• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Her computer closed the tab or something, so she lost the entire scenario. We don't know. However, I think it's pretty obvious that I won because I obviously would have came back to life as a ghost and killed everyone with my icy tendrils of ectoplasm.
I thought she had said she read to the end, and knew who it was.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Sure, give me your skype's on a PM, we can start it. That way we can all start getting to know each other and we can even play against each other. Whomever doesn't want to join yet because of the extremely logical and valid reason that Mewtwo is not out yet doesn't have to join, but those of us who don't care can go ahead and start it :p.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Woah, Mewtwo skype group? Add me if you ever make it! :D
Its TonicTheSqurriel
Well if more people are on board with the idea then it can start
Sure, give me your skype's on a PM, we can start it. That way we can all start getting to know each other and we can even play against each other. Whomever doesn't want to join yet because of the extremely logical and valid reason that Mewtwo is not out yet doesn't have to join, but those of us who don't care can go ahead and start it :p.
My Skype ID is kuronoize

Spirst

A Skype group is alright but we don't want to stifle forum activity either. Both have their merits but being able to archive stuff in a forum makes it superior to the instant communication of a Skype group in my opinion.

Skype is "Spirsto" though if we're going to do this.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
A Skype group is alright but we don't want to stifle forum activity either. Both have their merits but being able to archive stuff in a forum makes it superior to the instant communication of a Skype group in my opinion.

Skype is "Spirsto" though if we're going to do this.
Is your name supposed to be blinking?
nvm
:v

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
None of those games took 6+ months for *1* character. I expect Mewtwo to be perfectly balanced for whatever Sakurai actually balances characters for which I assume is a mixture of 1v1 and FFA.
I was gonna say good point but maybe Mewtwo was a last minute decision when they saw how disappointed the Mewtwo community was? Or whatever the reason. With other fighting games I'd assume the dlc characters were preplanned awhile back so all they had to do was tweak and release them when they feel it's a time when they can make the most profit.

I do have to wonder what else is coming with Mewtwo seeing as it's taking them THIS long.. not even one darn gameplay screenshot. It wouldn't be that hard right? I'll be patient though..

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I was gonna say good point but maybe Mewtwo was a last minute decision when they saw how disappointed the Mewtwo community was? Or whatever the reason. With other fighting games I'd assume the dlc characters were preplanned awhile back so all they had to do was tweak and release them when they feel it's a time when they can make the most profit.

I do have to wonder what else is coming with Mewtwo seeing as it's taking them THIS long.. not even one darn gameplay screenshot. It wouldn't be that hard right? I'll be patient though..

Well I know that some people knew of the Mewtwo DLC a little after the 3DS release (before the official announcement) which would still mean he's been at the very least PLANNED for 6 months or more, even if his development started after the Wii U version was done. Honestly I can't imagine it taking this long for only one character. That's completely impossible.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well I know that some people knew of the Mewtwo DLC a little after the 3DS release (before the official announcement) which would still mean he's been at the very least PLANNED for 6 months or more, even if his development started after the Wii U version was done. Honestly I can't imagine it taking this long for only one character. That's completely impossible.
Agreed. Something's up.. I wonder what Nintendo has in store. If they don't say anything after March 31 there's definitely something going on..

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I thought she had said she read to the end, and knew who it was.
I don't know. Maybe she forgot...?
I hope she's okay. No-one here had any bad blood towards her, right?
Not that I remember. I wasn't even annoyed. I thought it was just a cute little prank, and I actually enjoyed it to an extent. Nothing harmful. And its not just this thread, she's disappeared from the entire Boards. She's still lurking, though, so maybe she'll come back soon. She really was fun to be around.

Also, about Mewtwo being a Diddy Kong counter, I think that it's actually entirely possible. I don't know if you guys know this, but characters that fly during their dash (Rosalina, Charizard, Meta Knight, etc.) don't slip on Diddy's Bananas if they run across them full speed. The only one I'm not sure about is Meta Knight, but I know the others won't slip. That makes some of them Diddy counters, and if Meta Knight doesn't slip, I would imagine he would be the best counter due to his smaller size and quick attacks. Anyway, assuming Mewtwo retains his hovering dash, he could be immune do Diddy's Bananas, so, if his attacks give to Diddy Kong trouble, its possible that he could be a Diddy counter.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Agreed. Something's up.. I wonder what Nintendo has in store. If they don't say anything after March 31 there's definitely something going on..
They HAVE to give us something before the end of March, especially since the final dead line for all the bonuses will be up (meaning both the CD/Mewtwo DLC)

I'm confident that we'll see or hear something and it will be when we least expect it. Really hoping Mewtwo gets a trailer! :D

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
From what I recall on the match up of Diddy vs. MK it's about 50/50 though it has nothing to do with the hover dash banana invulnerability shenanigans.

Though I imagine he'd be fairly decent regardless, provided he keeps teleport. Always has been really hard to juggle a decent mewtwo that knows how to use teleport well, and that means the Hoo Ha ain't gonna be a solid option provided that and his floatiness stays.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Honestly I can't imagine it taking this long for only one character. That's completely impossible.
We have a few possible reasons:

-Mewtwo is getting revamped completely from scratch and his new moveset is being done with care
-There's a second or even third character in development to make more $$$ and the teams were split, slowing the process but ensuring more gain depending on who could possibly be in development(as theorized by Etika when analyzing the fake Rayman leak).
-DLC probably takes a long time Smash-wise; Kirby hats, voice acting, programming for two consoles, Palutena's Guidance(if any), balancing, trailer, etc. could all add to the total dev time.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

-Mewtwo is getting revamped completely from scratch and his new moveset is being done with care
-There's a second or even third character in development to make more $$$ and the teams were split, slowing the process but ensuring more gain depending on who could possibly be in development(as theorized by Etika when analyzing the fake Rayman leak).
-DLC probably takes a long time Smash-wise; Kirby hats, voice acting, programming for two consoles, Palutena's Guidance(if any), balancing, trailer, etc. could all add to the total dev time.
Or it could just be that they want to keep us on the edge of our seats for profit reasons. :p The longer they wait, the more they make out of it. Heck, the "smart" thing to do, would simply be to delay it till summer...or longer.

Edit: I'm ok guys. It's just that I keep checking back for actual news, but it never comes. It's seriously depressing.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Or it could just be that they want to keep us on the edge of our seats for profit reasons. :p The longer they wait, the more they make out of it. Heck, the "smart" thing to do, would simply be to delay it till summer...or longer.

Edit: I'm ok guys. It's just that I keep checking back for actual news, but it never comes. It's seriously depressing.
Ridley fans were kept on the edge of their seats since April only to get a dis-confirmation in September and a kick to the balls in October, plus hope-crushing from Sakurai in November. And Nintendo surely never made anything from it except teasing and joking towards the fans. What does Nintendo gain from revealing nothing about Mewtwo after what, 6 months? They have no reason to stall Mewtwo since it also stalls the inevitable financial gain. Revealing something about Mewtwo in the next two weeks would arguably benefit them since fans would be rushing to buy the other version they don't have just for Mewtwo.

TLDR stalling Mewtwo makes no sense.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Programming the engine takes the most time (plus programming modes and all that), programming a fighter actually takes much less than programming the physics and rules of the game itself. Specially things like knockback, hitstun, shield damage etc which are all programmed only once and then are just values to be set for every move.

Then there's balancing too which takes a really long time and can only be done once most chars are done (which means programming of the characters stopped way before release). If I had to guess I would say programming characters took about half of development time which would amount to about a year and a half.

This would mean that the team was making roughly 3 characters per month. Even if balancing becomes harder and harder per every new character like Sakurai stated (which it truly does), there's no real reason for one extra character to take up 6 months.

As I said they are either making a lot of unannounced stuff or they are just purposely stalling so that people don't complain about DLC shenanigans.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
They HAVE to give us something before the end of March, especially since the final dead line for all the bonuses will be up (meaning both the CD/Mewtwo DLC)

I'm confident that we'll see or hear something and it will be when we least expect it. Really hoping Mewtwo gets a trailer! :D
Are you kidding? Mewtwo will definitely get a trailer :p

First ever dlc character and returning veteran - oh yeah, dude's getting a trailer. Not to mention that Nintendo has kept us waiting this long.. it's going to be epic and we're all going to be cheering and freaking out when it comes out!

Let's not get our hopes 100% up due to Nintendo's tease record, so maybe 50%, but the 31st IS 2 weeks away.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty much. Wait and see how things turn out first before making a Skype group otherwise you might kill discussion before it even begins. Only this social thread is concrete so far in terms of how the board will eventually turn out anyway.

Come release, the majority of threads on this board (probably everything bar the original Xiivi thread) will be locked/removed for organization and replaced with threads with decent OPs from those who show interest in leading discussion/advancing the character's metagame.

Q&A - Most likely to be merged with the DLC Notice Thread
Basic Moveset Community Guide - Will begin in full a week or two after release/when I get the time to start a PM
Video Critique
Match Ups
Custom Move Project

It's going to be interesting. Given they already had a working model back in October, and even more interesting given the ESRB ? mark leak during the summertime.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Pretty much. Wait and see how things turn out first before making a Skype group otherwise you might kill discussion before it even begins. Only this social thread is concrete so far in terms of how the board will eventually turn out anyway.

Come release, the majority of threads on this board (probably everything bar the original Xiivi thread) will be locked/removed for organization and replaced with threads with decent OPs from those who show interest in leading discussion/advancing the character's metagame.

Q&A - Most likely to be merged with the DLC Notice Thread
Basic Moveset Community Guide - Will begin in full a week or two after release/when I get the time to start a PM
Video Critique
Match Ups
Custom Move Project

It's going to be interesting. Given they already had a working model back in October, and even more interesting given the ESRB ? mark leak during the summertime.
Wait, now that I think about it, what was the icon on that leak, was it an original artwork?

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I wonder if Male/Female Mewtwo will be options to play as like the Robins.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
There aren't enough differences to justify it, unlike both Robins or the WFTs.

Unless there were simply a voice swap option.
I'm not sure but I think Female Mewtwo has rounder eyes than the original male Mewtwo's sharper ones? But hey, if Mac can get a wire frame alt then I guess Mewtwo can get the Male/Female alt

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wait, now that I think about it, what was the icon on that leak, was it an original artwork?
This from back in August before the pictures and ESRB video was leaked to the general public.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440

I feel your pain Speed, I'm waiting too we all are.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
From what I recall on the match up of Diddy vs. MK it's about 50/50 though it has nothing to do with the hover dash banana invulnerability shenanigans.

Though I imagine he'd be fairly decent regardless, provided he keeps teleport. Always has been really hard to juggle a decent mewtwo that knows how to use teleport well, and that means the Hoo Ha ain't gonna be a solid option provided that and his floatiness stays.
I really do hope that Mewtwo keeps Teleport. It made his recovery nigh-ungimpable, and it was great for escaping combos, like you said. And since Hoo-Hah is a viable combo for most of the cast, Mewtwo being immune to it would be great for his metagame.
I don't think so. Looking at it right now, it looks almost exactly like his Melee artwork. I'm fairly certain that it's a variation of it, if not a copy-paste.

About the whole voice option thing, I think the best way to implement it would be to have them share a model, but when you select Mewtwo on the CSS, a little drop-down menu like the Custom Character Select would appear, and there would be a "Male voice" and "Female voice" options. That way, it's less unnecessary work on the developers, since they don't have to make a model edit for Femtwo, even though she and Maletwo look pretty much the same, and everybody wins: You're getting all 8 of Mewtwo's palette swaps for both genders instead of splitting them down the middle.
Alternatively, they could do 16 palette swaps for Mewtwo, and distinguish Maletwo and Femtwo with different poses, but I honestly think the voice drop-down menu is the easiest option, both on the developers and for the players.

@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed It's great to see you again! I'm glad nothing's wrong.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
This from back in August before the pictures and ESRB video was leaked to the general public.

Yea, so all those icons are official artwork, I am wondering if Mewtwo might be too. Which takes us back to our question: Is that artwork copied or is it new?

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
I don't know. Maybe she forgot...?

Not that I remember. I wasn't even annoyed. I thought it was just a cute little prank, and I actually enjoyed it to an extent. Nothing harmful. And its not just this thread, she's disappeared from the entire Boards. She's still lurking, though, so maybe she'll come back soon. She really was fun to be around.

Also, about Mewtwo being a Diddy Kong counter, I think that it's actually entirely possible. I don't know if you guys know this, but characters that fly during their dash (Rosalina, Charizard, Meta Knight, etc.) don't slip on Diddy's Bananas if they run across them full speed. The only one I'm not sure about is Meta Knight, but I know the others won't slip. That makes some of them Diddy counters, and if Meta Knight doesn't slip, I would imagine he would be the best counter due to his smaller size and quick attacks. Anyway, assuming Mewtwo retains his hovering dash, he could be immune do Diddy's Bananas, so, if his attacks give to Diddy Kong trouble, its possible that he could be a Diddy counter.
He HAS to have his hovering dash again. Mewtwo running doesn't make any sense at all.

Besides, it looks so freaking cool.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

Missed you.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Just before I woke up this morning, I had a dreamish thing where I was scrolling down my Twitter feed or something and saw that Mewtwo codes were starting to be emailed.

It was a sad sad morning.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Where have you ben

You ben my entertainment of this thread.

I wonder if Male/Female Mewtwo will be options to play as like the Robins.

Male

Female

Differences are too minuscule for that thpe of patlette swap

But male is more likely due to fan wants

(Best example is pac-man everyone exspected disney xds pac-man but we got the most popular version instead.)

Top Bottom