• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Do I really have to add text to this?

EDIT: I think this might actually be fake. I can't see the tweet on NoA's twitter

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Aww... Oh, well. No new Direct, I guess. We'll just have to wait a little longer before we get Mewtwo information. I mean, it can't be that much longer, can it? It's been four months and the Mewtwo offer ends on the 31st. They have to throw us a bone sooner or later.
Well at least tomorrow is Friday I guess

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
I don't understand the question. Could you rephrase it?

No, no one hates you. There is no reason for anyone to.
idk... someone on the forums said hes appalled by how gullible i am for still believing in speed. also just got out of an arguement with someone. just a momentary lapse in self-doubt is all. i wonder if everyone here thinks i AM gullible.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
idk... someone on the forums said hes appalled by how gullible i am for still believing in speed. also just got out of an arguement with someone. just a momentary lapse in self-doubt is all. i wonder if everyone here thinks i AM gullible.
Thinking you're gullible isn't necessarily the same as hating you.

I'm not going to say if I really think you're gullible or not, but I am going to tell you that t's not fair to judge you over something trivial like that.
I'm awkward, antisocial, obsessive, and while I do my best to stay cool, I'm actually really hot-headed. But if you don't hate me for that, I won't hate you in return. Does that sound good to you?

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Thinking you're gullible isn't necessarily the same as hating you.

I'm not going to say if I really think you're gullible or not, but I am going to tell you that t's not fair to judge you over something trivial like that.
I'm awkward, antisocial, obsessive, and while I do my best to stay cool, I'm actually really hot-headed. But if you don't hate me for that, I won't hate you in return. Does that sound good to you?
thanks.i just had a small lapse in confidence..... >.<

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Ok why did I have to be too busy with work to observe magnificent trolling as it was happening ;_;

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
It's like Nintendo likes us to get our hopes up and be let down over and over then be like JKhereugo..

Kinda digging into to the past here but I gotta say, I'm proud to be one of the few that never lost hope on Mewtwo. Remember that time when all the characters were unlocked for the Wii U, then someone got the Mewtwo trophy and everyone just gave up? At least this time it's just a matter of waiting. Let's all keep our wits about us until the 31st, then let's all start nagging Nintendo for some info :)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd say Brawl was the great depression for Mewtwo fans.
Now we know for a fact that he's coming, and it's awesome. Torturous, but awesome.

And when the DLC finally does come out...it'll be the Golden Era of Mewtwo fans.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Sucking in Smash 4 isn't as bad as sucking in Melee, though.

Or so I've heard, at least. Truth be told, I've never really played Melee.
Not sucking is still preferable to sucking in 4. No one likes losing with their favorite character simply because that character isn't very good.

Sucking in Melee is absolute misery. When you pick someone like Bowser or Kirby, the game just laughs.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I'd say Brawl was the great depression for Mewtwo fans.
Now we know for a fact that he's coming, and it's awesome. Torturous, but awesome.

And when the DLC finally does come out...it'll be the Golden Era of Mewtwo fans.
(I'm opening a can of worms here)
I would say Brawl was WW1 because Mewtwo fans FLIPPED OUT and looked for something to blame for and they found Lucario (when its not even Lucario's fault to begin with). Bashing erupted yada yada, you know, good ol 2008. And theres still people that are mad about it, something from seven freaking years ago. (talk about living in the past) They're both great, I wish those people would just forget about that because thats old news and rejoice because Mewtwo is back along with Lucario (like how it was originally suppose to be in Brawl)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not sucking is still preferable to sucking in 4. No one likes losing with their favorite character simply because that character isn't very good.
Sucking in Melee is absolute misery. When you pick someone like Bowser or Kirby, the game just laughs.
My point is that there's no where to go but up.
I'm actually fairly certain Mewtwo will be pretty good this time, simply because he's DLC and because, of course, he has nowhere to go but up.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Typically what happens with DLC characters in other fighters is they either tend to be fairly weak, or insanely strong due to there not being enough play testing in the span of time it takes to create the character. Prepare either for another D-tier mewtwo or a Mewtwo that makes Diddy players shout BS to the heavens.

Of course I could always be wrong and Bando Namcai actually will be able to deliver a decent post balance job on a single character.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Of course I could always be wrong and Bando Namcai actually will be able to deliver a decent post balance job on a single character.
Let's just remember that they've been working on this DLC for just a single character and it's taken around 4 months so far, and will possibly take even more time.
I wonder how much of this time spent involves them balancing him(or her, if they choose that voice for it).

...Gosh darn it'll be hard to get used to referring to Mewtwo as "it" or "her" all the time if they go with the female voice. I'm just so used to classic Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Let's just remember that they've been working on this DLC for just a single character and it's taken around 4 months so far, and will possibly take even more time.
I wonder how much of this time spent involves them balancing him(or her, if they choose that voice for it).

...Gosh darn it'll be hard to get used to referring to Mewtwo as "it" or "her" all the time if they go with the female voice. I'm just so used to classic Mewtwo.
Doesn't seem to really matter the amount of time, it's more a problem in the diversity/amount/skill level of testers. Games like Blazblue would often have "DLC" characters on the disc that they had obviously worked on several months before the actual release, but the lack of a large enough competent test player base pre-launch always knocks down that idea to the point where wearing a blindfold while throwing a dart at the Atlantic ocean and praying it hits a freakin' rock has a better chance of happening then you guessing where the DLC's tier will be. Kokonoe could literally trash any other character in that game if you so much as face rolled the bloody controller, much less learn what the hell she actually does. It could be garbage, average, or diamond farting Jesus tier because of the lack of play tests in a larger competitive player base before the release.

The only reason I'm giving Bancai Namdo any respect at a good shot is because their track record in recent years is while not perfect but consistent, and that's always a good sign for anything balance-wise provided you don't balance like pre-2002 Capcom.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
This is like the great depression for Mewtwo fans... kinda
It's more like a minor recession. (Not the 2008 economic recession, that one wasn't minor.) There is, after all, a clear end in sight, unlike the Brawl days.

Sucking in Smash 4 isn't as bad as sucking in Melee, though.

Or so I've heard, at least. Truth be told, I've never really played Melee.
Melee is an unbalanced wreck that I can't believe people still play. If your character's not Fox, Fox-except-slightly-weaker (:falcomelee:), or Counterpick-against-Fox (:marthmelee:), then you've already lost. The 20XX joke? That scenario's the truth right now.

In 4, even the single worst character (:4miisword:) has at least a respectable chance.

(Did you know the notoriously awful Default!:4palutena: can be a decent counterpick to :4diddy:? It surprised me, too.)

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll deliver my thoughts on DLC balance by describing the phenomena in other fighting games I've played:

UMVC3:

Shuma-Gorath - average character, never buffed
Jill Valentine - see: Shuma-Gorath

PSASBR:

Kat-effectively Brawl Meta Knight, nerfed eventually
Emmett Graves- Balanced, given a few buffs
Isaac Clarke-projectile based Brawl Meta Knight, heavily nerfed
Zeus-average heavyweight, given a few buffs

Injustice:

Lobo-average, given buffs(iirc)
Batgirl-powerful, given nerfs
Scorpion-great character, given nerfs
Martian Manhunter-amazing, idk, probably nerfed

So with Mewtwo, I expect to see either something balanced or something OP and then nerfed, personally.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'll deliver my thoughts on DLC balance by describing the phenomena in other fighting games I've played:

UMVC3:

Shuma-Gorath - average character, never buffed
Jill Valentine - see: Shuma-Gorath

PSASBR:

Kat-effectively Brawl Meta Knight, nerfed eventually
Emmett Graves- Balanced, given a few buffs
Isaac Clarke-projectile based Brawl Meta Knight, heavily nerfed
Zeus-average heavyweight, given a few buffs

Injustice:

Lobo-average, given buffs(iirc)
Batgirl-powerful, given nerfs
Scorpion-great character, given nerfs
Martian Manhunter-amazing, idk, probably nerfed

So with Mewtwo, I expect to see either something balanced or something OP and then nerfed, personally.

None of those games took 6+ months for *1* character. I expect Mewtwo to be perfectly balanced for whatever Sakurai actually balances characters for which I assume is a mixture of 1v1 and FFA.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'll be honest here: Aside from Smash Bros., I don't play any fighting games. Pokkén Tournament will change that, but until then, I don't know enough about DLC character balance to actually speak on the matter. I don't know enough about character balance in general, for that matter. I simply don't use or play against enough characters to actually gauge how good I think each one is. The one opinion on tiers that I do have is the idea that Dr. Mario belongs in the vicinity of Mario on the tier list, and that they belong in the same letter tier, and I stand very firmly beside that opinion, no matter how controversial or unpopular it is.
Anyway, going off what Liquid12A is saying, I have high hopes for Mewtwo's balance. Personally, I don't want him to be overpowered, because then he's no fun to use, since I'll always win, but I don't want him to be really bad, because then I can't win simply because the character of my choice is inferior, and that's no fun, either. Also, like many others have said, it's taken them 4 months to do a single character, so I'd be very surprised if at least a decent amount of balancing didn't go into his development time, especially considering that they has a prototype model back in November. With, at the very least, the rest of this month to go, I expect Mewtwo to be at least decently balanced, even if he's a little rough around the edges. And if he isn't, then I reckon that's OK, provided they get out some kind of balance patch ASAP, so that I can truly enjoy using him.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
None of those games took 6+ months for *1* character. I expect Mewtwo to be perfectly balanced for whatever Sakurai actually balances characters for which I assume is a mixture of 1v1 and FFA.
And I expect that as well; I'm just delivering an opinion based on the things I've seen.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'll be honest here: Aside from Smash Bros., I don't play any fighting games. Pokkén Tournament will change that, but until then, I don't know enough about DLC character balance to actually speak on the matter. I don't know enough about character balance in general, for that matter. I simply don't use or play against enough characters to actually gauge how good I think each one is. The one opinion on tiers that I do have is the idea that Dr. Mario belongs in the vicinity of Mario on the tier list, and that they belong in the same letter tier, and I stand very firmly beside that opinion, no matter how controversial or unpopular it is.
Anyway, going off what Liquid12A is saying, I have high hopes for Mewtwo's balance. Personally, I don't want him to be overpowered, because then he's no fun to use, since I'll always win, but I don't want him to be really bad, because then I can't win simply because the character of my choice is inferior, and that's no fun, either. Also, like many others have said, it's taken them 4 months to do a single character, so I'd be very surprised if at least a decent amount of balancing didn't go into his development time, especially considering that they has a prototype model back in November. With, at the very least, the rest of this month to go, I expect Mewtwo to be at least decently balanced, even if he's a little rough around the edges. And if he isn't, then I reckon that's OK, provided they get out some kind of balance patch ASAP, so that I can truly enjoy using him.
Same here, I just want him to get the buffs he truly needs the most, and judging by how DLC characters work he'll be around mid-to-high tier at least.

Top Bottom