• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Mewtwo is a lot faster now than in Melee, I've noticed; he's one of the faster characters in the game, actually. He's still light, but he can survive a lot better than in Melee since Confusion can now be used to recover horizontally, in addition to his high jumps.

On another note, in playing not even an hour of For Glory, I ran into two seperate Little Macs and two seperate Dark Pits. It's nice to be able to play online, but the roster in For Glory is pretty stagnant. :p

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425

You are looking at this wrong.
Mewtwo is Mewtwo, regardless of what tier he is. Regardless of how he performs in general. If you do not like Mewtwo for what he is, then maybe you should just drop him and leave him to those who are willing to commit to him, regardless of how he plays.

Do not take this the wrong way, but the negativity...from all of the people who are upset at the way Mewtwo is...they should kindly take themselves away from here and find some other forum to complain about it. Only the people who will commit, regardless...or rather, choose not to complain, but be happy...should remain. You don't have to be good with him, or even main him to be a part of the community- to be completely honest.

Just support him and those who support him as well.
Great, you guys have gone and made Mewtwo angry. Are you pleased with yourselves now? I agree with everything Speed has said here.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yeah, people forget that Mewtwo's dash speed is 19th fastest in the game iirc, as fast as Wii Fit Trainer. Air speed is tied for 7th best with Greninja, Mario and one or two other characters.

It's the attack speed that's the letdown, but his jab, d-tilt, n-air and f-air are still quite fast.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I seriously can't believe that "discussion" went on for so long. what the hell

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I love shooters such as Halo (if the 117 and past use of MC, Gravemind, Halo Legends and Didact avi/sigs were any indication at all), Gears of War and Team Fortress 2. They have a substantial amount of content in the game (granted TF2 is what 9 years old now? (Square root of 9 is 3. HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!)) and Splatoon looks to lack decent content if the install size is anything to go by (granted it could be really well compressed).

Another thing I don't like is that the cosmetics have different perks on them and some are Amiibo exclusive.
What I hate about Call of Duty is the perks and it's why I hated the Halo 4 multiplayer.
The trio I mentioned above have cosmetics that are just that (Though GoW is more skins based on characters). Purely cosmetic with no buffs/debuffs as a result. I love my balance in shooters. It extends the life of them and gives them an above average competitive scene. Then making some of it amiibo exclusive is really stupid. Unless they've made more than a few thousand Splatoon amiibo then it's going to backfire horribly.

Then there's the online stuff. I can't host a private, custom match with my friends? It's 2015. I should be able to adjust the scores and time limits at the bare minimum. The lack of voice chat is jarring as well. Was a mute/kick feature really that hard to implement? Bring up the game roster, select the offending person and boom you can't hear them. CoD and Halo set the benchmark for shooters and on this part Splatoon is failing to reach it.

The only thing separating it from the likes of Evolve (a platform to sell DLC on), Titanfall (a really fun game that suffered from a lack of content) and the new Star Wars Battlefront (Don't get me started on this. Please ****ing don't) is that it'll at least have a single player campaign but I'm not paying money just for a campaign and a multiplayer I'll play maybe a few matches before moving on to Witcher 3 or going back to my backlog before Batsy drops in.

I want to be excited but it's very hard for me to get excited for it.

TL;DR

I'm extremely picky with my shooters and Splatoon isn't doing enough to stand out from the rest whilst still maintaining some basic features that others have. It's release date doesn't do many favours either. Witcher is out just before it and Batman follows a few weeks later. Both of which I'm very much anticipating.

I also somehow forgot LEGO Jurassic World.
I can understand most of these points, and I can see why they could be turn-offs to some people, but I personally am indifferent to most of what you said. Extra aesthetic options are merely bonus stuff to me, so I don't really care about some of the costumes being amiibo exclusive. There's still a bunch of different clothing options in Splatoon, even without amiibo, so that doesn't bother me at all. Besides that, Splatoon's bright, colorful visual style is more than enough to fill my aesthetic needs. Considering a vast majority of other shooters use a dark, gritty visual style, I'm quite pleased with Splatoon's art style. It's very unique and refreshing.

I couldn't care less about voice chat, and while I understand what you're saying, I think Nintendo definitely has some solid foundation to stand on regarding that decision. I get sick of immature players throwing around curse words and pathetic threats at unnecessarily loud volumes, so I rarely use voice chat. I suppose that, since I regularly get by without it, my view on this is partially skewed, but I guess I'll still throw my hat in the ring. Also, your proposal for banning obnoxious players sounds really tedious and ineffective. You can't pause online matches, so you'll still have to wait at least one match before you can ban them, and the sheer number of childish players online would mean that you're probably going to ban them and never see them again after you finish playing. I could be wrong, but it sounds rather ineffective. Regardless, however, I acknowledge that voice chat would have been nice for those that want it.

The thing about being unable to create friend rooms online is complete horsecrap. You can create friend rooms. Someone just misinterpreted something and it spread like wildfire over the internet.

The only thing you said that I completley disagree with is Splatoon not being unique. Aside from the refreshing art style, Splatoon's gameplay is completely different from other shooters. First of all, you can turn into a squid and swim through your own ink in order to increase your mobility, decrease your visibility, and to get to otherwise inaccessible locations. No other game has anything even remotely similar to it. Additionally, you can't swim through enemy ink, and walking on enemy ink actually slows you down, both of which promote different levels and different types of strategies than other shooters. And, if that's not enough, you can also rocket jump to any teammate at any time, which allows you to provide immediate backup and gives you the ability to jump right back into the action after being defeated, effectively eliminating long, boring treks to the battlefield and reducing the amount of hopeless 3-on-1 battles. The game seems to have a pretty big emphasis on teamwork, what with rocket jumps and being faced with the challenge to paint the majority of an entire map. Also, like you said, Splatoon looks like it has a pretty impressive single-player campaign. If I had to condense Splatoon into one word, it would definitely be "unique." There's nothing else quite like it.

In any case, I totally understand what you're saying, and it really just boils down to opinion. Maybe Splatoon simply isn't the game for you, and I'm totally cool with that:).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
I couldn't care less about voice chat, and while I understand what you're saying, I think Nintendo definitely has some solid foundation to stand on regarding that decision. I get sick of immature players throwing around curse words and pathetic threats at unnecessarily loud volumes, so I rarely use voice chat. I suppose that, since I regularly get by without it, my view on this is partially skewed, but I guess I'll still throw my hat in the ring. Also, your proposal for banning obnoxious players sounds really tedious and ineffective. You can't pause online matches, so you'll still have to wait at least one match before you can ban them, and the sheer number of childish players online would mean that you're probably going to ban them and never see them again after you finish playing. I could be wrong, but it sounds rather ineffective. Regardless, however, I acknowledge that voice chat would have been nice for those that want it.

The only thing you said that I completley disagree with is Splatoon not being unique. Aside from the refreshing art style, Splatoon's gameplay is completely different from other shooters. First of all, you can turn into a squid and swim through your own ink in order to increase your mobility, decrease your visibility, and to get to otherwise inaccessible locations. No other game has anything even remotely similar to it. Additionally, you can't swim through enemy ink, and walking on enemy ink actually slows you down, both of which promote different levels and different types of strategies than other shooters. And, if that's not enough, you can also rocket jump to any teammate at any time, which allows you to provide immediate backup and gives you the ability to jump right back into the action after being defeated, effectively eliminating long, boring treks to the battlefield and reducing the amount of hopeless 3-on-1 battles. The game seems to have a pretty big emphasis on teamwork, what with rocket jumps and being faced with the challenge to paint the majority of an entire map. Also, like you said, Splatoon looks like it has a pretty impressive single-player campaign. If I had to condense Splatoon into one word, it would definitely be "unique." There's nothing else quite like it.
It doesn't even require pausing the game in Halo. You open up the leader board with the select button and find the guy before muting him with the press of a button. Kicking doesn't necessarily mean a ban either. The kick mechanic works really well in TF2 (sans MvM but that's because they want their Botkiller weapons).

Splatoon takes together a load of mechanics from other games.
Battlefield allows spawning on a teammate.
TF2 allows for Engi's to set up Teleporters for fast travel and Soldiers/Demos can Rocket/Sticky Jump around the map.
Halo had armour abilities like Active Camo and Jetpack to allow for invisibility and getting to otherwise inaccessible areas respectively. The Promethean grenades also slightly slowed movement of enemies too.
It's basically taken what other games have done and implemented them differently whilst adding a few new things.

Territory control's nothing new to me either. It's the basics of how to win at Halo (They who control the Power Weapons win the game) and effectively defend in TF2 (provided you have competent Engineers and Pyros). I have nothing against cosmetic customisation as long as it doesn't affect gameplay but Splatoon's given cosmetics perks which I really don't like.

One I thing I do like is that Spawn Camping is discouraged which is rare to see in shooters.

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Splatoon looks pretty cool. It seems like a pretty cool take on the shooting genre. I like the Inklings.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
just gonna throw my voice in to hope that I get heard but I am really excited for Splatoon.
not the one that play shooter games, but this game really took me! a new IP, colorful, new gimmicky style that isnt been in a shooter and that its inkling!

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Splatoon looks pretty great but i probably wont get it until much later due to financial reasons.If the online is half dead by then(like every fighting game on XBLA for example V.V) i'm going to be pissed

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, touching on the Amiibo subject, I don't like how they decided to branch out Amiibo beyond Smash Bros. To me, that just takes the charm out of it, and makes me care overall less about the product. I mean seriously. They could've at least given it a different name, but even going beyond that, they still messed up imo. In Smash they did it right: pay money to get a buffed, more intelligent version of something that's already in the game (a CPU), but nonetheless is still there. But now they are making it where you have to pay money to actually play the complete version of the game! I mean seriously, Amiibo Party? Really? Why?

It's things like this that repels me from Nintendo, and gaming companies in-general.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally, touching on the Amiibo subject, I don't like how they decided to branch out Amiibo beyond Smash Bros. To me, that just takes the charm out of it, and makes me care overall less about the product. I mean seriously. They could've at least given it a different name, but even going beyond that, they still messed up imo. In Smash they did it right: pay money to get a buffed, more intelligent version of something that's already in the game (a CPU), but nonetheless is still there. But now they are making it where you have to pay money to actually play the complete version of the game! I mean seriously, Amiibo Party? Really? Why?

It's things like this that repels me from Nintendo, and gaming companies in-general.
*Gasp* Oh, the horror! Nintendo is trying to make more money out a product that's selling so well that
they had trouble keeping them in stock by giving them more uses outside of the one they were initially made for! How dare they. (They admitted that amiibo completely blew their expectations).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*Gasp* Oh, the horror! Nintendo is trying to make more money out a product that's selling so well that
they had trouble keeping them in stock by giving them more uses outside of the one they were initially made for! How dare they. (They admitted that amiibo completely blew their expectations).
Remember, it's an opinion. I just don't find it to be right.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But now they are making it where you have to pay money to actually play the complete version of the game! I mean seriously, Amiibo Party? Really? Why?
Skylanders was a major success for Activision as children liked the toys more than the games. With amiibo it's similar, Nintendo outright said they didn't expect it to go this well, and amiibo party was likely made because amiibo were so successful.
Remember, it's an opinion. I just don't find it to be right.
Your opinion on Robin was that he's a rushdown character, and remember, your opinion isn't fact

D

Deleted member

Skylanders was a major success for Activision as children liked the toys more than the games. With amiibo it's similar, Nintendo outright said they didn't expect it to go this well, and amiibo party was likely made because amiibo were so successful.

Your opinion on Robin was that he's a rushdown character, and remember, your opinion isn't fact
I said that Robin can be a rushdown character. Not that that was his sole purpose. And I still hold firm to that belief.
It's alright to disagree with an opinion, but there's no need to get an attitude over it. In the end, a cluster of ones and zeros just isn't worth it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know we're all still angry with Mario Smith, but I actually have to agree with him here. I really don't like the direction Nintendo is headed with amiibo. They were creative and valuable in Smash Bros, but in every other game we've seen with them? They are nothing more then unlocks. Be it costumes, characters and weapons, or an underwhelming game mode, that's all they seem to be good for now. Why even bother equiping them with memory chips when all they're ever going to do is unlock things? I guess amiibos look kind of cool in Wooly World, but I'm starting to doubt we'll ever see them used like they were in Smash Brothers in a long time; something that truly sets them apart.

Aside from that...did an entirely new franchise, that has a somewhat fair chance of never becoming a Nintendo staple, really need three amiibo? Are they going to spit out new amiibo for every brand new IP now? And is Splatoon's usage of amiibo really so special as to justify them?

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Changing the angle of a tilt is not DI, just so you know :p Not trying to start a fight, just being informative.

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
There's the Lucario social thread.
And then there's this social thread.

How are you guys still liking Mewtwo by the way?

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Hm, speaking of Amiibo's you guys should make sure you pre-order for Mewtwo as soon as you can. I asked about pre-orders for him a few weeks ago and to my surprise I was able to.

Top Bottom