• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
People keep saying that Mewtwo is like Ganondorf, but extremely frail.

I suppose that makes him a ....glass ganon?
(I see myself out folks)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I spent some more time with Mewtwo, and it sure has been one heck of a grab abuser. The only other fighters whom I've actually done grab spamming with have been Rosalina and Dedede. Amusingly, all three of them have dash grabs that are tolerable to use.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Speaking of grabs...I love Mewtwo's throws, but his grab itself is just terrible. You may as well not even try grabbing Pikachu or other shorties. I just hate it. It doesn't help that I'm so used to Charizard, who's grab is just amazing.

Ah well, at least it's not Link levels of bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that Mewtwo would be a good character if the following happened
His weight gets increased
The hitbox on fair lasts longer and has further reach
Bair's startup lag gets drastically decreased
Uair gets more base knockback/knockback growth
Nair gets sped up and launches opponents forward more often
Excess lag from Side-Tilt removed
All hits from Mewtwo's uair do the same damage and launch at the same trajectory (upwards)
Up-Smash becomes easier to connect on grounded/tiny opponents
D-Smash hits on both sides (whether the animations evidences this or not)
Side-B actually gets hitstun added to it
Up-B doesn't leave you in helpless mode
Down-B hits on both sides
Grab range improved
Fair has kill potential
Bair strengthened
U-throw gets buffed so as to allows kills on some characters up to before 100%, as opposed to 120%.
Charging Shadow Ball does damage again, in addition to shadow ball charging up faster.

Final Smash Being Mega Mewtwo X

Let me know what you guys think of my changelog suggestions.

Edit: For the second-to-last one, I meant Up throw

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
-He gits a grab hitbox that's actually good.
-He gets actual rolls that can be used to, you know, dodge and stuff.

That's all I want done to him. Fix those two things and his playstyle will be perfect.
Too bad his grab and rolls are so terrible in this game that they're beyond the hope of a future patch actually making them good, but at least there is the chance of a patch making them slightly better.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Fair has kill potential

What? I thought it does already. I've scored many KOs using Mewtwo's Fair

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Why is mewtwo so fun? And why are most of the perceived top tier characters boring to play? When I win as mewtwo it's like winning as meta knight in this game. I feel like I can respect myself. Same goes for bowser and dorf.
I dunno. it seems the "worse" you are in this game the more interesting you are. Take MetaKnight, Ganondorf, DK(love watching Will's DK), and greninja for example.@fair not having kill potential: the heck are you talking about? fair seems to hit like a truck by all accounts.

Ulevo

Smash Master
So after playing with Mewtwo there's a few impressions I have.

1) Far too light to be justified. From an archetype perspective alone, should be at least Rosalina's weight.
2) It is highly unfortunate that Teleport is the way it is. Compared to it's Melee incarnation, it's poor. I was expecting it to at least be better than Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape in terms of safety and ability to dodge. Not only is it poor and unsafe at doing so, it is inconsistent with its sweet spotting. I've had times where I have Teleported to a ledge at 180 degrees, hit the ledge without snapping to it, and popped upwards in free fall.
3) The fact that you cannot combo out of down throw is incredibly stupid, and makes down throw largely useless. It does less damage than forward and back throw, has no kill power, and can't even set up tech situations on stages like Battlefield because the knockback is too low. When will you ever use this?
4) Neutral air out of all of his aerials should be designed with little landing lag in order to utilize its potential. Unfortunately the landing lag it has is too much for it to be used for combo potential or follow ups.
5) Up throw is highly disappointing. It's stronger than most up throws, yes, but why would you ever use it when you can just back throw near a blast zone? I mean, the throw kills at what, 130-140% on most characters? Okay. I can kill people off the top at 80% with Meta Knight. If up throw was to be his defining kill move, it should have been stronger.
6) Mewtwo's neutral is poor largely due to his floatiness. Forward air is excellent, however the time it takes to land when you try to auto cancel it makes you susceptible to dash grabs and dash attacks, or any form of quick movement.
7) I don't have the frame data on Mewtwo's rolls or dodges, but from my experience playing with him they seem atrocious. His techs in particular are really bad, and leave him exposed for far longer than they should.
8) I understand they want to differentiate Lucario and Mewtwo, but was taking away the active hitbox to his charging Shadow Ball really necessary? Arbitrarily nerfing a character.

He's a really cool character, and he has a lot of really great things. Unfortunately, these cool things only seduce you in to using a character with some very real, highly unnecessary flaws. I feel he's solidly low mid tier, maybe high mid tier if someone really good exposed potential with him. Hope this gets patched later when Nintendo realizes no one is using him in like a month.
My criticisms in the competitive impressions thread.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Only buffs Mewtwo needs, imo:
-A little bit more weight.
-A little more kill potential with this back and @ U-Throw U-Throw .
-A touch more range on his grab.
-A bit less lag/startup (or more range) on Disable.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Well I played 5 FG matches tonight with Mewtwo and surprisingly even after I struggled as hell, I won 4 (against Mario, Link, Samus and Dark Pit). The one I lost was with a Falco. I managed to get one stock but his speed just overwhelmed me.

Funny thing is I just switched to Fox and 2-0 him quite easily haha.

YES to all.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
How are any of these things going to fix his poor neutral game.
His neutral isn't bad.

Also, up throw is good because it doesn't require you to be near the ledge for a kill. It usually kills earlier than back throw unless you're at the ledge. Its effectiveness is further bolstered on stages with lower ceilings and on platforms closer to the ceiling.

Last edited:

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
The biggest thing I'm really enjoying about owning the Mewtwo DLC is not the fact that I can finally play as him again, but instead, it's the fact that I can replay Melee Event 51: The Showdown (the one where you fight Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Giga Bowser) once more. I've pretty much tried it with about half of the entire roster and it's just so fun.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
All hits from Mewtwo's uair do the same damage and launch at the same trajectory (upwards)
Grab range improved
Fair has kill potential
Bair strengthened
Uair gets buffed so as to allows kills on some characters up to before 100%, as opposed to 120%.
Charging Shadow Ball does damage again, in addition to shadow ball charging up faster.

I think Fair has good kill potential
I agree that his weight should be increased
Shadow Ball should deal damage while charging, I dont really mind how long it takes but I didn't expect to not damage while charging.
Confusion should have hitstun added to it
Disable should be able hit from both sides but sadly it doesnt, if anything make unblockable if you can't hit them from behind.
I also agree that Bair should have less startup

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I personally think that disable should hit from behind.
Can someone remind me why Disable is counted as a projectile?

Also, confusion should be changed so we can actually follow up without getting hit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Grab range improved
Fair has kill potential
Bair strengthened
Uair gets buffed so as to allows kills on some characters up to before 100%, as opposed to 120%.

-His weight should indeed be increased to at least his PAL Melee weight of 89, and I'd even want him heavier than this as 89 was the weight I wanted him buffed from (PAL Melee ex Mewtwo main).
-F Air should come out a great deal faster, and should be disjointed in my opinion, give it somewhat of a sexkick hitbox so that it's actually worth the risk.
-B Air needs to act like a faster Melee B Air, make it good for edgeguarding again
-U Air needs to be it's Melee variant cause this one just sucks (same for U Tilt)
-F Tilt is indeed too slow and should be more like a faster 'Zard F Tilt
-Up Smash should have a hitbox next to Mewtwo's body so it covers him far more, I also would like more gravity to the more
-D Smash either becomes Lucas's D Smash or gets an insane power boost as to worth the risk
-Side B should combo into a grab, that'd be amazing
-If Up B could be anything like in Project M that'd be soooo much <3
-N Air needs more range and more damage output
-Grab range needs to be adressed as soon as possible indeed
-Let his throws kill off earlier than in Melee

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
-His weight should indeed be increased to at least his PAL Melee weight of 89, and I'd even want him heavier than this as 89 was the weight I wanted him buffed from (PAL Melee ex Mewtwo main).
-F Air should come out a great deal faster, and should be disjointed in my opinion, give it somewhat of a sexkick hitbox so that it's actually worth the risk.
-B Air needs to act like a faster Melee B Air, make it good for edgeguarding again
-U Air needs to be it's Melee variant cause this one just sucks (same for U Tilt)
-F Tilt is indeed too slow and should be more like a faster 'Zard F Tilt
-Up Smash should have a hitbox next to Mewtwo's body so it covers him far more, I also would like more gravity to the more
-D Smash either becomes Lucas's D Smash or gets an insane power boost as to worth the risk
-Side B should combo into a grab, that'd be amazing
-If Up B could be anything like in Project M that'd be soooo much <3
-N Air needs more range and more damage output
-Grab range needs to be adressed as soon as possible indeed
-Let his throws kill off earlier than in Melee
Mewtwo's Fair is already disjointed.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Played a lot more of Mewtwo today, and I must say he has a wide variety of moves for aerial manouverability. I find the mind games you can play by using confusion for that little extra jump and other such things to be very interesting to use, the other player doesn't necessarily quite know where you are going to land.

There has been one point I have discovered playing with him, and that is that fast characters are certainly not his friend. The likes of Zero Suit Samus and other characters who can get attacks out quickly like her are a pain for Mewtwo to handle. You really have to sit back and carefully pick when to attack, which isn't easy when here is his person in your face all of the time. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but that's my impression.

Overall, Mewtwo is growing more and more on me, and he is by far the most enjoyable character in the game at the moment. :)

Ulevo

Smash Master
His neutral isn't bad.

Also, up throw is good because it doesn't require you to be near the ledge for a kill. It usually kills earlier than back throw unless you're at the ledge. Its effectiveness is further bolstered on stages with lower ceilings and on platforms closer to the ceiling.
Up throw will kill Mario on Final Destination at 131% without DI. Back throw near the ledge does it around 101%.

And yeah, his neutral isn't great.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The biggest thing I'm really enjoying about owning the Mewtwo DLC is not the fact that I can finally play as him again, but instead, it's the fact that I can replay Melee Event 51: The Showdown (the one where you fight Ganondorf, Mewtwo and Giga Bowser) once more. I've pretty much tried it with about half of the entire roster and it's just so fun.
You know, I did take a snapshot, where Mewtwo was up "against" the villains, and Rosalina came to its aid. Of course, Dedede and Dark Pit aren't actually evil, but they are rivals to Kirby and Pit respectively, so there's that.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Up throw will kill Mario on Final Destination at 131% without DI. Back throw near the ledge does it around 101%.

And yeah, his neutral isn't great.
"Unless you're at the ledge." What does Mewtwo's B-Throw kill at when he's elsewhere, such as the center of the stage?

And you're not proving anything by just saying that his neutral is bad. You need evidence to back that up.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of grabs...I love Mewtwo's throws, but his grab itself is just terrible. You may as well not even try grabbing Pikachu or other shorties. I just hate it. It doesn't help that I'm so used to Charizard, who's grab is just amazing.

Ah well, at least it's not Link levels of bad.
From what I can recall, Little Mac has the worst grabs in the game. At least Mewtwo's grabs aren't THAT awful, but not being able to grab the fighters that Dedede can easily get hold of can be troubling for Mewtwo, since its b-throw and u-throw are quite devastating against the lightweight fighters.

On a side note, Mewtwo "can" grab an idle Wario, so anyone who's as tall as Wario, or taller, needs to watch out for those powerful grabs and throws.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I love using Mewtwo, but getting KO'd really early while trying to do a Classic 9.0 run on the Wii U is sad. I can't even get past the Fighting Mii Team because of all the explosions that kill me at low percentages. ;_;
Same here, Had a really frustrating time because of random sh*t killing me early.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I think disable should at least have some sort of effect if you hit a foe facing the other way. Like instead of a stun perhaps they trip or something? Idk, but something at least...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Whoever says fair isn't killer is wrong. While the hit box is meta knight good it is just as mean as bowser's fair. Amazing runoff ledge guard too!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
From what I can recall, Little Mac has the worst grabs in the game. At least Mewtwo's grabs aren't THAT awful, but not being able to grab the fighters that Dedede can easily get hold of can be troubling for Mewtwo, since its b-throw and u-throw are quite devastating against the lightweight fighters.

On a side note, Mewtwo "can" grab an idle Wario, so anyone who's as tall as Wario, or taller, needs to watch out for those powerful grabs and throws.
Real talk.

But also, if Mac does manage to grab someone, the only decent throws he has are D-Throw and sometimes @ U-Throw U-Throw for Up B kill set ups.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Real talk.

But also, if Mac does manage to grab someone, the only decent throws he has are D-Throw and sometimes @ U-Throw U-Throw for Up B kill set ups.
Thing is, boxers don't grab in fights. Psychics should, considering it's the only way Mewtwo is able to use his psychic powers to actually send people flying...

Confusion should've combo'd into a grab I feel. Or Mewtwo should get a disjointed grab or something.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
does the 28th hold any hope for mewtwo? does the ability to buy him need to be patched in, and with that potential patch some more fine tuning? mewtwo feels incomplete to me(utilt back hit whiffing, grab's animation being misleading to the hitbox, the ledge shenanigans, etc.)

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Grab range improved
Fair has kill potential
Bair strengthened

I wouldn't mind seeing any of these changes being done but my only concern is that they will make Mewtwo way too powerful.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't mind seeing any of these changes being done but my only concern is that they will make Mewtwo way too powerful.
I don't care about that. Anything is better than him being trash twice in a row and him enduring even more nerfs from what was already horrible in Melee.

Sorry.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I really hate it when I start taunting in front of the match for respect, but then people go taunting whenever they get a stock, like im disrespecting them.

Top Bottom