• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

KarleKat

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
Found out about that glitch immediately after I beat Classic. Luckily, it seems I can still go online.

Sidenote: Beat Classic for the first time on 9.0 with Mewtwo, first try. I don't even.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Sidenote: Beat Classic for the first time on 9.0 with Mewtwo, first try. I don't even.
I keep getting knocked around painfully with Mewtwo in the higher levels on Classic. The chaos of 5+ Player Smash isn't friendly to him.

Volaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Volaro
3DS FC
2707-2096-3929
I keep getting knocked around painfully with Mewtwo in the higher levels on Classic. The chaos of 5+ Player Smash isn't friendly to him.
No doubt, that was without a doubt the hardest bit. I try to pick and choose the smaller fights when there's no good rewards otherwise. Picking off the ones that stray from the pack helped too. Once I finally got to the Master Hands, them and the core got -shredded- by Mewtwo's raw damage.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I quite like Mewtwo's new voice actor. As good as Melee Mewtwo's IMO.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am really dissapointed with Mewtwo so far guys... Whoa, this was totally not what I expected.
That just wasn't good playing.

EDIT: Mewtwo needs to be played defensively and evasively, from what I can tell. Spacing is super important and knowing your reach is super important. If you tank or rush with him you're going to have a bad day.

I think we should figure him out before making petitions or demanding changes right off the bat. My $0.02.
This was exactly what they said about Mewtwo in Melee...

HE ISN'T THE WORST YOU GUYS! We just need some time with him. Play defensively...

Only thing Mewtwo can do is punish. And every hit he's taking is one too much. He cannot trade at all, and a lot of stuff is actually nerfed from Melee... This is beyond terrible.

I think this is how it feels if a woman goes to bed with a new partner for the first time and his size doesn't meassure up. I think that's the best way to compare the situation with Mewtwo really... (don't take this too seriously)

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I am really dissapointed with Mewtwo so far guys... Whoa, this was totally not what I expected.

HE ISN'T THE WORST YOU GUYS! We just need some time with him. Play defensively...

Only thing Mewtwo can do is punish. And every hit he's taking is one too much. He cannot trade at all, and a lot of stuff is actually nerfed from Melee... This is beyond terrible.

I think this is how it feels if a woman goes to bed with a new partner for the first time and his size doesn't meassure up. I think that's the best way to compare the situation with Mewtwo really... (don't take this too seriously)
I really don't know what to say to this, but I'll try.

If you came in thinking he was gonna be some top-tier monstrosity, then that's being set up for disappointment. Honestly if he didn't measure up to your expectations, then just don't play him. Simple as that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But I liked playing him in Melee and I was excited to get my old main / secondary back, but now I can't stand him anymore. :urg:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
It's been sorta tough getting back into the groove with mewtwo, but hey practice makes perfect I guess. I kinda got him down but I could use some practice with him. Btw, should I practice offline or online? I would practice online cause it seems like the better way to practice but 1 word: lag.

I hate lag. :evil:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I miss Melee Mewtwo. At least a Wavedashed D Tilt was an actual approach...

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I've gotten to the point where I'm winning nearly every other match as Mewtwo now (Against CPU and friends. For Glory is a laggy mess for me today). The guy's crazy. Something just clicked all of a sudden and everything seemed to start working. It's probably the defensive playstyle.

I personally never try to approach as it's easiest to be punished when trying that.

However, when you notice your opponent approaching you and you get him/her with your tail, regardless of whether or not it's a punish, that seems to be your window to do literal craptons of damage. Even moreso when you have a Shadow Ball charged up to end the combo.

What's been working for me so far is playing the dodge and read game, which is probably the staple thing of defensive characters anyway, so no surprise, if that's the case.

Whenever I'm avoiding damage, I try to get a Ball up. Whenever I'm dealing damage, I try to get as many aerials as possible and possibly a DThrow > Shadow Ball in to end their puny existence. It's working for me so far, but it's pretty flawed, still >.<

From what I've seen, when you have them with Mewtwo, hoooooly crap do you have them. You're exerting all of your Pressure (see what I did there?) when you're the one dishing the damage.

Also from my experiences, when I get damaged a ton and try to recover, I have to try to get absolutely away from the opponent, and reset the "wait for them to get in range of my dong tail" game. Mewtwo's floatiness seems to not allow for punishing a grounded opponent while landing well. >.<

Overall, I have to say NO: Mewtwo is NOT bad. It's capable of utterly destroying opponents in seconds when played well but gets made a joke out of when played wrong, and can punish well from short or far range. I said it before but Mewtwo seems like one of the highest risk-highest reward characters in the game, in my opinion. If I had to speculate a tier spot for Mewtwo, I'd think it'd be around mid, but let's see what everyone comes up with playing Mewtwo!

It's been sorta tough getting back into the groove with mewtwo, but hey practice makes perfect I guess. I kinda got him down but I could use some practice with him. Btw, should I practice offline or online? I would practice online cause it seems like the better way to practice but 1 word: lag.

I hate lag. :evil:
Same. I personally can't play online yet; I tried a few games and I couldn't get accustomed to the lag. Honing your skills against level 9 CPU's works well in the regard that they have a reaction time of essentially 1 frame, so they'll unrealistically react to most of your things and dodge more consistently where we humans likely wouldn't. After training my man Sonic in the past and going to FG, one of my first reactions to the mode was: "WTF these people don't dodge! >:D"

You'll be able to play against people who've developed more diverse and better techniques, but the computers will help you better push your punishes and read dodges that a lot of people wouldn't consistently do.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey hey hey

It's the vaunted D3 main, Smooth Criminal. Mewtwo is gonna be a dedicated secondary of mine now, trumping the likes of Greninja and Wario for that spot. Mewtwo, as a character, has been a favorite of mine since the dawn of Western Pokemon. Something about a genetically-modified psychic cat monstrosity appeals to me, y'know? Aside from fat penguins with hammers and megalomania, of course. :4dedede:

Best of all, he's nowhere as janky as he was in Melee---which is what really hampered my playing him way back when. I like what Sakurai and Co. did with him in this game, though. Slick animations, hitboxes that kind of make sense...the works.

So, yeah.

Smooth Criminal

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I've gotten to the point where I'm winning nearly every other match as Mewtwo now (Against CPU and friends. For Glory is a laggy mess for me today). The guy's crazy. Something just clicked all of a sudden and everything seemed to start working. It's probably the defensive playstyle.

I personally never try to approach as it's easiest to be punished when trying that.

However, when you notice your opponent approaching you and you get him/her with your tail, regardless of whether or not it's a punish, that seems to be your window to do literal craptons of damage. Even moreso when you have a Shadow Ball charged up to end the combo.

What's been working for me so far is playing the dodge and read game, which is probably the staple thing of defensive characters anyway, so no surprise, if that's the case.

Whenever I'm avoiding damage, I try to get a Ball up. Whenever I'm dealing damage, I try to get as many aerials as possible and possibly a DThrow > Shadow Ball in to end their puny existence. It's working for me so far, but it's pretty flawed, still >.<

From what I've seen, when you have them with Mewtwo, hoooooly crap do you have them. You're exerting all of your Pressure (see what I did there???) when you're the one dishing the damage.

Also from my experiences, when I get a ton of damage and try to recover, I have to try to get absolutely away from the opponent, and reset the "wait for them to get in range of my dong tail" game. Mewtwo's floatiness seems to not allow for punishing a grounded opponent while landing well.

Overall, I have to say NO: Mewtwo is NOT bad. It's capable of utterly destroying opponents in seconds when played well but gets made a joke out of when played wrong. I said it before but Mewtwo seems like one of the highest risk-highest reward characters in the game, in my opinion. If I had to speculate a tier spot for Mewtwo, I'd think it'd be around mid, but let's see what everyone comes up with playing Mewtwo!

Same. I personally can't play online yet; I tried a few games and I couldn't get accustomed to the lag. Honing your skills against level 9 CPU's works well in the regard that they have a reaction time of essentially 1 frame, so they'll unrealistically react to most of your things and dodge more consistently where we humans likely wouldn't. After training my man Sonic in the past and going to FG, one of my first reactions to the mode was: "WTF these people don't dodge!"

You'll be able to play against people who've developed more diverse and better techniques, but the computers will help you better push your punishes and read dodges that a lot of people wouldn't consistently do.
I'm gonna have to read this when I get off work.. lol.
But I liked playing him in Melee and I was excited to get my old main / secondary back, but now I can't stand him anymore. :urg:
He's not that bad compared to Melee. I actually like this Mewtwo better. At least it's easier to combo with him this time around and seems much more powerful. The only thing I want is for them to fix his speed. Lightweight is fine, I just need for him to be more agile if he's gonna be so easy to KO.

Last edited:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
He's not that bad compared to Melee. I actually like this Mewtwo better. At least it's easier to combo with him this time around and seems much more powerful. The only thing I want is for them to fix his speed. Lightweight is fine, I just need for him to be more agile if he's gonna be so easy to KO.
I agree. I feel like he should be a little bit faster. But he is much better than in melee. That's for sure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Melee his aerial moves didn't have this much lag, he could approach with wavedash options, had better rolls, a faster teleport, he had Double Jump Cancel, he weighted more and he had better tilts (in my opinion). So I do not really agree that Mewtwo is better than in Melee, I'd say they are on par...

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
In Melee his aerial moves didn't have this much lag, he could approach with wavedash options, had better rolls, a faster teleport, he had Double Jump Cancel, he weighted more and he had better tilts (in my opinion). So I do not really agree that Mewtwo is better than in Melee, I'd say they are on par...
Well, in Melee, practically all the cast had wavedash options...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've been focusing on mastering his weird Teleport physics. Pretty important for escaping juggles. Teleport is a pretty odd move; if you land it right, it's hard to punish. If you mess it up, punishing it is easy as heck. I figured before the patch that if I just practiced Palutena's Warp, I'd have it down, but it the move feels completely different now that I have Mewtwo. Still pretty cool now that I'm getting the hang of it, though.

Disable is a great move at high-ish percents. It comes out relatively fast-ish, so it makes a good punish that can combo into F-Smash/D-Smash as a finisher. It's not something you want to through out a lot, but it is worth keeping an eye out for. I've gotten one or two awesome kills from it.
Special attacks still cancel his double jump.

I actually love how A attacks don't. It's pretty nifty for stages like battlefield, especially when utilized with his Nair.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
After day 2 of Mewtwo I'm still making some minor errors (trying to get the timing for Confusion down HA) but on the whole I'm still really impressed by him. Still can't get over how good his Shadow Ball and spike are.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

This is why you should leave Mewtwo to the dedicated Mewtwo mains. If you were expecting him to be the next Diddy Kong then it was never going to happen.

If you have such a problem with him then don't play him. Simple.

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771

From what I've seen, when you have them with Mewtwo, hoooooly crap do you have them. You're exerting all of your Pressure (see what I did there?) when you're the one dishing the damage.

Also from my experiences, when I get damaged a ton and try to recover, I have to try to get absolutely away from the opponent, and reset the "wait for them to get in range of my dong tail" game. Mewtwo's floatiness seems to not allow for punishing a grounded opponent while landing well. >.<

Overall, I have to say NO: Mewtwo is NOT bad. It's capable of utterly destroying opponents in seconds when played well but gets made a joke out of when played wrong, and can punish well from short or far range. I said it before but Mewtwo seems like one of the highest risk-highest reward characters in the game, in my opinion. If I had to speculate a tier spot for Mewtwo, I'd think it'd be around mid, but let's see what everyone comes up with playing Mewtwo!
*Insert "I told you so" here.*
Glad he's working out for ya.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I find that lvl. 7 CPUs are often good substitutes for most typical human players. As has been mentioned, lvl. 9 knows every command you've entered even before you press the buttons.
And I have been DESTROYING lvl. 7's with Mewtwo. Tail and Shadow Ball are bread and butter. I've already gone through a circuit of the roster and haven't lost a fight yet. I even 3-stocked a Yoshi. YOSHI.
Granted, I'm not a competitive player, but Yoshi gave my other mains (Charizard, Ganondorf, and Lucina) fits.
I just need to be good enough to be able to beat my friends, and in Melee, I couldn't even do that with Mewtwo.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Lag kills mewtwo. Samus match up is horrible when your side b always has a delay and you eat charge shots and die. I also have a hard time getting a hit in when people roll constantly. Not having an attack that hits everywhere is a flaw. Then again I should probably stop playing mewtwo like I would play bowser.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Lag kills mewtwo. Samus match up is horrible when your side b always has a delay and you eat charge shots and die. I also have a hard time getting a hit in when people roll constantly. Not having an attack that hits everywhere is a flaw. Then again I should probably stop playing mewtwo like I would play bowser.
Really, I found Mewtwo to be effective against Samus. Linking two Fairs was often enough to hit Samus too far for her to recover.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't care about having to approach. Make the opponent approach.

They don't do anything, charge your Shadow Ball(and then do the glide thing to approach and retreat if they still don't do anything about it). If they throw projectiles, reflect them.

Also, I've resolved to up-taunt every time I get a kill with U-throw.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Really, I found Mewtwo to be effective against Samus. Linking two Fairs was often enough to hit Samus too far for her to recover.
Fair is kinda weird to me. Most of the time I hit where that psychic looking swipe is I miss. That seems to have a hitbox on just his hand.

Since the Samus was projectile happy I just shadow balled their shield till it broke like a loser.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
YEEEE Even For Glory cannot withstand the rage of MYUUUUTSUUUUU!

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
So on day two i'm thinking he may overtake metaknight as my main just as i originally wanted him to. He is a glass cannon to the extreme. very vulnerable but holy crap th ammount of damage and knockback he can get so quickly is awesome. with his decent and stylish combo potential coupled with his myriad of potent ko moves it honestly feels like i'm playing a weird middleground between metaknight and ganondorf. I disagree that mewtwo should never approach. the reflect and shadowball just aren't good enough keepaway to compete with other characters zoning games and IMO mewtwo excels best at calculated midrange pressure much like marth did in melee. One thing though is that i really wish mewtwo had an attack that hit at both sides so he could deal better with random rolls on reaction.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
So on day two i'm thinking he may overtake metaknight as my main just as i originally wanted him to. He is a glass cannon to the extreme. very vulnerable but holy crap th ammount of damage and knockback he can get so quickly is awesome. with his decent and stylish combo potential coupled with his myriad of potent ko moves it honestly feels like i'm playing a weird middleground between metaknight and ganondorf. I disagree that mewtwo should never approach. the reflect and shadowball just aren't good enough keepaway to compete with other characters zoning games and IMO mewtwo excels best at calculated midrange pressure much like marth did in melee. One thing though is that i really wish mewtwo had an attack that hit at both sides so he could deal better with random rolls on reaction.
Try using Up Smash. It sometimes catches rollers off guard.

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow

Same. I personally can't play online yet; I tried a few games and I couldn't get accustomed to the lag. Honing your skills against level 9 CPU's works well in the regard that they have a reaction time of essentially 1 frame, so they'll unrealistically react to most of your things and dodge more consistently where we humans likely wouldn't. After training my man Sonic in the past and going to FG, one of my first reactions to the mode was: "WTF these people don't dodge! >:D"

Couldn't have said it better myself, I completely agree with everything you said there. Especially the FG lag -.-

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Couldn't have said it better myself, I completely agree with everything you said there. Especially the FG lag -.-
I did a couple more recently and the lag died down, and I either legitimately won or had legit matches that I lost without getting too hard rekt myself.

JK I was making skrubz rekt toppu lel.

CeruleanFlow

Smash Cadet
NNID
CeruleanFlow
This thread has DIED haha, it was insane right before the release of the codes.

Okay not totally died, but we aren't getting 15 pages a day haha

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I will say disable is a noob killer. Any full charge smash will take the stock at 90%+. No questions asked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom