• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
How often do you use the jab combo compared to followups?
Depends. Most of the time, I'll follow it up with a D-Smash or an F-Smash, but sometimes I'll do Mewtwo's infinite jab if the opponent is trying to recover or if I think they're in a position where they could hit me out of Jab 1. I do the former because, if I try to follow it up, then my opponent can usually move out of my range and grab the ledge, and I do the latter for obvious reasons.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Maining: Ike, Lil' Mac and Gannondorf
secs in Bower, Mewtwo and Charizard too.

But you're going to have to wait until I've finished the promiscuous adventures of Gearalt (Witcher 3) before you have the chance to utterly destroy me I kick your butts!

D

Deleted member

People need go offstage to pursue opponents more often. I am sick of on-stage edgeguarding, it makes the player seem like they're possessed, since they just stand there... frozen.... waiting... you're next :troll: , and what makes it even worst is that it never works. There has never been a time where anyone (not even pros) have ever successfully hit me when I was trying to recover, unless, of course, they pursue my offstage.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
People need go offstage to pursue opponents more often. I am sick of on-stage edgeguarding, it makes the player seem like they're possessed, since they just stand there... frozen.... waiting... you're next :troll: , and what makes it even worst is that it never works. There has never been a time where anyone (not even pros) have ever successfully hit me when I was trying to recover, unless, of course, they pursue my offstage.
Ness' pk fire would like to object that statement.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
There are multiple moves that hit below the ledge such as smashes and some tilts.
Examples:
Sonic's forward smash angled downward (can result in a kill at higher percents. 90 and above)
Fox's up tilt (can follow up to bair which either results in another edge guard situation or a kill)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I think part of the reason is because lots of characters' recoveries can be difficult to challenge, with Mewtwo's being one of the best in the game. Teleport is sudden, moves Mewtwo very quickly, ledge-snaps, and Mewtwo is completely invulnerable during the actual teleportation. Plus, Mewtwo has high airspeed and a healthy set of aerials that, when combined with his cancellable midair jump, allow him to challenge most opponents in midair. And, on top of all that, Teleport is almost always a completely optional move, since Mewtwo's insane midair jump allows him to recover from almost anywhere onscreen, and, if that doesn't work, then he also has his wall jump and Confusion to fall back on. Essentially, Mewtwo never has to enter his helpless state unless he wants to, and he has a nigh-ungimpable, highly varied recovery with impressive midair options to boot. Oh, and Mewtwo's ledge-game is pretty nice, too, since he can use Confusion and Disable when he's coming back onstage.

Basically, I think that most opponents think that attempting offstage edge-guarding against Mewtwo will put them at greater disadvantage than if they stick to onstage edge-guarding. Yeah, it might not always work, but at least they're not putting themselves at a disadvantage. That's my best guess, at any rate.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I think part of the reason is because lots of characters' recoveries can be difficult to challenge, with Mewtwo's being one of the best in the game. Teleport is sudden, moves Mewtwo very quickly, ledge-snaps, and Mewtwo is completely invulnerable during the actual teleportation. Plus, Mewtwo has high airspeed and a healthy set of aerials that, when combined with his cancellable midair jump, allow him to challenge most opponents in midair. And, on top of all that, Teleport is almost always a completely optional move, since Mewtwo's insane midair jump allows him to recover from almost anywhere onscreen, and, if that doesn't work, then he also has his wall jump and Confusion to fall back on. Essentially, Mewtwo never has to enter his helpless state unless he wants to, and he has a nigh-ungimpable, highly varied recovery with impressive midair options to boot. Oh, and Mewtwo's ledge-game is pretty nice, too, since he can use Confusion and Disable when he's coming back onstage.

Basically, I think that most opponents think that attempting offstage edge-guarding against Mewtwo will put them at greater disadvantage than if they stick to onstage edge-guarding. Yeah, it might not always work, but at least they're not putting themselves a disadvantage. That's my best guess, at any rate.
Pretty much this. Mewtwo's recovery is way too good to allow for offstage edgeguards.

Mewtwo's landing options are pretty bad (he's floaty as heck too), so I honestly think it's better for peeps to just edgeguard onstage. I find it incredibly difficult to make it back to the stage as Mewtwo when the opponent stays on the ground. Once I'm back on stage, the opponent just throws me off again. It's infuriating.

D

Deleted member

The thing is I have pursued Mewtwos offstage and beaten them, even with teleport.

Think about it like this: Would you rather take a huge risk for a huge reward, or sit onstage and get hit by an Uair?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Pretty much this. Mewtwo's recovery is way too good to allow for offstage edgeguards.

Mewtwo's landing options are pretty bad (he's floaty as heck too), so I honestly think it's better for peeps to just edgeguard onstage. I find it incredibly difficult to make it back to the stage as Mewtwo when the opponent stays on the ground. Once I'm back on stage, the opponent just throws me off again. It's infuriating.
I have this same problem, too. Basically, in order to try and work around it, I attempt to bait the opponent into putting themselves in a position where I can actually get back onstage. What I usually do is I approach the stage from above at a shallow angle, and when the opponent goes for a dash attack, U-Smash, grab, or the like, I immediately Teleport through them. That way, the opponent is at the edge of the stage, attacking nothingness, and I'm halfway across from it, landing. It usually works pretty well until the opponent catches on. At that point, I usually start aiming for the ledge and try Disable and Confusion shenanigans until I manage to pull myself back onstage. It's not always the most effective method, but it gets the job done most of the time, so I'll take that over getting immediately tossed back offstage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We talking edge guarding? Mewtwo's surprisingly good at coming back on stage for multiple reasons: Huge jump meaning he doesn't need to stay under the ledge but can choose where he goes, Teleport having good range and Bair being a good punishment for edgeguards, you face the opposite direction of the ledge with Confusion if needed, jump up and use Bair, I've had times where I smack people trying to keep me away into the stage making me stagespike em

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The thing is I have pursued Mewtwos offstage and beaten them, even with teleport.

Think about it like this: Would you rather take a huge risk for a huge reward, or sit onstage and get hit by an Uair?
I would rather sit onstage and wait for you to land so that the game resets to neutral and neither of us has the upper hand. That way, I don't get U-Air'd, D-Air'd, N-Air'd, F-Air'd, or B-Air'd offstage, where my chances of dying are much greater.

EDIT: Also, I can play a few matches, if you'd like.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Not to mention some characters edge guard better than others not to mention most characters are edge guarded differently, you wouldn't edge guard a Villager the same way you'd edgeguard Little Mac, right?
Remember: The most effective method of edge-guarding against Little Mac is to not edge-guard at all.

D

Deleted member

I would rather sit onstage and wait for you to land so that the game resets to neutral and neither of us has the upper hand. That way, I don't get U-Air'd, D-Air'd, N-Air'd, F-Air'd, or B-Air'd offstage, where my chances of dying are much greater.

Edit: Also, I can play a few matches, if you'd like.
I'll host

Personally, I like to go as far offstage as possible to assure my victory, even if I die in the process of killing you.
Also, even if you don't actually hit the opponent from offstage, you can recover with them and either attack them as you are both recovering (since they won't see it coming), or you'll have the advantage of being able to land exactly where they would've landed to actually improve your onstage punishes.

Maybe it's just me, but even the best of edgegaurders (like the ones who are always moving as opposed to being static) can't hit me.

Edit:
this is a prime example on how you can edgeguard on stage using pk fire (for the most part)
Yeah, but he went offstage, proving my point. offstage edgeguarding will reign supreme!

I was watching that video, and I felt a form of happiness from it. It was like looking myself in a mirror. Bravo, Yellow Ness!

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'll host

Personally, I like to go as far offstage as possible to assure my victory, even if I die in the process of killing you.
Also, even if you don't actually hit the opponent from offstage, you can recover with them and either attack them as you are both recovering (since they won't see it coming), or you'll have the advantage of being able to land exactly where they would've landed to actually improve your onstage punishes.

Maybe it's just me, but even the best of edgegaurders (like the ones who are always moving as opposed to being static) can't hit me.

Edit:
Yeah, but he went offstage, proving my point. offstage edgeguarding will reign supreme!

I was watching that video, and I felt a form of happiness from it. It was like looking myself in a mirror. Bravo, Yellow Ness!
i meant the part where he jumped but did not go off the edge. which was one time...
well then.. ****.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
this is a prime example on how you can edgeguard on stage using pk fire (for the most part)
The offstage PK Thunder shenanigans is insane... holy. As for me, I can't even make it back to the stage with PK Thunder even when nobody is edgeguarding me. I suck with that character. `~`

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
The offstage PK Thunder shenanigans is insane... holy. As for me, I can't even make it back to the stage with PK Thunder even when nobody is edgeguarding me. I suck with that character. `~`
my tip for that problem is practice all basic angles.
remember which pointing edges on the control stick (gamecube controller) lead to where.

for instance, i practiced so well i can make my self go complete upwards and down wards in very little time.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
After hitting the 'See ignored content' I have to adress something. You're saying you're not easily edge guarded. Where do you have your matches? Unless it's professional high level tournaments, which it clearly isn't judging from your hyper offensive mindset, I have high doubts considering you're professionalism. Matches with people who aren't uber competitive? For Glory? Bad examples

D

Deleted member

After hitting the 'See ignored content' I have to adress something. You're saying you're not easily edge guarded. Where do you have your matches? Unless it's professional high level tournaments, which it clearly isn't judging from your hyper offensive mindset, I have high doubts considering you're professionalism. Matches with people who aren't uber competitive? For Glory? Bad examples
I was talking about real players. Why do people keep thinking that I'm talking about FG? I'm not a noob.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
I was talking about real players. Why do people keep thinking that I'm talking about FG? I'm not a noob.
Clarification at the start tends to help avoid misunderstandings.

(Haven't forgotten the match yet. I think I'll end up PM'ing whenever conditions are right (both awake, internet is guarenteed to not derp, you don't mind playing 3DS, etc etc. Otherwise about the latter, it would have to wait until I shell out ~$300 for the stuff I need.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because you aren't provided examples. When you say 'real players' you also fail to mention if they are good or not, you're saying that the best edge guarders have difficulty with you, yet it's highly possible you just don't know any good edge guarders.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Why does Smashboards use:4mewtwo: rather than
for Mewtwo's flair? The latter is Mewtwo's official stock icon right? I know that the flair was made before discovering his official one, but why haven't they changed it yet? It's not really that big of a deal but I'm just curious. I do prefer his official one though.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Why does Smashboards use:4mewtwo: rather than
for Mewtwo's flair? The latter is Mewtwo's official stock icon right? I know that the flair was made before discovering his official one, but why haven't they changed it yet? It's not really that big of a deal but I'm just curious. I do prefer his official one though.
Personally I prefer the former, but this has been brought up in the Staff boards in the past. Warchamp is probably just lazy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I went out of town with my family today, found one of those gold plated Mewtwo cards at a thrift store, sitting among the jewelry for 5$. Couldn't resist.

The pokeball case has taken a little abuse, but the certificate of authenticy and the card itself are still in pretty good conditions(ableit the card has aged a little bit).

Thing is, I didn't even know these existed until today. I didn't know how rare it'd be, so I checked as soon as I got home. Turns out they aren't ridiculously rare, but I still got it for cheaper then I would of gotten it online, so that's still a plus. I think I'm going to keep this thing with my amiibo collection.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I went out of town with my family today, found one of those gold plated Mewtwo cards at a thrift store, sitting among the jewelry for 5$. Couldn't resist.

The pokeball case has taken a little abuse, but the certificate of authenticy and the card itself are still in pretty good conditions(ableit the card has aged a little bit).

Thing is, I didn't even know these existed until today. I didn't know how rare it'd be, so I checked as soon as I got home. Turns out they aren't ridiculously rare, but I still got it for cheaper then I would of gotten it online, so that's still a plus. I think I'm going to keep this thing with my amiibo collection.
who needs that when you have

(I do have one but in pretty bad condition, bite marks on the corners)

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910

Ahhh... I remember the PokeBall case and the gold cards. My cousins gave them to me when I was like 5. I still have the Togepi and Pikachu one!

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I still have mine in decent condition. I also still have all 4 of my movie promo Mewtwos. It was such a pain to gather all 4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I still have two BK Gold Cards, Pikachu and Charizard. My little brother almost threw his away but I saved it as he "cleaned his room."

I have a Base Set 2 Charizard in good condition if that matters at all (probably doesn't). Actually got it as a part of the first booster pack I ever bought. Sad thing is, I would have had some Base 1 cards, but for Christmas my Mom instead bought me Movie 1 cards.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I was around 2 when those Burger King cards came out, and my parents hadn't ever really cared about Pokemon.
I feel kind of silly for getting so excited about that thing, but it's still kind of cool to have. At least I didn't spend some ridiculous price on it.

Top Bottom