmash charged will kill any character at 90%+. If you get the disable even half charge kills Bowser

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I've finally begun to resemble someone vaguely competent enough for my opponent to change his name to something obscene at me.

That actually feels like a major accomplishment.

Mewtwo feels... extremely underwhelming.
People keep calling him a "glass canon" on the boards, but i honestly don't see the supposed "canon" aspect.

No reliable (true) combos, unsafe hitboxes (upsmash and fair visually hit, but sometimes just go through my opponents, and they can sometimes just DI out of upsmashs' first hits), nerfed up & backthrow, terrible landing lag on most aerials, teleport feels much worse than in melee, slow walking speed, slow falling speed, second lightest character (from what i've read in the threads), wonky second jump, landing confusion on your opponent doesn't do any good (except if they are noobs who can't react to it), disable is hard to land, no custom moves, etc etc etc

So far, the only good things i can say about him are his voice (SO GLAD it's his melee voice), confusion ACTUALLY reflecting projectiles, awesome new victory poses, awesome new taunts, and that sexy new 3D-model (no more swollen head).
...of course none of these (except the confusion part) will help him competitively.

Oh well, i'll still main him.
I've waited 14 years (melee came out in 2001, right?) for him to return, and now that he's there i'll stay dedicated.
Dtilt reliably combos into Nair, Fair, Uair, Utilt, another Dtilt, jab... Not to mention that having jab confirmed Disable is godly even if it isnt a true combo

What do you mean by safe? Unless youre called Sheik none of your attacks are very safe on sheild. NAir is pretty safe even on whoff if you use it as a crossup. So is SHFair because of its buffed vertical range. Dtilt too with its long hitbox. Fully charged Shadow Ball is cray

I agree on teleport and throws

All of its aerials autocancel from SH except Nair, and even then Nair has basically zero endlag if you full hop it (its like the opposite of greninjas nair, lmao)

Mewtwo is faster on the ground than it was in Melee. Also its always been floaty

Wonky second jump, what even?

Disable isnt nearly as hard to land as it was in Melee

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I freaked someone out with Dthrow->Full Power Shadow Ball. Multiple times. But, I can't tell if that's a TruCombo™ or just a string.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Dear Arceus, all of the debate about Mewtwo's viability on this thread is making me really anxious to try him out. Unfortunantly, it's still probably going to be a while ~_~. Anyway, I'm kind of sad to hear that Mewtwo's @ U-Throw U-Throw apparently got nerfed. That sucks. It's not gonna stop me from using it to land some kills, though:p. I gotta live up to my name, y'know?
Also, how does getting hit out of Teleport work? Is it, like, you can get hit out of it at any point during the move, or can you only get hit out of it at specific times, or what? I'm genuinely curious.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I get the worst luck when I use Mewtwo in Crazy Orders. Can I not get screwed over by annoying stages or have fatal items spontaneously appear in the hands of an opponent please?

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Dear Arceus, all of the debate about Mewtwo's viability on this thread is making me really anxious to try him out. Unfortunantly, it's still probably going to be a while ~_~. Anyway, I'm kind of sad to hear that Mewtwo's @ U-Throw U-Throw apparently got nerfed. That sucks. It's not gonna stop me from using it to land some kills, though:p. I gotta live up to my name, y'know?
Also, how does getting hit out of Teleport work? Is it, like, you can get hit out of it at any point during the move, or can you only get hit out of it at specific times, or what? I'm genuinely curious.
Don't worry about u-throw. It got nerfed but it is still extremely good. Kills midweights at 120~130 with medium rage. I will even argue that it is the best up-throw in the game.

Pretty sure you can only get hit out of teleport at the end of it. Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong. :3

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I get the worst luck when I use Mewtwo in Crazy Orders. Can I not get screwed over by annoying stages or have fatal items spontaneously appear in the hands of an opponent please?
Eh, I only ever use heavy weights for Crazy Orders, myself, since living to high percents is really important in that mode.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Using Up Throw on an opponent at 160% seems to be a definitive kill range for every character. So once they get to that point getting an Up Throw will take the stock.

So...

90%+ = Disable + Full Charge Dsmash

160%+ = Up throw

Fast fall Nair into grab might be the easiest way to do it.

And if your opponent is dumb enough to fall for the Shadow Ball > Jab > Disable string they deserve to die.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Hey! Look what I found! It's a new leak/rumor that sort of piggybacks on the Ryu/Roy rumor! Basically, if you don't feel like reading the entire article, which is admittedly pretty long, the two big takeaways are:

-There's 5 unoccupied character slots in Smash 4's code. That means that, in addition to Lucas and possibly Roy and Ryu, we can potentially get two other DLC characters.

-There are 7 unused stage slots, and one of them is probably going to be a Kirby stage of some sort, because a lot of Kirby tracks were found in the game's code, as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Roy and Ryu rumor has some pretty solid ground to stand on, since at least 5 other unique claims have been made since the initial one. Also, Roy makes sense to me, personally. I mean, he's a clone of Marth, so he wouldn't take too much time to develop, and I believe he has the strongest following of the remaining Melee vets, as well as one of the strongest followings of any cut veteran.
Ryu is a little out there, especially since Capcom already has a rep, but he seems like a reasonable addition. Licensing won't be as difficult, since Nintendo is already working with Ryu's owner, and it could be pretty interesting to see how a traditional fighter would transition into a game like Smash. Now, granted, I don't play any other fighting games (Pokkén Tournament will change that), so I know next to nothing about Ryu, but I'm still intrigued by how he would work in SSB4.
Also, Wolf is pretty much a shoo-in at this point, so, assuming Roy and Ryu are actually coming, that leaves one other DLC character, at least at this point. Obviously, if this leak turns out to be true, then that last character slot would go to the DLC Ballot winner. I think that it all lines up pretty nicely, and I'm inclined to believe that all of this is true, but I think that I'm going to keep sitting on the fence until more evidence surfaces, be it for or against the leak.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If Fire Emblem Roy comes back I won't know how I should feel. It's like a 3rd way to play as Marth and Marth and Lucina is all about spacing your attacks while Roy always did more damage at the hilt so they want you to play Marth like you would play Meta Knight and be all in their face. And not space attacks at all.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ryu's famous for the likes of Hadoukens and Shoryukens.
I'd love to see his Street Fighter style transferred into Smash.
Plus there might be a Street Fighter stage.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
-There's 5 unoccupied character slots in Smash 4's code. That means that, in addition to Lucas and possibly Roy and Ryu, we can potentially get two other DLC characters.

Also, Wolf is pretty much a shoo-in at this point, so, assuming Roy and Ryu are actually coming, that leaves one other DLC character, at least at this point. Obviously, if this leak turns out to be true, then that last character slot would go to the DLC Ballot winner. I think that it all lines up pretty nicely, and I'm inclined to believe that all of this is true, but I think that I'm going to keep sitting on the fence until more evidence surfaces, be it for or against the leak.
As long as Wolf comes back, it would be a dream come true for me. Being able to play as Mewtwo and Wolf on my 3DS would be awesome! :wolf::4mewtwo:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If Fire Emblem Roy comes back I won't know how I should feel. It's like a 3rd way to play as Marth and Marth and Lucina is all about spacing your attacks while Roy always did more damage at the hilt so they want you to play Marth like you would play Meta Knight and be all in their face. And not space attacks at all.
I see what you're saying, but why get upset? Roy is a clone, so he's not really taking up any development time, and there're people out there that prefer him and his playstyle to Marth's. He's just an extra treat for his fans, so if you don't like him, the only reasonable response is apathy.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I can always do with a new punching bag.
Charizard, Duck Hunt and Miis have gotten old and boring. FE Roy would be a welcome addition if only to beat the snot out of him.
Would still rather have Anna or Tiki before Roy though.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I'm just wondering how they are going to fit both FE Roy and Super Mario Roy into the game name wise. Maybe they're going to change the Super Mario Roy's name to Roy Koopa or something like that.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I see what you're saying, but why get upset? Roy is a clone, so he's not really taking up any development time, and there're people out there that prefer him and his playstyle to Marth's. He's just an extra treat for his fans, so if you don't like him, the only reasonable response is apathy.
Oh I'm not upset. I'm just looking at 5 Fire Emblem reps counting Roy(which is technically only 3) and also looking at the Ballot thing they got set up and if the rumors are true then for DLC we are getting Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu. And it wouldn't be far off to say Wolf is guaranteed as well.

However that alone makes me think the Ballot thing was already predetermined and if I were to wager they might tally up total votes and give us the one with the most as a newcomer.

Kinda like how they had a JP poll for Brawl and DDD came out on top if I recall correctly and that was a deciding factor on his inclusion. Even if Sakurai wanted to add him in Melee anyway.

I will say if we get DLC music and stages give me my Fountain of Dreams. Criminal Act.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
-This is probably well known, however i didn't know about this, so this was a huge surprise to me:

I had a Mewtwo ditto today, shot a fully charged Shadowball at him, he used confusion to reflect it back, i used confusion too reflect it back to him.

Now, he tried to reflect it back again, but it looked like the Shadowball (now reflected 2 times) "destroyed" his confusion, went through it, and killed him at 0%. O__O

Tested the same with Palutena, Shadowball broke through her reflect!
Didn't know that was a thing.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
-This is probably well known, however i didn't know about this, so this was a huge surprise to me:

I had a Mewtwo ditto today, shot a fully charged Shadowball at him, he used confusion to reflect it back, i used confusion too reflect it back to him.

Now, he tried to reflect it back again, but it looked like the Shadowball (now reflected 2 times) "destroyed" his confusion, went through it, and killed him at 0%. O__O

Tested the same with Palutena, Shadowball broke through her reflect!
Didn't know that was a thing.
A friend sent me a replay of this, actually. I couldn't believe it myself.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I can always do with a new punching bag.
Charizard, Duck Hunt and Miis have gotten old and boring. FE Roy would be a welcome addition if only to beat the snot out of him.
Would still rather have Anna or Tiki before Roy though.
In my opinion, they're not really comparable. Anna and Tiki would both have to be created as original characters, and thus significant development time would have to be devoted to them. Roy is a clone, so he can be created during post-development with relatively little work put into him. Therefore, Anna and Tiki could've had priority over Roy, but Anna and Tiki were too low on the priority list to make the cut, while Roy, despite having lower priority, could make it simply because he could be added with relativity little work in post-development. Why deprive both fanbases when you can please one? It just doesn't make any sense, especially from a business perspective.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I would assume the teleport works almost exactly like Palutena's since thr speed seems the same so if you wanna practice with her, but I haven't checked out the TP-in/out times yet.

As for Mewtwo, dude, you won't be disappointed. All the speculation in this thread is very nitpicky if you ask me. Mewtwo in this game is badass, fun to play and better than the Melee Mewtwo. Be excited!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ HakuryuVision HakuryuVision

Pardon the crappy quality, I swear I thought this came out better.

If you pay attention, Shadow Ball goes through Confusion and kills Mewtwo.

Credit to @Greenkagami for sending me this, give him thanks if you want.

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Mewtwo is climbing up the ranks of my fighter record at the speed of light. He's already my 7th most used character. For reference, Lucario is a character I've used since I got the game (October 3) which is like 6 months ago. That means Mewtwo surpassed a character that I've used for 6 months in just 3~4 days. I use Lucario quite a lot too; he was my Brawl main and one of my co-mains in Smash 4 before Mewtwo came out. I've used only Mewtwo (except 1 game of Charizard) ever since I got him. Mewtwo's the best.
Mewtwo is more than likely going to surpass Roy Koopa as most played character in my fighter records for my Wii U game and Greninja in my 3DS game whenever I get around to picking him back up.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
@ HakuryuVision HakuryuVision

Pardon the crappy quality, I swear I thought this came out better.

If you pay attention, Shadow Ball goes through Confusion and kills Mewtwo.

Credit to @Greenkagami for sending me this, give him thanks if you want.
Yeah, i remember hearing that high pitched sound (as if something made out of glass was breaking).

Need to watch out for it in Mewtwo dittos, or against opponents with reflects.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In my opinion, they're not really comparable. Anna and Tiki would both have to be created as original characters, and thus significant development time would have to be devoted to them. Roy is a clone, so he can be created during post-development with relatively little work put into him. Therefore, Anna and Tiki could've had priority over Roy, but Anna and Tiki were too low on the priority list to make the cut, while Roy, despite having lower priority, could make it simply because he could be added with relativity little work in post-development. Why deprive both fanbases when you can please one? It just doesn't make any sense, especially from a business perspective.
Except I seriously doubt Roy will be a true clone this time.

We already have one Marth clone in this game, and unlike Lucy, we (probably) aren't getting Roy as a free add on. He's paid DLC. There is no way he'll just be a half-baked clone.

I'll bet he'll be anything from a Falco-like semi-clone to a full out Luigi.

...Not that I'm opposed to Roy.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Except I seriously doubt Roy will be a true clone this time.

We already have one Marth clone in this game, and unlike Lucy, we (probably) aren't getting Roy as a free add on. He's paid DLC. There is no way he'll just be a half-baked clone.

I'll bet he'll be anything from a Falco-like semi-clone to a full out Luigi.

...Not that I'm opposed to Roy.
Mewtwo kept his old moves and Ganon is still a clone. I don't see Roy getting changed at all.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mewtwo kept his old moves and Ganon is still a clone. I don't see Roy getting changed at all.
Mewtwo was never a clone.
Ganondorf, though I feel he's unjustified, is a semi-clone, isn't he? More different from Falcon then Roy was from Marth, at least.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
If I remember correctly, reflector-breaking occurs when a projectile's accumulated damage exceeds or equals twice the original amount. Therefore, Mewtwo will always win reflection squabbles if he's the one that starts it, with a Shadow Ball, of course. Confusion multiples a projectile's damage by 1.4x, and since the least powerful reflector multiples a projectile's damage by 1.2x, it's virtually impossible for Mewtwo's Confusion to break if he's the one that starts the reflector fight. The only exception is Ness. Ness's F-Smash multiplies a projectile's damage by two right off the bat (LOL), so any character will lose a reflector battle in that situation, Mewtwo included. Also, if you play with items on, then Mewtwo will also lose to Gardevoir, who multiplies damage by 2.2x, and the Franklin Badge, which multiplies damage by 1.3x.
However, by the same token, Mewtwo will lose almost any reflector scuffle if he's on the receiving end. So, in such a situation, I would imagine that it would be important to keep your reflexes sharp and your finger on L. Once again, however, there are exceptions. Palutena's, Zelda's and Mega Man's reflectors all multiply a projectile's damage by 1.2x, so they'll always lose to Mewtwo in a reflector fight. Poor guys just can't catch a break:p.
Ironically enough, reflector-breaking was implemented in order to prevent projectiles from achieving OHKO levels of power, but Shadow Ball is so powerful under normal circumstances that it circumvents that rule:laugh:.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Mewtwo was never a clone.
Ganondorf, though I feel he's unjustified, is a semi-clone, isn't he? More different from Falcon then Roy was from Marth, at least.
But Mewtwo's a clone of Mew!

With that said, he never said Mewtwo was a clone of another character in Smash, just that he kept his moveset from Melee when he returned in Smash 4.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But Mewtwo's a clone of Mew!

With that said, he never said Mewtwo was a clone of another character in Smash, just that he kept his moveset from Melee when he returned in Smash 4.
My point is that Mewtwo's move set had no reason to be changed.

Roy's does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom