• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

C3CC

Smash Lord
So I have an upcoming tournament on February 20 and I'm not sure of which character to use. I really want to use Mewtwo, and I've been practicing a lot with him, but I don't know... I don't feel so comfortable with him, and it's very hard for me to win with him. If I use Rosalina (my other option) my chances of winning are much, much higher.

Then again, I DO want Mewtwo to be recognized out there. I just don't know if I'll be able to get far with him... D:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I have an upcoming tournament on February 20 and I'm not sure of which character to use. I really want to use Mewtwo, and I've been practicing a lot with him, but I don't know... I don't feel so comfortable with him, and it's very hard for me to win with him. If I use Rosalina (my other option) my chances of winning are much, much higher.

Then again, I DO want Mewtwo to be recognized out there. I just don't know if I'll be able to get far with him... D:
Representing Mewtwo won't mean much if you don't do well with him. If you don't feel as if you can win with him, don't feel bad about using Rosalina instead.

Though, if you're serious about getting better at playing Mewtwo, you could use this tourney as a valuable opportunity to practice with skilled Smashers in real life.

...Not that I've ever been at a serious Smash tournament. I don't think the town I live in is big enough to have a competitive scene.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910

I've been in the same situation as you before. I wanted to use Mewtwo in my first tournament but I didn't feel comfortable with him. In the end, I ended up using Marth the whole tournament and got 17th.

I pretty much agree with all of what ZephyrZ ZephyrZ said. It honestly depends on what you want to gain from this tournament. Go Rosalina if you legitimately want to win. Go Mewtwo if you just want to have fun and represent a low tier character (and also gain experience while you're at it).

C3CC

Smash Lord
Well, it's not like I'm too good to win with Rosalina either. I will most likely get destroyed because the level of the players in my city is pretty good. Heck, last tournament I went to I used Rosalina and got like 14th out of 22. I hadn't considered using Mewtwo just for fun and for practice... I think I might give it a shot with him. I still have a lot of time to decide. Thanks a lot ZephyrZ ZephyrZ DrRiceBoy DrRiceBoy !

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Can someone please help me find something? :confused:
I'm looking for a Mewtwo matchup video, Kudo's Mewtwo vs. Nairo's Dark Pit/ZSS. It used to be on youtube, but now I cant find it anywhere... :urg:

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Can someone please help me find something? :confused:
I'm looking for a Mewtwo matchup video, Kudo's Mewtwo vs. Nairo's Dark Pit/ZSS. It used to be on youtube, but now I cant find it anywhere... :urg:
Uh, well, I found Nairo playing as Mewtwo fighting a guy named Blazin' Raisins who was using Dark Pit... Kind of the opposite of what you requested...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGtUulTa1bA

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
From what I've noticed people say Mewtwo is heavily defensive, but I use him aggressively. Don't know if that is commonplace or not.

C3CC C3CC - At my last local (which was unfortunately Swiss rounds 11 players), most of us were pretty good. Not like KTAR Top 32 material, but close. The top 3 placers mained :4shulk:, :4olimar:, and :4link:, in that order. I played Mewtwo the majority of the night, with a brand new skin, and three-way-tied for fourth. What character you use and their placement on the tier list doesn't matter, as long as you can use that character to face the competition ahead of you. So if you need :rosalina:, go ahead, nothing's stopping you, but if you're sure that :4mewtwo: will shock the crowd if you do well, then do it!

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
C3CC C3CC - At my last local (which was unfortunately Swiss rounds 11 players), most of us were pretty good. Not like KTAR Top 32 material, but close. The top 3 placers mained :4shulk:, :4olimar:, and :4link:, in that order. I played Mewtwo the majority of the night, with a brand new skin, and three-way-tied for fourth. What character you use and their placement on the tier list doesn't matter, as long as you can use that character to face the competition ahead of you. So if you need :rosalina:, go ahead, nothing's stopping you, but if you're sure that :4mewtwo: will shock the crowd if you do well, then do it!
Thanks for the advice! The last tournament I went to had Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Jigglypuff and Mr. Game & Watch as the final four, with Captain Falcon emerging as the champion (and the one who eliminated me, by the way).

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
From what I've noticed people say Mewtwo is heavily defensive, but I use him aggressively. Don't know if that is commonplace or not.
When Mewtwo was slower, pre-1.1.3, a more defensive style was more attractive due to Mewtwo's questionable frame data.

Now that based 1.1.3 Mewtwo is a reality, offensive styles are more viable and are indeed getting results.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I was feeling pretty confident about my Mewtwo play, so I signed up for Anther's ladder. Than my social anxiety got to me, so I got nervous and chickened out. I'm thinking I'll suck up my fear of chatrooms tomorrow and try it out anyway, but I couldn't find the ruleset. I mean, there is a section for rules, but it didn't specify things like which stages were legal and if you could use custom moves or whatnot. Anyone know where I could find this?
I wrote about this a little while ago.

Mewtwo isn't heavy defensive. Shadow Ball is a great defensive move, but it's not exactly spammable. Mewtwo is just defensive in neutral. You use Shadow Ball to play it safe and try to force an approach, and once you get the opportunity, you go in for damage.

Mewtwo's got some great offensive tools, but his light weight and average approach options mean it's best to play it safe if you aren't at the advantage.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Went to my second tournament today. Did more poorly than my last one.

However... I faced the dude that eliminated me in the losers bracket last tournament. We met again in losers bracket today, and I managed to eliminate him 2-1. Super proud of myself.

Went Marth for half of the tournament and went Mewtwo for the other half! Did well with both, and even though I placed poorly, I'm still very satisfied with how I played.

Browny

Smash Hater
I was feeling pretty confident about my Mewtwo play, so I signed up for Anther's ladder. Than my social anxiety got to me, so I got nervous and chickened out. I'm thinking I'll suck up my fear of chatrooms tomorrow and try it out anyway, but I couldn't find the ruleset. I mean, there is a section for rules, but it didn't specify things like which stages were legal and if you could use custom moves or whatnot. Anyone know where I could find this?
I wrote about this a little while ago.

Mewtwo isn't heavy defensive. Shadow Ball is a great defensive move, but it's not exactly spammable. Mewtwo is just defensive in neutral. You use Shadow Ball to play it safe and try to force an approach, and once you get the opportunity, you go in for damage.

Mewtwo's got some great offensive tools, but his light weight and average approach options mean it's best to play it safe if you aren't at the advantage.
Nah Mewtwo is heavy defensive imo

He is the king of approach-stuffing, only ROB comes close in second place as the next best at setting up defensive walls and not getting pressured by projectile spamming.

To have a combination of a safe-on-block fast and disjointed dtilt, shadowball, long lasting upsmash, confusion and confusion as a reflector he can stop every approach in the game. Other characters might be able to play a very effective keep-away game like Sonic and Sheik but they cant put up walls like Mewtwo, ROB and Rosalina can.

If we are going to define someone with a tag like 'heavy defensive' that would imply the characters in the category are the strongest defensive ones and Mewtwo definitely has a place up there, theres no way he could be rated a lesser defensive character than the likes of ROB and Rosalina.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it's the term "heavy defence" to some people implies that the character is very good at keepaway but has very limited combos/damage output, like Dhalsim. At first Mewtwo played like this because it was the only playstyle he could use without getting constantly blown up, but now he has the means to launch an effective offensive, even if a defence-first strategy is still safer and just as effective. So I prefer to think of Mewtwo as a versatile glass cannon with a bit of emphasis on defensive prowess, like how Akuma is the same with emphasis on aggression.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
My play style with Mewtwo is pretty weird - in neutral, especially at the start of the game, I'll usually just start short hopping around and fairing, and down tilting, space 'em out a little. I just space around until I can get my opponent to get punished, and then just screw them over with Mewtwo's high damaging combos.

That reminds me, Mewtwo has one of the best combo games.

StygianSilver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silver4998
3DS FC
3711-7748-4916
That reminds me, Mewtwo has one of the best combo games.
Up tilt is probably one of my favorite combo starters in the game. Just Mewtwo's tail attacks in general are really good combo moves (well, there is side tilt but we don't really talk about that)

Before I see an opening, I charge Shadow Ball in midair (I love that you can do that) and air dodge to cancel it/avoid the opposition. I generally induce hitstun with jab, down tilt, or grab, but if I can catch them out of the air with nair, I do so. And then... I drop the combos. They're pretty sick, if I do say so myself. If you'd like some of them, I can make a post about it, but not now.

Also, I think I might pick up :4pit:. He falls in between Greninja and Mewtwo in terms of moveset, and I could easily use him as a pocket instead of :4metaknight:.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Up tilt is probably one of my favorite combo starters in the game. Just Mewtwo's tail attacks in general are really good combo moves (well, there is side tilt but we don't really talk about that)
I mean, side tilts are usually the kind of tilts that are left out because most of the time they're just not good moves or they're just outclassed. I can name multiple characters with this issue:
Mario
Luigi
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Jigglypuff

There are some characters with somewhat useful side tilts, like Lucario and Little Mac, but even then those aren't the greatest moves.

Mewtwo's side tilt is only better than those I just mentioned because it has a decent range to it, but the problem is down tilt has very slightly less than it or the same - making side tilt almost completely outclassed, the only thing it has over down tilt is the fact that you can do PP forward tilts for spacing, but guess what down tilt also does? Space.

To be honest, I've been hurt by this much more than I've been helped - usually when I use it, it's actually sort of when I want to down tilt but I messed up, and, side tilt can lead you open to punishes. For side tilt's slow speed, it gives extremely marginal reward compared to down tilt, which is not only pretty much lagless in ending lag, but grants Mewtwo extremely high reward. So basically almost any time you want to use forward tilt, that's honestly a time to use down tilt instead.

StygianSilver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silver4998
3DS FC
3711-7748-4916
That's what I mean haha, I was playing earlier and kept using it by mistake :p
It's an okay attack if you want to arc it, but it's not the kind of move that you want to throw out unless you're certain it'll connect.
I've heard people say it's a situational kill move, but honestly I'd say forward throw has more kill power XD

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
That's what I mean haha, I was playing earlier and kept using it by mistake :p
It's an okay attack if you want to arc it, but it's not the kind of move that you want to throw out unless you're certain it'll connect.
I've heard people say it's a situational kill move, but honestly I'd say forward throw has more kill power XD
nah, forward throw doesn't have more kill power in it. Why would you use it over any other kill move? :p

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Anyone up for some Mewtwo dittos right now? :4mewtwo:

Last edited:
Here's some useful forward tilts:
Ganondorf. KOs at around 95 on most characters due to its flat knockback.
Pit. A safe on shield alternative to Forward Smash at low percents.
Greninja. Actually has a complete hitbox, unlike forward smash.
Sheik. Well, duh, it's Sheik. It's like the #1 combo starter in the game.
Olimar. Requires no Pikmin and smashes around 125-ish.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Of the characters listed, I can at least defend the ftilts of Fox, Falco and Mewtwo himself. Fox's ftilt when angled downwards can jab lock. I have no idea how many opportunities Fox tends to get to make use of it but it's there nonetheless. Falco's is a good spacing tool at higher percents (punishable on hit at low percents though). And Mewtwo's also jab locks and I believe is his only jab lock option if you have a charged Shadow Ball. Stops jab locking earlier than SB though but I'd imagine it does more damage and Mewtwo can at least make consistent use of it if he can drag someone off a platform with nair.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's some useful forward tilts:
Ganondorf. KOs at around 95 on most characters due to its flat knockback.
Pit. A safe on shield alternative to Forward Smash at low percents.
Greninja. Actually has a complete hitbox, unlike forward smash.
Sheik. Well, duh, it's Sheik. It's like the #1 combo starter in the game.
Olimar. Requires no Pikmin and smashes around 125-ish.
:4wario: and :4bowser: both have ftilt as a solid kill option.

:4marth: and :4feroy:'s are basically faster, safer fsmashes for them.

:4duckhunt:, :4gaw:, :4sonic:, :4wiifit: and :4villager: are the rare cases where their ftilts are more effective, faster pokes than their dtilts.

For everybody else it's either a superior dtilt, both tilts having different valid utilities or both being very similar.

Furret24

Smash Master
:4wario: and :4bowser: both have ftilt as a solid kill option.

:4marth: and :4feroy:'s are basically faster, safer fsmashes for them.

:4duckhunt:, :4gaw:, :4sonic:, :4wiifit: and :4villager: are the rare cases where their ftilts are more effective, faster pokes than their dtilts.

For everybody else it's either a superior dtilt, both tilts having different valid utilities or both being very similar.
G&W's dtilt, from my experience, is a better poking and spacing tool than ftilt due to it's superior range and speed. They're both decent poking tools though. They're also both solid KO options, gaining kill power around 130%. Shame they're also some of his only solid KO options.

Dedede's ftilt is a also a much better poking tool than his dtilt btw.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte

I'm a Sonic main and I use his d-tilt more than f-tilt as his d-tilt is good for tech chasing at higher percents, has a chance to trip at lower and mid percents, and has less end lag, which can sometimes make it the better spacing tool even though f-tilt has more range.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
G&W's dtilt, from my experience, is a better poking and spacing tool than ftilt due to it's superior range and speed. They're both decent poking tools though. They're also both solid KO options, gaining kill power around 130%. Shame they're also some of his only solid KO options.

Dedede's ftilt is a also a much better poking tool than his dtilt btw.
Dedede's dtilt isn't really a poke, so it's not really fair to compare the tilts here. It's more of a fast hit for close quarters.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Charizard's f-tilt is has a slightly longer range than d-tilt, and it can sweetspot to kill close to the edge.

Some f-tilts(including Zard's) can also come in handy if you're being chased.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
bruh im salty i wasn't around when you posted that, i was playing online for like an hour on stream
Aww that's unfortunate! but add my NNID: mettalex and we'll play some matches sometime soon! :4mewtwo:

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Uh, well, I found Nairo playing as Mewtwo fighting a guy named Blazin' Raisins who was using Dark Pit... Kind of the opposite of what you requested...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGtUulTa1bA
Dang... it's a really good match though, and I'm not gonna give away who wins. Ah well... that's ok then, thanx for tryin anyways. That video was... interesting

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Dang... it's a really good match though, and I'm not gonna give away who wins. Ah well... that's ok then, thanx for tryin anyways. That video was... interesting
Indeed. Though Nairo was 2slow when attempting those jab->disable combos, but then again I've never landed one, either. I HOPE NAIRO PULLS OFF ANOTHER MLG BUT WITH MEWTWO!!!!!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just found out my parents ordered tickets for Symphonic Evolutions while I was asleep. They spent $70 more dollars that even what I was expecting. Not sure if I should except them or exchange them to get our money back. :crazy:

Top Bottom