• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Yes I'm fully aware about how hard it is to create a character, I never objected that, and those additional moves inevitably need additional programming and bug testing, which can take a while. It's obvious that they weren't a priority anyway, considering they admittedly aren't necessary to have a (mostly) functional character, but I don't think it's solid enough of a justification to just skip them and never release them, and I have my doubts about the fact they're that busy at the point they have to cut standard gameplay features like that.

But eh, guess I'll have to wait for the next update to have an answer. If they're not available at this point, then they'll most likely never make them a thing.

D

Deleted member

I've got two things to say:

1. How to beat rushdown characters. This is actually going to sound stupid, but fight fire with fire. Believe me, if you rush down a rushdown character as Mewtwo, you will win. Some of the more significant Falcons have fallen at the feet of my rushdown-two.
This strategy works because a rushdown player wouldn't expect their own technique to be used against them. Usually the go in for the same two options (if you're going against Falcon), which are dash-grab, and dash attack, however, Mewtwo's dash attack is better than Falcon's, and it will assert a form of priority over his.

2. For those of you @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz , Teleport looks like the type of move where you'd be able to act out of it, and personally, I think that the aerial cooldown animation for it supports that. I can always imagine the spin transitioning into a Melee shadowclaw, and the animation (and move as a whole) just looks incomplete without it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

1. How to beat rushdown characters. This is actually going to sound stupid, but fight fire with fire. Believe me, if you rush down a rushdown character as Mewtwo, you will win
2. For those of you @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz , Teleport looks like the type of move where you'd be able to act out of it,
False, Mewtwo's endlag is too damaging to that, not to mention Mewtwo's slow, rushdown characters can give him 20% in a few seconds, all they need to do is shield against dash attack and we're wide open
Isn't that what people do at the ledge to edgeguard quickly?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mewtwo can't really rushdown in the traditional sense that well, but it can place a lot of pressure. Use shadow ball and air dodge mind games to cover your approach. Mix things up and stay unpredictable, but be cautious.

This is especially effective on rushdown characters since they'll try to approach you anyway; use shadow ball to mess up their approach and turn it against them.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

1. How to beat rushdown characters. This is actually going to sound stupid, but fight fire with fire. Believe me, if you rush down a rushdown character as Mewtwo, you will win. Some of the more significant Falcons have fallen at the feet of my rushdown-two.
This strategy works because a rushdown player wouldn't expect their own technique to be used against them. Usually the go in for the same two options (if you're going against Falcon), which are dash-grab, and dash attack, however, Mewtwo's dash attack is better than Falcon's, and it will assert a form of priority over his.

2. For those of you @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz @ pikazz pikazz , Teleport looks like the type of move where you'd be able to act out of it, and personally, I think that the aerial cooldown animation for it supports that. I can always imagine the spin transitioning into a Melee shadowclaw, and the animation (and move as a whole) just looks incomplete without it.
While rushing down a rushdown character may work for you, it does nothing for me. I've done it before, and I get absolutely wrecked. Personally, the way I deal with them is playing ultimate defense. I take almost no risks and only go in for a strike when I'm positive it'll land. That said, I edge-guard much more aggressively and apply a lot of off-stage pressure. Basically, I play a more polarized version of my normal Mewtwo. It works pretty well, at least for me. Each to their own, though.

As for Teleport, I personally have never had any problems with it. I don't know if I'm doing something different or if I've just been really lucky so far or what, but I haven't had any of the issues you guys are bringing up. I am, however, unbelievably paranoid now that the potential problems have been brought to my attention:p.

Also, I personally don't think Mewtwo needs to be able to act out of Teleport. It's a great recovery move, and it complements Mewtwo's playstyle nicely. I can't tell you how many rough spots that move has gotten me out of. I honestly don't think Mewtwo needs that "extra edge." He's already a pretty solid character, and a couple of top-level competitive players have voiced their opinions him. Jtails thinks Mewtwo is in the top 15, and Mew2King went back on his original statement and said that Mewtwo has the potential to be one of the best characters in the game. I think the animation looks fine, too. That's just my opinion, though.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

let me guess, P:M made you want to have attacks out of teleport?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I thought it already did that. What's the difference between ledge-snapping and auto-ledge-snapping?
With Mewtwo it's possible to accidentally bounce off the ledge during Teleport, meaning Mewtwo won't grab the ledge but will appear right next to it, but not close enough to the point he can grab it, that's what I meant, no difference in those terms

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
With Mewtwo it's possible to accidentally bounce off the ledge during Teleport, meaning Mewtwo won't grab the ledge but will appear right next to it, but not close enough to the point he can grab it, that's what I meant, no difference in those terms
Oh. My mistake, then. And, while I've never experienced this problem, it's obviously a thing, so I'd be totally OK with this buff. It would definitely ease my paranoia:p.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, while Mewtwo definitely can't rushdown, but he's still good at applying pressure if he manages to get a chance to.

He's kind of like Charizard that way; he can't really go offensive right of the bat, but he can destroy if he gets his enemy in an unfavorable position. The difference between him and Charizard is that Mewtwo actually has a good nuetral and a good air game(well, one of the many differences, but generally speaking they're similar).

Or maybe that's just my playstyle because I am a Charizard main, and this is in my head...eh, probably not.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Can't believe it's already been a month... Time flies. I can still remember my idiotic grin when I got Mewtwo. Happy Mewtwo Day everybody. =D

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
The teleport thing is more of an issue for certain stage angles and distance more than anything else. If you're really close to any solid piece of stage and teleport into it instead of doing a dead stop in the direction Mewtwo will continue in A) An open area that allows Mewtwo to move or B) the direction Mewtwo is facing, with option a having more priority. You can short hop then teleport straight down to see this. So really only teleporting too close to an edge or one with an odd angle on the side can really do that teleport shenanigans. I would love for it to be fixed though,

The only realistic buffs I could ever see on Mewtwo would be a bit more weight, and a tad more hit stun on the early hit of his up air. As much as I love the idea of acting out of teleport, it honestly is too strong of a concept. Look at P.M. 3.0 Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

let me guess, P:M made you want to have attacks out of teleport?
No, surprisingly. I've been wanted that, ever since Melee, and when I hacked Mewtwo into Brawl (unreleased), That was one of the first changes I made, and that was waaaay before PM Mewtwo was shown to people. I also wanted disable to hit on both sides, because regardless of it being an "eye-contact energy beam" it's still energy. And it shouldn't be bound to one direction or side. There are so many changes that I wanted and still do want for Myuutsu, some that none of you would be able to conceive (no offense).

Mewtwo isn't made for rushdown, he's made for defensive play and punishment.
Maybe if he was heavier...
For a worthy opponent, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever saw you post (since technically I didn't "hear" it). If you read Mewtwo's trophy description carefully, you'll realize that the creator's intent was never for Mewtwo to be a defensive character, he was supposed to be a tactical rushdown character hence the "If you're willing to risk getting in close, it might be worth it!". to me, I personally think that this is saying that while Mewtwo has a lot of weaknesses, he also has a lot of strengths, and if you rush people down, then you can find success, and you can fulfill the mission to make the worlds' most powerful pokemon.

One of the primary problems with us Mewtwo players is that we think that just because our character is light, that we have to play defensively to accommodate for that, but that isn't entirely true. I am not saying that defense doesn't have it's place. In fact, I think that if you get launched upwards, or offstage (regardless of if they pursue you or attempt an edgeguard), you should drop the offense and focus on mindgames/surviving. But during every other circumstance, keep rushing your opponent down, 'down on the ground.

Also, edgeguarding is a cheap and ineffective tactic. Literally anytime somebody tries to edgeguard my Mewtwo, I uair them and I continue to rush them down. You'd be better off just pursuing them offstage like what I do, because at least if you miss, you can recover back on stage with them, so as to land on the exact (or close to exact) area that they're going to land on to ensure an onstage punish (like a Smash Attack).

I know for some this might be a lot to take in, but it'll be worth it, and for those who are already good and able to comprehend this, you all should probably pay attention to this anyways, as it could help to make you even better.

In addition, if anybody wants to Smash right now, I'll be open

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also, edgeguarding is a cheap and ineffective tactic. Literally anytime somebody tries to edgeguard my Mewtwo, I uair them and I continue to rush them down. You'd be better off just pursuing them offstage like what I do, because at least if you miss, you can recover back on stage with them, so as to land on the exact (or close to exact) area that they're going to land on to ensure an onstage punish (like a Smash Attack).
Sometimes people refer to chasing characters off stage as edge guarding as well. I'm pretty sure that's when she meant.

Mewtwo is very good at this; Fair is powerful and Bair has a good hitbox.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, surprisingly. I've been wanted that, ever since Melee, and when I hacked Mewtwo into Brawl (unreleased), That was one of the first changes I made, and that was waaaay before PM Mewtwo was shown to people. I also wanted disable to hit on both sides, because regardless of it being an "eye-contact energy beam" it's still energy. And it shouldn't be bound to one direction or side. There are so many changes that I wanted and still do want for Myuutsu, some that none of you would be able to conceive (no offense).

For a worth opponent, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever saw you post (since technically I didn't "hear" it). If you read Mewtwo's trophy description carefully, you'll realize that the creator's intent was never for Mewtwo to be a defensive character, he was supposed to be a tactical rushdown character hence the "If you're willing to risk getting in close, it might be worth it!". to me, I personally think that this is saying that while Mewtwo has a lot of weaknesses, he also has a lot of strengths, and if you rush people down, then you can find success, and you can fulfill the mission to make the worlds' most powerful pokemon.

One of the primary problems with us Mewtwo players is that we think that just because our character is light, that we have to play defensively to accommodate for that, but that isn't entirely true. I am not saying that defense doesn't have it's place. In fact, I think that if you get launched upwards, or offstage (regardless of if they pursue you or attempt an edgeguard), you should drop the offense and focus on mindgames/surviving. But during every other circumstance, keep rushing your opponent down, 'down on the ground.

I know for some this might be a lot to take in, but it'll be worth it, and for those who are already good and able to comprehend this, you all should probably pay attention to this anyways, as it could help to make you even better.

In addition, if anybody wants to Smash right now, I'll be open
Escavalier has base 30 speed yet travels at Mach speed according to the pokedex, so trophy =/= playstyle
Light characters tend to either be highly aggressive or defensive, Ganondorfs play defensive as they have too much endlag, Mewtwo's similair in that regard, punished easily
Just because you can handle people on FG easily doesn't mean you can handle it against actual good players, Alpharad proved that scrubby Little Mac still exists
All you're doing is putting yourself at risk if you act hyper aggressive, as good players will notice how you're using your stronger moves, Shulk can be horrifying for Mewtwo as if Shulk gets a vision, you're likely sent flying, I managed to kill with vision while using Buster, the Art that heavily REDUCES knockback

D

Deleted member

Escavalier has base 30 speed yet travels at Mach speed according to the pokedex, so trophy =/= playstyle
Light characters tend to either be highly aggressive or defensive, Ganondorfs play defensive as they have too much endlag, Mewtwo's similair in that regard, punished easily
Just because you can handle people on FG easily doesn't mean you can handle it against actual good players, Alpharad proved that scrubby Little Mac still exists
All you're doing is putting yourself at risk if you act hyper aggressive, as good players will notice how you're using your stronger moves, Shulk can be horrifying for Mewtwo as if Shulk gets a vision, you're likely sent flying, I managed to kill with vision while using Buster, the Art that heavily REDUCES knockback
I'm not talking about For Glory, I'm talking about For Reality. I actually studied this before making the post, this isn't just coming from a noob next door.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Considering you believe Mewtwo wins against rushdown characters like Captain Falcon who's fast, pretty strong, has decent weight and outright amazing combos, I find that difficult to believe. I beat a Pit player as Mega Man, does that mean Mega Man has good ways to deal with Pit? No, it doesn't, because we were playing casual matches, I only one when he hit a Danger Zone in GCO (7 player match btw). Pit's Guardian Orbitars can outright shutdown any approach from Mega Man. Any fast characters that are used by people who know what they need to do will outright decimate Mewtwo
I'm not talking about For Glory, I'm talking about For Reality. I actually studied this before making the post, this isn't just coming from a noob next door.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Mewtwos moveset are build to be more of a defensive powerhouse thanks to his power and some lag on his attacks

however, I can agree that being offensive with mewtwo can be viable as mixup since it can screw many people up when they expect you to be defensive, you can get a neat kill when they do not expect it! I did win against that ZSS and Sheik player just because I swapped into offensive play a moment before switching back to defensive.
but being 100% offensive with mewtwo isnt good for mewtwo, first priority is to give pressure and be defensive, after that is offensive!

mewtwo has power to be both, but being offensive shows his biggest weakness! his weight! and that can be mewtwos downfall!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering you believe Mewtwo wins against rushdown characters like Captain Falcon who's fast, pretty strong, has decent weight and outright amazing combos, I find that difficult to believe. I beat a Pit player as Mega Man, does that mean Mega Man has good ways to deal with Pit? No, it doesn't, because we were playing casual matches, I only one when he hit a Danger Zone in GCO (7 player match btw). Pit's Guardian Orbitars can outright shutdown any approach from Mega Man. Any fast characters that are used by people who know what they need to do will outright decimate Mewtwo
Tell that to the Metal Blade -> Down-throw -> Fair rushdown tactic

And trust me, I hate fast and strong characters, they are overpowered and ruin the game, as characters who are either one or the other (like they should be) are automatically at a disadvantage, and if I got the chance I would fix those characters immediately.
But it's because I hate "Legendary Characters" that I have studied them and I know that Mewtwo can beat them by going rushdown.

Also, Megaman is a good rushdown character, you just gotta play your blades right

I really want to Smash with some of you to prove my point...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@Mario Smith , @ pikazz pikazz brings up something that you don't. It's good for the occasional mixup, mixups are to make sure you aren't too predictable, you said Mewtwo needs to be aggressive, when Mewtwo simply isn't built hyper offensively. You can get a drill instead of a screwdriver, but you can't use it to nail things down. Mewtwo's moves are especially good at one thing: Punishing. A friend of mine who's outright amazing told me about how he fought a Ganondorf that kicked the **** out of him. Ganondorf however, didn't approach. He waited till my friend attacked and then retaliated. Ganondorf and Mewtwo are very similar as they are rather sluggish in both movement speed and attacking and how they both deal pretty large amounts of damage. Ganondorf is slower but is given more weight. Ganondorf has the tools to make him a great punisher. Mega Man simply can't react well on reflectors as most characters with reflectors are quick, Mega Man's toolkit gives him enough to work with, but gives him this fatal flaw
EDIT: Did you see me fight that Pit? I did that, he still managed to pull out every trick in the book before accidentally running into a danger zone. You clearly have no sense of balance as you want Mewtwo to act out of teleport, be fast, have more weight and have stronger moves. Good luck fighting me when it's 2AM my time

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

And trust me, I hate fast and strong characters, they are overpowered and ruin the game, as characters who are either one or the other (like they should be) are automatically at a disadvantage, and if I got the chance I would fix those characters immediately.
But it's because I hate "Legendary Characters" that I have studied them and I know that Mewtwo can beat them by going rushdown.

Also, Megaman is a good rushdown character, you just gotta play your blades right

now all of you stop being cowards and play the game.
I don't play Mega Man, but I'm pretty sure that if you try to pull off an approach that starts with Metal Blade, then Pit can shut it down with the Guardian Orbitars. You can't really approach with a projectile if the opponent in question has a reflector.

Also, playing defensively doesn't make you a coward. Considering Mewtwo is incredibly light and has a decent amount of end-lag on most of his attacks, playing defensively as him is very smart. Offensive play has its place, but Mewtwo cannot just go all out offense on an opponent. Anybody who knows what they're doing will wise up and counter it. That said, switching to offense on the fly can actually be a pretty effective surprise tactic, as the opponent may be caught off guard and you'll get the opportunity to deal some serious damage. However, Mewtwo simply cannot play super offensive all the time. It just doesn't work at high-level play.

Finally, that last part of your post was unnecessarily aggressive. We're just trying to have a civil argument. There's no need to call people out for playing a character the way he has to be played. And, like I said above, playing defensively isn't cowardly. It's an intelligent playstyle that works very well with Mewtwo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@Mario Smith , @ pikazz pikazz brings up something that you don't. It's good for the occasional mixup, mixups are to make sure you aren't too predictable, you said Mewtwo needs to be aggressive, when Mewtwo simply isn't built hyper offensively. You can get a drill instead of a screwdriver, but you can't use it to nail things down. Mewtwo's moves are especially good at one thing: Punishing. A friend of mine who's outright amazing told me about how he fought a Ganondorf that kicked the **** out of him. Ganondorf however, didn't approach. He waited till my friend attacked and then retaliated. Ganondorf and Mewtwo are very similar as they are rather sluggish in both movement speed and attacking and how they both deal pretty large amounts of damage. Ganondorf is slower but is given more weight. Ganondorf has the tools to make him a great punisher. Mega Man simply can't react well on reflectors as most characters with reflectors are quick, Mega Man's toolkit gives him enough to work with, but gives him this fatal flaw
I mentioned an opposite to what Pikazz said: using defense as a mixup.

Also, I think that you were exaggerating on the part that I clipped out

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Also, I think that you were exaggerating on the part that I clipped out
'Escavilier has base 30' was a valid argument about what you said. You also said it's a good idea to use Metal Blade, a projectile that can be reflected, against Pit's Guardian Orbitars!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Why only use defense as a mix up when you have good range on your tilts, a powerful punish game, and an incredibly awesome projectile? Mewtwo's rushdown options are limmited compared to his offensive options.

Mewtwo does have a few good offensive moves; but offense is genearlly for when you're already in a favorable position.

D

Deleted member

'Escavilier has base 30' was a valid argument about what you said. You also said it's a good idea to use Metal Blade, a projectile that can be reflected, against Pit's Guardian Orbitars!
I was talking about in the general scheme of things, not necessarily against Pit, though I guess I could've worded it better.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Why only use defense as a mix up when you have good range on your tilts, a powerful punish game, and an incredibly awesome projectile? Mewtwo's rushdown options are limmited compared to his offensive options.

Mewtwo does have a few good offensive moves; but offense is genearlly for when you're already in a favorable position.
It's posts like these that make me wish I could give out more than one like per post.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I was talking about in the general scheme of things, not necessarily against Pit, though I guess I could've worded it better.
If I specifically mention Pit, they that means you ****ed up. Not to mention that doesn't ****ing work on reflectors. Matchups are pretty much everything. It's why I chose characters like Sheik or Falcon against Bowser or Shulk against Mewtwo
It's posts like these that make me wish I could give out more than one like per post.
KEEP HITTING THE LIKE BUTTON FOR A PLACEBO EFFECT!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If I specifically mention Pit, they that means you ****ed up. Not to mention that doesn't ****ing work on reflectors. Matchups are pretty much everything. It's why I chose characters like Sheik or Falcon against Bowser or Shulk against Mewtwo
Dude, take a chill pill

Top Bottom