• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I do a mix of fully charged ones and partially charged ones, depending on the match up and the situation.
If I'm under a lot of pressure, I don't always have the time to focus on getting a fully charge, and so I use a partial charge or an uncharged one to try to get some breathing room. Other times I might throw a partially charged one as someone lands or leaves an opening so that I can retain my own offensive pressure.

It's an incredibly versatile move with more than just one "correct" way to use it, kind of like Mewtwo himself. You've got to be flexible and willing to change things up to match the situation, and to always keep your opponent guessing.

Browny

Smash Hater
I know there are uses for baby shadow balls. My issue is that when people decide to finally throw a charged one, they throw it from neutral and its a complete waste. Its inexcusable that top players do it.

In my mind, this is identical to a cloud player charging limit and then immediately using it on blade beam across the stage. If that happened and people were asked to critique a match you can bet your life that every single criticism would be 'dont waste limit like that, you should use it on sideb instead or at least use blade beam to catch rolls/beat projectiles'. Yet when top Mewtwo players constantly waste their charged shadowballs, no one seems to care.

Throwing FCSB as an opponent is landing on a platform is godly and more people need to do it. It can easily catch landing lag frames and even if they land first, it can shield stab their toes. I wish more people did this. Every time I'm against someone on smashville, I keep one ready for this. Eventually I am going to be able to predict a recovery to the platform and when they do, its usually a free stock.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know there are uses for baby shadow balls. My issue is that when people decide to finally throw a charged one, they throw it from neutral and its a complete waste. Its inexcusable that top players do it.

In my mind, this is identical to a cloud player charging limit and then immediately using it on blade beam across the stage. If that happened and people were asked to critique a match you can bet your life that every single criticism would be 'dont waste limit like that, you should use it on sideb instead or at least use blade beam to catch rolls/beat projectiles'. Yet when top Mewtwo players constantly waste their charged shadowballs, no one seems to care.

Throwing FCSB as an opponent is landing on a platform is godly and more people need to do it. It can easily catch landing lag frames and even if they land first, it can shield stab their toes. I wish more people did this. Every time I'm against someone on smashville, I keep one ready for this. Eventually I am going to be able to predict a recovery to the platform and when they do, its usually a free stock.
It's the same dilemma modern Spark Kirby faces, at least in theory. If you don't charge you have strong harassment, but no super powerful Wave to throw, and if you do you're now forced to launch the projectile to dispel the charge and can't use your anti-airs or close range damage dealer.

Basically, some people may charge Shadow Ball in anticipation for a kill, but the opportunity never comes and they now find themselves wanting baby shadow ball harassment back, so they throw off their charge as hail-mary to do that. Compare to Samus, who can fire missiles and grapple beams in substitution for Charge Shot, and Cloud loses much more than just limit moves, going down from an exceptional character to just very good due to mobility loss.

Becaquse there is tactical merit to both baby and charged balls, people aren't as quick to judge Mewtwo's uses of either.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
In regards to this whole Shadow Ball talk, what do other characters with chargeable and store-able moves think of their options? :4cloud: and :4samus: were already discussed and I see little reason for :4dk::4sheik::4miibrawl::4mario: to not go for full charge (although :4sheik: uncharged needles work as harassment just fine). What about :4lucario::4pacman::4rob::4robinf::4miigun::4kirby: with certain copy abilities and to a point :4olimar:?

I can at least say from my personal experience with :4rob: and :4robinf: that Gyro is generally wanted uncharged so you can use it as an item quickly, plus when it's uncharged, you get access to some neat tech. As for Thunder and its variants. I tend to charge up to Arcthunder but there'll be times I wish I hadn't since Elthunder makes for a nice offstage snipe and Thunder is a decent harassment tool. Thoron is even worse and so far, the only use I've found for the move competitively is killing :4jigglypuff: since the damn thing is too slippery to hit with the other variants.

All of these characters get access to the same movement options :4mewtwo: has with their chargeable moves (save for :4olimar: who is in there for a different reason and :4miigun: /:4kirby: with :4miigun: copy ability have to fire when used in the air) and their charged and uncharged versions of their moves have different uses.

:4olimar: is listed since he may go through a similar dilemma by throwing away a Pikmin and then wishing he had it later. I would count :4peach: and her fsmash but that's a ground restricted move and suffers slightly different issues from the chargeable moves.

Edit: Guess I could mention that just as :4samus: has missiles and zair to substitute baby charge shots, :4miigun: can have the fire shot or missiles to substitute their baby charge shots, :4rob: has lasers for a long range projectile over fully charged Gyros.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Yeah Mewtwo mains never can agree on matchups, but here are the common culprits:
:4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4dedede::4dk::4diddy::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4metaknight::4ness::4rob::4ryu::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss:

I've heard Mewtwo mains complain about at least some of these.

But Mewtwo could also just not have losing match ups either, which is the confusing part.

The only 3 MU's I felt like we lost to was :4diddy::4fox::4zss:, and even I'm not sure of this anymore.

It's just . . . . when your Mewtwo is on point, you feel invincible. And I just don't get the same feeling when I play my other characters. But I'm still working on maintaing the "zone" though. Abadango is the closest to the "optimal" Mewtwo, and even he has flaws in his play.

It also doesn't help that people still have mentality of "we're good at killing so we beat Mewtwo"

Mewtwo's match ups just feel like they are a big TBD at the moment.

:150:

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Yeah Mewtwo mains never can agree on matchups, but here are the common culprits:
:4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4dedede::4dk::4diddy::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4marth::4metaknight::4ness::4rob::4ryu::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss:

But Mewtwo could also just not have losing match ups either, which is the confusing part.

The only 3 MU's I felt like we lost to was :4diddy::4fox::4zss:, and even I'm not sure of this anymore.

It's just . . . . when your Mewtwo is on point, you feel invincible. And I just don't get the same feeling when I play my other characters. But I'm still working on maintaing the "zone" though. Abadango is the closest to the "optimal" Mewtwo, and even he has flaws in his play.

It also doesn't help that people still have mentality of "we're good at killing so we beat Mewtwo"

That moment when u stop getting notifications rip me ;_; and I do know for sure we lose to those three I don't really think we lose to link,Dedede,or cloud besides those it seems alright

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People who think we have trouble with Dedede are funny.

Really, really funny.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
People who think we have trouble with Dedede are funny.

Really, really funny.
Those Gordos are actually hard to reflect due to their odd trajectory not linjng up with Mewtwo's reflector or his hitboxes well, the bouncing ones mostly just hitting Mewtwo's head, where only his u tilt can cover on the ground. Also DDD is heavy. And his range is able to keep up with Mewtwo's.

Other than that...no real notes of concern. Mewtwo outspeeds him by a disgusting amount, kills better than D3, and can still camp him out, along with better throws (cept d3 D throw at low percents.)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's just par for the course for a glass cannon to never feel truly comfortable even in "winning" matchups. Play perfectly, and they can beat anyone... or else. That is the philosophy.

Shadow Mewtwo in Pokken takes this to the logical extreme. At least in theory he has a supremely oppressive moveset and burst mode that should let him dominate... then you get critical Fire Punched by a Charizard and die in a single combo because said oppressive moves drained your health to the point where that would happen. You can try to avoid using the moves that cause this or use Recover, but that leaves gaps in your normally unassailable pressure.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Those Gordos are actually hard to reflect due to their odd trajectory not linjng up with Mewtwo's reflector or his hitboxes well, the bouncing ones mostly just hitting Mewtwo's head, where only his u tilt can cover on the ground. Also DDD is heavy. And his range is able to keep up with Mewtwo's.

Other than that...no real notes of concern. Mewtwo outspeeds him by a disgusting amount, kills better than D3, and can still camp him out, along with better throws (cept d3 D throw at low percents.)
Yeah I found that out after playing some DDD mains who I normally enjoy smacking gordos back at with my other characters.. For as good as Mewtwos fair is, its really bad at deflecting high-angle gordos which you almost cant actually hit back at DDD. Bair is way better for it if you want to go for that.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Yeah I found that out after playing some DDD mains who I normally enjoy smacking gordos back at with my other characters.. For as good as Mewtwos fair is, its really bad at deflecting high-angle gordos which you almost cant actually hit back at DDD. Bair is way better for it if you want to go for that.
I just throw shadow balls or perfect shield and proceed to camp out the d3. There isn't alot he can do when you camp him lol

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
You can easily camp out D3. His run speed and hurtboxes are such that stuffing his approach options is criminally easy. If he tries to SH Aerial then Mewtwo gets the easy Dtilt. You can Fair string D3 to death at 30% and all of Mewtwo's combos from Dtilt work regardless of DI.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Since Abadango vs Darkshad has undoubtedly made you all feel that Mewtwo vs Ryu is a relevant match-up, just wanted to pop in and say that if any players on the east coast or mid west of the USA wanna spar sometime just message me or post up here. Would love to learn more about the match.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Since Abadango vs Darkshad has undoubtedly made you all feel that Mewtwo vs Ryu is a relevant match-up, just wanted to pop in and say that if any players on the east coast or mid west of the USA wanna spar sometime just message me or post up here. Would love to learn more about the match.
I'm down to play just hit me up! You got discord?

Sonicninja115

How much of that match can we chalk up to be MU inexperience. From what I have seen, I don't think Japan has any Ryu players. From other mains losing to Ryu's it is pretty easy to see that the MU isn't good, but I am wondering how much of that is just Aba.

Also, congrats to @RichBrown for getting 7th at Fresh Saga!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Which what I am trying to remedy here with that open ended sparring invitation.

Also the match seems even to me.

Not that my opinion is worth a damn,

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Which what I am trying to remedy here with that open ende. sparring invitation.

Also the match seems even to me.

Not that my opinion is worth a damn,
Mewtwo certainly has the kit to face off vs. Ryu. There are also some edge-guarding gimmicks that Mewtwo has, like grab release jank. If done correctly, Ryu can't beat it.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mewtwo certainly has the kit to face off vs. Ryu. There are also some edge-guarding gimmicks that Mewtwo has, like grab release jank. If done correctly, Ryu can't beat it.
Grab release jank? I didn't know Mewtwo had grab release antics. Could you go into more depth at all please?

Sonicninja115

Grab release jank? I didn't know Mewtwo had grab release antics. Could you go into more depth at all please?
Mewtwo has an aerial grab release at the ledge. No true combos are possible, but because of the height and distance it sends Ryu at there are still follow-ups. For example, a Fair beats Tsukomaki and a Nair beats Focus and fall down Shoryu. There is always an easy option, and possibly a perfect string, though it was barely tested. It doesn't work on all characters, only ones with mediocre recovery options, and it is very untested.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo has an aerial grab release at the ledge. No true combos are possible, but because of the height and distance it sends Ryu at there are still follow-ups. For example, a Fair beats *Tsukomaki and a Nair beats Focus and fall down Shoryu. There is always an easy option, and possibly a perfect string, though it was barely tested. It doesn't work on all characters, only ones with mediocre recovery options, and it is very untested.
*Tatsumaki

What if Ryu decides to use his own nair or fair?

Hey, I'm back. So... how about them legends?
I got my Nekomata Master starter confirmed. (if you play DDR you know what I mean)
If Burst Evolution isn't exclusive to starters then I think I'll pick a starter that's not one of the three choices. Like for X I picked Fennekin, Wonder Traded it off and picked Fletchling as my real starter.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Not fond of the new starters, but I'll wait to see their evolutions before making any final judgements. Litten and Rowlet are starting to grow on me a little, though.
I kind of like the Sun mascot, but not the Moon one.
If Burst Evolution isn't exclusive to starters then I think I'll pick a starter that's not one of the three choices. Like for X I picked Fennekin, Wonder Traded it off and picked Fletchling as my real starter.
Er, Burst Evolution? Do you mean like Mega Evolution?

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
It's nice to know that Poke'mon Sun adds another fire lion to my slowly developing fire lion team. Only 3 more to go...

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Personally I love the starters and the legends, with the Moon legend being my favorite between the two (I love bats), but I can't decide which of the starters I like more, so I'll wait for the final evolutions to be revealed before I start picking favorites.

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
I love nothing more than these points in between generations where the new starters and cover legends come out. The divide it creates with these separate camps on each starters side is so fun, and the fan art?! Imacculate.

Now I've picked the fire starter every generation besides 6th gen where I picked froakie because Delphox was deeply troubling to me. Now this go around I might be back on my streak with Litten the Lord but everyday with this Rowlet fan art and memes..Its making it hard, I hope the final evos don't put me back in chaos.

Now the cover legends aren't so, I just pick the one that jumped out at me and I'm never consistent. This go around I need to see more before I lay down judgement.

Top Bottom