• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, glad your enjoying Mewtwo. Finally got my codes after talking to a really nice person though Nintendo's customer service. I was an AOL victim unfortunately...

Just played as Mewtwo a lot and OH my gosh! I love him. He fits my play style very well. I like characters that are glass cannons, but fast and can rack up damage quickly. His moves are improved I feel. Especially shadow ball, an excellent kill move and disable is faster to. His aerials are solid, up smash is awesome, he feels fast and smooth. And I felt like I was playing as Mewtwo. That's how much I like this version. Now a new primary main joins my other 5 primary ones.

His back throw is awesome by the way. The way he turns his back. Nice color swaps to. Especially the dark one. Also, his confusion can be used similar to how Jigglypuffs pound used to be able to. Act as a useful recovery.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm starting to get the hang of 'Two's mind games.
I mentioned Teleport earlier, but his invisible air dodges, Shadow Ball glide, and Confusion jump all give him some pretty nifty mind games.

I've also been only partly charging my Shadow Balls every now and then. When your hands are glowing, characters will be on edge. An occasional, partly charged Shadow Ball is decent for a mix up every now and then. One 'Two I just fought on For Glory even copied me and started using that himself mid match.

Last edited:

Timbers

check me out
I really don't know what to say to this, but I'll try.

If you came in thinking he was gonna be some top-tier monstrosity, then that's being set up for disappointment. Honestly if he didn't measure up to your expectations, then just don't play him. Simple as that.
This is why you should leave Mewtwo to the dedicated Mewtwo mains. If you were expecting him to be the next Diddy Kong then it was never going to happen.

If you have such a problem with him then don't play him. Simple.
Everyone Else saying this said:
"I wish Mewtwo wasn't bad" =/= "I wish Mewtwo was the absolute best in the game"

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Mmmk here's my scoop.
Played around with lv. 7, lv. 8 NPCs (and my Lucario amiibo) all as Mewtwo.

The lowest I was KO'd at was at 77%.
On average I was KO'd at around 120%.
The highest damage I took while not dying was 194% (granted, my amiibo can't seem to wrap his mind around the concept of a "kill move", so there's that).

So...I'm still not sure what people are fussing about?
(If people are still complaining, I mean. I haven't checked.)

On a lighter note, I've noticed just how differently I need to play Mewtwo compared with Lucario. With Lulu I can afford to take a beating since it's to my benefit, but playing as Mewtwo has made me really think about spacing. Being able to move in and out and hit accurately without getting hit himself seems to be the key thing with him, and I still haven't gotten the distance of his hitboxes down. But that'll come with practice of course.

My goal is to make Mewtwo that character I use whenever I just want to be an obnoxious little **** to my friends.
Generate so much salt you can melt an icy sidewalk with it.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I can't get over the fact how good u-throw and Shadow Ball is in this game. Shadow Ball especially. IT KILLS INCREDIBLY EARLY. YOU CAN SPAM THE LITTLE ONES AND IT'S GOOD. THE SHIELD DAMAGE. I'm not even disappointed over the fact of no charge damage because it's just so incredibly good even without it. U-throw I expected to kill people a little bit earlier, but I realized that a throw that kills anyone at any part of the stage early would be kind of broken. I'll disregard its fault though, because jesus christ it KILLS people that are not heavyweight/fast fallers. Kills Rosalina at ~105 with high rage... it's so satisfying to land. So glad that my two favorite moves of Mewtwo are still one of his best. By the way, where's @U-Throw ? I haven't seen him around. :X

I haven't touched any other character since I got Mewtwo. I can't be the only one that's not disappointed by Mewtwo... yeah, yeah, I too think he's low tier (based on first impressions) but that doesn't matter at all to me because he's incredibly fun to play. I say to embrace the fact he's low tier! #LowTierHeroes4Lyfe

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
are we still going to call Mewtwo's neutral aerial "Hypnosigenesis"?

"I mean look how long and stupid it's name is, it has to be good"
-Yuriofwind

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
I can't get over the fact how good u-throw and Shadow Ball is in this game. Shadow Ball especially. IT KILLS INCREDIBLY EARLY. YOU CAN SPAM THE LITTLE ONES AND IT'S GOOD. THE SHIELD DAMAGE. I'm not even disappointed over the fact of no charge damage because it's just so incredibly good even without it. U-throw I expected to kill people a little bit earlier, but I realized that a throw that kills anyone at any part of the stage early would be kind of broken. I'll disregard its fault though, because jesus christ it KILLS people that are not heavyweight/fast fallers. Kills Rosalina at ~105 with high rage... it's so satisfying to land. So glad that my two favorite moves of Mewtwo are still one of his best. By the way, where's @U-Throw ? I haven't seen him around. :X

I haven't touched any other character since I got Mewtwo. I can't be the only one that's not disappointed by Mewtwo... yeah, yeah, I too think he's low tier (based on first impressions) but that doesn't matter at all to me because he's incredibly fun to play. I say to embrace the fact he's low tier! #LowTierHeroes4Lyfe
I haven't touched any other characters either! I am in no way disappointed by Mewtwo. He plays exactly how I wanted him to. He's a little lighter than I expected, but he makes up for it with his power. His FSmash and FAir are killer, and has awesome spacing with tilts. I planned on maining him before he came out, and now I am so glad I decided to do that.

C3CC

Smash Lord

You're not the only one! I haven't touched any of my other mains either since Mewtwo was released. He's so fun and cool. I love how they captured his personality; he's got even more attitude than in Melee. I'm not disappointed at all. Of course, there are some things I would change, like his placement on the character selection screen, increasing Teleport's range and adding a hitbox Shadow Ball when charging, but I'm still really happy with the overall result. :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I improved my Mewtwo a lot today. And I mean a lot. The guy is really starting to come together for me.
Now I'm expecting something closer to mid tier. His mind game capabilities are just too good.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I actually use a Wii U pad. ^-^
The gamepad is surprisingly pretty comfortable. Before we got the GC adapter, my friends and I would fight over the gamepad. Granted, GC controller is superior in my opinion, but the gamepad is actually pretty nice.

Only real problem I have with it is leaving the game. The way you hold it and move your fingers is so awkward.

Last edited:

Illya-tan

Smash Rookie
i simply love this:

love the respect devs gave mewtwo on smash 4.

Last edited:

Enoki

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Enokikone
Let me just say: I am so guilty of underestimating Mewtwo. Yesterday, I was mostly just frustrated by his lack of defense. But today, I really started to appreciate his offensive options and mindgame potential. At this point, I'm very unsure of where Mewtwo will be.
Basically, it seems to me that Mewtwo has a very very good advantaged state, but a very bad disadvantaged state (unless teleport is actually fast enough to safely escape combos. I can't tell yet). I think mewtwo is going to be extremely hard to use and harder to master, but his potential for early kills is ridiculous. I'm feeling much more confident in him now.

A few cool things I've noticed/pulled off
Fast falling nair on an aerial opponent can combo directly into usmash for a kill
Shadowball is extremely useful. The uncharged ones are slow enough that you can try to get a grab out of shieldstun. The charged one does incredible shield damage, so some people try to jump over it. Easy usmash.
Dthrow and confusion, while not guaranteed, can seriously throw the opponent off, and are relatively easily to capitalize on if you can read your opponent.
Uair is useful once you get used to the timing and deceptive range. Rising uair combos well into things.
Rising dair is awesome. Both the upwards and downwards hitboxes are great against a character trying to recover high.
From the ledge, stand up disable is such a great mixup. If your opponent isn't expecting it, free smash or throw, and it's so incredibly satisfying.
Dsmash reminds me of MK's fsmash in that it's practically impossible to punish if spaced well.
Jab to grab is so great, as is jab to disable.
His airdodge is so great, I would argue one of the best in the game. You can short hop airdodge to fair, and it's hard to know where he'll end up.

I could go on and on about cool little things he can do. I'm really enjoying his tricky playstyle. :awesome:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Yesterday was good because not only did I get Mewtwo, but I finally got the GC controller adapter I pre-ordered. I don't know if I prefer GC controller or the Wii U Pro controller, but at least it will be useful if I ever get enough people for 8 player Smash.

Played 15 For Fun matches online as Mewtwo. Won 4 and was dead last 3 times. Some Rosalina players and a Lucario player went after me for some reason. The one match I used Mewtwo where there was a Lucario, he literally rolled past other characters to try to attack me. I managed to get the FS and Psystriked everyone for 3 points. Also, Eldin bridge blew up, so I got a point from throwing a Poké Ball at Lucario who fell off the edge of the right side of the bridge and died before he could even recover. The Oshawott that came out of the ball that KO'd Lucario ended up KOing Villager. Needless to say, I won with 5 KOs and 1 fall. Switched to Ness after because I always go down my mains list whenever I win a match online, so the rest of the time playing against Lucario guy was as Ness.

It is so satisfying hitting people with Psystrike. I could never KO anyone with PK Starstorm online today, but I got plenty of KOs the few times I got Psystrike online today.

Also, it was the second time I ever played online on the Wii U. Usually I play CPUs.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
If I would be an optimist I would say I have a looooooooooooooooooooot of room to improve with Mewtwo.
He is really fun when I get him to work but sometimes my opponent just dances around me.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I tried the second to last event with Bowser, Dedede, and Ganondorf on hard. At most I could KO one of them with a spike. They usually KO me with 3-5 hits. :drflip:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was playing earlier and got this to happen:

It's difficult to describe/show with just pictures, but basically with the momentum from "sliding," I got Disable to work even while behind opponents/not facing them. The end result was ending up on the other side of them (and setting up perfectly for charged U-Smash)

(I swear when I first glanced at this, both had same-color tails, lol)

Mc Mew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mc_Mew
Beware Mewtwo users DO NOT PLAY 10 MAN MELEE IT WILL MAKE IT WHERE YOUR SMASH POWER BECOME ZERO AND IT MAKES IT WHERE YOU CANT PLAY ONLINE we need everyone to know this

Last edited:

Mc Mew

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mc_Mew
nintendo needs to patch that glitch asap i think so spider-mew but to be safe stay Far away from 10 multiman smash

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I was playing earlier and got this to happen:

It's difficult to describe/show with just pictures, but basically with the momentum from "sliding," I got Disable to work even while behind opponents/not facing them. The end result was ending up on the other side of them (and setting up perfectly for charged U-Smash)

(I swear when I first glanced at this, both had same-color tails, lol)
So that WAS you on Miiverse! I "Yeah"d your posts. :p

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Beware Mewtwo users DO NOT PLAY 10 MAN MELEE IT WILL MAKE IT WHERE YOUR SMASH POWER BECOME ZERO AND IT MAKES IT WHERE YOU CANT PLAY ONLINE we need everyone to know this
:079: it already happened to me and i even posted about it.

the thing is, you cant play online and lose your GSP only if you have used all characters in 10-man smash before using mewtwo.

so if you use mewtwo before other characters, you're fine.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is why you should leave Mewtwo to the dedicated Mewtwo mains. If you were expecting him to be the next Diddy Kong then it was never going to happen.

If you have such a problem with him then don't play him. Simple.
You know am going by the allias of Diddy Kong far before Smash 4 and Hoo Hahs existance right? I used to be a dedicated Melee Mewtwo main. He used to suck in Melee, but I liked him as I could make him work. This Mewtwo is in some aspects worse than in Melee and I have all the reasons to complain about it, as complaints also got Diddy nerfed.

But yeah I won't stop you awesomely dedicated Mewtwo main. Go ahead and play your crappy, campy, sluggish "glass-canon" who relies solely on punishing to make damage. Proof me how one can have the patience to play with a character who's too frail to take the risks that he should be taking to do any damage. When your rosy colored cloud finally fades I'd like to hear you about Mewtwo again, when he's no longer 'new and awesome'.

His increased kill power does not excuse his decrease in weight, speed, his low range, relatively bad priority and oh God the lag on everything, including even Teleport. I already accepted these flaws as reality, and yes I am not content with it. Was super hyped for his return, but right now he's just another Zelda really.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
You know am going by the allias of Diddy Kong far before Smash 4 and Hoo Hahs existance right? I used to be a dedicated Melee Mewtwo main. He used to suck in Melee, but I liked him as I could make him work. This Mewtwo is in some aspects worse than in Melee and I have all the reasons to complain about it, as complaints also got Diddy nerfed.

But yeah I won't stop you awesomely dedicated Mewtwo main. Go ahead and play your crappy, campy, sluggish "glass-canon" who relies solely on punishing to make damage. Proof me how one can have the patience to play with a character who's too frail to take the risks that he should be taking to do any damage. When your rosy colored cloud finally fades I'd like to hear you about Mewtwo again, when he's no longer 'new and awesome'.

His increased kill power does not excuse his decrease in weight, speed, his low range, relatively bad priority and oh God the lag on everything, including even Teleport. I already accepted these flaws as reality, and yes I am not content with it. Was super hyped for his return, but right now he's just another Zelda really.
I agree with your points about Mewtwo's flaws, but these are all just first impressions. I think you should give Mewtwo some time before putting him off. It's been only 2 days. Give Mewtwo a chance. His flaws seem really obvious right now, and I won't deny it, but I think you should give him some time. Maybe eventually he'll be better. I'm not really optimistic about Mewtwo developing either to be honest, but I'll play him anyway. If you really don't like how Mewtwo plays then go ahead and drop him, but I think it's fair to make the decision after waiting a little bit more. Just a suggestion. However, if you really don't like him, then just ignore this. In the end, it's up to personal preferences. If you don't like something don't force yourself to like it.

Most of us (at very least myself) don't really care how Mewtwo plays too much. Most of us here (again, at the very least myself) like Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo. I personally don't really care how good or bad he is. I like Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo. Him being good or bad is just sprinkles on a mountain of ice cream.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I agree with your points about Mewtwo's flaws, but these are all just first impressions. I think you should give Mewtwo some time before putting him off. It's been only 2 days. Give Mewtwo a chance. His flaws seem really obvious right now, and I won't deny it, but I think you should give him some time. Maybe eventually he'll be better. I'm not really optimistic about Mewtwo developing either to be honest, but I'll play him anyway. If you really don't like how Mewtwo plays then go ahead and drop him, but I think it's fair to make the decision after waiting a little bit more. Just a suggestion, but if you really don't like him, then just ignore this.

Most of us (at very least myself) don't really care how Mewtwo plays too much. Most of us here (again, at the very least myself) like Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo. I personally don't really care how good or bad he is. I like Mewtwo because he's Mewtwo. Him being good or bad is just sprinkles on a mountain of ice cream.
I played him for about 6 hours straight with my Smash buddy, who even skipped work to play as Mewtwo (he even works in a bank, go figure :laugh: ). So I think I have a good perspective on him already. Mewtwo was literally in every fight we've played almost. I think we've only did like, one Diddy vs ZSS battle who are our usual characters... So yes, Mewtwo was played a lot. And yes, I also enjoy his inclusion for him being Mewtwo but... One big part of me liking Mewtwo was because of his power.

And in Smash, he just doesn't represent that at all. Take heed I also played PAL Melee, the game where Mewtwo is heavier than Marth having a rather "solid" 89 rank in weight, a rank I'd KILL for now... Seriously... Why is it 72 now. Why is it 17 full points LOWER than in PAL Melee, a more 'balanced' version of Melee...? Didn't Sakurai already acknowlegded by this that regular Melee Mewtwo was far too light? Than what makes him think TAKING 17 points of weight instead of ADDING them would make any sence?

89 + 17 = 106, a weight perfectly suitable for Mewtwo. A little heavier than regular, but trained humans (:4link::4falcon:) but not exactly a real heavy weight.

Also, he's way too slow. Compare :4mewtwo: to :4bowser: and :4ness: if you want. Look how the latter two are much, much more fluid in their playstyle than :bowsermelee: and :nessmelee:. Mewtwo was faster than both in Melee, but now is slower than both in this game... It really does not make any damn sence, and am getting frustrated by this.

Seriously, I wish I could enjoy Mewtwo for Mewtwo as I did in Melee... But I can't at this point. Am just hoping this is some kind of joke of Sakurai, that he made Mewtwo this bad on purpose as to not overflood his usage and he'll patch buff him later for the "real fans" who sticked with him despite his flaws... But am not gonna set myself up for more dissapointment.

I like the slight power buffs, but Sakurai should've known there where far more buffs needed than that... AND NOT NERFS! :facepalm:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Honestly I think mewtwo fits very solidly in the middle of the pack. Kills early, dies early, shadow ball is better pressure than it's ever been, confusion is actually legit, and the only thing we lost in exchange was a bit of weight, a loss of throw kill power (understandable though sad) and teleport being a bit slower. Has a good tool kit that fits many situations, and only really has trouble against characters that blatantly ourtrange him without projectiles. I honestly want to try him out in a competitive setting soon. He won't be top as I see it now, but he can definitely work.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I will be testing the range that disable will work on all characters sometime today. It might have a bit more range then it appears to have.

Edit: Yeah. Looks like it does with the exception of small characters like kirby and characters that need to be in hitstun like the links and rosalina since they have luma and shields.

I will post a screen shot of the general max range later.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
btw his tech on the floor is freakin' awesome looking.
Ikr?

"Ha, ground, you THOUGHT I was gonna land face first, but little did you know I was psychic!"

What if Mewtwo doesn't push itself up off the ground to suspend itself when it techs, but it pushes the entire stage and players down equivalently and the devs simply don't want you to know Mewtwo's true power level?

lolwhatamIsaying

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
what is this "mewtwo is slow" thing coming from? he ranks 7th in airspeed(tied with mario, sonic, donkey kong, and gnw) and has an above average run speed(i read tied with wft). and this is just raw movement, he has teleport and shadow ball slide/glide. mewtwo is perfectly mobile.

Top Bottom