• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

Must. Contain. E3. Hype.
Sweet! I hope either Ryu or Roy gets revealed, but I don't wanna get my hopes up. I might be out and about when Nintendo first streams the video, anyway, so maybe I won't be too disappointed if neither of them are shown off:p.

It's also nice to finally see Capcom doing something with the Mega Man franchise. It seems like it's been forever since he appeared in something other than a spin-off. I might look into getting Mega Man Legacy Collection, but I'm also really looking forward to Mighty No. 9. It looks like a decent spiritual successor to the Mega Man series, and I'm definitely going to have to pick it up sometime. It just looks so good!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mega Man Legacy? The **** Crapcom? If it's more than 30 currency it's better to buy all 6 Mega Man games in the collection on VC. I expected a new game when they teased this back in December

In other news, beat FE7, after clearing the backlog I'll get Sacred Stoners and save for a PC to run the Japanese FE games. Kickass final boss theme of 7

D

Deleted member

I hope that Mewtwo gets some buffs. Also, I kinda wished that Mewtwo would've been the only DLC character, as having more takes away from Myuutsu, I also don't like how he's optional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I don't see how other DLC characters take away from Mewtwo.
Mewtwo was even said to be testing the water for DLC. Plus he was part of that Wii U + 3DS deal. If anything Mewtwo is the reason we even have more DLC.
More DLC can extend the life of the game as new characters are added and updates are made. Leaving it at just Mewtwo would be rather silly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo was even said to be testing the water for DLC. If anything Mewtwo is the reason we even have more DLC.
That proves my point. Basically, Mewtwo's only purpose is in relation to others, with Mewtwo being a mere culprit in the "grand scheme of things". The fact that Mewtwo isn't important enough to have his own spotlight, but is rather a tool to see how much money Nintendo can get, is really disappointing.
Leaving it at just Mewtwo would be rather silly.
See? You may not realize it, but Nintendo making more DLC besides from Mewtwo has caused you to support their decision, and as a result, calling Mewtwo's inclusion alone "silly". But to go even deeper into the subject, having DLC in general is also a problem. Mewtwo should've been in the game from the beginning, him and the other characters, so we wouldn't have to go through this DLC mess. That stuff should just be for stages and modes (if Mewtwo was in the initial game, that is)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm putting my money on K. Rool or Wolf!
I don't really know about that. I mean, both of those characters are pretty big, but I don't know if they're quite big enough to ignite enough hype. Sure, they'd excite people and spark discussion, but some other character might make people soar with joy. Wolf and K. Rool might just make the game drag on. You'd need somebody else to fill up all that empty space and really start a roaring fire of pure hype. I just wish I knew who could take on such a big role. Maybe it's just TOO BIG...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't really know about that. I mean, both of those characters are pretty big, but I don't know if they're quite big enough to ignite enough hype. Sure, they'd excite people and spark discussion, but some other character might make people soar with joy. Wolf and K. Rool might just make the game drag on. You'd need somebody else to fill up all that empty space and really start a roaring fire of pure hype. I just wish I knew who could take on such a big role. Maybe it's just TOO BIG...
You mean like this guy?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That proves my point. Basically, Mewtwo's only purpose is in relation to others, with Mewtwo being a mere culprit in the "grand scheme of things". The fact that Mewtwo isn't important enough to have his own spotlight, but is rather a tool to see how much money Nintendo can get, is really disappointing.
See? You may not realize it, but Nintendo making more DLC besides from Mewtwo has caused you to support their decision, and as a result, calling Mewtwo's inclusion alone "silly". But to go even deeper into the subject, having DLC in general is also a problem. Mewtwo should've been in the game from the beginning, him and the other characters, so we wouldn't have to go through this DLC mess. That stuff should just be for stages and modes (if Mewtwo was in the initial game, that is)
If anything Mewtwo's the Shepard that's ushering in the DLC. Him being a test for people very much has the spotlight on him. Had Mewtwo not sold he'd be the only DLC character. Mewtwo's the hero that's reignited hope for others.

I didn't call Mewtwo's inclusion silly so much as the prospect of him being the ONLY character DLC silly given that Mewtwo was a huge success. Not capitalising on it would be stupid from a business stand point and a fans stand point.
DLC isn't a problem when it's done right. A character for $4 is perfectly fine given the time put into them.

You also have to consider this. If EVERY DLC character were in from the start the game wouldn't be out right now. We'd have to wait until this November for it instead of last November.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Hey, everyone. So, I'm almost done with my final exams in school. Tomorrow is my last day actually and then I graduate at the end of the week. It is also official that I'm getting a Wii U which should be here in a few days or so and I'm thrilled about that. I plan on getting Smash 4 soon after too. With graduation, a Wii U and E3 on the way, my hype has reached full intensity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait, MORE MS complaints about Mewtwo? First he was terribly nerfed and now he's magically nothing as a DLC character despite being THE most requested character back then ever since he was cut in the first place? Mewtwo's like Fire Emblem Awakening. Had he not sold well, no more Fire Emblem, or in this case, no more DLC characters

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Why'd they cancel Futurama dammit? It was way better than the Simpsons.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Hey, everyone. So, I'm almost done with my final exams in school. Tomorrow is my last day actually and then I graduate at the end of the week. It is also official that I'm getting a Wii U which should be here in a few days or so and I'm thrilled about that. I plan on getting Smash 4 soon after too. With graduation, a Wii U and E3 on the way, my hype has reached full intensity.
Lucky butt. I still don't have a wii u... Not getting one anytime soon either... QQ

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I hope that Mewtwo gets some buffs. Also, I kinda wished that Mewtwo would've been the only DLC character, as having more takes away from Myuutsu, I also don't like how he's optional.
Why does this matter? Why does Mewtwo need to be the one special snowflake in this cast? I'd be more proud to main a character no one else uses then a character everyone else uses.
But to go even deeper into the subject, having DLC in general is also a problem. Mewtwo should've been in the game from the beginning, him and the other characters, so we wouldn't have to go through this DLC mess. That stuff should just be for stages and modes (if Mewtwo was in the initial game, that is)
Now we're delving into messy territory. You know, after Mewtwo was revealed, Sakurai said he feared that people would bring this up.

I'll bet you that they did try to squeeze Mewtwo in the game to begin with, but ran out of time. That's why he was the first DLC chosen, and that's why they gave us a chance to get him free(well, sort of free).

You could argue that they could of just delayed the game to make more time, but in that case, everyone would just be whining that the game got delayed instead. Besides, a game can't just keep being delayed forever. Just ask Half Life 3 or Duke Nukem Forever.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Judging by how Smash character DLC is cheaper than most fighting games and has more to offer (trophies, costumes, classic mode stuff) and how much this would cost, Smash is a game that does DLC right, Nintendo usually does DLC right anyway
It's roughly similar to the price of a DLC character in MK X.
And they get the full character treatment.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Judging by how Smash character DLC is cheaper than most fighting games and has more to offer (trophies, costumes, classic mode stuff) and how much this would cost, Smash is a game that does DLC right, Nintendo usually does DLC right anyway
Yeah, I trust Nintendo. Their DLC stuff is honestly very reasonable compared to other companies. (I hear EA and Capcom handles DLC very poorly)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's roughly similar to the price of a DLC character in MK X.
And they get the full character treatment.
Notice how I said most. Didn't skins cost extra or was that exclusive to certain characters?
Yeah, I trust Nintendo. Their DLC stuff is honestly very reasonable compared to other companies. (I hear EA and Capcom handles DLC very poorly)
EA prioritizes DLC over finishing the actual game. Capcom puts it in the disk and charges money regardless, not to mention they tend to release updated versions with the DLC characters a few months later and pretending the previous version doesn't exist

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Notice how I said most. Didn't skins cost extra or was that exclusive to certain characters?

EA prioritizes DLC over finishing the actual game. Capcom puts it in the disk and charges money regardless, not to mention they tend to release updated versions with the DLC characters a few months later and pretending the previous version doesn't exist
Some skins are free. Some skins are bought in packs and bundled with the DLC characters if you wish.
Can't wait for Predator and I main Jason.

See Star Wars Battlefront EA. Battle of Jakku dlc just after release and it was announced alongside the "in-engine" footage.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I definitely agree that Nintendo tends to do a good job with DLC. I mean, so far, all of Splatoon's DLC has been free. If that's not good DLC, then I don't know what is.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Warning Received
This fanbase is the only one where you will find people that think that more content and options = bad thing. You have no good criteria against why having more characters isn't good. Not wanting more content or more options on the grounds that makes Mewtwo "less unique" is just stupid and asinine. And the talk about being a "culprit in the grand scheme of things" sounds like a tin foil hat conspiracy tale you pulled out of your butt.
Besides, Mewtwo is no less than most characters on the roster because of it and the fact that he was the first DLC character announced puts him in a place of honor.

*sigh*
Another clueless child who talks about a subject he understands little about.

But to go even deeper into the subject, having DLC in general is also a problem
First of all, you are not going deep into the subject. You are merely scratching the surface without knowing what lies underneath.
Secondly, DLC "in general" is not a problem. Inherently, DLC is just a tool that can be utilized or abused. A common example of DLC malpractice is when the publisher or developer cuts content months prior to a game's release so that they can sell it separately or as pre-order bonuses, like what WB games is doing with Mortal Kombat X and Batman Arkham Knight.
On the other hand, good use of DLC can bring about an expansion of an already finished product, providing much more post-game content from what was originally intended.

Mewtwo should've been in the game from the beginning, him and the other characters, so we wouldn't have to go through this DLC mess.
You don't understand what a game undergoes during development, do you? The ideal case scenario is to do that exactly, but the reality is different.
The development cycle of a game can at times be hectic so it doesn't always goes as planned. Regardless of the devs' intentions there is always going to be cut game content or ideas that were left due to time constraints, etc. All the Smash games in the series are the same. In 64, they wanted to have Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo and Peach but it was not possible because of the space limit and because they had a low budget; in Melee, Wolf and Wario were considered while Dedede had a moveset ready in case Inteligent Systems veto'ed Marth; in Brawl, Dr. Mario, Roy, Mewtwo, etc. were intended but not added possibly due to a lack of time, in fact, that game got delayed one time because of Sonic's late addition to the roster; in 4, Sakurai mentioned that there were some characters who didn't make the cut and also said that Bowser Jr. barely made it in.

So as you can see, you can play Captain Hindsight and argue all day that they should have been there since the beginning, but some content doesn't always make it in, and it's not because of the developers' malicious intentions but because making a game is a hefty task. And even so no matter who they add from the beginning, there is always going to be that one character who "should have been" in the game in first place. And remember how they are post-game content? There is a reason why Mewtwo and Lucas had release dates, or do you thought they did because they just liked to make people wait? Those guys weren't ready for the final game so they obviously had to take their time after it's release to make them.

So what is the difference this time around? In previous iterations, if a character got left out of the roster their fate was sealed and we would have had to wait 6-7 years until the next game to have them. This is no longer the case thanks to the possibility of DLC, so veterans and even possible newcomers can make it in rather than waiting years to see them back.

Rather than talking out of ignorance regarding DLC, you should inform yourself (and think) on the subject next time.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Important to realize that in Smash, everyone is on (roughly) equal footing. Doesn't matter if you have the power of
gods (Ganondorf), are a literal god (Palutena), are the most powerful Pokemon (Mewtwo) or a cartoon dog known
most for laughing (Duck Hunt), everyone stands a chance of beating each (gameplay balance issues aside).

Nobody gets special treatment in Smash. Not even Mewtwo. You may get a unique trick or two but nothing
that puts you clearly above the rest.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Finally done with exams and my brain is practically fried right now. Thankfully, my Wii U should be arriving tomorrow hopefully. Can't wait to play Smash 4 on the Wii U.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Power creeping is sort of universal in fighting games. That's the point to make them(sort of) balanced character choice-wise.

It's why:

-Shuma-Gorath doesn't simply destroy the universe by existing in MVC3
-Superman doesn't simply beat everyone to submission in Injustice
-Kratos doesn't rip everyone's head off instantly in PSAS
-Oni doesn't kill everyone in SSF4 on sight

It wouldn't be fun or fair in Smash if Ganondorf retained his invincibility to everything but the Master Sword or if Palutena required you to use Pit in order to beat her. There are supposed to be acceptable breaks from canon.

Top Bottom