• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Chances are it might have been one of my brothers then if they had the same NNID.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
I was always more of a Dhalsim person than Ryu but hey it's kinda the novelty of playing a fighting game icon in Smash that counts.

Edit: Oh hey that is a pretty color for my name.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I was always more of a Dhalsim person than Ryu but hey it's kinda the novelty of playing a fighting game icon in Smash that counts.

Edit: Oh hey that is a pretty color for my name.
Yes it's absolutely Fabulous

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
did anyone hear about Shantae being promoted the crap out of
Yeah. However, I don't think that tweet confirmed Shantae by any means. It was probably just the creator showing his optimism and faith in Shantae's fanbase to vote her into the game. There was also probably a fair bit of playfulness mixed in, as well. In any case, though, I'm rather indifferent towards Shantae. I've yet to play any of her games, and I know next to nothing about her, so I couldn't care less about her inclusion. That said, I'm not against her either. I suppose she could be an interesting character, but I don't know enough about her to really speak on the subject. I'm basically apathetic towards Shantae getting into Smash 4.

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Yeah. However, I don't think that tweet confirmed Shantae by any means. It was probably just the creator showing his optimism and faith in Shantae's fanbase to vote her into the game. There was also probably a fair bit of playfulness mixed in, as well. In any case, though, I'm rather indifferent towards Shantae. I've yet to play any of her games, and I know next to nothing about her, so I couldn't care less about her inclusion. That said, I'm not against her either. I suppose she could be an interesting character, but I don't know enough about her to really speak on the subject. I'm basically apathetic towards Shantae getting into Smash 4.
She would be a pretty obscure character, admittedly.

Her first release was on Gameboy Color, towards the end of it's life cycle, but she's been doing well enough nowadays to get more titles!
Her games are an action platformer of sorts, and she can transform (full list of forms here)

While she is somewhat obscure, she's had more games than Pit has had, and it never hurts having more characters, especially since it would be interesting to see how the forms would be worked into her moves!
(Hair Whip is pretty much a guaranteed one, imo.)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Someone disagrees
When did Sakurai do anything to imply Ridley might be playable? Is this about the Smash Direct? Because he was very clearly implied to be a stage boss there, and people just intentionally took it the wrong way and set themselves up for dissapointment.
Now, my beef with Roy is that why would we get yet another clone of Marth when we already have Lucina? I guess I could understand if they Luigified him. I mean, a Luigification named Lucas is coming next month after all.
Of course he's going to be Luigified to some degree. Unless he'sa a free add on, they'll put work into him. I mean, he's DLC. They have time. Besides, they almost got him into Brawl, from the looks of it; I'll be they already had a semi-clone moveset figured out for him anyway.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I have actually never heard of Shantae until after the Smash Ballot was confirmed. She seems cool I suppose. Her chances seem rather low to me, but who knows? Sakurai can make it happen. Duck Hunt, G&W, Wii Fit Trainer, etc is proof.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
She would be a pretty obscure character, admittedly.

Her first release was on Gameboy Color, towards the end of it's life cycle, but she's been doing well enough nowadays to get more titles!
Her games are an action platformer of sorts, and she can transform (full list of forms here)

While she is somewhat obscure, she's had more games than Pit has had, and it never hurts having more characters, especially since it would be interesting to see how the forms would be worked into her moves!
(Hair Whip is pretty much a guaranteed one, imo.)
Oh, and the dancing. Belly Dancing is awesome.

You know, because it's hip

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I have actually never heard of Shantae until after the Smash Ballot was confirmed. She seems cool I suppose. Her chances seem rather low to me, but who knows? Sakurai can make it happen. Duck Hunt, G&W, Wii Fit Trainer, etc is proof.
While this is true, let's also keep in mind that all of those characters have had a significant impact on Nintendo's history, or even on the video game industry as a whole. Duck Hunt is one of the most successful NES games of all time, and the NES, in turn, is one of the most well-known video game consoles ever. Mr. Game & Watch is a conglomerate of several characters from the Game & Watch line of handhelds, which was one of Nintendo's earliest product to garner major success. Wii Fit Trainer is the star of the Wii Fit series, which is incredibly popular in its own right and has sold millions of copies worldwide. For these characters, popularity wasn't an issue, but moveset potential was.

Shantae, from what I understand, is precisely the inverse. She has lots of moveset potential, but her low popularity severely hampers her chances. Plus, she's a 3rd party character, and an indie character, at that. That all adds up to a licensing hell with an unpredictable reception. Nintendo could go to all that trouble and see fantastic results, but, at the same time, they could go to the same amount of trouble and be met with upset fans and players. The way I see it, Shantae is a pretty iffy choice from a business perspective. However, I've yet to play any of her games, so I may be wrong on some of this.

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Shantae, from what I understand, is precisely the inverse. She has lots of moveset potential, but her low popularity severely hampers her chances. Plus, she's a 3rd party character, and an indie character, at that. That all adds up to a licensing hell with an unpredictable reception. Nintendo could go to all that trouble and see fantastic results, but, at the same time, they could go to the same amount of trouble and be met with upset fans and players. The way I see it, Shantae is a pretty iffy choice from a business perspective. However, I've yet to play any of her games, so I may be wrong on some of this.
Third-Party, yes, indie, nooot so much
Funny thing is, according to the Wikipedia article, Shantae was actually originally published by Capcom!
(Developed by Wayforward, whom are currently in the midst of developing her next title, which was backed on Kickstarter.

And I can easily see why Wayforward is promoting the idea lots, as the recognition would drive interest and potential sales regarding her.

Also, more regarding Wayforward, I've read they've made some other awesome games, such as Mighty Switch Force, and a Boy and his Blob, the remaster for Ducktales, Double Dragon Neon, and other notable names. (And a few movie tie-in games. But we're focusing on the gems produced here.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When did Sakurai do anything to imply Ridley might be playable? Is this about the Smash Direct? Because he was very clearly implied to be a stage boss there, and people just intentionally took it the wrong way and set themselves up for dissapointment.
Palutena was teased in January 2014 with "The goddess of light watches the battlefield"
Ridley was first teased in September 2013 with "An enemy from Samus' past can appear at any second"
Ridley is the only NPC to have been teased, not to mention the only thing in sm4sh to have been teased for more than a year. Did you know that people thought Chrom was playable in Robin's trailer? Nintendo said a few minutes later "Sorry for the confusion, it's a final smash" Sakurai did the same when he forgot to add that Ashley and Prince Sable were assist trophies. That's the reason people thought Ridley was in as every other NPC was disconfirmed immediately
Besides, the reason I posted that Ridley image is because Sakurai thinks Ridley with small wings, something that's happened in almost half his official designs, is more inaccurate to the character than getting slapped into submission, something that goes against Ridley's personality

Last edited:

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
Wavebouncing is pretty tough, but I'm getting the hang of it a bit at normal speed.

To be perfectly honest, I feel like I should first get my fundamentals to a decent level.
And short hop more consistently.

BUT THE STYLE

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For people wondering hoe FE14 will change the weapoms other than removing degradation:
Bronze Sword: can’t use special attacks (critical hits) but adds +10 to evasion from special attacks.
Iron Sword: no lowered abilities.
Steel Sword: evasion –5, follow-up attack chance –3.
Silver Sword: critical evasion –5, power and skill goes down by –2 for the next turn.
Brave Sword: attacks twice, but –4 on defense and magic defense.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
For people wondering hoe FE14 will change the weapoms other than removing degradation:
Bronze Sword: can’t use special attacks (critical hits) but adds +10 to evasion from special attacks.
Silver Sword: critical evasion –5, power and skill goes down by –2 for the next turn.
This is pretty fair considering that weapon don't have durability anymore. I quite like it. Removing durability was kind of questionable to me at first, but with all these new changes I'm sure IS knows what they're doing. New weapon triangle is interesting as well. Bows will be even better against Peg. Knights now because Bows > Lances, which is a nice buff considering Archers are considered as one of the weakest classes by many. Dual Attack nerf is fair as well, it was a bit too good in Awakening. Classes that weren't really fast to begin with would get dual attacks left and right, but now only the quicker classes would get DAs. All in all, I'm pleased with the changes. IS nerfing stuff that were a bit too good in Awakening is a good thing IMO. Let's hope IS decides to nerf Limit Breaker and Galeforce as well.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well, the Brave Weapons were pretty OP in Awakening...but I feel that at high levels, 4 defense would matter so little that they'll still be OP in If. They probably need a power nerf, to. I mean, those things are absolutely rediculous. There is no reason to use most legendary weapons with those things around.

...Awakening was such a broken game.
Ridley was first teased in September 2013 with "An enemy from Samus' past can appear at any second"
In that case, he was still being teased as a stage boss.

People, again, just misinterpretted it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People, again, just misinterpretted it.
Again, Ashley, Chrom and Prince Sable's roles were clarified, Ashley's AT post said that she was an AT 10 minutes after it was posted, Nintendo needed to officially say "Chrom's not playable" and Sakurai said "Sable wasn't playable, sorry for any confusion" on twitter. Ridley was the only NPC teased instead of being disconfirmed ASAP. It's like if Mewtwo was hinted at with a post of Rayquaza saying "Soon, another legend shall be here" and on the last PoTD before the game's release, Mewtwo is shown as a pokeball

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Again, Ashley, Chrom and Prince Sable's roles were clarified, Ashley's AT post said that she was an AT 10 minutes after it was posted, Nintendo needed to officially say "Chrom's not playable" and Sakurai said "Sable wasn't playable, sorry for any confusion" on twitter. Ridley was the only NPC teased instead of being disconfirmed ASAP. It's like if Mewtwo was hinted at with a post of Rayquaza saying "Soon, another legend shall be here" and on the last PoTD before the game's release, Mewtwo is shown as a pokeball
Maybe he didn't say Ridley was a boss outright because he knew people like you would rage at him for it, long before
the game would actually come out.

This is pretty fair considering that weapon don't have durability anymore. I quite like it. Removing durability was kind of questionable to me at first, but with all these new changes I'm sure IS knows what they're doing. New weapon triangle is interesting as well. Bows will be even better against Peg. Knights now because Bows > Lances, which is a nice buff considering Archers are considered as one of the weakest classes by many. Dual Attack nerf is fair as well, it was a bit too good in Awakening. Classes that weren't really fast to begin with would get dual attacks left and right, but now only the quicker classes would get DAs. All in all, I'm pleased with the changes. IS nerfing stuff that were a bit too good in Awakening is a good thing IMO. Let's hope IS decides to nerf Limit Breaker and Galeforce as well.
I've heard people say archers actually got shafted even more since they now lose to magic, which was the preferred
indirect attack method to many (though to be fair, magic was also OP in Awakening). Though magic now also loses
to lance-wielding Pegasus Knights so I guess it will depend on if wind magic is still in and is still effective against fliers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wait what is all this? And how come I need to find all this stuff out in the Mewtwo thread?

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Wait what is all this? And how come I need to find all this stuff out in the Mewtwo thread?
Lots of new IF info got leaked recently. New weapon triangle, character bios, new characters, updated weapon system, etc. Ryuga knows that many of us in this thread likes FE so she's just sharing the info. Nothing wrong with that, this is a social thread after all. :p

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm glad to hear that about the weapons in FE If. I was worried when they announced that the weapons wouldn't degrade anymore thus reducing an element of strategy but this might actually be interesting.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Maybe he didn't say Ridley was a boss outright because he knew people like you would rage at him for it, long before the game would actually come out.
And instead he let the ****storm get bigger by drawing it out. Not a wise move if you want to keep fans. It's better off deconfirming things earlier so people don't get their hopes up. Even so he knows people will rage at him for a variety of things from the amount of bull**** stages in the game to Trash Tour to the awful Classic Mode in the Wii U version to the spoilers for Xenoblade.
People also raged at Rosalina getting in. People also raged at Little Mac. People raged at Miis. People raged at Pac-Man. People raged at DHD. People raged at the bull**** he said about Chrom.

Sakurai really could do with tips from 343 on how to manage the fans and their expectations the more I think about it.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And instead he let the ****storm get bigger by drawing it out. Not a wise move if you want to keep fans. It's better off deconfirming things earlier so people don't get their hopes up. Even so he knows people will rage at him for a variety of things from the amount of bull**** stages in the game to Trash Tour to the awful Classic Mode in the Wii U version to the spoilers for Xenoblade.
People also raged at Rosalina getting in. People also raged at Little Mac. People raged at Miis. People raged at Pac-Man. People raged at DHD. People raged at the bull**** he said about Chrom.

Sakurai really could do with tips from 343 on how to manage the fans and their expectations the more I think about it.
You know why that happened? Because people over-analized the situation to the point were they raised their own hopes in vain, not even stopping for a second to apply common sense once in a while. I hate to play Captain Hindsight in this scenario, but Ridley was teased as a boss, never as a playable character, people just decided to think otherwise. Who knows what reason they had to decide to not outright deconfirm it but fans act as if they didn't see this coming.
Out of what Sakurai has done in the past, I cannot blame him for this misunderstanding. You play victim a lot regarding this situation, but it is high time you take responsibility and accept that people merely got in over their heads and misread what was in front of them. It is not easy to admit it to ourselves but pointing fingers and saying "it's never my fault" is just not cool at all.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
You know why that happened? Because people over-analized the situation to the point were they raised their own hopes in vain, not even stopping for a second to apply common sense once in a while. I hate to play Captain Hindsight in this scenario, but Ridley was teased as a boss, never as a playable character, people just decided to think otherwise. Who knows what reason they had to decide to not outright deconfirm it but fans act as if they didn't see this coming.
Out of what Sakurai has done in the past, I cannot blame him for this misunderstanding. You play victim a lot regarding this situation, but it is high time you take responsibility and accept that people merely got in over their heads and misread what was in front of them. It is not easy to admit it to ourselves but pointing fingers and saying "it's never my fault" is just not cool at all.
Gee I wonder why Ridley fans play victim? Maybe it's because of the abuse they get from the likes of you?
They applied common sense. Maybe he was a stage hazard. So what? They'd accept it if he wasn't as awful and inaccurate as he currently is. All it did was confirm Ridley did indeed have a presence in SSB4 somehow whether it be a stage hazard (that fans would be happy with if it was done correctly. Funnily enough the obscure Metal Face was the only one done correctly) an assist trophy or a playable character.
I'm sorry but downright ineptness in the communication with fans is unforgivable for any developer.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Gee I wonder why Ridley fans play victim? Maybe it's because of the abuse they get from the likes of you?
They applied common sense. Maybe he was a stage hazard. So what? They'd accept it if he wasn't as awful and inaccurate as he currently is. All it did was confirm Ridley did indeed have a presence in SSB4 somehow whether it be a stage hazard (that fans would be happy with if it was done correctly) an assist trophy or a playable character.
I'm sorry but downright ineptness in the communication with fans is unforgivable for any developer.
Some things just can't be said, only done.
Perhaps Sakurai knows that the fans would only be happy if Ridley was playable.

@IsmaR is going to wreck your ****. With your own character.

Smooth Criminal
Uh, what's with this vote of confidence? You haven't even played me. Don't be so assumptious. :/

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Uh, what's with this vote of confidence? You haven't even played me. Don't be so assumptious. :/
He means that IsmaR is really good and could most likely smash you up.

While I haven't played her myself, I know from close friends who have fought IsmaR(with footage to boot) that she's not to be taken lightly. Especially her Mewtwo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom