• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Mewtwo should have his real powers. Able to mind control people offstage (literally controlling their character), teleport the stage (and himself) miles away from the oponent, making his opponent haluccinate that he is in a different stage (specially online). I mean why not, that's just the bare beginnings of his powers.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I'll deliver my thoughts on DLC balance by describing the phenomena in other fighting games I've played:

UMVC3:

Shuma-Gorath - average character, never buffed
Jill Valentine - see: Shuma-Gorath

PSASBR:

Kat-effectively Brawl Meta Knight, nerfed eventually
Emmett Graves- Balanced, given a few buffs
Isaac Clarke-projectile based Brawl Meta Knight, heavily nerfed
Zeus-average heavyweight, given a few buffs

Injustice:

Lobo-average, given buffs(iirc)
Batgirl-powerful, given nerfs
Scorpion-great character, given nerfs
Martian Manhunter-amazing, idk, probably nerfed

So with Mewtwo, I expect to see either something balanced or something OP and then nerfed, personally.
You forgot Zod for Injustice, he was my main but I would say he's average, I dont know if he got buffs though. Also Playstation All-Stars was far from being balanced lol

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Mewtwo should have his real powers. Able to mind control people offstage (literally controlling their character), teleport the stage (and himself) miles away from the oponent, making his opponent haluccinate that he is in a different stage (specially online). I mean why not, that's just the bare beginnings of his powers.
Don't forget the ability to summon a Psychic Storm capable of destroying the Earth! That would be epic!

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Zod is broken because he wins. He always wins.

Favorite comic character of all time, thanks to Stamp's performance.
YOU WILL KNEEL BEFORE ZOD.

God that's all he said when he was on the battlefield in DC Universe, its quite humorous actually.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If Mewtwo turns out balanced, it will be due to luck. Sakurai is actively against having a balanced roster, thinking it somehow makes the game less fun.

Sometimes I wonder if that man even knows what "fun" is anymore.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If Mewtwo turns out balanced, it will be due to luck. Sakurai is actively against having a balanced roster, thinking it somehow makes the game less fun.

Sometimes I wonder if that man even knows what "fun" is anymore.
Clearly it's losing with your favorite character because they're not very good. Where have you been?

In all seriousness, I have no idea what his thought processes on that matter are. He said that if the roster was totally balanced, it would "no longer be about playing a game". I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Clearly it's losing with your favorite character because they're not very good. Where have you been?

In all seriousness, I have no idea what his thought processes on that matter are. He said that if the roster was totally balanced, it would "no longer be about playing a game". I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean.
Oh my God, I remember that. And I also remember my jaw dropping and the incredible disbelief I felt immediately afterward. Previously, I had liked Sakurai. I mean, he had made questionable decisions, but he had never done anything that made me think they should get a new director. Nothing near that bad. But after reading what he said about balance, I almost immediatley lost all hope. If he legitimately thinks that character balance sucks the fun out of the game and destroys the purpose, then Smash really does need a new director. Fun is being able to play as whoever you want without having to worry about losing because they were designed badly. I feel like that's almost as simple as 2+2=4. And I agree with you, Xzsmmc, I don't even understand the whole "not even about playing the game anymore" thing. If anything, I would think a balanced game would attract more customers. With all due respect, I think Sakurai had an amazing run, but if he thinks balance is something trivial and unimportant in a fighting game, then Nintendo needs to find a new director for Smash.
Quick question to @Speed: Who won the Hunger Games thingy?
Her computer closed the tab or something, so she lost the entire scenario. We don't know. However, I think it's pretty obvious that I won because I obviously would have came back to life as a ghost and killed everyone with my icy tendrils of ectoplasm.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Oh my God, I remember that. And I also remember my jaw dropping and the incredible disbelief I felt immediately afterward. Previously, I had liked Sakurai. I mean, he had made questionable decisions, but he had never done anything that made me think they should get a new director. Nothing near that bad. But after read what he said about balance, I almost immediatley lost all hope. If he legitimately thinks that character balance sucks the fun out of the game and destroys the purpose, then Smash really does need to a new director. Fun is being able to play as whoever you want without having to worry about losing because they were designed badly. I feel like that's almost as simple as 2+2=4. And I agree with you, Xzsmmc, I don't even understand the whole "not even about playing the game anymore" thing. If anything, I would think a balanced game would attract more customers. With all due respect, I think Sakurai had an amazing run, but if he thinks balance is something trivial and unimportant in a fighting game, then Nintendo needs to find a new director for Smash.

Her computer closed the tab or something, so she lost the entire scenario. We don't know. However, I think it's pretty obvious that I won because I obviously would have came back to life as a ghost and killed everyone with my icy tendrils of ectoplasm.
What also confuses me what this individual says is that competitive Smash "has no future". Now dont get me wrong, I am thankful he has made this amazing franchise but saying that makes little to no sense. I mean a prime example is Melee, a game from 2001 and its played at huge tournament events. I'm not offended personally but really I'm confused why he would even think that (let alone say that). Even when Smash Bros eventually comes to an end, I think competitive Smash will still live on

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
What also confuses me what this individual says is that competitive Smash "has no future". Now dont get me wrong, I am thankful he has made this amazing franchise but saying that makes little to no sense. I mean a prime example is Melee, a game from 2001 and its played at huge tournament events. I'm not offended personally but really I'm confused why he would even think that (let alone say that). Even when Smash Bros eventually comes to an end, I think competitive Smash will still live on
Well, I think that's exactly the issue he has with it. He flat-out considers Melee to be a mistake. He hates that his least-favorite work is the one that's living on.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Well, I think that's exactly the issue he has with it. He flat-out considers Melee to be a mistake. He hates that his least-favorite work is the one that's living on.
(a beautiful mistake, you have to agree with that even if you dont like Melee yourself)
As an amateur artist I can understand that in a way. It used to bother me that my sketches would get more "praise" than the work I actually put full heart and passion into, but as time progressed I just learned to accept it. Everyone has different taste, a drawing that I find crap (from myself of course) might look really good to someone else and thats totally fine. I'm not going to go as far as say "my art has no future", its kinda harsh.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
(a beautiful mistake, you have to agree with that even if you dont like Melee yourself)
As an amateur artist I can understand that in a way. It used to bother me that my sketches would get more "praise" than the work I actually put full heart and passion into, but as time progressed I just learned to accept it. Everyone has different taste, a drawing that I find crap (from myself of course) might look really good to someone else and thats totally fine. I'm not going to go as far as say "my art has no future", its kinda harsh.
It's not that I don't like Melee, I just think it's aged horribly with PM around. And you've gotta admit, the hordes who insist that it's the end-all-be-all are a tad irritating. Especially after what they did to ZeRo at APEX, what with cheering because the Wii U tournament was over instead of congratulating his victory.

There's also the price barrier making it literally impossible for anyone without a lot of money to burn to get into the scene without being a yar har fiddle dee dee, and even then you have to be able to afford a state-of-the-art ultimate gaming PC to even be able to run it.

To paraphrase a comparison from Cracked.com, they're "more hostile to their young than the Breakfast Hen, and that's a fictional chicken I just made up who lays eggs directly into a frying pan".

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
It's not that I don't like Melee, I just think it's aged horribly with PM around. And you've gotta admit, the hordes who insist that it's the end-all-be-all are a tad irritating. Especially after what they did to ZeRo at APEX, what with cheering because the Wii U tournament was over instead of congratulating his victory.

There's also the price barrier making it literally impossible for anyone without a lot of money to burn to get into the scene without being a yar har fiddle dee dee, and even then you have to be able to afford a state-of-the-art ultimate gaming PC to even be able to run it.

To paraphrase a comparison from Cracked.com, they're "more hostile to their young than the Breakfast Hen, and that's a fictional chicken I just made up who lays eggs directly into a frying pan".
I do agree with the Apex scenario, it showed the really ugly side of the community and I wish it didn't happen at all. Zero isn't my favorite player but he still worked hard to win Smash 4 Apex and I think he deserved better than that. I never really liked the elitism for Melee to begin with and that day didn't make it any better

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I do agree with the Apex scenario, it showed the really ugly side of the community and I wish it didn't happen at all. Zero isn't my favorite player but he still worked hard to win Smash 4 Apex and I think he deserved better than that. I never really liked the elitism for Melee to begin with and that day didn't make it any better
The Melee chanting at Apex was what really showed me just how toxic Melee Elitists can be. If you like a Smash game better than the others, than that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is when you openly bash the other games and flame their fans for liking it. The thing that Melee Elitists don't seem to understand is that their opinion isn't fact. Everybody has their own opinion, and they just need to agree to disagree. Also, Melee Elitists aren't the only Smash Elitists out there. There are Elitists for every game in the series, and they're all just as wrong. Melee Elitists just seem to be more vocal and omnipresent.
Prior to the Apex occurrence, I always dismissed Melee Elitists as children who can't seem to get along. But something about publicly cheering for the end of a game you dislike and for your favorite game when you're supposed to be cheering for the guy who worked his tail off to win one of the nation's biggest tournaments made them seem evil. That kind of sheer public disrespect and organization isn't something a child does. It's something that adults with absolutely no upbringing do. It's one thing to do it on the internet, but doing it at public event of that level is just hateful.

D

Deleted member

Can I go to any board that's not in the BR without shaking my head over what people are saying nowadays?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Melee chanting at Apex was what really showed me just how toxic Melee Elitists can be. If you like a Smash game better than the others, than that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is when you openly bash the other games and flame their fans for liking it. The thing that Melee Elitists don't seem to understand is that their opinion isn't fact. Everybody has their own opinion, and they just need to agree to disagree. Also, Melee Elitists aren't the only Smash Elitists out there. There are Elitists for every game in the series, and they're all just as wrong. Melee Elitists just seem to be more vocal and omnipresent.
Prior to the Apex occurrence, I always dismissed Melee Elitists as children who can't seem to get along. But something about publicly cheering for the end of a game you dislike and for your favorite game when you're supposed to be cheering for the guy who worked his tail off to win one of the nation's biggest tournaments made them seem evil. That kind of sheer public disrespect and organization isn't something a child does. It's something that adults with absolutely no upbringing do. It's one thing to do it on the internet, but doing it at public event of that level is just hateful.
Yeah, it's right that each game has its elitists.
I'd be lying that I didn't have a 4 bias that I tend to make known. (I'm honestly trying to hammer that out, though, because it makes me a gigantic hypocrite.)
And I've had to put a couple of users on Ignore because they were being such nasty Brawl elitists, even well after 4 came out.

But yeah, no pun intended, the Melee chanters at APEX was definitely the apex of nastiness in this fandom in all our 16 years.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yet he's also admitted that Brawl could of been balanced better, and made Smash 4 the most balanced game yet, even including a balancing patch after it came out. If he really hated balance that much, he would of just left Metaknight as is.

Perhaps there was a mistranslation? I think what he meant was that there are other things that take priority over balance to a casual audience.

Last edited:

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Zantanna? And what about the Mortal Kombat 9 DLC characters? Also, hi everyone.
All the DLC characters rank pretty well in MK9. If I recall, the main top tier characters are Kabal and smoke who aren't DLC characters.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
In Soul Calibur V, the DLC character Dampierre is the worst character in the game on purpose, which is, come to think of it, kind of a **** move. I got him for free as a pre-order bonus, though, so eh.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
All the DLC characters rank pretty well in MK9. If I recall, the main top tier characters are Kabal and smoke who aren't DLC characters.
Hair off topic

A note on MK dlc

First freddy krueger and now jason from friday the 13th

(And no i don't play MK)

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Hair off topic

A note on MK dlc

First freddy krueger and now jason from friday the 13th

(And no i don't play MK)
Which is awesome that they're including him but I still don't support the whole pre-order "exclusive" Goro bs. I'm going to stop right there before I start ranting about pre-ordering. So on a different subject, I finally got the confirmation email that my CD is on its way so thats cool.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
We could start it now to be honest.
Probably be useful once we get actual info. Till then it'd just be lot's of bs inferences and trolls a plenty (so basically the same as here but with the annoying skype message sound). Though on release it'd be a quick way to discover potential uses for moves and develop his character to figure out where he fits in the meta, especially since his tactics will have to develop quickly to catch up to the 6-7 months he hasn't been available.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
What if when Mewtwo is released, he is the counter to Diddy Kong and his HOO HAHs?

Last edited:

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
We could start it now to be honest.
I'd be down for it of it was on Skype.

Probably be useful once we get actual info. Till then it'd just be lot's of bs inferences and trolls a plenty (so basically the same as here but with the annoying skype message sound). Though on release it'd be a quick way to discover potential uses for moves and develop his character to figure out where he fits in the meta, especially since his tactics will have to develop quickly to catch up to the 6-7 months he hasn't been available.
You can always change the chat settings so you never hear the message pop up sound from it tho

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Woah, Mewtwo skype group? Add me if you ever make it! :D
Its TonicTheSqurriel

Top Bottom