• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I know we're all still angry with Mario Smith, but I actually have to agree with him here. I really don't like the direction Nintendo is headed with amiibo. They were creative and valuable in Smash Bros, but in every other game we've seen with them? They are nothing more then unlocks. Be it costumes, characters and weapons, or an underwhelming game mode, that's all they seem to be good for now. Why even bother equiping them with memory chips when all they're ever going to do is unlock things? I guess amiibos look kind of cool in Wooly World, but I'm starting to doubt we'll ever see them used like they were in Smash Brothers in a long time; something that truly sets them apart.

Aside from that...did an entirely new franchise, that has a somewhat fair chance of never becoming a Nintendo staple, really need three amiibo? Are they going to spit out new amiibo for every brand new IP now? And is Splatoon's usage of amiibo really so special as to justify them?
TBH I think even in Smash, amiibos in the games are pretty underwhelming. In Smash you get a CPU buddy, but I honestly think it would be a lot better if you had the option to turn off the buffs it gets. Other than a CPU buddy, they don't really do anything. Most people I know just buy amiibos because they're cool looking toy figures, not for the bonuses you get in the games. My friend collects Smash figures and hasn't used a single one in Smash.

Amiibos in general are pretty underwhelming in the games. However, IMO, that's completely fine. Is it a bad thing that amiibos aren't that great in games? I'd say so. Are amiibos itself a bad thing? I don't think so. I see amiibos more of a toy figure rather than a bonus you get in the games. I think Nintendo knows what they're doing with amiibos... sure, they're bad in the games, but have you seen how much money they're making? People like the amiibos. Nintendo should keep on making them! Maybe they'll fix the amiibo's usefulness in games, but for now even if they don't it's fine. Most people I know (including myself) treat amiibos like a collector's toy figure rather than a bonus you get in a game.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
TBH I think even in Smash, amiibos in the games are pretty underwhelming. In Smash you get a CPU buddy, but I honestly think it would be a lot better if you had the option to turn off the buffs it gets. Other than a CPU buddy, they don't really do anything. Most people I know just buy amiibos because they're cool looking toy figures, not for the bonuses you get in the games. My friend collects Smash figures and hasn't used a single one in Smash.

Amiibos in general are pretty underwhelming in the games. However, IMO, that's completely fine. Is it a bad thing that amiibos aren't that great in games? I'd say so. Are amiibos itself a bad thing? I don't think so. I see amiibos more of a toy figure rather than a bonus you get in the games. I think Nintendo knows what they're doing with amiibos... sure, they're bad in the games, but have you seen how much money they're making? People like the amiibos. Nintendo should keep on making them! Maybe they'll fix the amiibo's usefulness in games, but for now even if they don't it's fine. Most people I know (including myself) treat amiibos like a collector's toy figure rather than a bonus you get in a game.
i was hoping they could help me in classic mode, but nope

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
On amiibo stuff i really wish they would just put up the costumes and such as paid dlc. they are really missing out on a market there imo. like for example i'd totally dig the captain falcon suit in MK8 but am definitely not willing to shell out an exorbitant ammount for it to resellers now.I really dont like where the amiibo concept has gone at all it's honestly slightly worse than scuzzy on-disk dlc particularly because of the manipulated shortage.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
On another topic, Gengar just got confirmed for Pokken. One of the best ghost types... yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Perhaps Mewtwo would join the battle as well? Mewtwo4Pokken

Last edited:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
On another topic, Gengar just got confirmed for Pokken. One of the best ghost types... yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Perhaps Mewtwo would join the battle as well? Mewtwo4Pokken
WAIT WHAT??
Thats awesome! BRELOOM, SCEPTILE, OR MEWTWO PLS GET IN

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
@ MagiusNecros MagiusNecros : It most undoubtedly will because pokemon prints money. Not giving it a international wii u release would be the stupidest decision for all parties involved.Blaziken's a shoe-in for pokken. greninja too because every fighting game has to have a ninja, it's pretty much a rule. sceptile would probably complete the fire/water/grass trio.As for mewtwo i'd rather see him as the intentionally overpowered final boss at the end of the game.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
If it does get released for the Wii U, hopefully they allow us to use GC controllers. :]

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Your name is 1DeadRabbit and Pikachu looks way more like rabbit than a mouse?
Lol.
So you'd THINK.
The name's actually an inside joke. I explained it on another thread:
I started playing Brawl a few years ago with my friends, and as you can except I wasn't very good. One time I must of biffed it or something (don't remember the context) as Lucario, and my friend said, "That is one dead rabbit."

Of course I got mad about that initially, but I grew to find it amusing.
Basically it's been a running joke ever since.

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Lol.
So you'd THINK.
I started playing Brawl a few years ago with my friends, and as you can except I wasn't very good. One time I must of biffed it or something (don't remember the context) as Lucario, and my friend said, "That is one dead rabbit."

Oh wow xD

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Lol.
So you'd THINK.

What about Shendin? Is there a story behind Shendin? o.o

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
What about Shendin? Is there a story behind Shendin? o.o
Shendin's just a bogus nonsense word I made up. It's my username for pretty much everything else.

1DeadRabbit would be what you'd call a Smash alias...if I ever played competitively, that is.

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
He handed ZeRo and M2K their robes himself!!! And the New 3DS's!!! I wonder if those are region locked... nonetheless they look prett neat.
I wish there had been a closeup of them! Did they have smashballs on them or something? They looked gorgeous!

Also, M2K so serious.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
He handed ZeRo and M2K their robes himself!!! And the New 3DS's!!! I wonder if those are region locked... nonetheless they look prett neat.
Sakurai whispers: "Enjoy your OP characters while you have them. I'm going to nerf them all..." :3
and Greninja too, just cuz...

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Using their top tier characters, I assume?
*sigh*
A win's a win. As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes you just don't get results playing your favorite character.

I think the one of the most recent heartbreaking moments for me is when I dropped Smash 4 Doc. I loved playing him in Melee, and was crushed when he was cut in Brawl. Then he gets confirmed for Sm4sh and I get all exited. I finally have my Melee main back and better than ever.

Then came my first few tourneys. As much as I loved playing the Doc, I got absolutely destroyed when I tried using him against real people. His recovery was bad, he was slower than Mario, and his combo game compared to Mario was almost nonexistent. Not to mention the constant flack I'd get for using him rather than regular Mario.

After a while, I took a long look at Doc, how the character played, and the Smash 4 metagame. I'm pretty sure it was one of the hardest things to say to myself, but I knew it.

I cannot possibly win by playing Doc.

There, I said it. No matter how much you love a character, at the end of the day, you're playing to win. You don't go to tournaments to lose to everybody. You need results. So no matter how good you are with that character, no matter how much advanced techniques you've mastered, all the in's and out's you've memorized, every option you're character has against every scenario, sometimes you're best just isn't good enough.

And that's the hard, cold, ugly truth...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Out of the current roster, I'll probably play as Suicune in Pokken, myself. I just love the legendary beast of Johto.

...With Suicune being in the roster, I'm actually fairly confident Mewtwo will become playable. We've already gotten proof that legendaries can be playable as opposed to some other flashy roles, and Mewtwo is one of the most famous and most iconic legends to date.

And if Mewtwo does actually become playable as I expect, I'll probably play him as well. I mean, I can't be devoted to him in one fighting game and completely ignore him in another; I just can't let old favorites go.

Edit: Then again, I thought Agitha being in Hyrule Warriors basically confirmed playable Tingle for similar reasons I thought Suicune confirms Mewtwo, but Tingle didn't make it until the final wave of DLC...

Last edited:
Top Bottom