• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, but of all the veterans cut, why should Roy be added? Of all the characters cut (Wolf, Ice Climber(s), Squirtle, Ivysaur, Snake), Roy seems like the worst option. Star Fox U is supposed going to be released soon, so why not him? Why this one character who was awful in his own game that wasn't even in English?
Wolf deserves to get in, I don't know why they haven't showed him yet, but I bet they will eventually.

Ice Climbers were cut due to technical limitations.
Squirtle and Ivysaur, as much as I'd love them, would bring our Pokemon count up to 8, and most people just played the Trainer for Charizard anyway.
Snake has issues for reasons I don't see why I need to explain.

And, whether you like it or not, Roy is heavily requested and has a strong fanbase.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Wolf deserves to get in, I don't know why they haven't showed him yet, but I bet they will eventually.

Ice Climbers were cut due to technical limitations.
Squirtle and Ivysaur, as much as I'd love them, would bring our Pokemon count up to 8, and most people just played the Trainer for Charizard anyway.
Snake has issues for reasons I don't see why I need to explain.

And, whether you like it or not, Roy is heavily requested and has a strong fanbase.
I know he's requested, and the other veterans were cut due to sensible reasons (except Wolf), but I just don't get why. Why do people like Roy so much?

Whenever I played Smash back in the Melee days, nobody I knew liked Roy. We all agreed that he was an inferior clone of Marth who's only gimmick is the fire sword which wasn't even that good to begin with. Then when he got cut, the same people who said Roy shouldn't have been in Melee started moaning about him being unfairly cut and should still have been in Smash...

I know they say you never know what you have until it's gone, but this is ridiculous...

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I know he's requested, and the other veterans were cut due to sensible reasons (except Wolf), but I just don't get why. Why do people like Roy so much?

Whenever I played Smash back in the Melee days, nobody I knew liked Roy. We all agreed that he was an inferior clone of Marth who's only gimmick is the fire sword which wasn't even that good to begin with. Then when he got cut, the same people who said Roy shouldn't have been in Melee started moaning about him being unfairly cut and should still have been in Smash...

I know they say you never know what you have until it's gone, but this is ridiculous...
I dunno, Roy always seemed pretty popular to me. My group of friends back in the day liked Roy more than Marth because they thought the fire sword was cooler than just a plain sword. Also, they thought Marth was a lot girlier.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

So, because you don't like him, other people can't? I'm not super crazy about him either. But he was someone's main.
Marth and Roy introduced Fire Emblem to the West. Because of Marth and Roy, I got the chance to try a series that has become one of my all time favorites. Western Fire Emblem fans owe a LOT to Marth and Roy. Sure, he sucks in Fire Emblem 6, who cares?
Jigglypuff sucks in Pokemon. But, you know what? This isn't Fire Emblem 6, and it's not Pokemon.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
To be honest, I have to agree with @ ThePsychoWolf ThePsychoWolf here. I don't care for Roy either, but somebody out there likes him. I think he should get in as much as any other cut veterans simply because there are people that like him.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I dunno, Roy always seemed pretty popular to me. My group of friends back in the day liked Roy more than Marth because they thought the fire sword was cooler than just a plain sword. Also, they thought Marth was a lot girlier.
So, because you don't like him, other people can't? I'm not super crazy about him either. But he was someone's main.
Marth and Roy introduced Fire Emblem to the West. Because of Marth and Roy, I got the chance to try a series that has become one of my all time favorites. Western Fire Emblem fans owe a LOT to Marth and Roy. Sure, he sucks in Fire Emblem 6, who cares?
Jigglypuff sucks in Pokemon. But, you know what? This isn't Fire Emblem 6, and it's not Pokemon.
Fair points. I guess at the end of the day, to each his own

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey! Look what I found! It's a new leak/rumor that sort of piggybacks on the Ryu/Roy rumor! Basically, if you don't feel like reading the entire article, which is admittedly pretty long, the two big takeaways are:

-There's 5 unoccupied character slots in Smash 4's code. That means that, in addition to Lucas and possibly Roy and Ryu, we can potentially get two other DLC characters.

-There are 7 unused stage slots, and one of them is probably going to be a Kirby stage of some sort, because a lot of Kirby tracks were found in the game's code, as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Roy and Ryu rumor has some pretty solid ground to stand on, since at least 5 other unique claims have been made since the initial one. Also, Roy makes sense to me, personally. I mean, he's a clone of Marth, so he wouldn't take too much time to develop, and I believe he has the strongest following of the remaining Melee vets, as well as one of the strongest followings of any cut veteran.
Ryu is a little out there, especially since Capcom already has a rep, but he seems like a reasonable addition. Licensing won't be as difficult, since Nintendo is already working with Ryu's owner, and it could be pretty interesting to see how a traditional fighter would transition into a game like Smash. Now, granted, I don't play any other fighting games (Pokkén Tournament will change that), so I know next to nothing about Ryu, but I'm still intrigued by how he would work in SSB4.
Also, Wolf is pretty much a shoo-in at this point, so, assuming Roy and Ryu are actually coming, that leaves one other DLC character, at least at this point. Obviously, if this leak turns out to be true, then that last character slot would go to the DLC Ballot winner. I think that it all lines up pretty nicely, and I'm inclined to believe that all of this is true, but I think that I'm going to keep sitting on the fence until more evidence surfaces, be it for or against the leak.
I did some reading

Its the same guy who found the music

The 5 (and probably 3 aditional)

Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
Ballot winner(s)

They're we are.

C3CC

Smash Lord
If you ask me, I'd prefer Roy not to return. I mean, we already have Lucina. Besides, what would they even do with Roy Koopa?

Of course, if he does return, I won't mind. I wouldn't even buy him anyway. Hopefully Ryu won't be a newcomer either; Capcom already has a rep and to be honest, he doesn't really mix well with Smash Bros.

Also, I've seen people who say that the Ballot winner will appear. That's not true, guys. The winner will only give the devs an idea of who people want and then MAYBE they'll be included. Can you imagine if Goku won? He wouldn't appear in the game anyway. I think it will be King K. Rool, but who knows.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
If you ask me, I'd prefer Roy not to return. I mean, we already have Lucina. Besides, what would they even do with Roy Koopa?

Of course, if he does return, I won't mind. I wouldn't even buy him anyway. Hopefully Ryu won't be a newcomer either; Capcom already has a rep and to be honest, he doesn't really mix well with Smash Bros.
One of my friends puts it perfectly:

"I don't want Ryu for Smash 4 because he'll basically be Little Mac, but better."

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
People liked Roy because explody fire sword. Despite being one of the worst fe lords in existence. Course the majority didn't know that since fe6 was japan onry.

And still no fe villain in sight.

Only time Roy was good was when he got the broken Sword of Seals that had a durability of 20 which did ungodly damage.

If Roy comes back his neutral b better be half the charge time of eruption or I won't care too much.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
I want a Manakete if we're getting any newcomer FE characters. 0% chance of it happening to be honest but Manaketes are the best class. If Manaketes get in at all, even if there's an incredibly unlikely chance, it would be Tiki or Kamui. Compared to other Manakete characters, which has a 0.0001% chance of getting in, I'd say Kamui has a 1% and Tiki has a 0.1%. Not bad choices because I like both, but even so, I like and want Nah more. Any Manakete would be cool in Smash really, especially Nah. I like Nah a lot. If you say nah to Nah then I will eat you.

As for lords, I think Lyn, Ephraim, or Eirika would be nice.

I don't mind more FE characters but the chances are extremely slim. There's already so many and I just don't see it happening. I want it but it just doesn't seem possible. However, Roy actually looks slightly possible this time around. I can actually see that guy getting in. Don't really care if he gets in or not; I like Marth and Lucy more anyway. :p
Myrrh is the best manakete.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
That satisfying feeling when a charged Shadow Ball just absorbs a fully charged Aura Sphere and smacks Lucario in the face.
Fighting doesn't effect Ghost, b***h!

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I have never understood all the b****ing about Roy. If he's coming, he's coming, and there's nothing you can do about it. Don't want him? Don't buy him. I myself will greatly enjoy having Mewtwo/Roy/Dr. Mario fights on Temple for old times sake.

Just be glad that Fire Emblem is getting what it's getting. It's one of Nintendo's best and oldest franchises, and nearly died before Awakening saved it. Roy is not being brought back to rep FE6, he's being brought back for the fans, much like Mewtwo and Lucas were.
I just REALLY hope he gets a new moveset. we don't need two crappy versions of marth.(a close range tipper on a character that still has a spacing based moveset? realy?) the sword of seals has a ton of potential to be it's own cool thing.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I just REALLY hope he gets a new moveset. we don't need two crappy versions of marth.(a close range tipper on a character that still has a spacing based moveset? realy?) the sword of seals has a ton of potential to be it's own cool thing.
Mewtwo didn't get a new moveset, Lucas didn't get a new moveset, I doubt Roy will get any special treatment.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
sadly true.. stiupid lazy ass devs.. -.-; granted mewtw didnt need a ew moveset as he had a nice, uniqe, and fitting flavor to him anyway.(though disable can go die in a fire) he just needed actual buffs to those moves. i still doubt they'd actually try to sell one of the worst clones in the series though. I mean, come on.. the dev team must know by now how much people hate copy&paste clone characters by now.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
That satisfying feeling when a charged Shadow Ball just absorbs a fully charged Aura Sphere and smacks Lucario in the face.
Fighting doesn't effect Ghost, b***h!
Yeah, I find it pretty hilarious how badly Shadow Ball shuts down Aura Sphere. A Non Charged Shadow Ball can stop a fully charged Aura Sphere. :3 lol

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Mewtwo has a much higher special attack. It makes perfect sense.

Eh, I only ever use heavy weights for Crazy Orders, myself, since living to high percents is really important in that mode.
I got 15 wins with Wendy Koopa somehow before Mewtwo graced us once more so I better be able to do it with Mewtwo or else I cannot claim my devotion is absolute...

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
@ Daybreak Daybreak
@TonicTheSqurriel
@JesseMcCloud
@Superior Spider-Mew
@ ZephyrZ ZephyrZ

I sent you guys a replay. Feel free to add it to your Youtube, Day! And everyone, give me some feedback please <3 Always looking to improve!
PS: Guess he didn't want to charge his Aura Sphere >.>
Cool! I'll add it tomorrow, didn't show up tonight for some reason. I'll post the link here so we can all talk about it~.

Also it was a lot of fun playing tonight. I'll bring out more of my other characters next time.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
sadly true.. stiupid lazy *** devs.. -.-; granted mewtw didnt need a ew moveset as he had a nice, uniqe, and fitting flavor to him anyway.(though disable can go die in a fire) he just needed actual buffs to those moves. i still doubt they'd actually try to sell one of the worst clones in the series though. I mean, come on.. the dev team must know by now how much people hate copy&paste clone characters by now.
The only real hate I see for clones comes from the dedicated Smash fanbase (you know, the people that should realize that there are clone characters in every freaking fighting series there is). We make up a rather small percentage of the overall Smash fanbase. Casual fans really don't seem to care. They're basically free characters. Clones, as long as they make sense (glares at Ganondorf), are not a problem. Now, Roy may be a bit harder to justify IF he is paid DLC. But we don't know, at this point, if he will be. They may offer him for free, like Mewtwo. He may be free incentive to buy a DLC pack, or a 'season pass' type deal.
And Roy is far from one of the worst clones in the series. Would you rather have Pichu? Or a third Link? Aside from Mewtwo, Roy is the only Melee veteran really worth bringing back, as he's the only one left with a fanbase big enough to support the idea.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The only real hate I see for clones comes from the dedicated Smash fanbase (you know, the people that should realize that there are clone characters in every freaking fighting series there is). We make up a rather small percentage of the overall Smash fanbase. Casual fans really don't seem to care. They're basically free characters. Clones, as long as they make sense (glares at Ganondorf), are not a problem. Now, Roy may be a bit harder to justify IF he is paid DLC. But we don't know, at this point, if he will be. They may offer him for free, like Mewtwo. He may be free incentive to buy a DLC pack, or a 'season pass' type deal.
And Roy is far from one of the worst clones in the series. Would you rather have Pichu? Or a third Link? Aside from Mewtwo, Roy is the only Melee veteran really worth bringing back, as he's the only one left with a fanbase big enough to support the idea.
I would actually support Pichu more, but that doesn't mean I don't support Roy.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I feel like everyone is missing the point of Roy returning. You can't really compare original characters to clones, simply because their respective developmental processes are completely different. An original character can be infinitely higher on the character priority list than a clone, but since clones can be made with relatively little work compared to unique characters, they can be added in post-development. Because unique characters don't have that advantage, clones can be present on the roster at the same time that higher-priority, original characters are absent. They're not really comparable.
So, when you say that you'll be upset if Roy gets in instead Isaac or Hector, it's important to understand that Roy getting in over them doesn't necessarily mean that he had higher priority. It just means that they could complete him in the given timeframe. Because Isaac and Hector are unique characters, they would take much longer to create than Roy. If I remember correctly, clones take about 1/6th the development time of an original character, so there's no way that Isaac or Hector could be completed in the same amount of time as Roy. It's not so much a matter of priority as it is a matter of time.
Clones are literally bonus characters, included simply to pad out the roster and for the sake of of their fans. Because of that, I believe that the only reasonable response to a clone that you don't like is apathy. That's just my two cents.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, Lucas is only coming in summer anyway so it's probably going to be a REAL long time before
we hear anything about more new fighters. Perhaps it's best not to dwell for too long.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Pretty good. I ended up marrying her on my first run through the game.

Myrrh a best, though.

^ Why aren't the Awakening manaketes as cool as this?
Fire emblem forgot what a dragon was. Even IF is giving us a manakete that looks like a deer crossbred with a Lizard.

Edit: Adding clone characters to pad out the roster for the sake of padding out the roster is never a good design choice. And with Mewtwo they seemed to not bother with isolated control tests. You would think they would make sure the single player modes worked.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm sure the clones' scores of fans would beg to differ.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It will be a Sakurai decision anyway.

If people want to play a version of Marth that rewards you for spacing horribly then good. I can Bowser body them to death.

That said for future dlc please make sure the characters are compatible with every game mode. When people pay 5 banana's the characters should at least work in every mode. And the lack of custom moves still bothers me.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
When people pay 5 banana's the characters should at least work in every mode. And the lack of custom moves still bothers me.
That's probably just due to time constraints more than anything; they had about 5 years to design custom moves for base characters, so of course now that they have to make all-new customs for DLC fighters, it's going to be a bit. I'm expecting Mewtwo to get customs in a later patch, as will the other DLC fighters.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I know what you meant, and I'm saying that's no obstacle.

It's not like the P:M team, where they can't edit the game's core files. Unlike them, Nintendo can and does add more "slots" when they need them.
I never said that it was an obstacle. I merely said that the Smash 4 dev team created the character slots for future use. They probably made the slots and started started working on the characters, and then left the slots buried in the game's code so that it would be easier to actually add the DLC characters into Smash 4 later on. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom