• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
He means that IsmaR is really good and could most likely smash you up.

While I haven't played her myself, I know from close friends who have fought IsmaR(with footage to boot) that she's not to be taken lightly. Especially her Mewtwo.
I thought she mained Samus...? Or are we talking about different people here?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yeah, and I main Lucina. Doesn't stop me from extensively playing 4 other characters, you know.

And we are still talking about IsmaR. Apart from Samus, yes, she also uses Mewtwo. And it's a scary one to boot.
Hm, this can only mean she's a big target on my list. I'll let you all know the outcome of our matches once we get around to playing. I've only met one formidable Mewtwo in my Smash history so far.. @Demon-oni , I'd love to meet another.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Gee I wonder why Ridley fans play victim? Maybe it's because of the abuse they get from the likes of you?
They applied common sense. Maybe he was a stage hazard. So what? They'd accept it if he wasn't as awful and inaccurate as he currently is. All it did was confirm Ridley did indeed have a presence in SSB4 somehow whether it be a stage hazard (that fans would be happy with if it was done correctly. Funnily enough the obscure Metal Face was the only one done correctly) an assist trophy or a playable character.
I'm sorry but downright ineptness in the communication with fans is unforgivable for any developer.
As I mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with Ridley in Smash 4 as there exists multiple examples out of universe like I mentioned previously. But people who still want to nay-say his appearance want to pretend that they've been wronged, spat in the face, violated, slapped, [insert hyperbole to make situation sound as bad as possible]; ergo victimizing themselves; which is pretty damn despicable by itself. I'm not intending to abuse anyone but I can't stand the act of downplaying the good and exaggerating the bad for the sake of going on a martyr crusade of slander and self pity.
I agree that there was ineptness in the communication though. On the opposite end of course.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I thought she mained Samus...? Or are we talking about different people here?
Well it is hard to main a character that isn't available yet.
Gee I wonder why Ridley fans play victim? Maybe it's because of the abuse they get from the likes of you?
They applied common sense. Maybe he was a stage hazard. So what? They'd accept it if he wasn't as awful and inaccurate as he currently is. All it did was confirm Ridley did indeed have a presence in SSB4 somehow whether it be a stage hazard (that fans would be happy with if it was done correctly. Funnily enough the obscure Metal Face was the only one done correctly) an assist trophy or a playable character.
I'm sorry but downright ineptness in the communication with fans is unforgivable for any developer.
Yellow Devil is spot-on, but that's because he only really has two very simple actions. It's the frequency of his arrivals that gets people. Metal Face is a bit lame outside of his quips, but I guess it's hard to make out attack details in Xenoblade outside of party members.

No matter how much you may hate how Ridley turned out, you can't deny that he is most developed boss in the
game with a plethora of attacks, a super mode and unique rewards for beating him. All bosses can be beaten pretty
easily normally, but are the other players really going to let you just do that?

Misinformation or not, fans would still rage if they learned with certainty that Ridley wouldn't playable at that Direct,
and it wouldn't diminish the rage you feel now. They can't make Ridley as a hazard too awesome otherwise his
stage would be near unplayable.

Guilt tripping is not going to change Ridley's station.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey I got one.

It's ****ing lame that Ridley is not a playable character; instead, we got this big purple gimmick roving around another Metroid lava stage.

No guilt-tripping involved. Just a direct statement/opinion.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Well it is hard to main a character that isn't available yet.

Yellow Devil is spot-on, but that's because he only really has two very simple actions. It's the frequency of his arrivals that gets people. Metal Face is a bit lame outside of his quips, but I guess it's hard to make out attack details in Xenoblade outside of party members.

No matter how much you may hate how Ridley turned out, you can't deny that he is most developed boss in the
game with a plethora of attacks, a super mode and unique rewards for beating him. All bosses can be beaten pretty
easily normally, but are the other players really going to let you just do that?

Misinformation or not, fans would still rage if they learned with certainty that Ridley wouldn't playable at that Direct,
and it wouldn't diminish the rage you feel now. They can't make Ridley as a hazard too awesome otherwise his
stage would be near unplayable.

Guilt tripping is not going to change Ridley's station.
Except Pyrosphere is already unplayable and being revealed earlier would have led to less rage because it wouldn't have been teased and drawn out which is where half the rage comes from.
Half of Ridley's development comes from Sakurai's failed attempts at making him playable. He has a final smash, Smash attacks, ledge grab and special attacks. They just gave him a super mushroom to make him bigger (which isn't even his trait) and left it at that instead of polishing the shoddy textures.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Is that true, Regi? Have people already cracked the game open?

Smooth Criminal
I'm merely stating a highly plausible theory. The aura he has around him is like that of when a fighter gets a Smash Ball but instead of a Smash Ball he gets it from the energy tanks on the stages sides.
He grabs on to the edge. A trait only other fighters share.
Then there's the Super Mushroom pics. Giant Ganondorf is as big as if not bigger than Stage Hazard Ridley. The textures on Ridley look simply awful like there was no effort to polish them. Textures degrade in quality as shapes are enlarged.
Of course it could be a compromise between playable and NPC but that still doesn't forgive the awful textures.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey I got one.

It's ****ing lame that Ridley is not a playable character; instead, we got this big purple gimmick roving around another Metroid lava stage.

No guilt-tripping involved. Just a direct statement/opinion.

Smooth Criminal
Well the lava isn't a hazard in that stage unlike all the others so har.

You have every right to be disappointed that he's not playable or dislike the way he turned out. But saying he
was treated badly is very much guilt tripping.

Would you have preferred that Ridley make no appearance whatsoever outside of a trophy in order to preserve his good name?

Except Pyrosphere is already unplayable and being revealed earlier would have led to less rage because it wouldn't have been teased and drawn out which is where half the rage comes from.
Half of Ridley's development comes from Sakurai's failed attempts at making him playable. He has a final smash, Smash attacks, ledge grab and special attacks. They just gave him a super mushroom to make him bigger (which isn't even his trait) and left it at that instead of polishing the shoddy textures.
Source? And how do all the other things in Pyrosphere make it unplayable? (Not talking competitively, of course).
Zeroes don't do anything and can hardly be used as items, Joulions can be dangerous but are gone quickly, and FG-Grahams
don't shoot unless they're hit. Hardly the most intrusive obstacles out there.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

You have every right to be disappointed that he's not playable or dislike the way he turned out. But saying he

Would you have preferred that Ridley make no appearance whatsoever outside of a trophy in order to preserve his good name?
In some ways? Yes, I would have rather him been a trophy.

Look man, I kinda disagree with the whole "guilt-tripping" schtick ya'll are on. We're expressing opinions here and questioning creative liberties. It's not the man's integrity that's in question, but the implementation of his ideas.

So stop making **** sacrosanct. Sakurai and his team aren't a buncha deities, they're human beings. They're open to criticism like anybody else.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Source? And how do all the other things in Pyrosphere make it unplayable? (Not talking competitively, of course).
Zeroes don't do anything and can hardly be used as items, Joulions can be dangerous but are gone quickly, and FG-Grahams
don't shoot unless they're hit. Hardly the most intrusive obstacles out there.
Look above. It's a theory that seems likely.
They get in the way and other fighters typically go for them making it unplayable. Even more so when Ridley shows up because it becomes a case of "He's my Slave!" "No mine!" and then avoiding his attacks because it's suddenly 2 v 1 which heavily tips the match to the point of being unfair. Then there's having items on.

And yes being a trophy would have sufficed if it meant he actually appeared in the 3ds version.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They get in the way and other fighters typically go for them making it unplayable. Even more so when Ridley shows up because it becomes a case of "He's my Slave!" "No mine!" and then avoiding his attacks because it's suddenly 2 v 1 which heavily tips the match to the point of being unfair. Then there's having items on.

And yes being a trophy would have sufficed if it meant he actually appeared in the 3ds version.
Have you tried... oh, I don't know... attacking people who are busy dealing with or using the hazards?
Just because they do it doesn't mean you have to in order to win, and they're easy to ignore for the most part if you want to.

Also if you're playing with these kinds of hazards in the first place you shouldn't be taking the battle so seriously. There's
a reason they only show up in For Fun online.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
In every classic run I always go for the battles that Mewtwo is participating in so I can prove myself to her and gain her alliance in any future team battles that may occur in the run...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Have you tried... oh, I don't know... attacking people who are busy dealing with or using the hazards?
Just because they do it doesn't mean you have to in order to win, and they're easy to ignore for the most part if you want to.

Also if you're playing with these kinds of hazards in the first place you shouldn't be taking the battle so seriously. There's
a reason they only show up in For Fun online.
Oh I do but they're constantly running about after Ridley while I'm trying to get them.
How does one ignore the whopping great big space dragon flying about the stage shooting fireballs, stomping, charging and shooting fireballs constantly? It tips the match way too much.
I'm all for gimmicks but I draw the line at the point where they don't go to stupid levels of intrusion like Ridley does whether I'm playing to have fun or not.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh I do but they're constantly running about after Ridley while I'm trying to get them.
How does one ignore the whopping great big space dragon flying about the stage shooting fireballs, stomping, charging and shooting fireballs constantly? It tips the match way too much.
I'm all for gimmicks but I draw the line at the point where they don't go to stupid levels of intrusion like Ridley does whether I'm playing to have fun or not.
I thought this Ridley was a lumbering, pathetic excuse of what Ridley normally is? (Joining aside).
So now Ridley is too good as a stage hazard? And doesn't beating on a Smash Ball basically amount to the same thing
in terms of drawing attention?

Or how about getting those Assist Trophies and Pokeballs?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

It seems more like a baseless assumption.

And I always thought is kind of insane and extreme that some would have preferred no Ridley at all to avoid "offending" him. The guy is sacred after all.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I thought this Ridley was a lumbering, pathetic excuse of what Ridley normally is? (Joining aside).
So now Ridley is too good as a stage hazard? And doesn't beating on a Smash Ball basically amount to the same thing
in terms of drawing attention?

Or how about getting those Assist Trophies and Pokeballs?
Yes he's a lumbering pathetic excuse but it doesn't change the fact that when he hits it deals either:
A: Loads of damage
or
B: Loads of Knockback
or
C: Both.
In other words you're fighting the stage and the opponent at the same time which is bad design.

You're comparing Stage hazards to items too?
Get out.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
(IMO) I would have preferred Ridley to not be in the game. It's a different story if he were a assist trophy or playable character, but he's just a stage hazard. I would have loved to play on Pyrosphere, but Ridley as an hazard ruins it for me. Personal opinion... legal Pyrosphere would have been slick. =\

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think Sakurai made a fair compromise with Ridley. Granted I'd prefer a legal Pyrosphere even more. Regardless, I've been turned off by the thought of Ridley being playable due to his fanbase, his hatebase, and being a mod in the middle of it all.

IMO I would have preferred Ridley to not be in the game. It's a different story if he were an assist trophy or playable character, but he's just an stage hazard. I would have loved to play on Pyrosphere, but Ridley as an hazard ruins it for me. Personal opinion... legal Pyrosphere would have been slick. =\
Flying Men, Ridley, Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, all pretty much ruined perfectly viable stages.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I think Sakurai made a fair compromise with Ridley. Granted I'd prefer a legal Pyrosphere even more. Regardless, I've been turned off by the thought of Ridley being playable due to his fanbase, his hatebase, and being a mod in the middle of it all.

Flying Men, Ridley, Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, all pretty much ruined perfectly viable stages.
All I hope for is that when Sakurai said he'd introduce new modes as DLC, hazard-free stages would be a mode

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
All I hope for is that when Sakurai said he'd introduce new modes as DLC, hazard-free stages would be a mode
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...dlc-patching-why-villagertrainer-are-in-more/

Sakurai on the level of customization in the game…

You can still manage the appearance of items, but you cannot disable the damage caused by the stages. If we propose such an option, it might as well be PlayStation All-Stars!
Granted I think it has a small chance with how often he goes against his word, but still.

Though I can certainly tell you that in PSASBR, this made a lot of stages legal for tournament play as opposed to it's Discount Final Destination stages.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Active hazards tend to jeopardize any stage competitively unless a) they're extremely slow and predictable
(Halberd) or b) the hazard is incredibly benign (N64 Dream Land). Tournament legal stages with hazards are the exception,
not the norm. So when judging hazards it's more important to see if they make even casual play a chore to see if they're
bad. Remember: Smash is casual first, competitive second.

Flying Men are quite bad. At least Ridley needs to take considerable abuse before joining a player, and even then
he doesn't persistently follow that player like an obedient puppy to make attacking him near impossible, he just continues
doing what he was doing before without harming that player.

Yellow Devil isn't that bad by himself, but unfortunately he shows up too frequently.

Dark Lord doesn't really do much aside from causing random buffs and debuffs, and obstructing players with his
body.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...dlc-patching-why-villagertrainer-are-in-more/

Granted I think it has a small chance with how often he goes against his word, but still.

Though I can certainly tell you that in PSASBR, this made a lot of stages legal for tournament play as opposed to it's Discount Final Destination stages.
Well, remember when he said Melee was his last Smash game? Or Brawl was his last Smash game? Or when he said the current roster was all there is?

Sakurai is known to change his mind pretty damn often, let's hope this will be one of those instances

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
What with the whole Ridley debate raging on in here, I figure I might as well throw my hat into the ring, too.

Personally, I'm fine with Ridley's portrayal in Smash 4. Yeah, he's a Stage Boss, but he's by far the most creative one. Ridley has the most attacks out of all the Stage Bosses, to the point that he even has a Final Smash-esque transformation, and he's also the most mobile. Honestly, Ridley feels like the closest thing to an actual Boss out of all the Stage Bosses in the game. Plus, he has the unique gimmick of joining whichever player attacks him the most. Personally, I don't see that as him being a "lapdog." I simply see it as a fitting gimmick within the context as Smash 4. This is a Fighting-game, so, attacking opponents is the goal of the game. Therefore, attacking Ridley in order to make him join you is the most logical way to get him to choose sides. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to implement Ridley's turncoat gimmick myself, so I don't blame Sakurai at all. Instead of viewing it as a demeaning way to implement Ridley, I view his gimmick as the most logical way to implement a unique feature within Smash 4's context. Simple as that. Also, having Ridley fight on your side is loads of fun in casual matches. Nothing like having the Big Bad fight on your side.

Additionally, I feel like Sakurai went out of his way to make Ridley the most unique Stage Boss in the game. Ridley, out of all of Smash 4's NPCs, comes the closest to feeling like an actual playable character, down to the point that he chooses to fight alongside the player, provided they attack him enough. If you ask me, Ridley's unique gimmick and distinguishing features came out of a desire to make him the most appealing Stage Boss. At the very least, it's obvious that Ridley had the most work put into him out of the Stage Bosses. Unfortunately, that seems to have backfired due to people misinterpreting Sakurai's intentions. I believe that Sakurai, after deciding that he couldn't be a playable character, tried to do what he though was the next best thing for Ridley. However, it clearly didn't work out. At least, that's what I think.

Oh, and as a quick side note, I don't see the problem with Ridley being slow or whatever. He's plenty powerful, and I think his attack and movement speed is perfectly fine. Yes, he's faster in his own games, but this isn't Metroid. This is Smash. You have to be able focus on the opponent and Ridley at the same time, so if Ridley moved at his canon speed, he would be even more broken as a Stage Boss than he already is. Once again, Ridley's speed makes sense within Smash 4's context, so I'm fine with it. It's all in the context of the game.

Now, as for Ridley being a playable character, let me say that I'm all for it. I would absolutely love to see Ridley as a playable character. However, I don't know if taking Ridley, sizing him down, and then simply minimizing his wings' size is the right way to go. I've seen the sprites of Ridley where his wings are disproportional to the rest of his body, and I personally don't think that they look natural. Ridley's wings look just a little too small and flimsy to support his body in those games, and I think it's fairly obvious that the only reason they're that small is technical limitations. They needed a way to fit Ridley in the game's screen without zooming out too far, so they made his wings disproportionately small in order to do so. Now, that's not saying that that was a bad thing to do, but it does look a little unnatural, especially when it's compared to his modern appearances, where his wings are proportional to his body.

Which beings me to my next point. If Ridley's size, or, more specifically, his wings' size, is what's preventing him from being a playable character, then I propose that he should appear similar to this.
Credit to SchAlternate for the drawing.
As you can probably tell, this Ridley's original NES sprite, but remade to include several of his modern trademark features. In Ridley's first appearance, he was only slightly taller than Samus, so it automatically makes his size more manageable. In addition, while his wings were quite small in that game, they could easily be made bigger in order to accommodate his size. Theoretically, they would be proportionately similar to Pit's wings, which is relatively small, considering my propose idea for Ridley's size in Smash 4. Ridley's complete hitbox likely be around Bowser's in terms of size, wings included, give or take a few units. Even if Ridley's wings were a little deemed too large in this proposed appearance, they could still be slightly scaled down while also maintaining believable proportions, and Ridley's wings would simply slightly increase in size whenever he used them. Many characters make use of similar features, anyway. In this incarnation, both Ridley's body's size and his wings' size are manageable. Plus, you're getting the best of both worlds: a manageable, realistic, and canon size for Ridley and several of his distinguishing modern features. Finally, in order to incorporate Ridley's massive, current incarnation, his Final Smash could be "Super Ridley," or something similar, where he temporarily transforms into his normal size and appearance, as well as gaining all of the power that should rightfully come with it. It would be kinda like Giga Bowser.

However, this all just my idea for how Ridley could appear in Smash, and I definitely understand if anyone opposes it. It's a little quirky and out there, but I still like it.

Well, that was a big hat that I threw into a ring that's probably too small, but I'm glad I got all that out. Feels good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

New down-throw mindgames (found by me):

Down-throw -> Disable (if they airdodge) (Calling this the Command Sequence)
Down-throw -> Down-throw (if they airdodge) (Calling this the MS-Sequence)

I have used these several times in real matches, and it works very often, and usually wins me the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
(IMO) I would have preferred Ridley to not be in the game. It's a different story if he were a assist trophy or playable character, but he's just a stage hazard. I would have loved to play on Pyrosphere, but Ridley as an hazard ruins it for me. Personal opinion... legal Pyrosphere would have been slick. =\
I would have loved to play on pyrosphere except.. wait no, other m existing ruined it for me. I do hate ridley's appearance here though. In brawl he was atleast a cool boss fight but in this game he's a ugly lumbering punching bag. would have honestly prefered Ridley as just a trophy and zebes being on both versions of smash 4.

Also hello everyone, it's been a while since i have appeared out of nowhere before you and given you a heart attack hasn't it? Haven't been playing as much smash lately and even less so with Mewtwo.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd hate to say it, you're being the aggressive one here. Where in that post did Ryu Myuutsu say "Ridley is too ___ing big to be in Smash"? No where, so there's no reason to be "playing the victim" this time.

Believe it or not, I'm actually a silent Ridley supporter myself. I like the idea of Ridley being playable. I'm all for it. But I'm still pretty sure Sakurai never tried to imply in any way that Ridley would be playable; he showed a picture of the stage and said "an enemy from Samus's past could appear at any moment". That basically describes stage hazards far better then it describes playable characters. They appear on specific stages, and can appear at any moment.

It wasn't a malicious, intentional attempt to raise Ridley supporters hopes for no good reason other then to crush them months later. He was simply teasing an element of a stage, and people unfortunately took it as a hint a character would be playable.
If Ridley became playable, everyone on both sides would finally shut up.
Well, for the most part, at least. But the hate base would slowly die out after a while.

Think of Duck Hunt. Back when that leak came out, I saw tons of people furious at the idea of the Duck Hunt Dog being playable. But when the game came out, I saw a surprising amount of people claiming to have changed their minds after seeing him in action.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This entire debate makes me sad.

Let's lighten the mood with something funny; like a cat rushing into a landmine.

KYbZBn.gif

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Dark Lord doesn't really do much aside from causing random buffs and debuffs, and obstructing players with his
body.
Having done serious matches/testing on the stage, making entire sections of the stage randomly sink is kind of a big obstruction.

Top Bottom