• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
You know you are done for when Crazy Hand manages to grab you and buries you in one of Master Hand's rising card platforms...

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat the most stiff fighter in existence. Last Mortal Kombat I played was Ultimate MK3.

I will be maining Ganon like I do Bowser and now Mewtwo because I love the characters and the playstyles just fits me.

I don't really understand the hype for Roy either since all it will be is another Marth to play as. But Sakurai is fine with increasing his clone corner I guess. After all they are "desserts" and you shouldn't complain about them.

With this rumor about Roy coming back and Ryu from Street Fighter being a possibility I really think this Smash ballot thing is a complete farce.

I am still bummed that Isaac from Golden Sun really got the shaft. You cut his assist. Fine. No trophy but Reginleiv a Japan onry game gets a trophy? Ok. 2 Golden Sun tracks but on Metroid and Kid Icarus stages? Well now.

I dunno I get mad every time I think about it.

I kinda feel like DLC is gonna be "fighters that didn't make the deadline".

Especially since Mewtwo feels incomplete without customs. Meaning regardless of tier rank he will always be outclassed due to lack of options. Alongside no longer hurting players while his Shadow Ball charges and being lighter then he was in Melee despite being canonically over 200 pounds.
I can understand your opinion on MK, I don't realy play that game seriously anyways.

I seriously hope I dont have to get all the Dlc to make the select screen look right, cause I refuse to have three damn Marth clones if they cant even get Mewtwo right. I'm not going to even bother with the Ballaout crap since the characters I wanted either got shafted or became a huge dissapointment.

Btw I enjoy Mewtwo and will have him as my main regardless of what horrible devolopment has done to him.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Alright. Now that I am at a computer I have 2 images for you. Thank Nintendo for Miiverse so I don't have to hate them for putting the SD Card under a metallic plate on the New 3DS. Idiot decision.

First we have this one.

As you can see we have disable and Mario has just recovered from a previous one. But use your imagination and put another star symbol right next to the smaller one. And there you have the range of Disable. Also Disable does a whopping 1% of damage. Much flash. Much power. All Mewtwo.

As for where Mewtwo should stand we have this image.

This is the maximum distance you can be for disable to work on any character that isn't small like Kirby, has a Shield(the Link's) or Rosalina where it would work if Luma wasn't in the way. And Rosalina obviously won't leave openings during Luma's untimely demise. You can prop up most characters with jab or SHAD(Short Hop Air Dodge) and use Disable as well. SHAD will have Disable higher up and will stun characters that come out of hit stun or land lag.

Which can be really notable on my main character of choice Bowser. While heavyweights are more susceptible to disable after confusion, most characters who are being used by good players can tech and act out of confusion by jumping out or trying to hit you with a kneejerk reactionary aerial attack.

Distance is farther then the Jab and multi hit as well as Confusion but I believe disable has the same distance as the finishing hit of Jab which I dub Shadow Claw.

I hope this is helpful. As for when to use Disable I would prefer it be when you know they won't be shielding or have a reflector ready. As well as having your opponent at 90% or greater as a Full charge or even half charge Dsmash or Up Smash will kill since it is a Vertical KO and no amount of DI will matter.

Your opponent is done. The stock is over. You are Mewtwo. Scientists dreamed of creating the strongest Pokemon. And they succeeded.

Mewtwo is indeed a Glass Cannon and I believe we will see a lot of matches play out in a Be Quick or Be Dead playstyle.
Or keep away style with lots of air dodge spamming, upb ledge cancelling and shadowball sliding.
Well guys, you got the mid-tier character you wanted. Sometimes what you think is the right decision, turns out to be the worst.
He's mid tier? Is that an official statement? And I don't think anyone really hates Mewtwo, he could just use some tweaking. As it stands now though he's pretty great.
Why all the Roy hate on the last page? So what if he was a clone in a past game? If you think that's a problem, :4luigi: would like to have a word with you.
:4robinm::4robinf:
They may be sword wielders as well, but I still think these two represent FE mages rather well.

The problem with dedicated archers is that
a) none of the are main protagonist/lords, and
b) they lack close range options, hence why Pit got his bow transformed into a pair of blades.

Lyn is the only archer I can think of he both wields a close-range weapon and fills the "lord character" category. Not that I'd oppose Lyn, I just don't see her happening.
This isn't Melee. We can't be certain he'll be bad.

I'm personally fine with Roy. I mean, I don't have to pay the $5 for him if I don't want to use him, so I'll just say congratulations to Roy fans and wait for Starfwolf or something.
I meant OTHER than Robin. Also I'd like to see a full on mage. 100% spellcaster. Fire Emblem or otherwise. Something like Zelda but with cooler powers.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
so after another day of lots of mewtwo play i have to go back and say he feels incredibly limited in a way that is irriating. since he's ust a flaw away from being a good character. nair feels nerfed, he has very limited options to get out of juggles, his rang feels too short and most of his attacks are too slow to keep up or be safe enough. For a grab based telekinesis user his grab range also feels kind of disappointing especially when you realize the shadowy energy stuff isn't part of the hitbox and is just for show. If mewtwo's attacks had slightly longer reach, bair didn't have a weird deadzone in the middle of the tail, and his grab range was just a tad longer he'd be a solid mid tier for sure.(seriously, half the time it looks like a sheild grab is possible it whiffs) but as it stands whenever i play mewtwo it feels like i'm rather disadvantaged even though he has some good tools his light weight, large hitbox, very punishable attacks, and lack of an ideal range to want to be in.(close range feels too close, mid range doesn't cut it against other characters spacing options, and long range limits you to just a projectile that goes in a straight line and a reflector)Also kind of getting sick of all the characters i like best having terrible sonic matchups(MK's hopeless sonic matchup, ganondorf's inability to keep up, and now mewtwo being combo meat)

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
i've had the opposite effect with mewtwo where despite playing him in melee and wanting to main him since his anouncement i've just been continuosly trashed ad despite how much i practice never seem to do better even losing in ditto's to a friend who isn't even dedicated or planning on even maining the character.I only do consistantly well on for glory which i don't take seriously anyway because it's full of scrubs.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
The only complaint I have about Mewtwo is how easily he gets knocked around. He's supposed to be the heaviest pokemon in Smash, yet he's the second lightest.
He's faster than he looks, has great range, a reflector, a powerful projectile, insane killing potential, ridiculous recovery, and superior aerial mobility.
I actually play offensive Mewtwo against my friends, and they just don't know how to handle it. I can maul my friends to death and they don't know how to stop me. It's pretty awesome.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
i've had the opposite effect with mewtwo where despite playing him in melee and wanting to main him since his anouncement i've just been continuosly trashed ad despite how much i practice never seem to do better even losing in ditto's to a friend who isn't even dedicated or planning on even maining the character.
I haven't used Mewtwo yet, so I wouldn't know, but it sounds like you're misusing him. From what I understand, Mewtwo's a very defensive character that has to wait for the right opportunity to strike, since he's so light and easy to take out. In order to play a good Mewtwo, you need to take advantage of his ability to quickly KO his opponent, and to do so effectively, you have to wait until you have an opening. Play it safe and keep it defensive until the opponent is vulnerable, and then move in swiftly and deal some damage. Once their damage is high enough, go in for the kill, and since Mewtwo kills very easily, I don't think that'll be a problem.

At least, that's what I've heard. Again, I haven't had a chance to actually use Mewtwo, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The only complaint I have about Mewtwo is how easily he gets knocked around. He's supposed to be the heaviest pokemon in Smash, yet he's the second lightest.
He's faster than he looks, has great range, a reflector, a powerful projectile, insane killing potential, ridiculous recovery, and superior aerial mobility.
I actually play offensive Mewtwo against my friends, and they just don't know how to handle it. I can maul my friends to death and they don't know how to stop me. It's pretty awesome.
I haven't used Mewtwo yet, so I wouldn't know, but it sounds like you're misusing him. From what I understand, Mewtwo's a very defensive character that has to wait for the right opportunity to strike, since he's so light and easy to take out. In order to play a good Mewtwo, you need to take advantage of his ability to quickly KO his opponent, and to do so effectively, you have to wait until you have an opening. Play it safe and keep it defensive until the opponent is vulnerable, and then move in swiftly and deal some damage. Once their damage is high enough, go in for the kill, and since Mewtwo kills very easily, I don't think that'll be a problem.

At least, that's what I've heard. Again, I haven't had a chance to actually use Mewtwo, so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
So playing offensively works according to PsychoWolf but playing defensively works according to U-Throw.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Mewtwo is all about killing people quickly. Use your tail and Shadow Ball to keep 'em on their toes, and dash in with that deceptively high dash speed, and beat the **** out of them. Mewtwo has some of the best aerials in the game, get them in the air. Confusion opens up some mindgames against projectile spammers, and a fully charged Shadow Ball will pass through a lot of enemy projectiles anyway.

So playing offensively works according to PsychoWolf but playing defensively works according to U-Throw.
I'm not a competitive player. I don't know if you are or not, I just need to be able to beat my friends, and I can do so handily. I'm an offensive minded player, though. I don't like the whole defensive pu**yfooting around approach, makes Mewtwo look like a wuss.
Different strokes for different folks. A defensive playstyle probably works better in a more competitive environment.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think it's safe to assume that none of us know how to play this character optimally yet. :v

But we'll figure it out.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I'm not a competitive player. I don't know if you are or not, I just need to be able to beat my friends, and I can do so handily. I'm an offensive minded player, though. I don't like the whole defensive pu**yfooting around approach, makes Mewtwo look like a wuss.
Different strokes for different folks. A defensive playstyle probably works better in a more competitive environment.
Yeah.. if i wanted to wait around a whole lot i'd just play anyone in brawl lol. I mean i play mostly zoning characters in tradiional fighting games but even at range they are putting offensive pressure on the opponent.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I think it's safe to assume that none of us know how to play this character optimally yet. :v

But we'll figure it out.

Smooth Criminal
Exactly, it is still too early right now. Also, some people have mentioned this as well but I think this early access Mewtwo is pretty much an incomplete character. There is true evidence of Custom moves for Mewtwo but they are not finished so they could come in another patch with a few buffs here and there. The buffs and Customs may not come on the 28th but they will most likely happen around that time. Despite all the mixed thoughts on him, I still really can't wait to try Mewtwo out for myself. :)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
That's glitched data that produces strange effects. Not indicative of anything really. Just like every character having a 4th custom move per special.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pretty sure Lyn is female, though I didn't get that as a kid. Stupid deep voice
Er, I called Lyn a "her".
I know for absolute certain she's female. I even played FE:7.
Hey, it's me! I suppose you all might be wondering where the heck I've been. Well, it's a little complicated, but, basically, a ton of stuff came up at once: Tests, work, family things, etc. My keyboard also broke, so I haven't been able to view this site on my computer for awhile, which is where I do the majority of my posting. I don't know how long all of this is going to last, but it's probably going to be a little bit, and I won't be able to be a regular here again until all of this blows over.
Saddest of all, I haven't been able to use Mewtwo, period. I've got him downloaded and everything, but I haven't been able to actually play as him. However, from what I've heard, he sounds incredible! I love the glass cannon concept that Sakurai went with, and I expect that he'll be a ton of fun to main, once I get the chance. I'm loving his palette swaps, as well! The cyan and red ones, in particular, stick out to me, and I think that, when I finally get the chance to use him, those'll be the two palette swaps that I use the most.
Admittidley, though, I'm a little upset that he doesn't have any Custom moves. To me, that almost makes him feel like he's a step behind the rest of the cast, and I don't like that feeling at all. I really hope that Sakurai and the devs find time to complete Mewtwo's Custom moves, because I'm really interested in what they could do with them, especially after seeing the incomplete remnants. I just think that they have so much potential, it'd almost be a shame to see Mewtwo's Customs go to waste. However, the absence of Customs for him is so small and insignificant compared to everything else Mewtwo got, that I'm hardly mad about it. I'm just really excited and anxious to get to use him!
Anyway, I'm really sorry for my recent absence. I really wish that I could frequent here and contribute to the discission, but until everything clears up and I actually get the chance to try Mewtwo out, I don't think it's possible. I might even have to withdraw from Speed's Mewtwo-only tournament. My apologies to everyone who's been wondering where I am. This is just the first chance I've had to post here since Wednesday-ish. I'll try my best to be on here more often, but I can't make any promises. Once all this clears up, though, rest assured: I'll be on this Board and Mewtwo like white on rice. Until then...

~U-Throw =]
Good to hear you're still alive.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Yeah i don't think the customs glitch proves anything. It's likely just glitched placeholder data.I'm also not sure why so many people were expecting DLC to have custom moves. I was hoping for mewtwo to get some since i think he has a ton of potential for interesting customs.(he could have even had unique moves like megaman that reference other moves he can use in pokemon. that'd be kind of neat) but i was aware of the likely possibility that DLC would only have one set of specials developed.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Yeah i don't think the customs glitch proves anything. It's likely just glitched placeholder data.I'm also not sure why so many people were expecting DLC to have custom moves. I was hoping for mewtwo to get some since i think he has a ton of potential for interesting customs.(he could have even had unqiqe move like megaman that reference other moves he can use in pokemon. that'd be kind of neat) but i was aware of the likely possibility that DLC would only have one set of specials developed.
So, all the other characters would have Customs except for the DLC characters? That just doesn't seem fair to me and doesn't sound reasonable. Once again, he was released just two days ago now. We don't know what could be coming for Mewtwo in the next few weeks to even months. Sorry, if I came off rude by the way.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I am hoping something happens on official release. Other DLC characters automatically become outclassed with lack of customs.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
May not be "fair" but i think the dev team sometimes thinks for glory is the end all be all meta and got lazy. Not surprising considering how overdramatic they were about the ammount of work a moveset takes to make.(I know it's a lot of work but jeez sakurai, don't be such a drama queen XD)

Last edited:

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Maybe once Nintendo realizes that we're interested with custom moves at Evo and other tourneys, maybe they'll think twice and implement custom moves in dlc. I'm hoping Mewtwo gets them on his official release and that was the sacrifice for releasing him early.

Also, probably my least favorite thing about Mewtwo bar his weight: the grab timer on his grab/confusion. After I use confusion, my opponent will usually attack me out of it. I'll shield and go for a grab and forget that the timer isn't up and leave myself open.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
May not be "fair" but i think the dev team sometimes thinks for glory is the end all be all meta and got lazy. Not surprising considering how overdramatic they were about the ammount of work a moveset takes to make.(I know it's a lot of work but jeez sakurai, don't be such a drama queen XD)
I do have to agree with you on that. XD

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah i don't think the customs glitch proves anything. It's likely just glitched placeholder data.I'm also not sure why so many people were expecting DLC to have custom moves. I was hoping for mewtwo to get some since i think he has a ton of potential for interesting customs.(he could have even had unique moves like megaman that reference other moves he can use in pokemon. that'd be kind of neat) but i was aware of the likely possibility that DLC would only have one set of specials developed.
Well, he got implemented into game modes like All Star and Crazy Orders, and he can equip custom equipment. They even included an unlockable alt trophy.

Really, he gets equal treatment with every other character on the roster in every regards except custom moves, which is kind of lame.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Why is mewtwo so fun? And why are most of the perceived top tier characters boring to play? When I win as mewtwo it's like winning as meta knight in this game. I feel like I can respect myself. Same goes for bowser and dorf.

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
For those worried about mewtwo's competitive viability, I think it's going to be super dependent on stage. For Glory and FD are just not good for Mewtwo's movement options. Platforms benefit Mewtwo so much: ledge cancelled teleports for defense or offense, confusion under platforms causing a tech chase, high platforms making uthrow kill earlier, etc. Battlefield is so great for him.

D

Deleted member

Does anybody here want to smash?

Last edited by a moderator:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
For those worried about mewtwo's competitive viability, I think it's going to be super dependent on stage. For Glory and FD are just not good for Mewtwo's movement options. Platforms benefit Mewtwo so much: ledge cancelled teleports for defense or offense, confusion under platforms causing a tech chase, high platforms making uthrow kill earlier, etc. Battlefield is so great for him.
Battlefield has always been Mewtwo's home as far as I am concerned. In Melee, you fight Mewtwo on the Battlefield in All Star mode and in both Melee and this game it's the stage where Mewtwo can fight best.

Yeah opinion of Mewtwo's competitive capabilities are pretty polarizing but whatever I play with items on anyways.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Battlefield has always been Mewtwo's home as far as I am concerned. In Melee, you fight Mewtwo on the Battlefield in All Star mode and in both Melee and this game it's the stage where Mewtwo can fight best.

Yeah opinion of Mewtwo's competitive capabilities are pretty polarizing but whatever I play with items on anyways.
agreed 100 percent

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
is it just me or does mewtwo have amazing landing traps? usmash and shadow ball are amazing.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

But we'll figure it out.

Smooth Criminal
IMO Mewtwo is more stealthy. Dodge, evade, air dodge, teleport then when you get the upper hand you can go in for the strike. I mean the guy can pull of combos SMOOTHLY. You just gotta get the timing right. I think that's his game.

Top Bottom